Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

View Poll Results: Will you be participating in 'Earth Hour' ?
Yes 31 26.96%
No 84 73.04%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 30-03-2008, 11:48 PM   #61
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Well we turned ours off, the neighbors had enough lights on to light up our house lol!! I didn't see the harm in turning them off, still watched TV.. I can understand some people would think it was a waste of time (probably 95% of the population).

I guess it was a waste of time going from some of the responses on here, can't really say I'm a do gooder when it comes to the environment and global warming, I drive a 5.4 Litre V8 after all :P
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Old 30-03-2008, 11:49 PM   #62
andrewts
White Car Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSTerritoryGhia
I drive a 5.4 Litre V8 after all :P
Your engine may be bigger, but I bet mine blows more smoke!
Old 31-03-2008, 12:34 AM   #63
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel_rossy
Agreed, im suprised because i think im the only secondary school kid in this forum and everyone older is too immature to think about chipping in. Some people...

Well i think that people in this forum could actually chip in to help this. It is global. Lots of businesses did it, including lots of fast food outlets including McDonalds.
Its not just the fact of turning of your electricity for 1 hour, its reminding you that its good for the enviroment to turn the lights off any day or night of the week.
im suprised that we have so many close minded people who think they should be funny and use more appliances. Seriously, grow up, no one really cares that your plugging in a few appliances or setting flood lights out the front yard. You may have a good laugh and feel more anti-conformist about yourself but you could atleast help your fellow man. Some people put alot of time and effort into this and just by being a funny smart a$$ and going to turn a few extra lights on is just immature. Grow up. :
You just don't get it do you? "Earth Hour" does more damage than good. A simple analogy: Picture your typical electricity consumption as a car cruising at 100kph down the highway, consuming a steady amount of fuel. Earth Hour = decelerating to 50kph, and the planting it to 100kph after one hour when everybody turns their lights on again. Net result? More fuel burnt overall to get to destination, compared to just sticking to cruising at 100.

How did McDonalds deal with Earth Hour?
Old 31-03-2008, 12:47 AM   #64
Booka
OzECruisers FTW

I participated.... so i went spotlighting, hit the switch in the power box and turnd everything off too, Much to mums dislike :

EB II GLi, AU 4lt and auto conversion :evil3: , 17" mags, Tub's on the way, Sound system, Tinted windows, Lowered.
Old 31-03-2008, 02:19 PM   #65
|||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i kept the appliances running using an old generator i have. i didnt want the meat to go bad
Old 31-03-2008, 03:40 PM   #66
tscot76
Motor Starter

Geez totally have to agree with daniel_rossy. Cannot believe how narrow and little minded some people are on this forum.
The whole purpose of the stunt was to promote awareness about reducing emissions into the environment. If it makes several thousand people more aware of the environment and do their bit to conserve energy, whats' wrong with that? It just doesn't have to be through turning off your lights or appliances. It's a initiative for the long term. We all know nothing can be achieved in the short term but in the long term it can be. Better to start now then never.
I think the abilty to do nothing at all for the environment shows you only care for yourself.

People who say they turned on more electrical appliances are just stupid and ignorant. Yeah great attitude. Who is there to look after the environment?? It's the people! What chance does it have when people don't give a damn about it.

People who say Global warming is a myth need to have a look at themselves. World is strickened by record droughts, flooding, severe storms, severe fires, increase in animals becoming endangered, reef dieing, polar ice caps melting -all due to increase in temperatures. I agree that there is a natural cycle that happens to Earth, but you cannot not say humas have not increased the rate in which it happens.

Still a few ignorant people think that all these noxious gases into the environment we have created has no bearing on the environment. It's ok to churn out carbon monoxide, nitrogen oxide and particulate matter. Keep in mind these are all toxic substances. But hey it's ok to keep producing them it wont affect the environment. I'll dumb it down a little for the secondary school kids- 'Toxic substances = bad'. Wake up to yourselves and think about other people who want to enjoy the world that will hopefully still be around for future generations.
Old 31-03-2008, 03:43 PM   #67
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel_rossy
All the stuff you said
Kudos to you for standing up for what you believe in. Great to see.

BUT

Davway is just having fun.

Secondly, it shouldn't take an annual day for people to look after this planet.

I've done Clean Up Australia Day for the past 2 years, and within 24 hours, there's already rubbish blowing around the place and more cigarette butts than hairs on my backside.

My point is that looking after this planet is about being responsible 365 days a year (be a dic|< on the 29th of Feb if you want) and not believing so forthright in a ****y 1 hour ****fest.

If you (not you personally) want to make a difference, then turn off your appliances off everyday, and don't keep lights on when you aren't in the room etc. and don't rely on some silly initiative that's meant to save the world.

Don't snap my undies.
Old 31-03-2008, 03:51 PM   #68
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tscot76
People who say Global warming is a myth need to have a look at themselves. World is strickened by record droughts, flooding, severe storms, severe fires, increase in animals becoming endangered, reef dieing, polar ice caps melting -all due to increase in temperatures. I agree that there is a natural cycle that happens to Earth, but you cannot not say humas have not increased the rate in which it happens.
There have probably been longer droughts...there are just no records to prove it. Australia didn't become Federalised until 1788. 200 years in the grand scheme is a pretty small timeframe.

Also, the polar ice caps melting...hmm...remember the ice age? When the planet was covered in ice? How did the ice melt? There weren't any cars and factories to turn the planet into hell.

Humans have no doubt increased the rate, but I don't subscribe to this near-doomsday pee-your-pants mentality. People will evolve to the conditions, as we have for thousands of years.

I may be naive in a way, but I don't subscribe to big headlines and media hoo-har as too much of it is contrived crap made purely to sell papers.

Don't snap my undies.
Old 31-03-2008, 03:59 PM   #69
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Every time I receive a power bill, it's a reminder to turn off the lights and appliances.
Old 31-03-2008, 04:37 PM   #70
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Quote:
The whole purpose of the stunt was to promote awareness about reducing emissions into the environment.
So promoting awareness about reducing emissions into the environment, but potentially increasing emissions in doing so (when everyone switches their lights & appliances off, & then back on again an hour later) is OK... because it's the principle that matters? And you call some of us on here narrow minded?
Old 31-03-2008, 04:50 PM   #71
GreenMachine
Mopar/No Car

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Sensational write up about drum brakes. 

Earth Hour is nuts, but not as nuts as the Citizens Electoral Council:

----

Citizens Electoral Council of Australia
Media Release 28th of March 2008

Craig Isherwood, National Secretary
PO Box 376, COBURG, VIC, 3058
Phone: 03 9354 0544 Fax: 03 9354 0166
Email: cec@cecaust.com.au

Earth Hour: Turn out your lights for World Wide Fascism (WWF)

The World Wide Fund for Nature’s Earth Hour stunt this weekend, encouraging people to voluntarily turn off their lights for an hour, is a dry run for a program to force cuts in energy consumption, to kill millions of people worldwide.

And, just as the hour without lights will have zero impact on carbon emissions, the permanent, forced cuts in energy consumption the WWF is gunning for will have zero impact on the earth’s climate. Then again, that is not their purpose: Faced with the accelerating disintegration of their “globalist” financial system, the British imperialists behind the WWF are driving for worldwide fascism. The purpose of “Earth Hour”, like all other “environmentalist” scams such as “Global Warming”, is to brainwash the population into accepting the neo-Malthusian doctrine that mankind can do nothing about alleged “environmental dangers” (which either don’t exist in the first place, or could be easily managed with advanced science and technology), except to shut down all agriculture and industry.

The WWF was principally founded by three individuals, whose pedigrees give their British imperial game away.

* Britain’s mass-murderous Prince Philip. He was quoted in an August, 1988 interview with Deutsche Presse-Agentur as saying: “In the event that I am reincarnated, I would like to return as a deadly virus, in order to contribute something to solve overpopulation”, a sentiment he has constantly reiterated.
* Sir Julian Huxley. He was the first director of UNESCO and the president of the mass-murderous British Eugenics Society when he co-founded the WWF.
* Prince Bernhard of the Netherlands. He was the founding President of the WWF, and a former member of Hitler’s SS. When he left that mass-murderous organisation to marry the future Queen Juliana, he signed his letter of resignation, “Heil Hitler!”

So, if you are either: 1) a gullible fool, 2) a complete idiot, or 3) a champion of British imperial neo-Malthusianism (i.e. you are pro-genocide, which Parson Thomas Malthus himself openly advocated) by all means turn out your lights for “Earth Hour”.

For more information on the fraud of man-made Global Warming, click here.
To have a copy of the March/April 2007 New Citizen, “Global Warming is a Fraud” mailed to you, click here.

'72 Plymouth Scamp
'80 Courier
'13 Kawasaki ZX14-R
'13 Berlina
'92 Suzuki DR650

If you don't fight - You lose
Old 31-03-2008, 04:52 PM   #72
hypnodoc
Its All In Your Mind

Quote:
Geez totally have to agree with daniel_rossy. Cannot believe how narrow and little minded some people are on this forum.
The whole purpose of the stunt was to promote awareness about reducing emissions into the environment. If it makes several thousand people more aware of the environment and do their bit to conserve energy, whats' wrong with that? It just doesn't have to be through turning off your lights or appliances. It's a initiative for the long term. We all know nothing can be achieved in the short term but in the long term it can be. Better to start now then never.
I think the abilty to do nothing at all for the environment shows you only care for yourself.

People who say they turned on more electrical appliances are just stupid and ignorant. Yeah great attitude. Who is there to look after the environment?? It's the people! What chance does it have when people don't give a damn about it.

Still a few ignorant people think that all these noxious gases into the environment we have created has no bearing on the environment. It's ok to churn out carbon monoxide, nitrogen oxide and particulate matter. Keep in mind these are all toxic substances. But hey it's ok to keep producing them it wont affect the environment. I'll dumb it down a little for the secondary school kids- 'Toxic substances = bad'. Wake up to yourselves and think about other people who want to enjoy the world that will hopefully still be around for future generations.
Narrow minded or just cynical from being better informed? Global Warming is a Myth propogated by the IPCC a few (non meterologist psuedo scientists) who decided they liked Al Gores "An Inconvenient Half Truth" and played it up so we can all have a carbon footprint and therefore pay carbon taxes. Climate change is a different story, the climate is always changing, but it's a natural cycle and not from the doing of humans and or any pollution.
When you evaluate the real data from the real scientists C02 comes from the hundreds of trillions of tons of the stuff in the oceans, man made C02 does not, and cannot, be scientifically proven to be linked to any climate event whether it's change or warming. One proovable point that all of the scientists, greenies, tree huggers, and Prious drivers have to agree on is that the planet has cooled slightly since 1998.
Don't get causght up in all the emotional media hype THIS IS Y2K number two. Anyway your argument is completely stuffed by the fact that just one decent volcano will throw as much toxicity into the atmosphere in just one day as what 400 years of human industrial use will. :

Xtreme Tuned: 375 RwKw (502 RwHp) & 820 Nm:
Whhooooooosssssssshhhhhh
HSV HUNTER !!!!!!!!!!!!!

BA Phoons 013 and 333 Gone

Last edited by hypnodoc; 31-03-2008 at 05:00 PM.
Old 31-03-2008, 05:07 PM   #73
hypnodoc
Its All In Your Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine
Earth Hour is nuts, but not as nuts as the Citizens Electoral Council:

----

Citizens Electoral Council of Australia
Media Release 28th of March 2008

Craig Isherwood, National Secretary
PO Box 376, COBURG, VIC, 3058
Phone: 03 9354 0544 Fax: 03 9354 0166
Email: cec@cecaust.com.au

Earth Hour: Turn out your lights for World Wide Fascism (WWF)

The World Wide Fund for Nature’s Earth Hour stunt this weekend, encouraging people to voluntarily turn off their lights for an hour, is a dry run for a program to force cuts in energy consumption, to kill millions of people worldwide.

And, just as the hour without lights will have zero impact on carbon emissions, the permanent, forced cuts in energy consumption the WWF is gunning for will have zero impact on the earth’s climate. Then again, that is not their purpose: Faced with the accelerating disintegration of their “globalist” financial system, the British imperialists behind the WWF are driving for worldwide fascism. The purpose of “Earth Hour”, like all other “environmentalist” scams such as “Global Warming”, is to brainwash the population into accepting the neo-Malthusian doctrine that mankind can do nothing about alleged “environmental dangers” (which either don’t exist in the first place, or could be easily managed with advanced science and technology), except to shut down all agriculture and industry.

The WWF was principally founded by three individuals, whose pedigrees give their British imperial game away.

* Britain’s mass-murderous Prince Philip. He was quoted in an August, 1988 interview with Deutsche Presse-Agentur as saying: “In the event that I am reincarnated, I would like to return as a deadly virus, in order to contribute something to solve overpopulation”, a sentiment he has constantly reiterated.
* Sir Julian Huxley. He was the first director of UNESCO and the president of the mass-murderous British Eugenics Society when he co-founded the WWF.
* Prince Bernhard of the Netherlands. He was the founding President of the WWF, and a former member of Hitler’s SS. When he left that mass-murderous organisation to marry the future Queen Juliana, he signed his letter of resignation, “Heil Hitler!”

So, if you are either: 1) a gullible fool, 2) a complete idiot, or 3) a champion of British imperial neo-Malthusianism (i.e. you are pro-genocide, which Parson Thomas Malthus himself openly advocated) by all means turn out your lights for “Earth Hour”.

For more information on the fraud of man-made Global Warming, click here.
To have a copy of the March/April 2007 New Citizen, “Global Warming is a Fraud” mailed to you, click here.
The CEC mostly are a pack of left wing nuts.

But the 4 points below are documented and veriable truth

* Britain’s mass-murderous Prince Philip. He was quoted in an August, 1988 interview with Deutsche Presse-Agentur as saying: “In the event that I am reincarnated, I would like to return as a deadly virus, in order to contribute something to solve overpopulation”, a sentiment he has constantly reiterated. :
* Sir Julian Huxley. He was the first director of UNESCO and the president of the mass-murderous British Eugenics Society when he co-founded the WWF :evil3: .
* Prince Bernhard of the Netherlands. He was the founding President of the WWF, and a former member of Hitler’s SS. When he left that mass-murderous organisation to marry the future Queen Juliana, he signed his letter of resignation, “Heil Hitler!” :

So, if you are either: 1) a gullible fool, 2) a complete idiot, or 3) a champion of British imperial neo-Malthusianism (i.e. you are pro-genocide, which Parson Thomas Malthus himself openly advocated) by all means turn out your lights for “Earth Hour”. : :

Scarey if you think about it too much. When you have a close look beyond Al Gores film and all the media hype. We don't have too much to worry about except how much tax (our hard earned money) they are going to grab through all this carbon footprint nonsense.
People need to differentiate between pollution, global warming, and climate change, as all three are vastly different and have various causes and consequences.

Whhooooooosssssssshhhhhh
HSV HUNTER !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 31-03-2008, 05:16 PM   #74
hypnodoc
Its All In Your Mind

Quote:

Wake up to your own self, you self rightous ill informed Twat. Been watching channel 10 News or reading the front page of the paper again have we. It is a fact that the hottest year in the past 100 years was in 1998, so we are presently cooling, also snowed in Bagdhad last xmas. Where is this global warming you speak of?

Whhooooooosssssssshhhhhh
HSV HUNTER !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 31-03-2008, 05:48 PM   #75
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

-There Was an ice age.
-The world warmed up (Because of the change in our orbit, we came closer to the sun, that and the fact that earth has pumped out C02 before us humans graced the planet)
-Ice melted, sea rised up, and the country continued to warm.
-Bigger droughts, higher temperatures and all that hoo har have been recorded more then 50 years ago...
-... then there is the days before records were cept.

And in the past few years...
-Big storms suddenly become a factor of 'Global warming'
-We have a Drought, oh its 'global warming', not the poplulation in crease, or the El nino effect
-And so forth

the way i see it is there is Global warming, and 'Global warming'

The first being the natural progress thats happening (well, i do admit that we have had some effect, but more due to the felling of trees), the second being the latest feel great trend. The media jumps on board, wastes time on booing Howard for not siging the stupid Kyoto Protocall, they tell us that the Automovie and Power industries need to change, blah blah.

Point is Earth hour was just a silly feel great event. If you want to help Earth, plant more trees.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 31-03-2008, 05:55 PM   #76
gz1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In my opinion Global warming is the latest Y2k threat.
I don't mind gullible souls turning off their lights, whilst entirely missing the point that this actually causes more co2 output than leaving the lights on, simply because I don't believe that this has any affect on global warming anyhow, so if a group wants to turn off lights let them.
However when a large city (Sydney) decides to celebrate this by letting of a rather large volley of fireworks, then I cannot help but feel peeved at the general stupidity and hypocrisy of our so called elected leaders.
Old 31-03-2008, 06:17 PM   #77
Feral Ford
FeralFordFan

Quote: People who say they turned on more electrical appliances are just stupid and ignorant.

Actually, people who take the above said statement for granted are more stupid and ignorant.

Those people were having a laugh :

All that you have done by putting them down is give reason to those who are further against your opinion to jump on and push their rhetoric, which may sound crazy to you but the scary thing is they can find people / scientists with real scientific evidence to back them up. Remember most of the science to do with this is theory based on evidence collected over a relatively short time frame in the grand scheme of the planets history.

I personally believe it is happening, (we have even just had another ice shelf break apart), but as far as the true extent & the time frames involved no one can say as no one truly knows the full extent of what is happening, what are ‘ALL’ the contributing factors and what additional effects each of these factors in turn create along the way.

Do your bit if you want to, (you should turn lights off if they are not needed), but again don’t criticise people for having a laugh as this world is becoming too miserable with political correctness as it is.

I’ve had low cost fluoros in all my main lights for over three years now, but besides today I don’t normally see the need to tell everyone about it. (Again with all this there is always another side – low energy fluoros are already creating an issue with heavy metal residue contaminants that last for ever once disregarded at the tip & are also worse for the environment to produce in the first place).
I also always turn all my appliances except the fridge off at the power point, (however I do this mainly because I’m partially crazy and think a short circuit will set the house on fire), still the end result is the same.
If it means that much to you, you should probably never own a car not even a coal fired power station charged electric car. Get a job close to where you live / inhabit and walk as much as possible to all destinations, even use public transport as little as possible and never fly on a plane.

Have a nice day. :Reverend:

1995 LTD 5ltr Windsor

1968 XT Fairmont 351 Cleveland

Beer, so much more than just a breakfast drink
Old 31-03-2008, 06:26 PM   #78
Feral Ford
FeralFordFan

PS. BPT are doing $6500 worth of luvin to my car on wednesday, (I’m sorry to say it may end up a little more environmentally unfriendly), But it will be a lot more powerful & a lot more faster :

1995 LTD 5ltr Windsor

Old 31-03-2008, 06:35 PM   #79
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

We had the lights off, TV off, whatever off...

But we were burning up fuel drag racing down Willowbank... and lots of it, and not just your plain pump unleaded either...
Old 31-03-2008, 06:50 PM   #80
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Didn't participate, but i was climbing the Story Bridge in Brisbane when the city turned the lights out. Looked pretty cool.

Oo\===/oO
Old 31-03-2008, 06:55 PM   #81
Feral Ford
FeralFordFan

Quote: Rapid_Axe

We had the lights off, TV off, whatever off...

But we were burning up fuel drag racing down Willowbank... and lots of it, and not just your plain pump unleaded either...

I may be wrong but I am pretty sure methanol & nito-methane burn cleaner than regular fuel, If so your a bloody greeny

1995 LTD 5ltr Windsor

Old 31-03-2008, 06:57 PM   #82
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 Speed Racer
I may be wrong but I am pretty sure methanol & nito-methane burn cleaner than regular fuel, If so your a bloody greeny
:

Well, I did sign up for Origin's Green thingo so a far trade off for me is to use more petrol.
Old 31-03-2008, 11:21 PM   #83
daniel_rossy
AU Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 Speed Racer
Quote: People who say they turned on more electrical appliances are just stupid and ignorant.

Actually, people who take the above said statement for granted are more stupid and ignorant.

Those people were having a laugh :

All that you have done by putting them down is give reason to those who are further against your opinion to jump on and push their rhetoric, which may sound crazy to you but the scary thing is they can find people / scientists with real scientific evidence to back them up. Remember most of the science to do with this is theory based on evidence collected over a relatively short time frame in the grand scheme of the planets history.

I personally believe it is happening, (we have even just had another ice shelf break apart), but as far as the true extent & the time frames involved no one can say as no one truly knows the full extent of what is happening, what are ‘ALL’ the contributing factors and what additional effects each of these factors in turn create along the way.

Do your bit if you want to, (you should turn lights off if they are not needed), but again don’t criticise people for having a laugh as this world is becoming too miserable with political correctness as it is.

I’ve had low cost fluoros in all my main lights for over three years now, but besides today I don’t normally see the need to tell everyone about it. (Again with all this there is always another side – low energy fluoros are already creating an issue with heavy metal residue contaminants that last for ever once disregarded at the tip & are also worse for the environment to produce in the first place).
I also always turn all my appliances except the fridge off at the power point, (however I do this mainly because I’m partially crazy and think a short circuit will set the house on fire), still the end result is the same.
If it means that much to you, you should probably never own a car not even a coal fired power station charged electric car. Get a job close to where you live / inhabit and walk as much as possible to all destinations, even use public transport as little as possible and never fly on a plane.

Have a nice day. :Reverend:
mate i know some people were joking, but it doesnt take much to lift a finger. and if everyone does it, it does help. And no i didnt say that global warming is a big issue to me, i drive a car, i fly on planes, i dont go out of my way every day to switch off a light. Mate im just saying that we should be helping each other out. im not a tree hugging guy who owns a toyota prius and rides my bike to work to save the world. If i was energy smart, i would be abusing you for the hour it took you to write that comment, but mate i really couldnt honestly care how much energy it took and anyone in their right mind shouldnt. But really, it isnt really that hard to switch a light off to help a fellow Australian out? If one person says a funny sarcastic joke, another may take it seriously.
Old 31-03-2008, 11:26 PM   #84
daniel_rossy
AU Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
Kudos to you for standing up for what you believe in. Great to see.

BUT

Davway is just having fun.

Secondly, it shouldn't take an annual day for people to look after this planet.

I've done Clean Up Australia Day for the past 2 years, and within 24 hours, there's already rubbish blowing around the place and more cigarette butts than hairs on my backside.

My point is that looking after this planet is about being responsible 365 days a year (be a dic|< on the 29th of Feb if you want) and not believing so forthright in a ****y 1 hour ****fest.

If you (not you personally) want to make a difference, then turn off your appliances off everyday, and don't keep lights on when you aren't in the room etc. and don't rely on some silly initiative that's meant to save the world.
Yeah thanks mate,
Just trying to say that one person may be having a joke, but another may take it seriously and say 'hey, i know this guy, he always posts on fordforums, if he is turning all the lights on to be less conformist, then i might to the same and comment on how i went about using more energy and he may have a laugh!'

as i said, ripple effect.
Honestly, i had a laugh when Davway said it, but still..

Last edited by daniel_rossy; 31-03-2008 at 11:32 PM.
Old 31-03-2008, 11:35 PM   #85
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

NO, it does NOT help. Everybody turning off their appliances for an hour then all firing up again places a strain on the grid! Do you know how a coal power station works? Guess what type of power plant is used on those stinking hot days when everyone fires up their air conditioners? Not coal, even though they have warning in advance to ramp up their power output for high temperature days, it takes too long to fire up another unit, just for possibly one day, and then take that unit offline again. Gas turbines offer a relatively quick on/off style boost to the power supply during heat waves, there's one such plant between Churchill & Morwell in Gippsland.

The best way to help is to try & keep your electricity consumption to a consistent minimum.
Old 31-03-2008, 11:38 PM   #86
daniel_rossy
AU Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghia5L
NO, it does NOT help. Everybody turning off their appliances for an hour then all firing up again places a strain on the grid! Do you know how a coal power station works? Guess what type of power plant is used on those stinking hot days when everyone fires up their air conditioners? Not coal, even though they have warning in advance to ramp up their power output for high temperature days, it takes too long to fire up another unit, just for possibly one day, and then take that unit offline again. Gas turbines offer a relatively quick on/off style boost to the power supply during heat waves, there's one such plant between Churchill & Morwell in Gippsland.

The best way to help is to try & keep your electricity consumption to a consistent minimum.
Yeah which is what they are doing. Reminding people to turn their lights off more often. No an hour wont do much because of the power strain but it gives people a little reminder as they leave a room, oh, turn light off.
Old 31-03-2008, 11:43 PM   #87
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

We're going in circles here. It's like shooting yourself in the foot to remind yourself that guns can injure.
Old 31-03-2008, 11:53 PM   #88
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghia5L
We're going in circles here. It's like shooting yourself in the foot to remind yourself that guns can injure.
Im thinking a Headshot would be more productive in this thread dave.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Old 31-03-2008, 11:55 PM   #89
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

That'd be a minor injury for some of the people in this thread Uncle
Old 31-03-2008, 11:58 PM   #90
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

true, but if we can convince one idiot every day to hold their breath for 30 or more minutes, imagine the energy we would save.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Closed Thread