Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 18-06-2015, 09:00 PM   #61
minheim

Default Re: Car you drive as a % of income

On the face of it; he has a good paying entry level job so he is off to a good start compared to many others his age and he also has a car that he likes. Without knowing how much he borrowed or what his other financial circumstances are who can make any judgement and really why should they.

For all we know he could have received a lump sum off his parents as a gift; have saved hard; got an inheritance; has an otherwise low cost frugal lifestyle and/or maybe he is paying his parents off rather than a bank. He might also see the car as a long term keeper and something that won't be available new post 2017. He might also be an only child and can expect to inherit a house and more when older so he can live the dream now.
This user likes this post:
Old 18-06-2015, 09:05 PM   #62
Falcman0o7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
Don't get married or have kids is the most financially viable option in this day and age. Spend the money saved by avoiding these 2 activities, on things you love most..
IMO Anyone that avoids having a family for material things is going to be a very lonely old bugger with crap that will no longer bring them joy joy feelings.
Old 18-06-2015, 09:07 PM   #63
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If he hasn't got any kids, doesn't drink/smoke/gamble/party/eat take-away..then those repayments would be a walk in the park.
Old 18-06-2015, 09:21 PM   #64
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

HULK my car is a clapped out 2000 honda accord that is a had me down from my mum would I be driving this at 33 hell no if I made enough I'd get a f6.

Yes my car is a piece of crap the auto flares and slips into gear the struts are gone but I'm grateful to have it it's reliable it get's me from a too b yes, and yes the only reason I drive it is cause of my financial situation but I also beleive in not getting into too much debt will only borrow max 40& of a car's value so I'm not beyond my means.
Old 18-06-2015, 09:23 PM   #65
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I must be a real idiot then.
I bought a $50 plus thousand dual cab for cash and I don't have any income!
4 users like this post:
Old 18-06-2015, 09:53 PM   #66
HULK_I6T
Banned

I know two guys that drive a amg c63

One bought it brand new for $150k+ and its less than 50% of his income

The other guy is a fair bit younger, bought his c63 2nd hand with 80,000km, paid it $75k but its still more than 100% of his income. Pretender.
Old 18-06-2015, 09:55 PM   #67
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The young guy who goes out and spends 90 grand on a future classic and keeps it till he's an old man is probably better off than the rest of the motoring public that spends 20-30 grand updating their Hyundai or Toyota every 7 or 8 years.
3 users like this post:
Old 18-06-2015, 10:12 PM   #68
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford View Post
Ours is worth 500% of our income but we expect the world to end in 3 weeks so it's not an issue.
Oh not again, last time it ended I missed the big party, Hope I'm not busy this time or looking the other way.

JP
2 users like this post:
Old 18-06-2015, 10:13 PM   #69
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_I6T View Post

The other guy is a fair bit younger, bought his c63 2nd hand with 80,000km, paid it $75k but its still more than 100% of his income. Pretender.
Of course you do..............
2 users like this post:
Old 18-06-2015, 10:14 PM   #70
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

How is he a pretender? he has the car! he is not pretending, he has the car and not by renting one, so Id suggest riding in the passenger seat with an inflated sense of ego 'cause me mates got one' is pretending.

JP
2 users like this post:
Old 18-06-2015, 10:21 PM   #71
LyleXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Im not talking about car repayments...

Im talking about value of the car vs income..

HSV VF GTS is a $95k car.

If hes earning $60k at best...

Those numbers say hes trying to be bigger than he is.
My mortgages total $360,000
My household income is $210,000
Am I a pretender?, am I living beyond my means? Am I trying to be bigger than I am?
This user likes this post:
Old 18-06-2015, 10:27 PM   #72
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have you asked him why he didnt just get a 5 sec Camry ?
Old 18-06-2015, 10:29 PM   #73
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hulky boy does have a sort of point...
An old adage drilled into me buy many a wiser old person, why are they always wiser? Hmmm???

Drive a car worth half your annual salary and live in a house worth three times your salary and you will be financially secure. I wonder how that stacks up today?

We are doing ok and are pretty much line ball with that philosophy? Admittedly their are 4 cars and no payments on them and we own the house so no more payments either, Im showing off again sorry? pretending to be wise.
Balls.

JP
Old 18-06-2015, 10:31 PM   #74
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:

do i really need to put up a closure reason?
7 users like this post:
Closed Thread