Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-03-2020, 07:13 PM   #61
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Default Re: QLD Mobile Phone $1k Fine from Feb 1. Also includes passengers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickford. View Post

For having a conversation with someone? Which is what I am referring to? Since when are you required to look at the phone to talk to someone?

To have a conversation while driving, a CB/2-way radio requires you to drive with one hand while holding a hand held device in the other hand. A phone does not require you to drive with one hand on the while. Neither requires you to take your eyes off the road!
what conversation??
it's just a heads up at whats coming in your area..
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2020, 07:24 PM   #62
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
Is he taking it to court to fight it?
The wording used on the penalty notice, was something like 'using a mobile phone on a restricted licence, namely a P1 probationary licence' or similar from memory. Which is open to various degrees of interpretation I say. From texting to using a navigation app. The former definitely deserves the book thrown at them, while the latter is just pity revenue raising.

If he was to take it to court, the copper could simply state that she observed him touching the phone (which he absolutely did not), and that'll be case closed. There's no evidence. It's the copper's word against his. And we all know how that'll end.

And before people ask how do I know my nephew is not lying, I know he's not. He and I are close, good friends even. He is closer to me and talks to me about things he couldn't tell his own Dad. I believe him 100%. He has no reason the lie to me, or his parents about this.
Tickford. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2020, 07:26 PM   #63
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Anyways, this thread has gone very sideways and off topic. Apologise.

I'm out.
Tickford. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2020, 07:29 PM   #64
ozpacman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No need to apologise. Nothing wrong with a bit of robust debate!
ozpacman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2020, 07:55 PM   #65
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Unhappy Re: QLD Mobile Phone $1k Fine from Feb 1. Also includes passengers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstanovic View Post
Isn't that why CBs are allowed but phones aren't? Talking and driving is easy, using a device that takes your eyes off the road is not. Whenever I use my CB I never look at it, just press the talk button and talk, eyes never leave the road. Try doing that with your smart phone.
When my phone rings I pick it up,slide the answer key and talk.Kinda like taking a cb off its hook and pressing the button,then talking.
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2020, 08:14 PM   #66
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Really?? If you had pulled your head out from where the sun don’t shine and opened your eyes, you would have probably read a previous post from me that stated...

Yes, I totally agree that people who have their phones IN THEIR HANDS while driving is 100% distracting and dangerous. Texting, phone at the ear, surfing the net, etc, etc, with a mobile phone IN YOUR HANDS is 100% not acceptable and deserves a fine and demerit points. Not arguing that fact. You seem to have missed what I am talking about, and what I think is a bull**** law. Which is the fact that...

Again, why is it legal for a P1 probationary driver to use a CB radio which requires them to drive with one hand on the wheel, while in conversation? But it is illegal for a P1 probationary driver to use a cradle mounted (as the law requires) smart phone for navigation?

To me, using a CB is far more dangerous than using maps on your smart phone, which does not require you to drive with one hand on the wheel, be in conversation, nor press/touch the phone while driving. All of which are part of using a CB radio while on the road.

If a P1 driver was to use a Navigation unit in a cradle, it's legal. A phone in a cradle used for navigation is illegal!? What is the big difference? You don't have to touch or operate the navi unit, or the phone, once you have set your destination. You are not driving with one hand on the wheel while in conversation as you'd be when on a CB radio. You are simply following the voice guided map. Both the navi unit and the phone on navigation do exactly the same thing. But the navi unit is legal and the phone is not. Don't you think this is totally wrong?

You could even compare a P1 driver using a CB, to a P1 driver using a phone in a cradle for calls through BT for example. The former requires you to drive with one hand on the wheel while operating a hand held device, while the latter does not require one handed operation of a vehicle, and is hands free, which is obviously much safer. Yet, for a P1 driver, the former is legal, and the latter is illegal. Don't you think this is total bull****?

Arguing about this and that doesn’t change the fact that there is a law which prohibits P players using any function on a phone. It may not be a perfect law and there may be examples where using it for navigation is no different to a Navman but they had to encompass any mobile phone to make the law effective.

There is also a pretty easy and cheap solution as you have acknowledged.
Old 02-03-2020, 08:34 PM   #67
73 4V XB
Frankenford pilot
Donating Member1

Quote:
The wording used on the penalty notice, was something like 'using a mobile phone on a restricted licence, namely a P1 probationary licence' or similar from memory. Which is open to various degrees of interpretation I say. From texting to using a navigation app. The former definitely deserves the book thrown at them, while the latter is just pity revenue raising.

If he was to take it to court, the copper could simply state that she observed him touching the phone (which he absolutely did not), and that'll be case closed. There's no evidence. It's the copper's word against his. And we all know how that'll end.

And before people ask how do I know my nephew is not lying, I know he's not. He and I are close, good friends even. He is closer to me and talks to me about things he couldn't tell his own Dad. I believe him 100%. He has no reason the lie to me, or his parents about this.
Where’s the confusion. He was using he’s phone end of story....

73 XB GT
Last of the Big Ports
73 4V XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 03-03-2020, 12:17 AM   #68
jstanovic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ooops, I missed the hands free part haha
jstanovic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2020, 01:06 AM   #69
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
When my phone rings I pick it up,slide the answer key and talk.Kinda like taking a cb off its hook and pressing the button,then talking.
Sorry, but its not. Really not.

The position of the CB/UHF mic is situated in the same location each time. On its hook. And its a real life push button, not a button that changes position pending on where your hand is, and can be unreachable if your phone is big enough. Your phone isn't always in the same place.

20 Years ago I could fire out a text message on the old push button phones. Muscle memory, with or without predictive text. Didnt need to look. Could easily hold a conversation, watch tv, etc while doing it.

Now compare that with todays phones with interchangeable keyboards, autocorrect, etc, you consistently make mistakes due to no physical reference point to type with on the touch screens. You hit "v" instead of "C", "Y" instead of "T". There is even a term that has developed from this.

"Fat fingers". It happens all the time.

The CB V phone argument doesnt hold water.

On a personal note, I am tired of these drivers almost causing incidents, I've been near the receiving end of this too many times.

You can accidentally not indicate, accidentally speed, I cant see how you can accidentally touch your phone. You know straight away you're doing the wrong thing.

I say get 'em. Get 'em all.
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.

Last edited by Revolver; 03-03-2020 at 01:12 AM.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-03-2020, 07:35 AM   #70
borough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolver View Post
Sorry, but its not. Really not.

The position of the CB/UHF mic is situated in the same location each time. On its hook. And its a real life push button, not a button that changes position pending on where your hand is, and can be unreachable if your phone is big enough. Your phone isn't always in the same place.

20 Years ago I could fire out a text message on the old push button phones. Muscle memory, with or without predictive text. Didnt need to look. Could easily hold a conversation, watch tv, etc while doing it.

Now compare that with todays phones with interchangeable keyboards, autocorrect, etc, you consistently make mistakes due to no physical reference point to type with on the touch screens. You hit "v" instead of "C", "Y" instead of "T". There is even a term that has developed from this.

"Fat fingers". It happens all the time.

The CB V phone argument doesnt hold water.

On a personal note, I am tired of these drivers almost causing incidents, I've been near the receiving end of this too many times.

You can accidentally not indicate, accidentally speed, I cant see how you can accidentally touch your phone. You know straight away you're doing the wrong thing.

I say get 'em. Get 'em all.
I agree on getting all the people who hold their phones and use them while driving. However, the arguments that a CB radio is safer than a phone being used as a phone with a Bluetooth hands free kit do not hold water. To answer a phone call all I do is move my finger on the steering wheel to the mechanical button an press it. My eyes don't leave the road and my hands don't leave the wheel. During the conversation I have both hands on the wheel and eyes on the road. To hang up I press the same button. Now compare that to a CB radio, when I want to talk I need to take my eyes off the road to locate the Micand take one hand off the wheel during the conversation to activate the PTT. Then when the conversation is over I need to take my hand and eyes off the road to return the mic to its holder. So please elaborate how that is safer than a mobile phone where my eyes don't leave the road and my hand does not leave the steering wheel.
Old 03-03-2020, 10:56 AM   #71
73 4V XB
Frankenford pilot
Donating Member1

I can’t find info on CB use but this should explain a few things regarding mobile phone use.
https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/safe...es-and-driving

The use of a CB/2 way radio is far less distracting compared to a mobile phone.
As for looking away to find the mic, don’t forget most people that use a CB spend 8+ hours a day sitting in the same seat with the same surroundings. Any driver that has to take his eyes off the road to find a mic should hand his licence in, Ive been there done that.

73 XB GT
Last of the Big Ports
3 users like this post:
Old 03-03-2020, 11:09 AM   #72
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe confusing,but I’m not arguing for mobile phone use!rather I am arguing that Cb radios should be treated the same therefore the use of cb,s should also be illegal.The authorities can determine if a driver was using a phone at the time of the crash,but we don’t know how many truck drivers have been involved in crashes whilst using a cb radio.Same goes for Taxi/Uber drivers and couriers fiddling with GPS etc.
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2020, 11:27 AM   #73
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

I wish VIC would hurry up and adopt this law/technology - i am exhausted from the amount of idiots with their head in their lap snapchatting their banal lives to their groupies causing missed greens, near misses and accidents everywhere you look in Melbourne. Let alone the ones doing it while moving, swerving around like drunks, adding 20KM on, 20KM off while you're following them. Sitting at a light, more often than not when i check the rear view mirror, the person behind me will look like a zombie trying to eat their own chest. Frigging over it.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 03-03-2020, 12:42 PM   #74
borough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73 4V XB View Post
I can’t find info on CB use but this should explain a few things regarding mobile phone use.

As for looking away to find the mic, don’t forget most people that use a CB spend 8+ hours a day sitting in the same seat with the same surroundings. Any driver that has to take his eyes off the road to find a mic should hand his licence in, Ive been there done that.
Do you have anything to back up your claim that using a CB radio is less distracting than talking on a phone? One of the conclusions from the following study is "Talking/listening on a hands-free cell phone did not have an increased odds ratio".
https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...25753517320520
Old 03-03-2020, 01:21 PM   #75
73 4V XB
Frankenford pilot
Donating Member1

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by borough
Do you have anything to back up your claim that using a CB radio is less distracting than talking on a phone? One of the conclusions from the following study is "Talking/listening on a hands-free cell phone did not have an increased odds ratio".
https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...25753517320520
I’m using personal experience to make my observations not an American study.
I’m not going to spend the day searching for information that I feel doesn’t really need to be justified. The current laws state mobile phone’s are not to be used in your hand and a CB mic is ok. That’s enough proof for me.

73 XB GT
Last of the Big Ports
Old 03-03-2020, 02:27 PM   #76
borough

Quote:
I’m using personal experience to make my observations not an American study.
I’m not going to spend the day searching for information that I feel doesn’t really need to be justified. The current laws state mobile phone’s are not to be used in your hand and a CB mic is ok. That’s enough proof for me.

Thanks for confirming that you have nothing other than your subjective personal experience to back up your position of talking on a hands free mobile phone is more distracting than using a hand held CB radio.

My subjective personal experience after driving a loan Ford Ranger yesterday is that they're a gutless, uncomfortable vehicle to drive and no better than the MN Triton I traded.
Old 03-03-2020, 03:25 PM   #77
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by borough View Post
Thanks for confirming that you have nothing other than your subjective personal experience to back up your position of talking on a hands free mobile phone is more distracting than using a hand held CB radio.

My subjective personal experience after driving a loan Ford Ranger yesterday is that they're a gutless, uncomfortable vehicle to drive and no better than the MN Triton I traded.
This is kind of getting a but stupid now...

This is the law

Quote:
To keep yourself and other road users safe your full attention is needed when driving. Driving while using a mobile phone held in your hand is illegal—even if you're stopped in traffic. This means you can't:
  • hold the phone next to or near your ear with your hand
  • write, send or read a text message
  • turn your phone on or off
  • operate any other function on your phone

Seems reasonable to me
Old 03-03-2020, 03:25 PM   #78
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:

I've been driving interstate for >40 years and have used both whilst driving, albeit the phone use was on country highways and usually at night.

CB conversations were usually about what was going on around me, only one person could talk at a time and conversations were usually brief.

Phone conversations required more concentration even with a hands free setup.

You've obviously used a mobile whilst driving, have you used a CB?.....If so which one do you think required the most thought and concentration in the conversation.
Old 03-03-2020, 03:50 PM   #79
borough

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post
This is kind of getting a but stupid now...

This is the law

Seems reasonable to me
I'm not arguing that you should be able to use a hand held mobile phone while driving. The evidence from studies show that is a bad idea. My point is that using a hand held CB radio is in IMO more distracting for the driver than using a Hands Free Mobile phone. One is legal for P platers and one is not. I cannot find any studies into the use of CB radios and driver distraction.

I have used both and the Hands Free mobile is much less distracting to me.
Old 03-03-2020, 03:54 PM   #80
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
I'm not arguing that you should be able to use a hand held mobile phone while driving. The evidence from studies show that is a bad idea. My point is that using a hand held CB radio is in IMO more distracting for the driver than using a Hands Free Mobile phone. One is legal for P platers and one is not. I cannot find any studies into the use of CB radios and driver distraction.

I have used both and the Hands Free mobile is much less distracting to me.
The number of traffic incidents caused by CB is obviously negligible otherwise the authorities would enact some law to curb their use.

So perhaps that is your answer. CB radios aren't a big issue.
Old 03-03-2020, 04:07 PM   #81
borough

Quote:
The number of traffic incidents caused by CB is obviously negligible otherwise the authorities would enact some law to curb their use.

So perhaps that is your answer. CB radios aren't a big issue.
It is very easy to corralate mobile use to accidents as the phone companies have usage logs. There is no easy way to do that with CB radios. Lack of government action does not mean there is not an issue.
Old 03-03-2020, 04:25 PM   #82
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
It is very easy to corralate mobile use to accidents as the phone companies have usage logs. There is no easy way to do that with CB radios. Lack of government action does not mean there is not an issue.
Is it your position that CB radios are a hidden killer on the roads now?
Old 03-03-2020, 04:30 PM   #83
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Better not use mine, the mic chord might tangle around my neck and strangle me.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2020, 04:57 PM   #84
73 4V XB
Frankenford pilot
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Better not use mine, the mic chord might tangle around my neck and strangle me.
So you’ve suffered mic rage to

73 XB GT
Last of the Big Ports
2 users like this post:
Old 03-03-2020, 06:18 PM   #85
borough

Quote:

My position is that hands free mobile phone is less distracting to the driver than using a hand held CB radio mic. Pretty simple really.
Old 03-03-2020, 06:34 PM   #86
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
My position is that hands free mobile phone is less distracting to the driver than using a hand held CB radio mic. Pretty simple really.
So, as you're quite familiar with both would you mind answering my two questions in post 78?
Old 03-03-2020, 06:52 PM   #87
CATXR8
OWN THE ROAD

Everyone are comparing CB with talking on a mobile phone and missing a very important part.
CB are safer.
Why.
Because on a CB you talk and thats it.
On a mobile you talk, look for music, send a text and receive, on Facebook, on chat , finding a phone number, take a picture, gps, etc.
All of this is distracting unlike a CB.
So if you think CB is the same you are trying to find an outlet to justify you use of a mobile phone.
And if caught the police should jump on the %$#÷=×+ mobile phone and smash it. Then people may learn.
WORK HORSE - P250
CATXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2020, 07:01 PM   #88
borough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
I've been driving interstate for >40 years and have used both whilst driving, albeit the phone use was on country highways and usually at night.

CB conversations were usually about what was going on around me, only one person could talk at a time and conversations were usually brief.

Phone conversations required more concentration even with a hands free setup.

You've obviously used a mobile whilst driving, have you used a CB?.....If so which one do you think required the most thought and concentration in the conversation.
To me a phone conversation requires no more concentration than talking to a passenger in the car or listening to the radio. It is rather simple, a call comes in and I press the answer button on the stearing wheel and start talking, my hand never leaves the wheel or my eyes leave the road. My concentration is the road first and the call second. Using the CB radio required more concentration on my part than a phone call. I've been driving for 20+ years and rack up at least 30,000km a year.

Last edited by borough; 03-03-2020 at 07:08 PM.
borough is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2020, 07:07 PM   #89
borough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CATXR8 View Post
Everyone are comparing CB with talking on a mobile phone and missing a very important part.
CB are safer.
Why.
On a mobile you talk, look for music, send a text and receive, on Facebook, on chat , finding a phone number, take a picture, gps, etc.
So if you think CB is the same you are trying to find an outlet to justify you use of a mobile phone.
And if caught the police should jump on the %$#÷=×+ mobile phone and smash it. Then people may learn.
Oh FFS i'm talking about using a phone with hands free and using it to talk and thats it. How is that any different to using a CB except your hands stay on the wheel and eyes on the road? All of what you have mentioned except navigation is not allowed as per the Victorian road rules.
2 users like this post:
Old 03-03-2020, 07:23 PM   #90
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CATXR8 View Post
CB are safer.
Why.
I dunno. I used to roam the channels while driving looking for some hot YL's.....
3 users like this post: