Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 01-11-2007, 12:36 AM   #61
Kenster

Just to add i had one group of kids came to my place for treat or tricks i just gave them lollies consider i quickly grap whatever lollies were in the house. Think next year i will give them an apple
Kenster is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2007, 12:37 AM   #62
steevo d

gotta admire your passion, but..
simple physics, calories in vs kilojoules spent...you are either 1 of 3,
not burning enough for what you eat, burning too much for what you eat or burning just enough to keep a consistant weight.
take a look at your average aussie kid 50 years ago..
how many fat ones were there compared to now??
we are a very lazy country these days.

as far as the pedophiles go, i would take great pleasure in personally mechanically castrating them all. would anyone on this forum disagree?
unfortunately in this day & age as parents we have to be more aware & vigilant than ever before for our kids sake
not a good flaming but if thats all ya got?
Old 01-11-2007, 12:39 AM   #63
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenster
Reason why i follow my own culture is tradtion and family just like everybody else, im a proud Asian and Australian,and i don't cristimated other cultures.
fair enough, as long as you dont feel pressured, be who you want to be. as long as you know this isn't asia . that is all that matters.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2007, 12:41 AM   #64
starwars_guy456

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
honestly dude . here . why do you follow your own culture ???
wouldnt it be better to go back home where your culture is then . and why do you have a chip on your shoulder . you should be proud your asian, but why not be an australian if your living here .
australians need a culture to you know???

So an Australian migrating to the US would be expected to forget everything about our culture, and live exactly like everyone there?

Let's just respect everybody's views and not get political here...
starwars_guy456 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2007, 12:43 AM   #65
TheED94

im with everyone whos against it.
at least in america everyones into it, and its the "normal" thing to do every year. over here its a half arsed effort, a kid with a sheet over his head or a mask on walking around the streets when its still daylight coz its summer and we have daylight savings! no one knows what the there doing.
TheED94 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2007, 12:44 AM   #66
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by steevo d
gotta admire your passion, but..
simple physics, calories in vs kilojoules spent...you are either 1 of 3,
not burning enough for what you eat, burning too much for what you eat or burning just enough to keep a consistant weight.
take a look at your average aussie kid 50 years ago..
how many fat ones were there compared to now??
we are a very lazy country these days.

as far as the pedophiles go, i would take great pleasure in personally mechanically castrating them all. would anyone on this forum disagree?
unfortunately in this day & age as parents we have to be more aware & vigilant than ever before for our kids sake
not a good flaming but if thats all ya got?

i just gave you one because you put the suit on . thats all mate . :
Old 01-11-2007, 12:44 AM   #67
steevo d

gotta admit, i thought it was the holden fans that were the real rednecks, seeing some of these posts tonight makes me realise we have a lot more in common with the holden mob than you would all like to admit!
Old 01-11-2007, 12:46 AM   #68
steevo d

Quote:
i just gave you one because you put the suit on . thats all mate . :
fair enough matey, but i can't get over the general direction this thread has taken... i can take your post in good humour but some of the others are almost too unreal to believe!
Old 01-11-2007, 12:50 AM   #69
3vXT

If people let religion control their lives so much they can't handle a few kids dressing up like ghosts and knocking on their front door... perhaps they should have a brake and a kit kat or something.

As for kids getting grabbed by nasty people, if people take the right precautions (big groups of kids with someone older nearby) then i don't think its a problem.

As for us all becoming 'Americanised'. It sounds like a bunch of people over reacting, trying to make a point by turning into the fun police and stopping some kids from having a good time once a year. Correct me if i'm wrong but that itself is more American than Halloween.
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2007, 12:54 AM   #70
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by starwars_guy456
So an Australian migrating to the US would be expected to forget everything about our culture, and live exactly like everyone there?

Let's just respect everybody's views and not get political here...
hmmmm . i try not to talk about what i dont know . so how about me for example . a 1/2 cast and proud of it . but born and bred australian.
my father is maltese. they have a culture which i respect, but i respect australias culture more.
my da came out here with 3 brothers and a sister . one of his broithers went back home and now lives there .
so now just dad , 2 brothers and a sister here . my dad was the only one who nmarried an aussie woman . the other 3 married maltese( born in malta)
all of my cousins on my fathers side are bilinguil, good for them . i know how to say hello , in maltese, thats it . because at home we speak english.
all my fathers children , married whoever they wanted . me an aussie , my sister an aussie , and my brother , a maltese .
all my cousins (born here with maltese parents who migrated here and met here in australia) well all of them , yes all of them , somehow happened to grow up , speaking more maltese than english, and then meeting and marrying, 2nd generation ( australian maltese partners) HOW CO INCIDENTAL.
i thinbk my dad must respect his own ciulture , but respect the australian way, seeing he lives here hey.
one of my cousins did marry an aussie . who was dissowned by her family. till she divorced him and married a maltese .

you ask me what would i know , now you know.
Old 01-11-2007, 12:56 AM   #71
1970galaxie
Fat 460

Since when is kids having good fun destroying citizen's property?
That's what they do when they don't get what they want.
2003 BA XR8 Ute. Blood Orange. 5.4/5 speed.
2006 Territory Turbo. Silhouette. 4.0/6 speed auto.
1970galaxie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2007, 01:02 AM   #72
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockoau
wtf?? Since when has CHRISTmas been considered anti Christian? Do you know what it’s all about? I heard somewhere it’s the celebration of the birth of Christ. Just so you all know I’m not some bible basher, I don’t celebrate Christmas or any other religious holiday. But I do know a lot about a lot of FAIRY TALES which millions of people base there lives around.

10 years of mega religious church going mate . before i pulled out . and now am non judgementel, nor religious . wtf .
i do know what i'm saying . some churches ( christian appose any form of false god what so ever, santa included) some turn a blind eye to it . most do not endorse it .
it's people who see no harm in giving presents, and believing in sant for a short time that turn a blind eye to what the bible says and endorse xmas . it has nothing to do with religion .
xmas was just hijacted, just like holloween .

anyhow . i'm not religious anymore . i sticck to myself these days . and have my own views . i'm just relaying what i think i know a little, not a lot about. because peoiple are asking . thats all.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:07 AM   #73
stiddy
Banned

Had trick or treaters tonight, walking down both sides of the street with their parents waiting out the front, didnt have any issues handing over snakes, chocies and what not.. spoke to a few of the neighbours it was good..

Although, the last trick or treaters left my house with 3/4 a bottle of apple vodka and a bottle of lemonade.. and both will be back on friday night LOL legal of course.
stiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2007, 01:07 AM   #74
starwars_guy456

Quote:
hmmmm . i try not to talk about what i dont know . so how about me for example . a 1/2 cast and proud of it . but born and bred australian.
my father is maltese. they have a culture which i respect, but i respect australias culture more.
my da came out here with 3 brothers and a sister . one of his broithers went back home and now lives there .
so now just dad , 2 brothers and a sister here . my dad was the only one who nmarried an aussie woman . the other 3 married maltese( born in malta)
all of my cousins on my fathers side are bilinguil, good for them . i know how to say hello , in maltese, thats it . because at home we speak english.
all my fathers children , married whoever they wanted . me an aussie , my sister an aussie , and my brother , a maltese .
all my cousins (born here with maltese parents who migrated here and met here in australia) well all of them , yes all of them , somehow happened to grow up , speaking more maltese than english, and then meeting and marrying, 2nd generation ( australian maltese partners) HOW CO INCIDENTAL.
i thinbk my dad must respect his own ciulture , but respect the australian way, seeing he lives here hey.
one of my cousins did marry an aussie . who was dissowned by her family. till she divorced him and married a maltese .

you ask me what would i know , now you know.

Well, that's good, it takes all sorts to make Australians, everybody has a chance to contribute to the community.

But let me ask you how you'd feel if somebody asked your cousins to go back home because they spoke more Maltese than English... Your cousins made a choice to stay here, to contribute to our society, while keeping the bits of culture that they preferred.

Look, I'm not really having a go at you - just trying to show you that it can be hurtful for some people to have to be told to leave because they don't fit in fully.

Anyway, we're not really keeping within the topic of the thread, maybe we'll chat via PM?
starwars_guy456 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2007, 01:13 AM   #75
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by starwars_guy456
Well, that's good, it takes all sorts to make Australians, everybody has a chance to contribute to the community.

But let me ask you how you'd feel if somebody asked your cousins to go back home because they spoke more Maltese than English... Your cousins made a choice to stay here, to contribute to our society, while keeping the bits of culture that they preferred.

Look, I'm not really having a go at you - just trying to show you that it can be hurtful for some people to have to be told to leave because they don't fit in fully.

Anyway, we're not really keeping within the topic of the thread, maybe we'll chat via PM?

yeah your right mate, i would feel a bit offended . thanks for pointing that out to me . i know your not havving a go at me , nor i at you. sorry if i offended you , i didn't see it that way . cheers.
i know were a bit off topic . but the thread is thriving . cheers.
Old 01-11-2007, 02:43 AM   #76
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Hi all. As I said earlier, I would post some pikies of our night in the Alice where halloween is huge. I gotta say that I had a ball. When you spend a night like this with some freinds that are from the US, you really get the buzz of a fun night.

Some are a bir blurry... Too much red wine!!!
Old 01-11-2007, 08:44 AM   #77
Quasi
Boss 290 BA GT Goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Freak
It is not hatred. It is an attempt to protect ourselves from being engulfed by foreign cultures and losing our sense of identity.
You mean like the same thing that's been happening to Aboriginals for 200 years?

This whole thread has lost direction. Instead of a harmless vent, and harmless replies, it's now turning into a race issue.....I think everybody needs to take a step back.
The Toy - 03 BA GT In 'Venom', Silver BF Stripe Kit, Non-Premium Sound, Cloth Trim, Auto, 19" Staggered Vertini, Custom Exhaust, Roof DVD

Member of the FPV & XR Owners Club of ACT

Web Links To Check Out

Shannons Club Garage

Facebook Photo Albums
Quasi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2007, 08:52 AM   #78
RepSpec
Formerly XG-Panelvanman

WOW

I UNLEASHED A MONSTER (NO PUN INTENDED)

Im so glad everyone had an opinion on this but i still stand by my point that its not a tradition that should continue
how can u compare this day to something as significant as christmas

anyway

cheers
brendan

BA MK2 Wagon, dedicated LPG, white.

modifications:
cargo barriers, tow bar
RepSpec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2007, 09:52 AM   #79
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Isnt it an Irish tradition? Nobody seems to care about people celebrating St Patrick's Day in Oz? Why is that? Because Halloween took off more in America - Cos there are always the anti-Americans in Oz. And for what? Just freaking get over it, you sound jealous. I think if you are anti-American, that is fine, but it would be hypocritical to be driving a Ford.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2007, 11:29 AM   #80
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

On the radio today there was a story about how two young kids went up to a house and asked for "trick or treat" and the guy that answered said "treat" and exposed himself. No way if I had kids would I let them roam the neighbourhood knocking on strangers doors by themselvs. Supervised I have no problem with it (noone knocked on my door last night :-(
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2007, 11:46 AM   #81
VladTepes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
snip....

That would be like saying, we should ignore Christmas because they celebrate that in America.

THAT is a GREAT farkin' idea !!!!!!!!!!!

Smile It confuses people.
VladTepes is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2007, 12:04 PM   #82
XRchic
Hello

Too many sad, bitter, funless people on here who are too quick to blame America for everything, as seems to be the trend these days... and too many people who cannot read (its NOT an American tradition - its been said 5 times) or write (read some of those posts).

Perhaps being illiterate and judgemental spoilsports can be the new Aussie culture....

: Cobra :
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2007, 12:46 PM   #83
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think it is terrible that there is an event where young people all get together and excerise their imaginations and well as their bodies by dressing up and wandering around the streets actually meeting their neighbors face to face.

This is discusting and should be banned immediately.

How are they going to grow up to be introverted text obsessed keyboard warrior misanthropic malcontents with this sort of thing happening to them every once in a while?

It is important that 5 year olds remain terrified of "the ghost or monster under the bed". If they are exposed to make believe monsters they may get used to the idea and not wake up screaming at all hours.
It is also important that older children have no contact with anyone other than their peers and school teachers as they might get exposed to a different point of view or culture.

How can you possibly expect then to blindly hate someone if they have actually met and talked to them?

For the extremely stupid members on here (and there semm to be quite a few), this is scarcasm and for those who are just antisocial nasty obnoxious little bastards who cannot stand the idea of someone else enjoying themselves with harmless social activites.

GET A LIFE.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2007, 12:46 PM   #84
VladTepes

I don't blame America for everything ..... I blame John Howard !

Bloody European Black Plague - bloody John Howard !!!

anyway back on topic....

When I was a kid I lived in Saudi Arabia with lots of Canadians and a few Americans. Obviously Halloween was a big deal amongst them and being kids we got caught up in the excitement Free lollies ?! How good is that !!!!!

Fortunately we lived in a closed compound so knew everyone whose doors we were knocking on so it was a pretty safe environment in that way.

We used pillowcases as out trick or treat bags and used to come home with about TWO PILLOWCASES FULL of lollies (sorry, candy!). You could hear the dentists ordering new Mercedes' every Halloween !

It was great fun and kids love that sort of stuff.

I do have my concerns about this thing in the general community though where people are knocking on the doors of complete strangers. There used to be a story going around that a bloke in the USA was giving out apples with razor blades inserted into them (toffee apples presumably or no kid would have eaten them!). It may or may not be true but it's certainly something that COULD happen. Anyway I;d be keeping a very close eye on kids doing trick or treating.

Smile It confuses people.
VladTepes is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2007, 12:47 PM   #85
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
I think it is terrible that there is an event where young people all get together and excerise their imaginations and well as their bodies by dressing up and wandering around the streets actually meeting their neighbors face to face.

This is discusting and should be banned immediately.

How are they going to grow up to be introverted text obsessed keyboard warrior misanthropic malcontents with this sort of thing happening to them every once in a while?

It is important that 5 year olds remain terrified of "the ghost or monster under the bed". If they are exposed to make believe monsters they may get used to the idea and not wake up screaming at all hours.
It is also important that older children have no contact with anyone other than their peers and school teachers as they might get exposed to a different point of view or culture.

How can you possibly expect then to blindly hate someone if they have actually met and talked to them?

For the extremely stupid members on here (and there semm to be quite a few), this is scarcasm and for those who are just antisocial nasty obnoxious little bastards who cannot stand the idea of someone else enjoying themselves with harmless social activites.

GET A LIFE.
+1 vote for comment of the day :hihi:

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2007, 01:22 PM   #86
|||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the best trick is to wrap ice cubes in candy wrappers. you just quickly toss them in the bags when the kids hold them out. they melt and make a huge mess. works best when the kids have paper bags lol
||| is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2007, 01:24 PM   #87
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by |||
the best trick is to wrap ice cubes in candy wrappers. you just quickly toss them in the bags when the kids hold them out. they melt and make a huge mess. works best when the kids have paper bags lol
harsh BUT........fair

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2007, 01:27 PM   #88
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
On the radio today there was a story about how two young kids went up to a house and asked for "trick or treat" and the guy that answered said "treat" and exposed himself. No way if I had kids would I let them roam the neighbourhood knocking on strangers doors by themselvs. Supervised I have no problem with it (noone knocked on my door last night :-(
Just to clarify, that wasn't me. I didn't get anybody knock on my door after the first lot got Apples.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2007, 02:04 PM   #89
LTDHO
The one and only

Yeah haaa, bring on American 'traditions' Australia isn't American enough yet!

OK, I know it originated in Scotland. Then Americans comercialised it. Now Austrailia is now trying to take it.

I'm not bitter from not 'trick or treating' when I was young, but really is Halloween such a good idea?

It's bad enough that it's an american thing australians are embracing, but do kids need more junk food? Then why do the resort to vanalism as a trick?

Halloween? No thanks.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2007, 02:07 PM   #90
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Hey Gtfpv,

Ever been to Malta? I'm half Maltese myself.

2 funny things I learnt about Malta. It was a British colony, so English is spoken by 99% of the population.

And as for population. I think Malta is the only country in the world where there are more nationals living outside of the country than within.

Anyway...
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post