Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-07-2011, 10:30 PM   #61
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 
Default Re: Melbourne Motor Show

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/pho...4759032?page=1

A collection of photographs, not necessarily at the show though, just some of the cars that are there...

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
SEZ213 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2011, 10:34 PM   #62
ams77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Australian International Motor Show 2011

haven't been since the 40th anniversay GT was displayed so will have a wonder. The shannon display out the front is usually interesting at what's for auction. One of our newest club members will be there with his red pepper xagt sedan so I assume there's some sort of muscle car display too.
ams77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2011, 03:05 PM   #63
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Was there last night. The HSV 'black' edition was pretty much a boring sticker pack. FPV at least did some performance mods....it looked awesome.

The SVP XR6 sedan and utes were there. The ute seemed better then the sedan (the 50th anniversary was better). But I love the seats in the ute, oh man they were nice.

First time I actually got time to sit in the new terri and it was nice. Saw a couple of faults with they way they put it together but it didn't take away how nice the car was inside.

I wanted to do a back to back comparison on the Holden and Ford touch screen systems but while I got to play with the Holden system (which seems crap) I couldn't play with the Ford one because the representatives for Ford didn't have anything to get it working. All I got was 'I can tell you it is good'. In all seriousness every other make had their touch screen systems working yet the Ford stand didn't. Absolute morons.

The Ranger was bland (the Amarok seems a much better vehicle) as was the new Focus. My mate who has one really hated the styling and the interior layout.

The LPi seems nice. Engine didn't look like the old LPG systems. Also the Ford Rep didn't like it being called a EGAS. Not sure if I'd wanna use the goo stuff instead of a spare.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:35 AM   #64
The Outsider

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
The SVP XR6 sedan and utes were there. The ute seemed better then the sedan (the 50th anniversary was better). But I love the seats in the ute, oh man they were nice.

any more details on these or some pics would be even better for those like me that are in sydney and wont be going
The Outsider is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2011, 08:34 AM   #65
V8kado
Mondeo Titanium Estate

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Outsider
any more details on these or some pics would be even better for those like me that are in sydney and wont be going
x 2.

Where are all the pics from people actually attending?
Old 03-07-2011, 01:25 PM   #66
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

If anyone is interested I can put up some pics and my thoughts if they want. I actually thought ford nailed the show, easily the best stand for interaction. I'll explain later.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2011, 02:03 PM   #67
Mercury 8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
If anyone is interested I can put up some pics and my thoughts if they want. I actually thought ford nailed the show, easily the best stand for interaction. I'll explain later.
Please do mate.By all accounts the Ford stand has been attracting very big crowds.
Mercury 8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2011, 04:22 PM   #68
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

OK well here we go, eat your heart out Josh Dowling.

Ill just go through a few photo's I took and perhaps some comments on the stands, just my opinion so dont be offended..hehe..I use a PAS so no professional stuff here sorry.

Lamborghini
What can you say, pretty unreal up close. The new Aventador (grey one) is awesome and just so wide, but it seems more of the same which I guess you could take either way. Not a fan of the name either. It would be nice IMO if they tried something different, but hey, Id be buying a house with that cash so Im not really the target audience as of yet.

Audi

I do like Audi's, but for me they are just a bit safe. Nice stand and well laid out, but all there cars look the same, its just how many doors and cylinders do you want. The corporate grill thing works but in this case its overkill IMO. You can really say anything bad, but I dont really feel any passion from them either. They did have the best pedal car I have seen in a while though.

Joss

They had this car there, and to be honest I didnt pay much attention. The one at the last show was atleast a final version with bra's etc. I dont know how these guys make money, must be a showcase based off their core business. Its nice, although a little "super car generic".

Mercedes

Quite a large stand as a good selection. I dont think I overly like the new C class front but as always the AMG models look very nice.

Hyundai

This concept was pretty niffty...that was about it.

more coming...
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 03-07-2011, 04:33 PM   #69
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Mazda

Mazda have to be one of the better companies at the moment, they really dont have a weak link so to speak, very solid all around and their stand was also large. The Shinari concept looks amazing, so did the CX5, hard to fault anything they had their.

BMW

This was weird, I looked on the site map and noticed BMW had a TINY area. TAC had a similar size. They did make up for it by having an amazing concept, which according to the stand people is slated for production in 2012 minus a few obvious concept car things.

I asked the people why the downscale, IIRC BMW used to have an area not that much smaller than the locals. Reason given was "if you would like to see our cars the showroom is across the road". Fair enough, but for mere mortal or even just car buffs I must say I was a little disappointed, always love pervving at the M cars.

Subaru

As Mazda has gone bonkers, IMO Subaru has lost the plot. I think the newer liberties and impreza's were there but they just blended in and it was a quick walk through. They had a concept AWD thing and a race car..that was about it. Even the STI cars dont do anything for me.

Holden

This was all I took, I didnt step a foot in the perimeter. I actually dont mind it, well see how much translates to the final version.

Suzuki

I didnt take any pics as I see them all the time, but the Kazashi is a sweet little car, a diesel in that would be a nice daily with AWD. This little hatch looked great too.

still going....
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 03-07-2011, 04:33 PM   #70
The Outsider

Quote:
more coming...

bring on the fords!
The Outsider is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2011, 04:48 PM   #71
Resurrection
I was correct - AGAIN

To whose who attended this year's show, has the EcoLPi generated any interest from the public? That is, how many people were floating around the display models?
Resurrection is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2011, 04:49 PM   #72
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

You asked nicely...funny when I got back I realized I didnt take to many at Ford but I will explain.

Ford

Well they had, by far, the best stand at the show. Not only was the layout brilliant, but they made what looked like a HUGE effort for interaction and evolving people..I dont think anyone else went to this length. I am not saying this because the obvious, I happy to critique Ford if they deserve it, but hands down they nailed it.

I cant even remember all the things they had, but as I was on a quest to get free posters/bags for my son Ford through a curve ball. In order to get the free flag/hat or USB stick you had to get a card and go through the stand and get it stamped four times by people in the different areas. 3D TV things, virtual driving things, engines on stands and moving etc...great. Well done Ford marketing, seems they save everything for the show...jk

Basically it forced you to interact and take in more info, GOLD. While I was busy taking pics I got my wife to do it and she even repeated stuff later over dinner...so there you go..10 points.

The new Focus is nice, the Modeo wagon that I think was full spec with sunroof and all kills any falcon wagon that existed, the new Tezz is nice, more of the same but nice. The Ranger is great and the Wildtrack looks tough. I didnt pay too much attention to the falcon range and the limited edition XR6 didnt really raise much of an eyebrow.

FPV did ok, the Black GT does look great..no question. But calling it a concept and saying that its not really a production piece is odd...just say its FG2. Because if its not many people will be out for blood. Other than the 5 minute perv at the turning GT I walked past the rest.

You can see how good that FPV press shot is, the lighting was a PIA and didnt really help the car either.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane

Last edited by Polyal; 03-07-2011 at 05:01 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:01 PM   #73
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Porsche

These guys always but in a massive effort compared to the rest of the "supercar" brands. Impressive, I love the 911 Speedster too, reminds me of a 356 rear end..im a sucker for nostalgia. The 935 is god-like.

Jaguar

Talk about a turn around, what a gorgeous range. The XF IMO is the best sedan you can buy if luxury and style is what you want..brilliant. The new XJ is also very grand the the XK is just horn...love it.

Volvo

Growing on me, although the little 3 door hatch thing in R giuse is great, looks like it would be a hoot to drive.

Maserati
Ferrari might have been absent but so what, the Massers look a million times better and have more class.

• 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 03-07-2011, 05:02 PM   #74
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

That Grey Lambo is awesome, I want.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2011, 05:04 PM   #75
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Still not a fan of the new focus. It just looks plain Jane and dull.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2011, 05:14 PM   #76
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Honda

Hmm another Japanese company that has gone a bit AWOL IMO. They had a little CRZ which is basically a hybrid interpretation of the old CRX which is a bit of a modern classic. That and the rally car where the only notable things. They really need a modern DC2 Intergra Type R or a new NSX...the range is meh.

Mitsubishi

This was about it, I cant even remember what it was called.

Toyota/Lexus

Yep, they had size but also snooze factor. The coupe being the only saving grace but a more road going version would have been better. Lexus well, the LFA is ok but the rest...meh

Bently

I dont think they reall push the envelope enough, but saying that they are nice, just a bit conservative. But since there demographic is probably 70+ then thats a good thing I guess.

And a random from a private owner, Kossen-abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz

• 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 03-07-2011, 05:17 PM   #77
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

I have a bunch of classic cars from the Motoclassica stand but if you want lots of them I have a thread in the "show n shine" section with pretty much the same cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection
To whose who attended this year's show, has the EcoLPi generated any interest from the public? That is, how many people were floating around the display models?
Not many IMO...but I was there from 7-9:30PM.

I believe Ford had the busiest stand, well, people moving about and through so I think they did well.

I dont think they did enough with the LiLPG, or I just didnt notice it, but they have so much coming out now and soon it would be hard.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 03-07-2011, 05:50 PM   #78
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Thanks for the pics and run down Polyal. I am hoping to make it down there in the next few days with my free tickets. One thing I note, you mention Mazda didn't have a weak link. I think they are about to release one (looks wise I mean). The BT50. How bad does that thing look compared to the Ranger?

Is it just me or does every rear 3/4 shot of the new Focus make it look like a 4x4?
naddis01 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2011, 07:15 PM   #79
lupin

Few of mine from the day. I fell asleep at the Subaru stand so no pics from there.

White WRX owner
lupin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2011, 07:36 PM   #80
g220ba
FGX XR8

Quote:
Couldn't agree more mate, so much for families to get involved. Whilst i was there they had some new york magician doing a "magic show" with frosty and davo.

On the ecolpi side of things, i had a good look at it and there's basically somebody there at all times to let you know what it is and all about it. The bloke probably could've had a bit better tact but still he's there.

Also whilst i was there Frosty, Will davison, Alex davison, Tim slade and the giz were all there standing around chatting between themselves whilst the crowd meandered around completely oblivious.

I ventured into enemy territory at one point and found myself wondering if i was in a showroom or at a car show. Nothing special and the only thing that stood out was the colorado concept. The crowd was reasonably sparse at the time also.

I found myself laughing constantly at some of the remarks that were being made about the cars, My favourite would have to be a conversation which involved one person telling another the new territory diesel was a 4cyl, i laughed for a while after that.

Really good show and i can highly recommend going if you get the chance.
g220ba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2011, 08:05 PM   #81
Venomous1
5.0 means business

Came looking for XR6 limited versions....?

Something I can actually afford.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:17 PM   #82
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Mate it's an XR falcon...I'd be finding a low k 50th anni before the LE.

Funny it came up in conversation, who really uses the motorshow to buy something? No one I know, so BMW do make a good point, hence why most of my pics are high end or concepts.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 03-07-2011, 08:21 PM   #83
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Naddis01....I had a quick look at the BT50....it looks alright but IMO the styling is a huge gamble. Yes it's Mazda but all the other pickups are fairly blokey. They had one with bars and spotties which manned it up a bit.

Will most trades buy it?....maybe....I would tip perhaps architects would look at it like hairdressers buy Celica's....hehe

G220b yes, I overheard some amazing statements and if I wasn't with my partner I would have joined in for a laugh.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 03-07-2011, 08:33 PM   #84
music189
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Went last night
Fords stand was prety good
New Terri mmm dont think its different enough from mine to spend the dosh The front stucture is diferent behind the headlights etc but aft of the front seats its all the same
I look at things from an enginering point if veiw as well, I had a student engineer with me
New Focus sedan not bad but have alook at the boot hinges OMG what were they thinking! massive bent pipes with hugh garage door type springs and a gas strut way inside,if you loaded the boot up oops there goes the strut and the hinges would smash any thing high in the boot Took my student mate over to the "Aussie designed "Falcon have a look at that boot hinge.Ford Aussie engineers are way better
Ford need to use our guys way more

Sat in the new Benz's, nothing that flash and the centre console lid, WTF just to be diferent, but why?All looked a bit cheap Red SLS AMG great colour
best luxury car you can sit in the XJ jag, veeery nice but $290000 a bit much for me
The FT -86 Toyota was pretty good looking especially if they get it here for close to $30000

Dumbest design fault??Peugoet 3008 rear seat belt lays across the seat back catch so when you push the seat back to its correct possie it damages the safety belt ,oops what a stuff up that is

I love looking for that sort of stuff!!

all up a great show as usual 3 hours wasn't enough
music189 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2011, 08:34 PM   #85
b2tf
not here much anymore

Thanks to those who took the effort to get some pics and a writeup of what is there. Im thinking about a last minute trip down to the show next weekend.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:41 PM   #86
winkle

My son and I were there this afternoon. Mazda have completely lost the plot - the new BT50 is just plain embarrassing: it is a totally girlie ute and I can't imagine any tradie that I know (and I know heaps) would ever buy one.

Loved the black GT 'concept' - looks every bit as good in the flesh.

There were some great cars in the Motorclassica stand. An original 60's Mercedes Gullwing, a very tidy XY GT, a Dino, and a few others. Also some great cars out the front for the upcoming Shannon's auction.
winkle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2011, 09:38 PM   #87
music189
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkle
My son and I were there this afternoon. Mazda have completely lost the plot - the new BT50 is just plain embarrassing: it is a totally girlie ute and I can't imagine any tradie that I know (and I know heaps) would ever buy one.

Loved the black GT 'concept' - looks every bit as good in the flesh.

There were some great cars in the Motorclassica stand. An original 60's Mercedes Gullwing, a very tidy XY GT, a Dino, and a few others. Also some great cars out the front for the upcoming Shannon's auction.
Yeah did you see the datsun 1200 coupe $8-10000 and Brocks Humpy he raced at Festival of Speed for $350000 +
music189 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2011, 09:59 PM   #88
V8kado
Mondeo Titanium Estate

Also another big thanks for those who posted pics and stories, especially to Polyal. Man, that write up was sensational. Good Stuff!
Old 03-07-2011, 10:32 PM   #89
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quick question. Is the show pram friendly or are they a no go?
naddis01 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2011, 10:48 PM   #90
Bossxr8
Peter Car

So BMW, does your showroom happen to have a new M5 in it. Oh it doesn't.

Dummkopfs.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post