Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-07-2014, 09:53 AM   #61
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Default Re: FRIDAY HULK THREAD: Have you been converted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnout View Post
In the '70's I drove Kerry Packers 5.3 twin turbo V12 HE Jag, (read 1600HP) and many more in between to.
Didn't 'Uncle' Doug Mulray have one similar ?
Old 29-07-2014, 06:04 PM   #62
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Mmmmm, Can't know, Mate.
It was built by a bloke I knew in those days, had his shop at Rushcutters Bay. He was working with Garratt Turbos then.
Another mate's old man owned Oran Park & we took it around there. Thing was huge! Kerry P loved it.

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2014, 10:10 AM   #63
Gadgetman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cars I've driven are probably too many to mention. I'll rank them in this order.
458 Italia
C63
2001 Mustang Cobra (not the car cause the car is crap but the engine OMG)
T3 TS50
VF GTS
335 GT

The underlying factor in my decision making here is that i cant go past a N/A V8. I am not a huge fan of supercharged V8's. Dont like the mechanical whine, The feel of a turbo 6 (FG) amazing. reminds me of a roller coaster ride. What's happening these days is most of the premium makes are turbo charging their 8's. BMW, Benz, ferrari etc. The most amazing feeling i have experienced is a 458 spider at 9000rpm!!! The induction note!!! the Exhaust note!!!. the engine revs so fast, you brain doesnt react quick enough to beat the led shift lights. I just want 1. Better buy a lotto ticket then
Gadgetman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2014, 06:37 PM   #64
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_I6T View Post
are you sure you didnt drive the non turbo rs imprezza?

The e series xr8 back then ran high 15s / low 16s down the quarter and a 0-100km of 8.1 seconds.. even with a few mods would be lucky to run a flat 15.

the wrx was 0-100 in 6.2 seconds and low 14s down the quarter mile. Thats stock.. easy high 13s with a mild tune.
Pretty sure

Well my coupe with it's last 'mild' street engine ran 12's at WSID in full street trim as driven every day , so no wonder it used to eat WRX's

The EL XR8 felt not much slower, and had better low down acceleration, never raced it was my misses drive to work car and family car most of the time we owned it. It would beat most things off the lights unless you were driving something pretty potent. The previous owner laid down a small fortune at Herrods Motorsport workshop, even took it to Melbourne to get the work done. Sold it off back in 07, was a shame to see it go, but we have to move on

Here is a photo of it for nostalgia purposes:

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 02-08-2014, 06:37 PM   #65
G6T

do agree glad ford gave us both a turbo 6 & v8 however i love my daily g6et,only drive DMENTD when i don't want to get traction stupid but different.
FPV BF F6 TYPHOON in TOXIC green BUILT ENGINE & MT built ZF, FORCED PERFORMANCE turbo HTA 37r Turbo e85 26psi= 525 rwkw 1162nm its DMENTD . BUILT & TUNED by ( PROFILE AUTOSPORTS ) first time on dyno after run in =
Pacific Ford and FPV Carshow - DMENTD Dyno Run base 22psi on 98 : https://youtu.be/PoONpkk7qJE
G6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2014, 09:20 AM   #66
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Its Friday!! Theres no better way to take the edge off a hard week at work and get ready for the weekend with a good hulk thread.

My question this week is "have you been converted?"

Many of us grew up with the V8 being the pinnacle of performance, whether it be the 60s, 70s or early 80s, we looked to the V8 as the performance option. Dad had one, the neighbour had one, you loved the smell of fuel and the rumbling sound of the V8.

Then in the mid 90s the little 4 cylinder turbos came onto the scene in a big way, wrx etc. They flogged the V8s of the 90s and people started to look to the turbo charged car as the performance option. Ford also released the hot n/a XR6 which was beating up on their windsor V8 as well. The V8s lost their lustre a little during this period.

The V8s in early 2000 readdressed this situation particularly with the Ls1 which largely changed the face of performance in Australia.. People werent embarrassed to drive V8s again. They shifted the goalposts performance wise in favour of the V8.

Then 2002 ford hit hard with the XR6 Turbo which really did make the holden and ford V8s seem mediocre especially after a few mods. Cars like the F6 and G6ET were subsequently released with amazing performance potential. As great as the LSX motors were or the Boss 5.4 motors, the turbo 6 cars hit them out of the park.

The car industry in general have moved away from big displacement motors for smaller motors + forced induction. V8 cars are becoming rarer and more expensive options.

Ford/FPV did the V8 proud by sticking a supercharger on it with the Miami V8 as a final fling to attempt to readdress the situation again but this time its probably a sideways move from the turbo 6 rather than a step ahead. They are basically on par at the moment.

On a personal level ive gone back n forth between turbo cars and V8s.. It seems when I buy a V8 you miss the rush and pace of the turbo car... when in the turbo car you miss that street presence, emotive feel and rumbling sound of the V8.. I sort of sway back n forth between the two.. Not sure if ive been converted as such but Im not one eyed anymore in favour of the V8s. I dont see myself as a definitive turbo man or a V8 man.

Have you been converted? Is it turbo charged cars or V8s as your weapon of choice?
I've been converted to the best Falcon ever, the mighty AU. True.

I'm not too fussed on which engine, though the 5L and 5.6L are the nicest. However the I6 in those models is a very nice and incredibly reliable workhorse.

I grew up in a lovely V8 era, and my first car was a 351 Cleveland powered Fairlane.

80's cars were fairly miserable power wise, and 90's turbo 4's do nothing for me at all.

00's cars have lost a lot of character charm, even though they have plenty of go.
For me, many of the niceties that most people want, just make the car a bland and sterile place.

The AU is a car which brings back the most memories of my first few V8's, they feel more like a Falcon should.

Long live the Windsor.

BTW, keep the great threads coming Hulk.
2 users like this post:
Old 18-11-2014, 11:40 PM   #67
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Sorry to dig this up but i am looking at a Coyote with my GT47 transplant...

Shall let you all know how it goes in front of a 2000hp T400 and a 4 link rear...
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2014, 08:53 AM   #68
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

who can afford to run a v8 as a daily??
My ex BIL had a VT berlina 5.7 which he loved but ended up in a VE berlina 3.0, he got sick of spending 150-200 per week just driving to work.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 19-11-2014, 10:07 AM   #69
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzvtil View Post
My ex BIL had a VT berlina 5.7 which he loved but ended up in a VE berlina 3.0, he got sick of spending 150-200 per week just driving to work.
Yikes, something wrong there with that fuel economy!

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2014, 10:50 AM   #70
data_mine
GT-P With An Ego
Donating Member2

yeah, that's messed up economy. The thing is either broken, or highly modified, in which case stupid to daily it.

my daily V8, costs me less than $100/wk.

Ford Performance Club of ACT
data_mine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-11-2014, 06:46 PM   #71
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Same here, daily grind + skids, $80 - 90wk

500ish ks
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2014, 08:10 PM   #72
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzvtil View Post
What was it 100kms each way to work? $200 has got to be just over 2 full tanks in a commy?

I had no problem running a v8 as a daily. 10km to work.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2014, 09:20 PM   #73
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

Well, this may earn me a tarrin' and featherin' but a while ago I test drove back to back an FG2 XR6T and a VE SSV, both autos, both demonstrators. Although the XR6T absolutely killed it speed wise I actually preferred the SSV. I felt much more at home in it, it felt more like the cars I grew up on and the sound and feel of the V8 goodness was just great. It felt like a modern version of old school cool. Just a bummer it had a Holden badge on it.

Sorry, I'm a V8 guy. Not converted.

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2014, 12:54 AM   #74
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post
Same here, daily grind + skids, $80 - 90wk

500ish ks
Thats not too bad, was costing me about $110/week on 100 octane when I was driving my Falcon (worked 6) to and from work after I busted my Focus wheel, doing about 11.5L/100km, 550km highway.

Was a big increase on the usual $35/week for diesel
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2014, 01:30 AM   #75
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
Thats not too bad, was costing me about $110/week on 100 octane when I was driving my Falcon (worked 6) to and from work after I busted my Focus wheel, doing about 11.5L/100km, 550km highway.

Was a big increase on the usual $35/week for diesel
What is the price of fun?
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2014, 02:05 AM   #76
SSD-85
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Ford V8.

Anything else is just soulless transport.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-11-2014, 08:09 AM   #77
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish2 View Post
What is the price of fun?
At the end of the day even if fuel was $2.50/L its still cheap, how much would 70L of Jack Daniels cost
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2014, 08:50 AM   #78
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There's just that something about an NA revvy Windsor at full song. Not the most powerful, not the fastest, not the newest. But in the upper rev range...

For my 2c, there's only been a few of times in my driving life where I distinctly saw the benefit of the turbo/V8 performance cars over distances in Australia. One was an open road, open speed limit run from Darwin to Katherine, which required a lot of concentration as of the road quality. I must have been going 145-155 in the Commodore V6 wagon and was at (what I judged) the limit of its useable torque and rear suspension bump stops (!), and a VS SS Ute just throttled past me. The second was a run somewhere else with a similar speed and a WRX, Evo and friends just sailed by. The third was a medical emergency and I won't go into this.

If Australia ever did return to open speed limits between capital cities, and something like global cheap airfares stopped (do they make a profit not including depreciation?), I'd much rather maintain a Windsor V8 for an 'interstater' vehicle like that. Nice and simple.

Have I been converted? Dunno, but I am fascinated by the whole 'twincharger' concept (why did they clutch the changeover between turbo and supercharger through the water pump?!?!) Have a look at the snow driving link on this page, looks outrageous fun:

http://www.caradvice.com.au/93075/vo...lo-gti-review/
Old 20-11-2014, 09:06 AM   #79
superyob
Banned

My almost stock little Windsor makes me feel like I am king of the road. I don't care if I can't go as quick as the latest Hyundai appliance, I will never swap it for a turbo 4 or 6...
superyob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2014, 09:42 AM   #80
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I drive a non Ford V8 and Turbo diesel 6 - both good to drive . Engine configuration does not really matter much ( apart from specific noise or emotional attachment for some) .
It used to be V8 for performance but that has changed. You can have performance in any configuration nowadays. It is not about converting as such it is more about technology advancement .
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2014, 04:21 PM   #81
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Is this the first unlocked Hulkster thread? If I'm not driving a v8 I get panic attacks that my engine will blow up next week. Just love the low reving nature. Just over idle doing a ton on the highway. V8's rule.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 26-11-2014, 08:02 AM   #82
HULK_I6T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeJaVu GT View Post
Is this the first unlocked Hulkster thread?
All hulk threads should be unlocked ahead of Christmas

The V8 just doesn't command the authority that it once did, so many cars out there with 0-100km/h times in the mid 5s or better which really give most v8s the hurry up in many respects... These cars are mostly turbo or even v6 n/a cars

What makes them great is that they are attached to a more exciting cars than a falcon or commodore.
HULK_I6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2014, 09:06 AM   #83
GT450
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Never a biased word from Hulk then ?
GT450
GT450 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 26-11-2014, 11:12 AM   #84
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

what?
no more friday hulk threads?

im seriously worried how i will be able to continue into the weekend
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-11-2014, 02:38 PM   #85
Bent8
Long live the GT !

Quote:

The V8 just doesn't command the authority that it once did, so many cars out there with 0-100km/h times in the mid 5s or better which really give most v8s the hurry up in many respects... These cars are mostly turbo or even v6 n/a cars

What makes them great is that they are attached to a more exciting cars than a falcon or commodore.
Hmm.. name me one NA V6 (sedan) that can do the 0-100 sprint in mid 5's ??

"Whatya think of me car, XR Falcon, 351 Blown Cleveland running Motec injection and runnin' on methanol... goes pretty hard too, got heaps of torque for chucking burnouts, IT'S UNREAL !!" - Poida
Bent8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2014, 04:10 PM   #86
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

"Koff" a magna with a 380 transplant that runs 12's up here and it's a manual

Actually the 0-100 sprint would be mid 4's for him..

My N/A 6 did it in flat 5's according to 13.4 @ 104 mph data ...
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2014, 07:44 PM   #87
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6menace View Post
"Koff" a magna with a 380 transplant that runs 12's up here and it's a manual

Actually the 0-100 sprint would be mid 4's for him..

My N/A 6 did it in flat 5's according to 13.4 @ 104 mph data ...
We talking un molested examples
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2014, 10:32 AM   #88
WHYME
Next up?

Quote:

How come you don't make anymore Hulk Friday threads?

WHYME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-11-2014, 12:52 PM   #89
Sprint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Im a skyline owner also, but I love how these turbo boys are like im the best until they meet a v8 turbo lol.

Let's mature a little and not have peen sword fights hey.
Sprint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2014, 12:56 PM   #90
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fully6 View Post
How come you don't make anymore Hulk Friday threads?
Probably been too busy. Every Friday now they have a Thomas the Tank Engine marathon on T.V.

Seriously though, I was beginning to wonder the same thing. I think some people secretly admire his threads. Come out of retirement Hulk.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post