Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 13-07-2011, 09:21 PM   #61
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Stupid Medicare Levy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Work Horse
While it's a good laugh this is a hoax email that's been doing the rounds for years.

David R. Kamerschen, Ph.D. Professor of Economics, had nothing to do with it.

The top 1% of tax payers do not pay anything like 59% of personal tax.

Oh and I am happy paying the medicare levy.
True that it is a hoax, but the principle applies.

In regards the OP, it's even worse when both my wife and I are health professionals, can treat each other if needed (so never need to see a doctor) and still pay the medicare levy and the private health insurance slug too. The only benefit is that doctors rarely charge doctors for treatment....
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2011, 10:21 PM   #62
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeked
Do you have to pay more for car insurance than the next guy because you earn more?
So you think we should all pay the same? Would you like to have paid the kid in his first job on $25K/year pay the same amount as the bloke up the road earning $100K per year. Yeah that makes sense..
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2011, 10:24 PM   #63
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP owner

In regards the OP, it's even worse when both my wife and I are health professionals, can treat each other if needed (so never need to see a doctor) and still pay the medicare levy and the private health insurance slug too. The only benefit is that doctors rarely charge doctors for treatment....
Where would you cut out a brain tumor? On the kitchen table?

Heart transplants are simple enough to do at home?
Old 13-07-2011, 10:24 PM   #64
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan
So you think we should all pay the same? Would you like to have paid the kid in his first job on $25K/year pay the same amount as the bloke up the road earning $100K per year. Yeah that makes sense..
Makes as much sense as half of your posts...
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2011, 10:41 PM   #65
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6menace
Makes as much sense as half of your posts...
Glad its only half my posts, much better strike rate than yourself.
Old 13-07-2011, 10:53 PM   #66
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP owner
If we start taking our principles from hoax emails were will it all end!?

That email was originally circulating after tax cuts in the USA. The "principle" being, low income earners should not complain about the level of tax cuts given to the wealthiest. If they did, the wealthiest people would move to another country. The low income earners would then be burdened with extra tax to pay.

IMHO it's not that simple. People do not decide to live and raise families in this country because of the tax impications. There is a whole lot more going on here that would make it hard to move away "for tax purposes ".

Australia is a fantastic country we are all blessed to be resident in, if you don't believe it travel!

Australia has a fantastic health system, it's not perfect but compared to anywhere else we are blessed.

The OP is too young to apperciate what we have here. I don't hold it against him, I'm a little jealous of the naivety youth
Old 14-07-2011, 11:02 AM   #67
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Where would you cut out a brain tumor? On the kitchen table?

Heart transplants are simple enough to do at home?
What makes you say that? And what are the chances/risks of needing these interventions for a family all below the age of 40yo?
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2011, 11:31 AM   #68
fat4D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
If we start taking our principles from hoax emails were will it all end!?

That email was originally circulating after tax cuts in the USA. The "principle" being, low income earners should not complain about the level of tax cuts given to the wealthiest. If they did, the wealthiest people would move to another country. The low income earners would then be burdened with extra tax to pay.

IMHO it's not that simple. People do not decide to live and raise families in this country because of the tax impications. There is a whole lot more going on here that would make it hard to move away "for tax purposes ".

Australia is a fantastic country we are all blessed to be resident in, if you don't believe it travel!

Australia has a fantastic health system, it's not perfect but compared to anywhere else we are blessed.

The OP is too young to apperciate what we have here. I don't hold it against him, I'm a little jealous of the naivety youth

not that i take offence to your comment about being naive, but ive been coping that comment about to young this to young that ever sicne i had the manager on my name tag at 17, i dont consider my self naive, my real problem with the levy is not that it comes out of my tax. my issue is that once the year is done and dusted ive paid my taxed (so i thought) i knew i would be paying the levy but think its wrong that a gillard cash grab in the middle of the year to save the economy that shes killed is wrong. happily every time i got a pay slip i thought wow thats a fair bit of tax but didnt complain as i know we pay taxes for a reason. But for me to go through the year happy to take the cash grab scheme it annoys me that they have now said i have not paid enough and the only difference between me getting a couple of hundred back and having to pay tax is this levy. how is this right? personally i think that if the levy puts you over in tax and that being the reason not that you havnt been taxed enough through the year then it should be squared up and money doesnt go either way.

i know that my comment about not paying enough tax contradicts itself because with the levy i obviously havnt, to explain a bit more of how i think it should work is that ok you would have had a tax return of +400 but the levy of -800 means that you owe a further 400 (keeping figures simple) i personally think that its wrong to have to pay more it should be considered even, and then the next year when employers have taken this into account when withholding tax every pay period then its free game

not sure if that makes sense to others
Old 14-07-2011, 11:35 AM   #69
StrokedXT
Banned

You have to claim stuff mate, its your right.

in the words of old kerry

"Of course I am minimising my tax. And if anybody in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their heads read, because as a government, I can tell you you're not spending it that well that we should be donating extra!"
StrokedXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2011, 11:41 AM   #70
Dr Jekkyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeked
..............others who are often lazy, shortsighted or bludgers.
Or they might be elderly, living far longer than was foreseeable when they were paying taxes during their working life?

The medicare levy is only going to increase in future unless we move from a funding model aimed at acute illness and hospitalisation, compared to prevention and management of chronic disease.
Dr Jekkyl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2011, 11:49 AM   #71
fat4D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrokedXT
You have to claim stuff mate, its your right.

in the words of old kerry

"Of course I am minimising my tax. And if anybody in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their heads read, because as a government, I can tell you you're not spending it that well that we should be donating extra!"
never heard that quote before, but pure gold. kerry packer was one of the best people when it came to using his money wisely. and it wouldnt surprise me if he paid less tax than we did
Old 14-07-2011, 11:58 AM   #72
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

FreddyDUZ747 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2011, 11:59 AM   #73
fat4D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyDUZ747
i stand corrected you win
Old 14-07-2011, 12:40 PM   #74
outside
off in outer space

simple fix is to stop rebates
  did i just say that??  
Old 14-07-2011, 02:59 PM   #75
tweeked
N/A all the way

Quote:
Yes he should pay the same rate for the same car, but I am sure he would have a cheaper car, and so cheaper rates.

Should he pay less for food? No, he will buy cheaper food. Should he pay less for anything? No, he should choose what his current earnings allow, and if he works hard enough, he will one he will be on $100k per year. This is the ethic that makes a strong vibrant economy with opportunities for those willing to work for it.

In your world people would not work hard because they have their bits wiped for them. There would be no benefit to work hard, why bother? On the fast track to a Greek economy.

tweeked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2011, 03:16 PM   #76
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Ah the levy. A couple of years ago when the threshhold was only 50k i earnt about $500 over that amount for the year so got stung the additional levy. Ended up owing about $100 to the tax man. The only good thing Kevin Rudd did was put it up to 70k (i think maybe 80k) so I didnt have to cop it the next year.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2011, 03:17 PM   #77
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat4D
not that i take offence to your comment about being naive, but ive been coping that comment about to young this to young that ever sicne i had the manager on my name tag at 17, i dont consider my self naive, my real problem with the levy is not that it comes out of my tax. my issue is that once the year is done and dusted ive paid my taxed (so i thought) i knew i would be paying the levy but think its wrong that a gillard cash grab in the middle of the year to save the economy that shes killed is wrong. happily every time i got a pay slip i thought wow thats a fair bit of tax but didnt complain as i know we pay taxes for a reason. But for me to go through the year happy to take the cash grab scheme it annoys me that they have now said i have not paid enough and the only difference between me getting a couple of hundred back and having to pay tax is this levy. how is this right? personally i think that if the levy puts you over in tax and that being the reason not that you havnt been taxed enough through the year then it should be squared up and money doesnt go either way.

i know that my comment about not paying enough tax contradicts itself because with the levy i obviously havnt, to explain a bit more of how i think it should work is that ok you would have had a tax return of +400 but the levy of -800 means that you owe a further 400 (keeping figures simple) i personally think that its wrong to have to pay more it should be considered even, and then the next year when employers have taken this into account when withholding tax every pay period then its free game

not sure if that makes sense to others
I'm glad you are not offended by my joke, it was certianly not meant to offend you.

I have been paying tax over four times longer than you. That doesn't make me smarter, it just means I have way more to complain about

You are blaming the current Gillard government for something that was introduced by the former Howard government. Not that it makes any differance to the tax you pay.

I understand the lump sum you are being slugged at the end of the finacial year is part of your complaint. The problem with taking out the levy across the year is some people will pay it and then not reach the threshold. Yes over payments of tax (or levies) are refunded, but most people like to keep their money in their pocket.

I'm reminded of something a business lecturer said in a class I was taking,"don't worry about paying a lot of tax, it means you are earning a lot of money!" No it never made me feel any better about paying tax....
Old 14-07-2011, 04:04 PM   #78
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I'm reminded of something a business lecturer said in a class I was taking,"don't worry about paying a lot of tax, it means you are earning a lot of money!" No it never made me feel any better about paying tax....
My accountant must have taken the same class, I get this line everytime I see him.

Death and Taxes something we can all be sure of.
Old 14-07-2011, 04:18 PM   #79
trippytaka
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Medicare is for all. So we all pay for it. We all benefit from it at some time or another, and even if I am healthy for the next 20 years I and never see a doctor I have absolutely no problem with paying Medicare levies so our health system is funded and FREE for all.
trippytaka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2011, 04:43 PM   #80
EFFalcon
Last warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippytaka
Medicare is for all. So we all pay for it. We all benefit from it at some time or another, and even if I am healthy for the next 20 years I and never see a doctor I have absolutely no problem with paying Medicare levies so our health system is funded and FREE for all.
i'm with you on this.
Whilst i myself havn't used the public health system much in my time, plenty of people i know have, and whilst its not perfect, i can appreciate what it does provide.

that and i work in public health
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2011, 05:10 PM   #81
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippytaka
I agree and think most of us here are for this. I think our Medicare is something to be proud of and would like to see it funded well enough for private health to be redundant. I am more than happy to be taxed to pay for this.
My issue and I belive the feeling of this thread is about when your income reaches a certain level you are required to pay more. This to me un Australian as our country is about a fair go for all. The people I know (myself included) that earn over $80K work damn hard and have put in years of study and/or doing the hard yards to get to the position they are now in.
The main point to the additional ($80K +) medicare levy is not about helping the lower paid but forcing the higher paid into private health and making these funds and their fat cats rich while at the same time reliving the government of their duty to ensure a first class medical system.
mr smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2011, 06:03 PM   #82
kaniSS
BIG MEMBER ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat4D
id prefer the government stops giving so much money to the dole bludgers who drink, sniff, inject and smoke the money they get instead of trying to find a job. hell they can live in a cardboard box for all i care. sounds harsh but i used to run a maccas across the road from filthy govo flats and the amount of times they tried to get free stuff or threaten me with knifes an the like to get money couldnt care.

at the same time the people who legitimately are on the dole and need the assistance of the gov i have no problem with and if this was the case would happily pay the money it appears i owe

If that's what you want Vote Labor/Greens alliance OUT at the next election. They can not run the country plain and simple.
Old 14-07-2011, 06:52 PM   #83
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

I for one am very grateful of the Australian Medicare system, as it helped me get through 3 weeks of hospital care for a severe bout of Pneumonia I had and it continues to assist me as an in-patient. I was as ignorant as some here before this and it annoyed me to pay it UNTIL I was the one that needed assistance, and it was there. Now I do not complain when it is required as I wouldn't wish what I went through upon my worst enemy. Sure it goes up every year, but frankly I would rather pay a higher levy and receive what I regard as a good health care system compared to other bigger countries out there which receive very little and are poor in standard compared to ours.

One day you will need it, and then you will be thankful. Thats all I can say.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2011, 08:00 PM   #84
Black F6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have more more tax witheld from your wage, or get private health, they are your 2 options
10.25@138mph FG XR6T (new toy) (Nizpro)
Black F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2011, 08:07 PM   #85
StrokedXT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black F6
Have more more tax witheld from your wage, or get private health, they are your 2 options
No he needs to see an accountant or educate himself on what deductions he could claim
StrokedXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2011, 08:38 PM   #86
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

DON'T complain... The U.S is a hopeless case in this dept as are some other parts in the world...
$500 for a couple of puff's of Ventolin is atrocious!!!
I don't normally get asthma.. But have issues on long travel air flights..
If you want these things nearly free when your sick ???
Then you have to pay somewhere..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2011, 08:56 PM   #87
Work Horse
Budget Racer

It's interesting that the US spends 16% of GDP on healthcare and it's a basket case.

Australia spends 9% of GDP for a far superior system.
Old 14-07-2011, 08:58 PM   #88
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
It's interesting that the US spends 16% of GDP on healthcare and it's a basket case.
Apparently the give lots and lots of money to the private health companies. Enough to pay for free health care for the country. But you get that when these companies line the pockets of the politicians (I mean lobby).
Old 14-07-2011, 09:06 PM   #89
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Apparently the give lots and lots of money to the private health companies. Enough to pay for free health care for the country. But you get that when these companies line the pockets of the politicians (I mean lobby).
The government of Australia (whoever happens to be in), has some control over health costs.

The US uses a market based system, which is supossed to keep costs at a minimum through competition.

It's a good theory....
Old 15-07-2011, 02:56 PM   #90
iCat
doof doof doof doof

fat4D - i copped that bill the first year i was on shift for that levy. i'd worked it out myself, so then took it to a recommended agent and asked him to get it down as best as he could. i ended up getting $50 back. the following year i divided bill by 26 and got work to pay that as extra tax payments the following year.