Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-04-2010, 02:45 AM   #61
Stoney!
Happy Volkswagen owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith
Very, very few Falcon taxi's are brand new cars, rather auction bought low kay cars. So Ford's sales are not effected.

I've seen quite a number of new Commodore taxi's getting around with SIDI or LPG badges when it was new.

Stoney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04redxr8
Holden are kicking the enemy when they are down. Trouble is Ford seems to lay down a lot.
Stoney! is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2010, 07:17 AM   #62
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoney!
I've seen quite a number of new Commodore taxi's getting around with SIDI or LPG badges when it was new.

Stoney!
If Holden is offering retail customers cars at $35,990, how much do fleets pay for an Omega?
Makes you wonder, whether Holden is chasing down every fleet sale at any cost.
No wonder Ford isn't interested in fleet sales, who would if you had to match $29,000 or such...
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2010, 08:04 AM   #63
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
its hard to believe that the vw or the prius would be cheaper in the long term, give it 5 years have another look at the taxi fleets.
An $11,000 per year saving over a Falcon is what the taxi driver in Townsville told me when I was asking about the Prius I was in.
Old 19-04-2010, 08:40 AM   #64
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
If Holden is offering retail customers cars at $35,990, how much do fleets pay for an Omega?
Makes you wonder, whether Holden is chasing down every fleet sale at any cost.
No wonder Ford isn't interested in fleet sales, who would if you had to match $29,000 or such...
What are you talking about?? that is the price for an XR6, so what is the difference?
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2010, 11:57 AM   #65
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

what about the silent killer guys, resale.
The falcon already has just about the poorest resale value of any car on the road,
if the taxis do defect from ford, what will happen to the thousands upon thousands of near new fords that won't be bought by taxi operators?
Old 19-04-2010, 01:42 PM   #66
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Cant wait for the Taxi operator to grin as he does the sums and realizes he's saved 20k over three years... then his you beaut VW DSG poo's itself and needs a 20k reco.
Old 19-04-2010, 01:56 PM   #67
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlewy86
Cant wait for the Taxi operator to grin as he does the sums and realizes he's saved 20k over three years... then his you beaut VW DSG poo's itself and needs a 20k reco.
After 3 years he will sell it to a wrecker (or some VW forum enthusiast who will be able to fix it for half the price) and buy a new one. After all it is half paid for already, isn't it?
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2010, 02:58 PM   #68
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
What are you talking about?? that is the price for an XR6, so what is the difference?
The difference is that Holden's fleet buyers pay nowhere near that already discounted price.

Ford is not interested in selling cars for less than that price and the days
of fleets expecting 25-40% discounts on XTs are well and truly gone.
Old 19-04-2010, 04:34 PM   #69
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Quote:
The difference is that Holden's fleet buyers pay nowhere near that already discounted price.

Except for Taxi driver's, arent most companies now getting at least the model above the base anyway? Plus a lot have switched to diesels to appear more "ecofriendly".
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2010, 04:49 PM   #70
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I dispute that, Ford still offer us fleet discounts comparable to Holden (in utes, maybe sedans are different?).

Also the Falcon XT and XR6 have now become the default rental car, I cant remember the last time I got a Aurion or Commodore. I would imagine the rental car market would be the most cut-throat fleet market around. Although I only rent with Avis and Thrifty which is why I might not come across the others.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2010, 05:04 PM   #71
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
I dispute that, Ford still offer us fleet discounts comparable to Holden (in utes, maybe sedans are different?).

Also the Falcon XT and XR6 have now become the default rental car, I cant remember the last time I got a Aurion or Commodore. I would imagine the rental car market would be the most cut-throat fleet market around. Although I only rent with Avis and Thrifty which is why I might not come across the others.
I don't dispute that you get a discount but I doubt that it's anywhere
near the 40% discount that Holden used to offer government fleets.

I remember when Omegas were around $22K - $23K and Ford said enough and pulled back
to a maximum 25% discount, not long after that they pulled out of the taxi business.
People often wonder why Falcon doesn't sell in the same quantities as holden, that's your answer...

The reason you get so many Falcons as fleet rentals now is because a lot of customers request them,
fleet companies responding to their customers wishes so make of that what you will
Old 19-04-2010, 06:03 PM   #72
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoney!

Stoney!
I don't doubt you however how many brand new FG's are being turned into cabs is the more relevant question?
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2010, 06:28 PM   #73
Stoney!
Happy Volkswagen owner

That I can't answer, but just the subtle model differences I have noticed have made me realise they do at least buy some new cars and I'm sure it applies to the falcon also.

Stoney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04redxr8
Holden are kicking the enemy when they are down. Trouble is Ford seems to lay down a lot.
Stoney! is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2010, 06:37 PM   #74
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith
I don't doubt you however how many brand new FG's are being turned into cabs is the more relevant question?

Well City Ford has their own Taxi fleet manager. Trust me cab companies buy a lot of brand new Falcons. Tax and fleet incentives ensure it.

Even on Ford's own website:

"Taking this further, Ford Australia announced on July 24, 2009 that it will introduce an advanced liquid-injection LPG system for the Ford Falcon in 2010, providing customers with the most advanced LPG technology on the market and making the Falcon even more attractive to private, taxi and fleet customers."
Old 19-04-2010, 06:48 PM   #75
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

To give you an idea of a taxi company's buying power:

http://www.yellowcab.com.au/news/?fu...75&ct_id=0&i=1

The taxi company itself was selling brand new Falcons in 2008!

The idea that all Falcon cabs are from govt auctions is a myth.
Old 19-04-2010, 07:10 PM   #76
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
I remember when Omegas were around $22K - $23K and Ford said enough and pulled back
to a maximum 25% discount, not long after that they pulled out of the taxi business.
People often wonder why Falcon doesn't sell in the same quantities as holden, that's your answer...
Also the fact that you can still get VZ utes as a fleet vehicle.
Old 19-04-2010, 07:19 PM   #77
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm not conviced taxi companies buy that many new falcons (In Sydney anyway).. The FG has been out for over 2 years & I've only seen 1-2 FG taxis in all that time!!
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2010, 07:22 PM   #78
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
To give you an idea of a taxi company's buying power:

http://www.yellowcab.com.au/news/?fu...75&ct_id=0&i=1

The taxi company itself was selling brand new Falcons in 2008!

The idea that all Falcon cabs are from govt auctions is a myth.
August 2008, the FG was already out..
If you read the link you provided, you would see that there were only three 2008 BF II SR Falcons for sale at the time.
At the time, the last of those SRs were being advertised at other dealerships for around $28,990 drive away.
They may have been advertising them for or sourcing them from Southside Ford.

Using that as a basis to prove that the majority of Taxis are
not sourced from Government auctions is pretty flimsy.

Granted, they are a registered dealership but can you quote any recent offers?
I can't find a one on their present site.
Old 19-04-2010, 07:37 PM   #79
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
After 3 years he will sell it to a wrecker (or some VW forum enthusiast who will be able to fix it for half the price) and buy a new one. After all it is half paid for already, isn't it?
Sure, because when these trick common rail diesels or twin clutch automated manual tansmissions pack up, they're a diy-ers dream.
Lets see what sorta problems these things start throwing up when services are skipped, unlike the forgiving Falcons.
smoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2010, 07:44 PM   #80
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Do taxi companies ever buy cheap petrol models from auction and then convert them? Because FG Falcons (non factory LPG) cannot be fitted with aftermarket LPG systems due to the plastic manifold..
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2010, 07:49 PM   #81
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline
Do taxi companies ever buy cheap petrol models from auction and then convert them? Because FG Falcons (non factory LPG) cannot be fitted with aftermarket LPG systems due to the plastic manifold..
i don't think thats an issue with injected gas systems (vapour and liquid) as backfires are a thing of the past.

fitting an old mixer type system is actually illegal as it no longer meets emission regs. doesn't stop people doing it though.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2010, 08:05 PM   #82
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
I know they use to with the B-series. FG's are a bit harder to determine as there are more models you can get with Factory LPG.
Old 19-04-2010, 08:12 PM   #83
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Surely, taxis would just chase E-gas falcons at the auctions...
Old 19-04-2010, 08:52 PM   #84
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
Surely, taxis would just chase E-gas falcons at the auctions...
No, not if the price is right. Egassers command higher resale value (49% after 3 years as opposed to 39% for the petrol counterparts, iirc) so sometimes a petroley is a more attractive option.

And the reason why you haven't seen many new falcons as cabs is you're looking for the nice shiney FGs. I bet you're not looking at the plethora of brand new BFIII wagons ordered during the recent 50% tax incentive for small business buying new vehicles. I know my old employers bought at least one, a brand spankers white BFIII egas wagon with tint. Looked schmick, too nice to be a dirty cab.
Old 19-04-2010, 09:36 PM   #85
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Shame that "plethora' of wagons was barely 200 a month at the end...
Old 19-04-2010, 10:40 PM   #86
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
The upcoming LPi FG still uses the plastic manifold, so obviously its fine to use for vapour and liquid injection LPG.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2010, 10:42 PM   #87
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Shame that "plethora' of wagons was barely 200 a month at the end...
It was really, and still is, around 400 a month. Around 20 a day with most of them LPG.

Maybe Marin was trying to downplay how many they actually make so it didn't seem so bad dropping the wagon.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2010, 11:35 PM   #88
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8

Maybe Marin was trying to downplay how many they actually make so it didn't seem so bad dropping the wagon.

I suspected as much
Old 20-04-2010, 12:01 AM   #89
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
This is good news, we can stand back and watch people say VWs are crap because they're used as taxis.
More likely, they'll say 'finally, a taxi that doesnt whine and clunk like some sort of farming equipment'
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2010, 12:13 AM   #90
Bobman
Regulator

Ford sold quite a few AU2/3 taxi packs but when the BA came out they weren't selling as many, so they stopped painting them yellow from factory and then dropped the taxi pack altogether around 2003.

Most BA-BF Falcon cabs down in Vic are e-gas ex fleet cars. There's a few Territory taxis in Melbourne amongst other varieties as mentioned in previous posts.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)