Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 26-06-2009, 10:55 PM   #61
SVTVNM
Guzzler

A little of topic, but these fools went beyond moronic! On the Westgate freeway today about 2:30pm, traffic was flowing at 90-100kph, getting close to the ring road exit these two @#$%!@$#(insert swear-word here)driving a VW passat and I think the other was a Honda Integra, Entered the freeway from an on ramp, and proceeded to go through traffic(fast & furious style) at an easily estimated 160=kph even using the shoulder to get past cars, I was absolutuely dumbfounded. I just wish there had been an police car in the traffic somewhere. I don't scare easy when behind the wheel but as the went of in the distance I was just waiting for carnage because it seemed inevitable.
Old 26-06-2009, 10:55 PM   #62
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
why is it illegal to overtake in a school zone??
most school 40kph are on 6 lane hwy!!

Really, many of the schools I have seen are on two lane roads, some on 4 lane. Going past another slower car is not illegal if you have your own lane as that is not overtaking. If you are in the same lane and you overtake, that is illegal in a school zone.
Old 26-06-2009, 11:13 PM   #63
2.8L Hilux
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is why I miss my old Diesel Hilux. If someone was tailgating me I'd put the car in 5th (labouring) and plant the throttle. They'd soon be covered in a cloud of thick black diesel smoke, like a bush fire it was
Old 26-06-2009, 11:16 PM   #64
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.8L Hilux
This is why I miss my old Diesel Hilux. If someone was tailgating me I'd put the car in 5th (labouring) and plant the throttle. They'd soon be covered in a cloud of thick black diesel smoke, like a bush fire it was

F350 ambulances are pretty good at that too, nice big turbo diesel=lots of smoke :
Old 26-06-2009, 11:56 PM   #65
prydey
Rob

i can't believe how many people feel it is their 'duty' to educate and teach fellow road users.

whatever happened to just driving. if someone is tailgating you it isn't your job to teach them a lesson. more often than not the lesson won't be grasped anyway.

how hard is it to obey road rules. driving is a privilege. i don't care how others like to drive. i make sure (most times) that i'm doing the right thing. you'd be surprised how much less stressful driving is if you allow plenty of time for your journey as well. this isn't to say i drive with my head in the clouds. quite the opposite.
Old 27-06-2009, 12:08 AM   #66
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

I copped it the other day in an 80 zone on the highway (due to road works). I sat on cruise at 80 and this bogan WOMAN in a commodore (of course) was sitting on my tail waving her middle finger at me, tooting and trying to scream at me. I don't understand these people who think they can intimidate you and make you speed for them. I ended up slowing to 70 to teach her some patience.
Old 27-06-2009, 01:12 PM   #67
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

I am quite right, driving badly or poorly, IS a *national pastime* here in Australia, and its all quite deliberate. We actually take delight in doing so and even admit it here.

I blame, in part, the removal of rural speed derestriction (//) and ongoing dumbing-down societal engineering programs adopted into the western developed countries like Australia, GB, USA, Canada, Germany.

Seemingly 'soft' sentences for serious crime, immigration - that sees pressure on infrustructure and kinship, also manifests itself on the roads; - because its an easy way of showing others how ****ed off you are for whatever reason really.

Explains in behavioral outcome why we simply ignore many a speed-limit (too many zones and 'low' settings), or ignore many a double-lined road and overtake regardless, sometimes ignore STOP signs, or why we switch on front fogs in clear weather, use indicators sparingly, sit too-close - but not necessarily taillgate, weave, leave the kerbside without notice/indicator etc.

We deliberately play 'block' on major freeway/motorway roads simply to watch passing traffic then weave into the left-lane and right-lane simultaneously to overtake. We might even use tow a trailer as the excuse, just in case.

You name it - driving badly is Aussie-to-a-core, it is a normal behaviour here.

And the screws keep on tightening, making it worse . . . .
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf

Last edited by Keepleft; 27-06-2009 at 01:25 PM.
Old 27-06-2009, 04:33 PM   #68
Seduce XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.8L Hilux
I knew Many of you Diesel drivers did this deliberatly to annoy Car drivers Behind you & Finally 1 of you Admits it :

You do know are Cancer Causing agents in Diesel Fumes/ smoke etc

The reason maybe Diesel Drivers are Tailgated is because they are so Damm slow to get off the line, Drive slow in general & yes Blow Smoke which you think is Funny but makes the drivers behind you want to pass you as soon as they can & cranky as well.

Does not overly bother me anymore with my Charcoal Filter & vent closed to incoming air which I always do now as soon as I come up behind a Hilux Diesel driver.

That you do it & think it is funny is an amazing act if Rudeness on your part & you know that person you think is Tailgating may not even know he or she is doing it, my Wife drives pretty close but she never would do it in anger or Tailgate (I would & Do)
Old 27-06-2009, 04:42 PM   #69
Seduce XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
You've got me fascinated. What is it that you do for a living that requires you to be in such a hurry and requiring other road users to part the road for you so you can reach your destination 27 seconds quicker?

Mr Rudd, is that you?
I am actually a Sedate driver these days & am Happy to sit 4 car lengths off the back of others if they are doing a reasonable speed, even if they are doing 80 in a 100 zone I am still ok with that.

But to do 30 kmh in a 40 zone which should not be 40 at the time because nobody is working on the road & roadworks or grass cutting has not affected the road in any way in a safety sense is just Nuts & yes ****es me off no end!

So I am mostly not in a hurry & patient until a situation is just wrong.

What gives the driver in front of me who is going so very slow the right to hold up myself & 20 cars behind me, is he Kevin Rudd?

See if we have 1 slow driver his rights do not come close to the 20 drivers behind him he is slowing up to a crawl & you know why, he is 1 & we would be 21 :
Old 27-06-2009, 04:46 PM   #70
yetchh
go bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft
I am quite right, driving badly or poorly, IS a *national pastime* here in Australia, and its all quite deliberate. We actually take delight in doing so and even admit it here.

You name it - driving badly is Aussie-to-a-core, it is a normal behaviour here.

And the screws keep on tightening, making it worse . . . .

hah.. funny that, i actually thought most drove ok over here.. if you want bad driving you should try NZ.. its horrific, i remember when i was younger being over taken by a torana when doing around 130 who cut me off when another car came round the corner then his dumb missus gave me the finger.. NO one lets you in anywhere, courtesy in non existent there.. all though nobody runs orange lights like they do here
1977 RX4/929 coupe in epoxy finally
1976 121 Cosmo 2l turbo

Last edited by Laminge; 27-06-2009 at 07:42 PM.
Old 27-06-2009, 07:38 PM   #71
T_Terror
The Guy You Love To Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
I cannot for the life of me think of any reason any tradie or business man or whatever has any reason that justifies driving dangerously through school zones. I have driven through school zones under lights and siren to a medical emergency but I still slow down and give people some room. Even in life and death cases, it is not worth killing a kid. Anyone that thinks they need to speed through, I would suggest they need to time manage better. If my plumber arrived 2 mins late because he had to slow down for a school zone, big deal!
I dont think anyone in this thread is advocating driving dangerously past a school, not sure where you are going with this.
Quote:
I do not remember many saying they like to intentionally jump on the brakes to slow people down for fun, just not be bullied by inconsiderate and dangerous drivers trying to speed through school zones. I would not move either and in fact I would slow down too.
Once again, I wasnt refering specifically to school zones, more towards general driving behaviour.
Quote:
For one thing, it is illegal to overtake in a school zone. Secondly, if you were behind me and I was to brake, causing you to run up my rear end, it will not hurt me as it would be at a speed less than 40km/h. Not to mention it would be your fault and you would have a very expensive car to repair. Yes you may claim that I did it intentionally, but prove it, I may have seen a kid about to run out and had a bit of a panic moment, which I am allowed to. Finally if you were to overtake me (illegal in a school zone) and then dive in front and throw out the anchors, I am sure a lot of people in the school zone would see and I would have a lot of witnesses. Please do that to me, I need my front bar re sprayed (has some gutter rash) and I would love for you to pay for it. I just have to prove that you over took me in an unsafe manner, you jumped in front and braked without giving me safe clearance, easy to do with all my witnesses.
Relax with the school zones.
But if you really want to go there then *hypothetically* if I was inclined to be a kent and cut you off+ anchors then id wait for a safer area probably a 60 zone with few witnesses.
Like you said, its tough to prove that you werent at fault when you are the one with front damage in a collision.

Quote:
On the open road, I normally do, if I can safely. Does not happen much as I am normally moving with the flow. If someone wants to drive at a speed that is unsafe for the conditions, bully for them (I will probably see them at work one day). In a school zone, no way, you want me to pull off the road so that you can speed through, not a chance.
Quote:
When they were 60 zones, with most going through at 70+, we had more school zone accidents, simple. As for why do we need the signs, they are designed for the lowest common demominator, being the guy that can not work out all the cars on the side of the road and the kids about does not allow speeds over about 40. The reaction time and braking distance to pull up is likely to be too large. A car travelling at 40kmh can pull up in about 7m, a car travelling at 60 will take about 20m. A kid running out from behind a parked car might be only 5m away. The 40km/h will knock him down but not kill, the 60km/h car will hit him at about 45km/h and would kill a child, does that make sense?
A typical "Harold Scruby" response.
Youre right, braking distance for a car travelling at 60kmh IS shorter than for a car at 40kmh, using this "how-long-is-a-piece-of-string" logic maybe its time everyone manned up, and finally dropped the speed limit to 20kmh to save even more lives.
Ive been there and had a a kid run out from behind a parked car in a car park at car park speeds (try saying that out aloud) and I had no chance of stopping in time, luckily their friend pulled them back when they were centimetres from my bumper.
A better solution would be to install a barrier or even better, a leash :
ANd besides, any kid that spends their time running out onto a road without looking probably isnt going to last long on this world regardless... :evil3:
Old 27-06-2009, 08:00 PM   #72
qwiksix

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD
+1 on this view.
<snip>....
I find myself, as I have matured in road use, travelling at ever varying speeds through back streets.
I started out on my P's when the back streets were 60 and I was always doing 60 cause I was allowed to, then 50 zones came about and I did 60 most of the time, cause that's what it used to be.
....<snip>
This made me think back, and the issue I have now is that the speed zones change so much all over the place. I am almost getting paranoid when I drive.
- Even on several main roads around me, the speed limits vary from 60,70 and 80 almost at random on the one road. I can guarantee you that I've driven 20km/h under the speed limit at some places, granny style.
- It's very easy to miss a speed sign on a multi-lane highway with a truck, van or 4WD to your left blocking your view. They change the speed so frequently, that it's a fact of life that you will miss one. I wondered why everyone was dawdling along recently in a 70 zone, and only figured it out when I saw the "End School Zone" sign. Lucky there were cars in front of me which prevented me from going 70.
- While most of the 'off main' streets are 50, there are plenty of streets, some even 4 lanes!, that are going to 50 as well. Why the hell bother?
- There's a couple of roads I travel that have bushes/trees that hide the 40km/h start of school zones signs. I've had people driving on my *** and I guarantee they didn't see them.

I guess I just try to be patient. If there's an ahole following too close, then I'm happy to move out of the way so they can get as far away from me as possible if I can safely do so. If not, I'll give a couple of taps on the brakes without actually slowing down. Most times, they get the message and back off.

qs

PS: I am also very proud that I survived my time as a kid when the speed limit was 60 on all streets :-D
Old 27-06-2009, 08:18 PM   #73
fangq

[QUOTE=XW_GS]Really!!

i still see it happening, aggresive (mostly tradies) verbally abusing law abiding citizens trying, to do the safe thing by sticking to the 40kph limit during school times protecting our children, MY CHILRDEN.

The other day i saw this aggressive a/hole harrassing an older couple on Stephensons road Mt Waverley cause they where doing the RIGHT thing.

In school zones, do the right thing. If I have some ( insert expletive deleted )
tailgating me in those areas, I make a point of lowering all 3 mirrors. What are they going to do..ram you ??

Steve
Old 27-06-2009, 08:30 PM   #74
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
I dont think anyone in this thread is advocating driving dangerously past a school, not sure where you are going with this.
Simple, that is what the thread is about. Trying to keep the discussion on topic rather than expanding into whinging about generalised driving habits and abilities which always degenerates into thread closure with nil end of discussion reached, does that work for you?

As for the how long is a piece of string, that is a question that has no set answer. I was trying to demonstrate the differences in braking distance and therefore the effect of different speeding limits in high risk zones such as school zones. This is a set effect that is predictable as a matter of physics, double the amount of speed requires quadruple the distance to stop. A Veyron with 400mm, 8 spot ceramic brakes will still take four times the distance to stop from double the speed, it does not change.

Quote:
ANd besides, any kid that spends their time running out onto a road without looking probably isnt going to last long on this world regardless...
Great attitude, love your work.

Thats enough from me, I get bored talking to deaf ears very easily.
Old 27-06-2009, 09:08 PM   #75
prydey
Rob

Quote:
thats a shame as i appreciate your comments as your perspective is very real given your line of work.

its a shame that there are those out there so focused on themselves that they can't see the bigger picture. heaven forbid if someone is held up and reach their destination 30sec later. even if its 5min would it really matter.

people constantly refer back to how it used to be. well things change. its a fact of life. there is also a lot more people and cars around these days. the govt also know that people will always 'creep' over the speed limit. they know that in a 60 zone, a fair % of people will be doing closer to 65-70. they need to draw a line somewhere and 40 seems to be it for now.

as for roadworks, it only takes one idiot to fly though and run out of talent, and ruin someones life. in S.A. we still get 25km/h for roadworks. rules are set to allow for the lowest denominator. they can't have a rule for one and another for someone else.

a lot of the time the people that tailgate and appear 'on a mission' are not even aware they are doing it or annoying others as they are in their own little world.
Old 27-06-2009, 09:21 PM   #76
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
thats a shame as i appreciate your comments as your perspective is very real given your line of work.

Thanks, the thing is there are only so many times you can hit your head on a brick wall before it begins to give you a headache.

Closing thought, it is not hard to see where the ridiculous speed limits have come from when you look at some of the attitudes here.
Old 27-06-2009, 09:36 PM   #77
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Closing thought, it is not hard to see where the ridiculous speed limits have come from when you look at some of the attitudes here.
too true
Old 27-06-2009, 10:09 PM   #78
T_Terror
The Guy You Love To Hate

Quote:
Great attitude, love your work.

But we were having so much fun... :dr_Evil:
Old 27-06-2009, 11:10 PM   #79
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seduce XR6
I am actually a Sedate driver these days & am Happy to sit 4 car lengths off the back of others if they are doing a reasonable speed, even if they are doing 80 in a 100 zone I am still ok with that.

But to do 30 kmh in a 40 zone which should not be 40 at the time because nobody is working on the road & roadworks or grass cutting has not affected the road in any way in a safety sense is just Nuts & yes ****es me off no end!

See if we have 1 slow driver his rights do not come close to the 20 drivers behind him he is slowing up to a crawl & you know why, he is 1 & we would be 21
Which is a daily occurance, I'm sure...?

You're happy to do 20 under in one instance but protest at 10 under and have the driver put in stocks for holding up 20 others in another. That makes absolutely no sense to me.

Their rights on the road are to travel at or under the posted speed limit in a manner deemed safe by them - not you. If that happens to be a little slower than you and 20 other motorists behind them, tough.
Old 27-06-2009, 11:33 PM   #80
Joshvee
A New Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
Which is a daily occurance, I'm sure...?

You're happy to do 20 under in one instance but protest at 10 under and have the driver put in stocks for holding up 20 others in another. That makes absolutely no sense to me.

Their rights on the road are to travel at or under the posted speed limit in a manner deemed safe by them - not you. If that happens to be a little slower than you and 20 other motorists behind them, tough.
Agree entirely. Some ppl in this forum actually believe that it's illeagal to travel below the speed limit. well guess what, it's not. The speed limit is just that.... a LIMIT. It's the MAXIMUM limit that you are allowed to go on that road. But there is no law stating that you have to do it or even be near it.
If someone is enjoying a "Sunday drive" with their family, and doing 40 in a 60 zone to look at the scenery, it may be selfish of them and anoying and frustraiting to you, but it's their right. And it's not your right to abuse them or tailgate. If you do then YOU are breaking the law.
Old 28-06-2009, 01:15 AM   #81
burnz
VFII SS UTE

(1) No person shall drive a motor vehicle at such a slow speed as to impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic except when reduced speed is necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law: PROVIDED, That a person following a vehicle driving at less than the legal maximum speed and desiring to pass such vehicle may exceed the speed limit, subject to the provisions of RTA 46.61.120 on highways having only one lane of traffic in each direction, at only such a speed and for only such a distance as is necessary to complete the pass with a reasonable margin of safety.

(2) Whenever the secretary of transportation or local authorities within their respective jurisdictions determine on the basis of an engineering and traffic investigation that slow speeds on any part of a highway unreasonably impede the normal movement of traffic, the secretary or such local authority may determine and declare a minimum speed limit thereat which shall be effective when appropriate signs giving notice thereof are erected. No person shall drive a vehicle slower than such minimum speed limit

extract rta nsw
Old 28-06-2009, 01:24 AM   #82
Joshvee
A New Convert

Quote:
(1) No person shall drive a motor vehicle at such a slow speed as to impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic except when reduced speed is necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law: PROVIDED, That a person following a vehicle driving at less than the legal maximum speed and desiring to pass such vehicle may exceed the speed limit, subject to the provisions of RTA 46.61.120 on highways having only one lane of traffic in each direction, at only such a speed and for only such a distance as is necessary to complete the pass with a reasonable margin of safety.

(2) Whenever the secretary of transportation or local authorities within their respective jurisdictions determine on the basis of an engineering and traffic investigation that slow speeds on any part of a highway unreasonably impede the normal movement of traffic, the secretary or such local authority may determine and declare a minimum speed limit thereat which shall be effective when appropriate signs giving notice thereof are erected. No person shall drive a vehicle slower than such minimum speed limit

extract rta nsw
i stand corrected
Old 28-06-2009, 01:29 AM   #83
burnz
VFII SS UTE

unfortunatly the law is the same as keep left unless overtaking, never been inforced!!
Old 28-06-2009, 08:26 AM   #84
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshvee
If someone is enjoying a "Sunday drive" with their family, and doing 40 in a 60 zone to look at the scenery, it may be selfish of them and anoying and frustraiting to you, but it's their right. And it's not your right to abuse them or tailgate. If you do then YOU are breaking the law.
Now *that's* a little different in my opinion. Completely different from travelling 10 slower through a construction zone, manned or not.

If there is ample room for them to let vehicles behind pass, I have no problem with people sight seeing at a slow speed from their car. I've slowed under the speed limit to allow passengers to see something in particular from the car, I'm sure we've all done it at some stage but I wouldn't do it if I was impeding someone behind me.

As for being booked for it, if you're impeding traffic significantly, ie doing 30 in a 60, there's a possibility you will if you get spotted. I've only ever seen that law trotted out for staying in an overtaking lane travelling well under the posted limit with no reasonable excuse.
Old 28-06-2009, 09:19 AM   #85
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flail
I've got a big problem with the guards at the "children crossing" right near my home (farrington rd perth)...

They stop me from getting to work on time to let not only the TEENAGERS cross, which is retarded but ok that's why they are there... But then they stop traffic to let goddamn 20/30/40/50 YEAR OLDS cross the road! I can't always stop myself from abusing the out of them, and the "adult" going past.. god save me from old heros with flags..
HAHAHAHA You Clown, the flag bearer actually stops people crossing continually on the pedestrian crossing thus stopping the flow of traffic completely. So they are actually helping you get through quicker!!!

Go to the nearest traffic Authority and hand in your driver's license ..
: : : :
Old 28-06-2009, 10:17 AM   #86
XRSIKS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you dont like people sitting up your ***..... come drive in canberra......

Does not matter if im in my 6 or my 8... my rear end must smell like roses, because everyone wants to be up it. Does not matter if its Grandma in a ford Laser , or bob the business man in his Holden, or even the builders in their trucks, an 80 or 100 sign, is 20km slower than they all want to drive.
BF MK II XR8 - ToXiC...
Toyota Camry Altise

After a patient 2 years...
Now Driving...

2010 FG XR6 - Sunburst!
Old 28-06-2009, 10:21 AM   #87
burnz
VFII SS UTE

no red light's in A.C.T. either!
well they havent noticed them.
Old 28-06-2009, 10:23 AM   #88
XRSIKS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
no red light's in A.C.T. either!
well they havent noticed them.

Oh theres lots of red lights.........

Orange means go faster though, didn't you know that?
BF MK II XR8 - ToXiC...
Toyota Camry Altise

Now Driving...

2010 FG XR6 - Sunburst!
Old 28-06-2009, 10:25 AM   #89
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNBXR
If you dont like people sitting up your ***..... come drive in canberra......

Does not matter if im in my 6 or my 8... my rear end must smell like roses, because everyone wants to be up it. Does not matter if its Grandma in a ford Laser , or bob the business man in his Holden, or even the builders in their trucks, an 80 or 100 sign, is 20km slower than they all want to drive.
Your only annoyed cause your a P-Plater. Wait till your on your opens
Old 28-06-2009, 10:26 AM   #90
XRSIKS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
Your only annoyed cause your a P-Plater. Wait till your on your opens
I drive work cars every day, no P plates on that :P
BF MK II XR8 - ToXiC...
Toyota Camry Altise

Now Driving...