Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-11-2011, 05:35 PM   #61
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Default Re: Fg Mk2 Online

The RRP+ORC listed is meaningless, stupid numbers enforced by legislation reflected in reality nowhere else except motoring magazines and reviews (where the opposition product looks equally poor, ala the recent article on ecolpi FG). Much fuss over nothing, but I concur having them on the website isnt likely to lead to sales. Leave em off. (remember when this started every manufacturers pricing disappeared overnight off their sites)

I reckon FG2 XR will be much nicer in the flesh. XT definite improvement even in the pics. G6E a wait and see.

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2011, 05:45 PM   #62
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

i love the look of it, i have no real qualms with any of the models, and the XT looks great. I'll be interested to see some drive-away prices on carpoint but obviously there are no FG2's there yet.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2011, 05:47 PM   #63
AMGC63
Banned

Why is it when ever Ford releases a new model the main topic people want to discuss is complaining about the price....??
If you're a SERIOUS buyer you'll haggle and do a deal rather than moan here.
AMGC63 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2011, 05:52 PM   #64
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMGC63
Why is it when ever Ford releases a new model the main topic people want to discuss is complaining about the price....??
If you're a SERIOUS buyer you'll haggle and do a deal rather than moan here.
the point is the RRP is considerably higher than everyone was expecting. I remember dad picking up his new BA XT in mid 2003 for low 30's. And he hardly did any haggling. None from memory. He got it in manual though, optioned a couple of things.

People are allowed to express their opinion on pricing. As i said we have to wait to see what the real drive-away deals are, then comment again.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:56 PM   #65
AMGC63
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Farnsworth
the point is the RRP is considerably higher than everyone was expecting. I remember dad picking up his new BA XT in mid 2003 for low 30's. And he hardly did any haggling. None from memory. He got it in manual though, optioned a couple of things.

People are allowed to express their opinion on pricing. As i said we have to wait to see what the real drive-away deals are, then comment again.
True, but how much higher is the RRP than the outgoing equivilant?
The 36K drive away XR6 tactic is one of desperation, its not something that is good for Ford long term as much as we all love a bargain.
You cant blame them for trying to maintain margin and raise the price expectation.
Ive never bought a car on price alone, its allways been on a range of determiners first, price is the last thing i consider.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:59 PM   #66
AMGC63
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
It is somewhat ironic that the people who are complaining about the price of Australian made cars seem to be the same ones who complain when the subject of moving manufacture offshore to reduce costs as the labour in Australia is much more expensive.

You want high wages then somebody has to pay for it.......
Absolutely spot on.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:02 PM   #67
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMGC63
True, but how much higher is the RRP than the outgoing equivilant?
The 36K drive away XR6 tactic is one of desperation, its not something that is good for Ford long term as much as we all love a bargain.
You cant blame them for trying to maintain margin and raise the price expectation.
Ive never bought a car on price alone, its allways been on a range of determiners first, price is the last thing i consider.
yes there are many factors but for the majority, price is a very, very big factor. I can't recall exactly what the RRP was for the FG1 XT, something around 42k i think? Someone know the figures?

That said there are XT's for 27K new on carsales at the moment, XR's for under 30K.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:04 PM   #68
AMGC63
Banned

Quote:
That said there are XT's for 27K new on carsales at the moment, XR's for under 30K.
We should all be very concerned about this.....
Old 01-11-2011, 06:05 PM   #69
XRDeeze
UTRIED

so are they gonna be sellin the FPV's at 80k plus? :/

Townsville Drag 1/10/11 PB: 15.34 @ 91.09 mph
XRDeeze is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2011, 06:06 PM   #70
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Another point is:

If the new model was advertised at the same price as the old one why would anyone buy the old one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_XR603
so are they gonna be sellin the FPV's at 80k plus? :/
Well two of mine were (GTP 88k, F6 82k) and that was discounted.......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2011, 06:06 PM   #71
dimka100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I’m not sure that you understood what I said so I will elaborate … I was looking for a base XR6 with no special features of any kind, so in this case the RRP is relevant as its also for a base car.

Initially I went to a number of local Ford dealers just to be told how expensive the Falcon is … I know that people who buy through fleets get massive discounts hence I did not believe their BS … I started to look for other avenues …

As per an advice from a mate, I then did a simple search on www.carsales.com.au across Australia and came up with a few dealers selling the Falcons in QLD and VIC for a price which I think was right …

I then called one of the VIC dealers, and after a brief discussion we agreed on a price which I thought was right … next Friday I flew down to Melbourne and picked up the car … all in all the XR6 ended up costing me about 32K on the road … which is a far cry from the 36 – 37K I was getting from Sydney dealers by “negotiating” with them …

I don’t personally think I represent the minority as most people shop around and shopping around on the internet is a hell of a lot easier these days than driving to many different dealers just to be told BS … With Ford setting such high RRP of the FG2 range I can only imagine what one will be told when they say to the dealer drop 15K of that …

Quote:
Actually come to think of it I do know someone like you, he rang all over Australia to buy his F6 eventually from Sydney and Canberra for his BMW (bike). He saved $500 on the car and about $1000 on the bike. Of course he had to sell his trades privately with took ages and cost him rego and quite a bit in roadworthies and it seemed whenever he went in for warrant or a service all the courtesy cars were unavailable.

But you are a rarity (and I regularly work with quite a number of dealers) as the majority of people who actually buy cars choose the car on features first, price second so maybe they are aiming their advertising at the general public.

It is also of note if you use any of the same internet sites they tend to give the same results for any marque as in RRP vs RRP or discounted vs discounted but not a mix.
dimka100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2011, 06:21 PM   #72
XRDeeze
UTRIED

Quote:
Another point is:

If the new model was advertised at the same price as the old one why would anyone buy the old one?

Well two of mine were (GTP 88k, F6 82k) and that was discounted.......
dam, what do you do for a living? i want ur job lol

Townsville Drag 1/10/11 PB: 15.34 @ 91.09 mph
XRDeeze is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2011, 06:23 PM   #73
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimka100
I then called one of the VIC dealers, and after a brief discussion we agreed on a price which I thought was right … next Friday I flew down to Melbourne and picked up the car … all in all the XR6 ended up costing me about 32K on the road … which is a far cry from the 36 – 37K I was getting from Sydney dealers by “negotiating” with them …
some dealers just have cars they need to get rid of. maybe you found a dealer that just happened to have what you want, but was having trouble moving it in his environment, or he just didn't want a pov pack sitting in his showroom.

i'm assuming the car you bought was new, not demo or used?
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2011, 06:25 PM   #74
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen

Ford have to make their RRP more reflective of actual transaction prices if they want to sell cars in the internet age.
THis...

What's the point of giving a 18k discount on a RRP that the car never sells for anyways....

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2011, 06:29 PM   #75
AMGC63
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
some dealers just have cars they need to get rid of. maybe you found a dealer that just happened to have what you want, but was having trouble moving it in his environment, or he just didn't want a pov pack sitting in his showroom.

i'm assuming the car you bought was new, not demo or used?
Correct, we need to be very careful that "best deals" are not the new RRP...
Dealers discount certain cars for a host of reasons including unpopular colors and options, demo's, over stocks etc. Just because a snot green manual XR6 thats been on the lot for 12 months sells for 32k doesnt mean an auto edge xr6 with leather will sell for 32k too..
Old 01-11-2011, 06:31 PM   #76
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I don’t personally think I represent the minority as most people shop around and shopping around on the internet is a hell of a lot easier these days than driving to many different dealers just to be told BS
Exactly. I dont have the time to spend days negotiating, nor do i have any desire to 'play the game'.

Offer me a realistic price, and then we can discuss.

RRP is an elimination tool for me. I dont care that i can theoretically negotiate $X off - its too dependent on the whim of the sales guy. I found this out when I tried to buy a Golf R, was told RRP take it or leave, then within two weeks someone on the VW forums got 10% off that car from the same dealership.

I accept that dealers will try to get top dollar, but if they're struggling for sales, they also need to be aware that I simply wont even look at car X if the RRP isnt in the range.
b0son is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2011, 06:38 PM   #77
dimka100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes the car was brand new … I did ask the dealer if he made any profit on it and the answer was “yes, but not very much” … I also got floor mats for free as well. As for the service it was far better than anything I expected from a Sydney dealer, then even picked me up from Melbourne airport and drop me 50km to the dealership …

As for popular or unpopular … well it’s a bog stock blue Euro 4 XR6 … so its apples to apples comparison to the RRP … My personal opinion is when Ford sells XR6s at 36K they still make a reasonable profit as big fleets get them at about the 31K mark …
Old 01-11-2011, 06:39 PM   #78
dimka100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

100% agree with you mate!!! and so is just about every person I know of thats been on the market in the last few years ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son
Exactly. I dont have the time to spend days negotiating, nor do i have any desire to 'play the game'.

Offer me a realistic price, and then we can discuss.

RRP is an elimination tool for me. I dont care that i can theoretically negotiate $X off - its too dependent on the whim of the sales guy. I found this out when I tried to buy a Golf R, was told RRP take it or leave, then within two weeks someone on the VW forums got 10% off that car from the same dealership.

I accept that dealers will try to get top dollar, but if they're struggling for sales, they also need to be aware that I simply wont even look at car X if the RRP isnt in the range.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:44 PM   #79
prydey
Rob

why do i get the feeling that if ford made a tv ad that appealed to AFF members, and lowered their RRP, they increase their sales to commodore like numbers overnight.

geez, the boffins down at ford really do have no clue, and many members on here are wasting their true calling.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2011, 06:47 PM   #80
AMGC63
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
why do i get the feeling that if ford made a tv ad that appealed to AFF members, and lowered their RRP, they increase their sales to commodore like numbers overnight.

geez, the boffins down at ford really do have no clue, and many members on here are wasting their true calling.
You'd have to lower driving age first..... :-)
Old 01-11-2011, 06:49 PM   #81
nz13boy

those are the sort of prices that the "bros" back home in nz would have to pay.

maybe they have got nz rrp prices up for some stupid reason?
Old 01-11-2011, 06:52 PM   #82
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:

Be careful, they look to be 2010 plate cars...
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2011, 07:05 PM   #83
superfly
Go the Hogster!

Quote:

Only about 2-3 months ago, Ford was advertising brand new XR6's for $34990 with a $2000 cashback. So the car cost $32,990 drive away without even haggling. Even now they have a LE model which is $34990 drive away so I can't understand why you were quoted 36-37. Doesn't make sense.

I've been looking around for ages for a new XR6 but I wanted one with extra features. I found the RRP on the Ford site for just a basic XR6 was in the $40's even though they were advertised for about $10K less. Which doesn't make any sense. Even in the car mags, the RRP is quoted in the $40's.

In the end I bought the last brand new XR50. Took a little while to talk the dealer down in price.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:46 PM   #84
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

I don't think anyone expects a brand spanking new FG2 XR6 at a ridiculously cheap $$$. But there is a real disconnect with the RRP to the actual average transaction / price.

Earlier I suggested the following prices

XT - $34,990
G6 - $36,990
G6E - $43,990
G6ET - $49,990
XR6 - $36,990
XR6T - $43,990

Add $2500 if you want EcoLPi. Add another $2500-$3500 for delivery / on road costs.

So, if you're an early adopter essentially you would be paying the on roads. Later on the price would be driveaway.

Sure the changeover price is the most important part of the deal. The resale percentage looks much better with a realistic price to start with. It also makes the purchase feel better from a value for money perspective.

Scenario is you've had enough of your VE, decided it's time to upgrade to an FG2. You might've paid $42k for the VE, but it will get you $12k on trade in. You get the FG2 for $37k and think 5 years on, i've got a newer car, superior in so many ways and yet it was cheaper than the car i previously bought. You're thinking I got a bargain. Shame the depreciation on the Commodore was so bad. That's a positive for Ford and negative for GM Holden.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2011, 08:49 PM   #85
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
It may need major changes to the rest of the car to make it work. You will need to either talk to someone who is building them of chack through all the part numbers.

e.g. Fitting a genuine satnav to a B series is not as simple as plugging it in.
I believe ASL was working on the touch screen.

I'll wait till they hit the showroom to see prices. The XR6 was about 44.5k rrp so I wouldn't worry.

To me it sounds more like excuses on here from people that aren't going to buy...or people that want the lowest price point....I wonder if these are the same people that will complain when their new car is worth nothing come trade in time.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:07 PM   #86
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Be careful, they look to be 2010 plate cars...
yes they were, at least some of them. Still 0KM though.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:21 PM   #87
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
yes they were, at least some of them. Still 0KM though.
Only about 5 brand new 2010s come up at that price but be careful of search engines,
some of those are old ads, one had 2010 half hear sale. I think if you went to inquire about those cars they would be gone...

Last edited by jpd80; 01-11-2011 at 09:29 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:26 PM   #88
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If the RRP is $44k and FORD dealer sells the car for $34k, how do they make a profit???or are the cars overpriced to begin with????? so there is room to negotiate??? all seems strange???? It would be interesting to know how much a car actually costs to build??? when you look at the G6, G6E etc, not much extra kit for the price??? over an XT???
Old 01-11-2011, 09:33 PM   #89
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
If the RRP is $44k and FORD dealer sells the car for $34k, how do they make a profit???or are the cars overpriced to begin with????? so there is room to negotiate??? all seems strange???? It would be interesting to know how much a car actually costs to build??? when you look at the G6, G6E etc, not much extra kit for the price??? over an XT???
At the moment those dealers that are willing to take a risk on run out stock can get bulk
numbers at greatly reduced price and do lots of good deals with them. Funny because
I have a mate who has worked at dealerships that do this, other DPs not willing to take a risk
usually complain that bulk discounts are unfair and reduce competition but it's funny that
these DP aren't willing to gamble to make money, to the victor goes the spoils..
Old 01-11-2011, 09:53 PM   #90
5.4 GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wheels look familiar to the A6 I rented in Europe recently...

2011 Audi A4 2.7 TDI - gone
2012 Audi A5 3.0 Quattro Coupe - gone
2007 FPV GT - gone
1996 EFII Fairmont Ghia - gone
5.4 GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post