Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-03-2011, 08:35 AM   #61
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Default Re: Delayed: Ford's 4-cylinder Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE
i feel sorry for all you negative fools who think its all over.Times do change you know. Im assuming with your attitudes your allready compromising on large comfy safe cruising class leading style...and have allready opted for ashmatic holdens and or smaller yet capable mondeos and focuses. Good luck with that.

I personaly can see nothing better than a large car with a small super effecient 4cyl engined falcon alongside the new super charged 8s as options. Then theirs your smaller model options...another story.
I'm very happy with my Focus thank you very much. It has been a much better experience than my Falcon years and I don't see myself owning another Falcon.

The Focus is a 5 star safety rated car. It handles much better than a Falcon and has no problems with long distance crusing.

If you're happy in a large car, fine by me, that's your choice but I would advise against criticising others for their choice of car just because you don't agree with it.

So would I be right in assuming you will be fronting up to a Ford dealer to purchase one of these I4T Falcons or like most here just await it to hit the second hand car market?

Last edited by Wretched; 17-03-2011 at 08:44 AM.
Wretched is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2011, 08:41 AM   #62
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesun
My friends will attest to me being blue through and through but this last 12 months apart from winning on the track all I hear is delays delays and more delays. Focus, Festiva and Mondeo delays with manufacturing in Europe meaning no stock. Sorted now hopefully not too late. LPG Falcon delays delays and delays, now its May but don't hold your breath. If it arrives then and fuel is still up there will be a 12 month waiting list, goodbye sales. Territory took months longer than we all expected and the diesel took years longer than it should have. Now its the Ecoboost Falcon so far this is only the first delay that I've heard of. I hope to eat my words but I bet there will be more delays and it will be mid to late 2012 before we see it. TOO LATE FORD. 2011 was to be a great year for Ford, was.
I can't help myself but comment!!

1) Not sure how "Blue Ford" you are if you think there are delays on Festiva!! That model has not been on sale for over a decade!!
2) You talk about a 12 month waiting period (your worlds not my), yet in the same sentence say good bye sales.. Wouldn't there be good sales if there was a 12 month waiting time? In fact fantastic, bl00dy great sales for a waiting period of 12 months!
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2011, 10:53 AM   #63
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
I can't help myself but comment!!

1) Not sure how "Blue Ford" you are if you think there are delays on Festiva!! That model has not been on sale for over a decade!!
2) You talk about a 12 month waiting period (your worlds not my), yet in the same sentence say good bye sales.. Wouldn't there be good sales if there was a 12 month waiting time? In fact fantastic, bl00dy great sales for a waiting period of 12 months!
Sorry it was 230am and I got a model wrong, Fiesta not Festiva. Yes goodbye sales. More people walking out the door possibly for a second time or more wanting to buy a product so widely acclaimed but because of waiting lists having to buy something else. It's not entirely Fords fault BUT 1. It isn't here yet and 2. Will Ford take the opportunity to ramp up production pay some overtime to long suffering workers who have had to take days off to slow production etc and take slightly less profit to apease the buying public and get more cars out?
Old 17-03-2011, 11:08 AM   #64
J.C.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In relation to the thread topic, all I would like to say here is "HOORAY".
Maybe the 4 cylinder Falcon will open up another market for Ford by offering customers additional options. I don't know.
Maybe I'm to much of a tradiationalist but I'm not truely keen on the idea of a four cylinder Falcon. It's just me.
Holden did it in the very early eighties. They were so underpowered they were bullet proof.............after a few mods.
Anyway. Time has moved on seen then...........and I'm very thankful for that...........but a four cylinder Falcon???
I wish Ford well with it. I truely do. I hope they are onto something here. Thinking outside the box.
J.C. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2011, 11:25 AM   #65
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

This is probably going to sound stupid but what would people (people meaning the general car buying public) think if the I6 was dropped in favour of the Ecoboost 4 if it was massaged to say 195kw and 350Nm and 8.5l/100km (assuming that is possible)? I honestly don't see how the Ecoboost will fit in the range especially if it does have a price premium as has been suggested.

I realise this won't happen and would mean the death of the I6T but surely the coyote could take over the performance side of things.
naddis01 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2011, 11:43 AM   #66
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01
This is probably going to sound stupid but what would people (people meaning the general car buying public) think if the I6 was dropped in favour of the Ecoboost 4 if it was massaged to say 195kw and 350Nm and 8.5l/100km (assuming that is possible)? I honestly don't see how the Ecoboost will fit in the range especially if it does have a price premium as has been suggested.

I realise this won't happen and would mean the death of the I6T but surely the coyote could take over the performance side of things.
Yeah the Ecoboost should be a base engine in the Falcon, imagine a 4 cylinder Falcon at $29,990 driveaway - up against Camry and other mid-sized cars. Heck people are paying $32,000-$33,000 for Cruze CDX diesels so a 4 cylinder Falcon could even target some small cars.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2011, 12:26 PM   #67
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Well, of all the disloyalty. Sheesh, there's no pleasing you guys.
It's been delayed three months. Big deal.
Do you honestly think that ford is alone in dwindling sales? Even Holden is. Yes, they may have moved X amount of cars to their dealers, but that doesn't really count as a genuine sale now does it? A couple of questions though for the doubters; which Australian car company's parent went bankrupt and was massively overstocked and which one turned a profit? Which Australian car company had to get a 200 million dollar bail out loan from the so-called government?

As for the decline in sales, the reasons are many, but the market itself is going through tumultuous times thanks to various natural disasters sending pricing shock waves to the world with commodities such as oil, and ever rising petroleum prices. Further, Un-natural disasters such as the watermelon government led by the fudge-packer and the star-spangled-ranga with their announcement of a tax on the air that we breathe has thrown a massive spanner in the wheels of business, industry and development as everyone now focuses on an exit strategy from this anti-competitive law founded on BS.
Whatsmore, to add to the death knell of Australian industry we have an election coming up in NSW, which has put a spending, freeze on all state government departments.
There are many more factors influencing the decline but I think most of you can see what I mean.
You see, a number of fleets and government departments have a global warmenenenenenening thing of 4 cylinder only policy (it's for the cuddly little poley bears). They won't actually buy anything than 4 cylinder cars. In QLD, the police force bought a whole bunch of Camry's; only to find they couldn't fit all their gear in the boot. A falcon however has no problem as proven in the past. So instantly, there's a market. Further, if ford are tweaking the ecoboost engine to deliver more power, it will be an instant hit amongst the fleets.
The territory is an exciting and beautiful development which will resonate well with the buying public, so expect to see it do well just like when the territory was launched.
The LiLPG will also be a good one to look out for, with some fleets opting for the more reliable and powerful 4 wheeled BBQ.
No, ford may be down but definately not out. We must keep supporting them throught
Whatever we do though, we can't succumb to the propaganda that passes as editorial content about Ford Australia from the same people who propagate the whole Global Warming/Climate Change/Carbon Pollution myth. They are not authoritarians on these subjects; they make up stories to sell copy or please their masters who make donations to them through advertising (Holden are a big customer of drive). Just have a look at what these vultures have done to other companies such as Mitsubishi Australia, Qantas etc etc all based on supposition and not substantiave fact. I for one will take a stand and tell perennial idiots like Paul (bend over) Gover, shut your stupid face, you know nothing.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2011, 12:29 PM   #68
Hally

Th eproblem with the above thinking is that the Ecoboost motor is more expensive than the homegrown I6.
Hally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2011, 12:29 PM   #69
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

I'm thinking there is going to be much more to this car than just a 4 cylinder motor shoved in it.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2011, 12:48 PM   #70
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
I'm thinking there is going to be much more to this car than just a 4 cylinder motor shoved in it.
nup, thats about it.
Old 17-03-2011, 01:16 PM   #71
redman

I am a bit disappointed about the delay, but if the original release date was intended to be November 2011, that is too late for me anyway.

The eGas G6 gets replaced in October, so by then I think I will have two interesting choices; another eGas G6 or perhaps back to a Territory, this time a diseasel. At least I still intend getting something made in Broady (and Geelong), so there is one sale.
redman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2011, 01:40 PM   #72
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Eco boost ute.

Council spec with column shift, (or buttons on the dash or flappy paddles), give some hi-lux a kicking.

Yes it's a while away, but that's the new market stuff that needs to be chased. Ecoboost is not an alternative to XR6T.
Old 17-03-2011, 01:59 PM   #73
stang65
FPRJET

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
Well, of all the disloyalty. Sheesh, there's no pleasing you guys.
It's been delayed three months. Big deal.
Do you honestly think that ford is alone in dwindling sales? Even Holden is. Yes, they may have moved X amount of cars to their dealers, but that doesn't really count as a genuine sale now does it? A couple of questions though for the doubters; which Australian car company's parent went bankrupt and was massively overstocked and which one turned a profit? Which Australian car company had to get a 200 million dollar bail out loan from the so-called government?

As for the decline in sales, the reasons are many, but the market itself is going through tumultuous times thanks to various natural disasters sending pricing shock waves to the world with commodities such as oil, and ever rising petroleum prices. Further, Un-natural disasters such as the watermelon government led by the fudge-packer and the star-spangled-ranga with their announcement of a tax on the air that we breathe has thrown a massive spanner in the wheels of business, industry and development as everyone now focuses on an exit strategy from this anti-competitive law founded on BS.
Whatsmore, to add to the death knell of Australian industry we have an election coming up in NSW, which has put a spending, freeze on all state government departments.
There are many more factors influencing the decline but I think most of you can see what I mean.
You see, a number of fleets and government departments have a global warmenenenenenening thing of 4 cylinder only policy (it's for the cuddly little poley bears). They won't actually buy anything than 4 cylinder cars. In QLD, the police force bought a whole bunch of Camry's; only to find they couldn't fit all their gear in the boot. A falcon however has no problem as proven in the past. So instantly, there's a market. Further, if ford are tweaking the ecoboost engine to deliver more power, it will be an instant hit amongst the fleets.
The territory is an exciting and beautiful development which will resonate well with the buying public, so expect to see it do well just like when the territory was launched.
The LiLPG will also be a good one to look out for, with some fleets opting for the more reliable and powerful 4 wheeled BBQ.
No, ford may be down but definately not out. We must keep supporting them throught
Whatever we do though, we can't succumb to the propaganda that passes as editorial content about Ford Australia from the same people who propagate the whole Global Warming/Climate Change/Carbon Pollution myth. They are not authoritarians on these subjects; they make up stories to sell copy or please their masters who make donations to them through advertising (Holden are a big customer of drive). Just have a look at what these vultures have done to other companies such as Mitsubishi Australia, Qantas etc etc all based on supposition and not substantiave fact. I for one will take a stand and tell perennial idiots like Paul (bend over) Gover, shut your stupid face, you know nothing.

Rep to you mate you have said it how it is. I am also getting sick of people saying four cylinder falcon just like the four cylinder commodore for F` sake it`s got a bloody turbo on it, will have similar power to a six and better economy. How can people even compare it to a 30 year old **** box when it has all the bells and whistles. If Holden had of bought there four out then with a turbo on it , it would have been a runaway success. just as this will be once it hits the showroom.
stang65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2011, 02:39 PM   #74
J.C.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang65
Rep to you mate you have said it how it is. I am also getting sick of people saying four cylinder falcon just like the four cylinder commodore for F` sake it`s got a bloody turbo on it, will have similar power to a six and better economy. How can people even compare it to a 30 year old **** box when it has all the bells and whistles. If Holden had of bought there four out then with a turbo on it , it would have been a runaway success. just as this will be once it hits the showroom.

And yet, life goes on ................ Chillax.
J.C. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2011, 04:42 PM   #75
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Watch Holden launch a 4 cyl turbo Dunnydore, before Ford..Its in the new Cruze..how hard to put in Dunnydore??? I sincerely hope Holden don't,,but they always seem to beat FORD, to the market!!!!!!
Old 17-03-2011, 04:51 PM   #76
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
Watch Holden launch a 4 cyl turbo Dunnydore, before Ford..Its in the new Cruze..how hard to put in Dunnydore??? I sincerely hope Holden don't,,but they always seem to beat FORD, to the market!!!!!!
I think HOLDEN might have more trouble than FORD installing their ENGINE into the COMMODORE, mainly because the CRUZE is front wheel drive, with a front wheel drive gearbox. There is more work involved in installing the EcoBoost engine in Falcon than just installing it, and throwing the first gearbox they can behind it.

Holden have all their bets hedged behind the 3.0 SiDi. They tried the 4 Cylinder route once, and it failed. They won't be trying again.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2011, 06:43 PM   #77
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
If you remember a while back, Holden were developing a 2.0 or 2.5 DI turbo I-4 Commodore,
that died a natural death because Holden couldn't get scales of economy with the engine,
Ford has no such problem with the Ecoboost 2.0 and the RWD engineering from the Falcon
adaptation of the Ecoboost 2.0 will be used in a future I-4 Turbo Mustang.

Paxton is right, Holden bet large on 3.0 SIDI but the wheels are about to fall off...

Ford should go for broke in the fleet market and offer Ecoboost Mondeo in LX trim,
put it right on Holden and Toyota and watch them squirm to match Mondy's fuel economy.....

Last edited by jpd80; 17-03-2011 at 06:49 PM.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2011, 07:30 PM   #78
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
If you remember a while back, Holden were developing a 2.0 or 2.5 DI turbo I-4 Commodore,
that died a natural death because Holden couldn't get scales of economy with the engine,
Ford has no such problem with the Ecoboost 2.0 and the RWD engineering from the Falcon adaptation of the Ecoboost 2.0 will be used in a future I-4 Turbo Mustang.

Paxton is right, Holden bet large on 3.0 SIDI but the wheels are about to fall off...

Ford should go for broke in the fleet market and offer Ecoboost Mondeo in LX trim, put it right on Holden and Toyota and watch them squirm to match Mondy's fuel economy.....
The Eco-Boost 2L will probably go into one other RWD Ford in the near term too. The T6 Ranger. Also developed here in Australia!

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2011, 07:57 PM   #79
Resurrection
I was correct - AGAIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
That's interesting that head office would assign a global project number for something that is seemingly "just a 4 cylinder engine for the Falcon".

Interesting.
Diesel Territory is codenamed E265.
Resurrection is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2011, 08:13 PM   #80
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Ford has no such problem with the Ecoboost 2.0 and the RWD engineering from the Falcon
adaptation of the Ecoboost 2.0 will be used in a future I-4 Turbo Mustang.

Ford should go for broke in the fleet market and offer Ecoboost Mondeo in LX trim,
put it right on Holden and Toyota and watch them squirm to match Mondy's fuel economy.....
Exactly. The EB is going to be a hit. And a well thought out product plan. It's more powerful than the last of the I6 SOHC's... and just a bit under the first iteration of the I6 DOHC's. And it will be using less fuel, and be sought by fleets, and gvt fleets.

Now we need I6 upgrades. Aluminium block. DI. EB?
Buntz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2011, 08:24 PM   #81
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection
Diesel Territory is codenamed E265.

Nope !

E265 is the whole Territory program from 2004 believe it or not !!!

"Yeah but FG is E240 ! "

Suck it up ! Them's the facts !
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2011, 09:17 PM   #82
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
Yeah the Ecoboost should be a base engine in the Falcon, imagine a 4 cylinder Falcon at $29,990 driveaway - up against Camry and other mid-sized cars. Heck people are paying $32,000-$33,000 for Cruze CDX diesels so a 4 cylinder Falcon could even target some small cars.
I can't see that happening, not at that price point but, what if
Ford built Mondeo in Thailand and offered fleets TDCI/Ecoboost in LX trim?

I think that car would really scare the pants of Toyota and Holden...
Old 17-03-2011, 09:21 PM   #83
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Yeah it was more a 'perfect world' hypothesis. Different fascias and name to Falcon to seperate it a bit kinda like Camry and Aurion.
Old 17-03-2011, 09:26 PM   #84
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
Yeah it was more a 'perfect world' hypothesis. Different fascias and name to Falcon to seperate it a bit kinda like Camry and Aurion.
In my mind. The way to keep falcon alive is to make it a bit more premium. And have Mondeo slot in with more models to take on the D segment.
Old 17-03-2011, 09:26 PM   #85
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:

If that is the case, it'll be the end of Manufacturing in Ford Australia.

Argue as much as you want, but no fairyland GRWD will be a saviour.
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2011, 09:27 PM   #86
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buntz93ED
Exactly. The EB is going to be a hit. And a well thought out product plan. It's more powerful than the last of the I6 SOHC's... and just a bit under the first iteration of the I6 DOHC's. And it will be using less fuel, and be sought by fleets, and gvt fleets.

Now we need I6 upgrades. Aluminium block. DI. EB?
A strong rumor that all of these plans have now been scrubbed,
I-6 is now losing internal support in favor of "One Ford" initiatives.

FoA's choice is between RWD Falcon sharing Ford US engines
or co-developing a large car with USA off next Fusion/Mondeo.
Old 17-03-2011, 09:31 PM   #87
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:

The smart thing would be a Falcon Mustang cooperative. As they only sell the Taurus in Canada outside of the U.S. (I think) And any car made off of EUCD wouldn't likely sell in Europe as they already have the mondeo.... and that's good enough for them over there.
Old 17-03-2011, 09:33 PM   #88
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

has anyone consided the irony with this car P platers will be allowed to drive the NA 6 but not the less powerful turbo 4

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2011, 09:34 PM   #89
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Either way, if Ford Oz could be guaranteed to supply all rhd markets then would its production be easily justified in remaining here? Using the global V6 would allow easier parts supply in importing countries vs the virtual impossiblity of using the I6 in exported Falcons. Unless the EBI4 Falcon becomes the export vehicle of choice, with a tdi Terry.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2011, 09:45 PM   #90
tezxr8man
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_The_Win
I am getting really sick of this speculation. For god's sake Ford, make up your freaking mind. Dump the Falcon or pull your heads in and get the ball rolling! They really are a bunch of muppets.

I reckon the muppets would have to be the media guys beating it all up, they helped kill the 380 now going to work on the Falcon, how Un-Australian is kicking a guy when he's down?
They won't stop until they're all gone by the looks of it, then they'll all remanis (Can't spell) about how good it was back in the day when we made cars here
tezxr8man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post