Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-03-2011, 08:07 PM   #61
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: HSV to get camaro engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buntz93ED
Like idling... or driving around town? even if it's a couple of litres of the average city driving.... that's still awesome.

You still have the reciprocating mass of all eight cylinders and friction of a much heavier driveline hindering the benefit of deactivating 4 cylinders. I believe Motor did a test with the Boss 290 xr8 and the SS 260 AFM and the XR8 achieved .2 of a litre better economy.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2011, 08:10 PM   #62
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish2
You still have the reciprocating mass of all eight cylinders and friction of a much heavier driveline hindering the benefit of deactivating 4 cylinders. I believe Motor did a test with the Boss 290 xr8 and the SS 260 AFM and the XR8 achieved .2 of a litre better economy.
But is that result singular to the GM product or would Ford get the same result?
Old 28-03-2011, 08:25 PM   #63
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
But is that result singular to the GM product or would Ford get the same result?

Ford would get the same result. At cruise you are using almost no fuel anyway so the added complexity of deactivating cylinders is pointless. A 4 cylinder has 4 cylinder fuel economy because it has a much lighter driveline, is usually in a much lighter car, and has less reciprocating mass. Put a little 4 cylinder in a heavy car and you get V8 like fuel consumption i.e. the Holden (Daewoo) Cruze.
Old 28-03-2011, 08:40 PM   #64
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Ford would get the same result. At cruise you are using almost no fuel anyway so the added complexity of deactivating cylinders is pointless. A 4 cylinder has 4 cylinder fuel economy because it has a much lighter driveline, is usually in a much lighter car, and has less reciprocating mass. Put a little 4 cylinder in a heavy car and you get V8 like fuel consumption i.e. the Holden (Daewoo) Cruze.
Umm.... EcoBoost 4cyl Falcon?
Old 28-03-2011, 09:15 PM   #65
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Umm.... EcoBoost 4cyl Falcon?

Ecoboost is Turbocharged. That changes the torque delivery to allow better acceleration with less fuel use. If you notice all the other engines that have been referred to are N/A. Ecoboost is nothing like deactivating 4 cylinders on a 5.4 or 6.0 litre V8.
Old 28-03-2011, 11:19 PM   #66
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Ecoboost is Turbocharged. That changes the torque delivery to allow better acceleration with less fuel use. If you notice all the other engines that have been referred to are N/A. Ecoboost is nothing like deactivating 4 cylinders on a 5.4 or 6.0 litre V8.
Yeah but you're not getting much boost pootling along in traffic and such.

Surely AFM saves some fuel for people with V8's in these conditions?
Old 29-03-2011, 05:42 PM   #67
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
Yeah but you're not getting much boost pootling along in traffic and such.

Surely AFM saves some fuel for people with V8's in these conditions?
As said above, AFM only works in cruise conditions like highway driving. Since you dont use much fuel then anyway, AFM doesnt save much.

Ecoboost would use a smallish turbo so boost would come on quite early. Would have plenty of pull around town. Would be similar to a turbo diesel.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2011, 05:46 PM   #68
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220
As said above, AFM only works in cruise conditions like highway driving. Since you dont use much fuel then anyway, AFM doesnt save much.

Ecoboost would use a smallish turbo so boost would come on quite early. Would have plenty of pull around town. Would be similar to a turbo diesel.
I don't think so. V8's are more fuel efficient in highway cruise... low rpm's.

But around town... AFM could save a few litres.
Old 29-03-2011, 07:05 PM   #69
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
But around town... AFM could save a few litres.
How? Where around town are you cruising at a constant speed on a flat road?
Old 29-03-2011, 07:09 PM   #70
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
How? Where around town are you cruising at a constant speed on a flat road?
Doesn't AFM use four cylinders when you don't need eight? What's the point of going to four cylinders at highway cruising speed?
Old 29-03-2011, 11:38 PM   #71
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Doesn't AFM use four cylinders when you don't need eight? What's the point of going to four cylinders at highway cruising speed?
Because that is the only time it works. Any time you put a load on the engine, it uses 8. In the city it only goes to 4 cylinders when you have no throttle application or where you are travelling down a hill. That is why it doesn't work and that is why the XR8 without AFM beat the AFM commo in a consumption test. Give it a rest.
Old 30-03-2011, 02:06 PM   #72
Happymate
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01
I didn't deny they are climbing. I don't see that they are climbing at a speed where they are going to be 600+rwkw in ten years. I was just saying the locals were putting out up to 300kw 10 years so I don't see how the power levels now are crazy.

I have a feeling my prediction for 10 years time may be closer than yours but time will tell.

Anyway I will leave it at that.

Remember they are also getting heavier! Its power to weight that people forget.
Happymate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post