Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-03-2011, 04:50 PM   #61
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Wow that is a genuine surprise..I can think of another good engine with EPAS that would be great in the falcon line up..hehe

Seriously though, if the new Diesel Territory doesn't sell well then I give up...its a great package on paper.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2011, 04:51 PM   #62
Chilliman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Wow that is a genuine surprise..I can think of another good engine with EPAS that would be great in the falcon line up..hehe

Seriously though, if the new Diesel Territory doesn't sell well then I give up...its a great package on paper.
I think EPAS would have to be a 'shoe-in' for FGII now that territory has it.

"Torque is the new horsepower"
Chilliman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2011, 04:57 PM   #63
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilliman
I think EPAS would have to be a 'shoe-in' for FGII now that territory has it.
Is it with the 2.7 or the I6..my hunch is 2.7...does LR have it?

But yes, if I6 then it will go across the range just for amortization reasons.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 09-03-2011, 05:18 PM   #64
gunner

A positive preview from Drive. Amazing!

http://smh.drive.com.au/green-motori...309-1bn4b.html
Quote:
Ford Australia releases details for its new diesel-powered homegrown SUV.

Ford says its long awaited diesel-powered Territory will be up to one-third more fuel efficient than current petrol models, while it has also eked savings of about 12 per cent out of the petrol model.

The diesel Territory will officially drink 8.2 litres per 100km in rear-wheel-drive variants, or 32 per cent more efficient than the existing petrol-only model. That rises to 8.8L/100km for heavier all-wheel-drive models. The diesel engine will be the sole powerplant offered on models fitted with all-wheel-drive.

Ford Australia product development director Russell Christophers says diesel engines currently account for around 40 per cent of sales in the medium-sized SUV segment, and he expects that to rise to 50 per cent by the end of this year.
Advertisement: Story continues below

Buyers have deserted the Territory in recent years as petrol prices rose, with sales slumping from a high of 23,454 in 2005 to just 11,558 last year.

Ford expects the updated model - featuring a choice of petrol or diesel engines for the first time, plus improvements to refinement, design and packaging - to "pick up the slack" in sliding sales of its large Falcon sedan and compete better with the Toyota Prado, Toyota Kluger and Holden's Captiva 7.

"I'm not sure if we can expect to pick up 50 per cent more sales, but diesel Territory will significantly improve our market share," Christophers says.

"Despite the growth in competition, Territory has been and will continue to be a very important product for Ford. The decline in market share growth was very much pegged to demand diesel that we were unable to meet."

He concedes he would have preferred to bring the diesel engine to market far sooner. "When the global financial crisis happened a lot of people had to look at their cash flows, we had to thrift our cycle plan and we simply didn't have enough engineering capacity to put it in place," Christophers says.

The new 2.7-litre turbo diese V6 was sourced from Jaguar-Land Rover and was fitted to the previous generation of the Land Rover Discovery. It makes 140kW of power at 4000rpm and 440Nm from a low 1900 to 2500rpm. It has been engineered locally to Euro IV emission regulations, and it is expected that it will be able to be adapted later to pass more stringent Euro V tests.

Ford says a diesel Territory will travel up to 1154km on the highway, and that all models are capable of a cruising range of at least 1000km. Towing capacity has also been beefed up, from 2300kg to 2700kg.

The diesel engine will be built at the company's Dagenham plant in England, and features a compacted graphite iron block. It weighs just one kilogram more than the 4.0-litre inline six-cylinder engine that carries over from the current model, defying the trend of diesel engines normally being significantly heavier than petrol units.

Ford's powertrain development manager David Mitchell said his team had focused heavily on developing the engine for fuel economy and to reduce the trademark gravelly engine noise that is the signature of most diesel engines.

"We wanted people to ask 'is it really a diesel?' when you sit in the car, and I think we've achieved that," he says.

The inline six-cylinder petrol engine carries over from the previous model and is the same 195kW/391Nm unit used in the Ford Falcon. However, a new cylinder head and inlet manifold has brought fuel savings of up to 12 per cent, with official fuel use reduced to 10.6 litres per 100km.

All-wheel-drive models also get a new active transfer case that Ford says can pre-empt slip before it occurs and shuffle torque between the front and rear axles to compensate.The previous model had a constant 37:63 torque split.

The same six-speed auto transmission that was previously fitted to higher-spec models is now standard across the range and features normal, performance and manual shift modes.

Ford says it has put significant work into reducing cabin noise, especially on diesel models. "It's exceptionally quiet - we want [customers] to notice and comment to their neighbours," says Michael Sellamans, Ford's manager for noise, vibration and harshness (NVH).

Ford benchmarked diesel versions of the BMW X5 and Land Rover Discovery and says the diesel Territory trumps both for in-cabin quietness. Modifications to tone down diesel noise include an under-body shield that also assists with aerodynamics, a new thicker windshield and better firewall insulation.

"Our mission statement is about quietness," says Sellamans. "While some customers will want a sportier sound, the Territory is primarily about family transport."

A new electronically power assisted steering system across the range will increase steering feel, Ford vehicle dynamics manager Alex De Vlugt says, while stiffer springs and anti-roll bars will add more control without sacrificing comfort.

"It shifts towards a way of controlling that makes people feel good about driving, and helps to control the vehicle better," he says. "We think that almost all customers will pick the difference. With the steering there is no doubt, and in terms of overall experience we believe that most customers will pick it up."

Ford has also installed a new chassis control system, incorporating a newer version of the all-important stability control unit that can intervene to help prevent a skid.

The addition of a driver's knee airbag means all models of the new Territory will be fitted with five airbags, including dual front airbags and a combined side-curtain unit. The curtain airbags do not cover passengers sitting in the third row of the car.

Ford is yet to announce technological innovations for the new Territory, and has not yet revealed pricing.

The new Territory will go on sale in May.

Ford Territory Diesel

Engine: 2.7-litre V6 turbo diesel
Power: 140kW at 4000rpm
Torque: 440Nm at 1900rpm
Transmission: 6-sp auto, RWD or AWD
Fuel consumption: 8.2L/100km (RWD); 8.8L/100km (AWD)
Emssions: 217g/km (RWD); 232-236g/km (AWD)
gunner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2011, 05:34 PM   #65
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

FG2 will not have EPAS as far as I know.
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2011, 05:46 PM   #66
Chilliman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPFS1
FG2 will not have EPAS as far as I know.

I know I shouldn't shoot the messenger...but Ford Aus would have to have rocks in their head if they don't include EPAS on FG2. Seeing as its across the board for Territory (including the 4.0Litre six) then there should be no technical inpediment to its inclusion on Falcon!

"Torque is the new horsepower"
Chilliman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2011, 06:10 PM   #67
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No petrol AWD Territory
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2011, 06:41 PM   #68
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGPIE
No petrol AWD Territory
Can you blame them?
Less than one in five Territorys sold last year were AWDs, imagine what
sales could have been like if the RWD had been given the ZF years ago.......
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2011, 08:48 PM   #69
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Can you blame them?
In NZ we have only had AWD Terries until SYII when we got a RWD TS.
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2011, 09:02 PM   #70
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Can you blame them?
Use them for Mica Paramedics down here in Victoria, they keep complaining on fuel consumption and where planning to ditch them, but I wonder if they've noticed this.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2011, 09:57 PM   #71
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner
A positive preview from Drive. Amazing!

http://smh.drive.com.au/green-motori...309-1bn4b.html

Quote:
Ford says it has put significant work into reducing cabin noise, especially on diesel models. "It's exceptionally quiet - we want [customers] to notice and comment to their neighbours," says Michael Sellamans, Ford's manager for noise, vibration and harshness (NVH).

Ford benchmarked diesel versions of the BMW X5 and Land Rover Discovery and says the diesel Territory trumps both for in-cabin quietness.
We can only hope that Ford tell the public how quiet it is, who it was benchmarked against and how economical it is will help win customers.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2011, 10:49 PM   #72
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyc
We can only hope that Ford tell the public how quiet it is, who it was benchmarked against and how economical it is will help win customers.
This has to be Ford's one big chance to advetise the ever livin' out of this vehicle.
If they can't stage a revitalisation on this brilliant Territory then they should fold up
and go home to America.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2011, 11:42 PM   #73
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
This has to be Ford's one big chance to advetise the ever livin' out of this vehicle.
If they can't stage a revitalisation on this brilliant Territory then they should fold up
and go home to America.

I agree, Terri has more private sales potential then the Falcon will have.
Old 10-03-2011, 12:18 AM   #74
megaphat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGPIE
No petrol AWD Territory
Thats a pity. I'd have thought consumers would have demanded a 'performance' petrol model.
megaphat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2011, 12:34 AM   #75
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive article
All-wheel-drive models also get a new active transfer case that Ford says can pre-empt slip before it occurs and shuffle torque between the front and rear axles to compensate.
Got excited when it mentioned transfer case...then it said pre empt slip and torque shuffle..

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2011, 12:37 AM   #76
Dreama

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0nni
Not a bad advert for once
yeah i saw this add the other day and thought it was pretty clever.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:36 AM   #77
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Petrol six must be very heavy if diesel weighs only 1 kg more ...
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2011, 08:01 AM   #78
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoDog68
Petrol six must be very heavy if diesel weighs only 1 kg more ...
The 4.0 petrol six weighs 195kg. Or at least that has been the general consensus in a few threads discussing Coyote v8 and other engines.

The 2.7 TDV6 has a compacted graphite iron block which means it's very strong and quiet and yet much lighter in weight than a conventional iron block for a diesel.

I read on a site that the 2.7 TDV6 was in the 195kg ballpark a few weeks back, but i figured that was without ancillaries / turbo etc. Clearly, that doesn't seem to be the case.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2011, 10:00 AM   #79
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What will kill the diesel Tezza is price. No price is mentioned and if it is at a premium, people won't buy it.Ford need to be very careful pricing it.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:05 AM   #80
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
What will kill the diesel Tezza is price. No price is mentioned and if it is at a premium, people won't buy it.Ford need to be very careful pricing it.

You'll find all diesels will have a premium over their petrol counterparts. I would assume the premium would be inline with other comparable models.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:38 AM   #81
MOND30
If You Seek AU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drive
The new 2.7-litre turbo diesel V6 was sourced from Jaguar-Land Rover and was fitted to the previous generation of the Land Rover Discovery.
They still can't get this right... the 2.7 is still fitted to the base model Discovery 4 S, and that still makes 140kW/440Nm, as far as I can tell.

Ford have done pretty well with the economy though (ie keeping weight down) - compare to the Disco 4 2.7:
Urban L/100km 13.1
Extra Urban L/100km 8.5
Combined L/100km 10.2
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5x..._OYiDekVUlmEhg
MOND30 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2011, 10:55 AM   #82
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
They have already stated in a release that it will have a price premium, although they didn't say how much.

And for all those saying the diesel should go into the Falcon, the same press release detailed that their market research showed that buyers wouldn't pay a premium for a diesel engine over a petrol engine in a Falcon. The takeup rate would be too small to bother with the investment.

However, if offered a slightly slower, but with better fuel consumption, 4 cylinder engine at no extra cost to the I6, the take up rate would be worth while investing in.

Plus it puts them back into the fleet market where a few players have gone 4 cylinder only.
arm79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2011, 11:21 AM   #83
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
EVERY single diesel in the country has a premium of over petrol. Why in gods names do you expect Tezza to be any different??
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2011, 11:28 AM   #84
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

What's odd with diesel in oz is the price at he pump. Iirc, in Europe it's much cheaper than pulp hence it's popularity....here they are close enough to the same (around melba at least).

But if your keeping the car for the long term then the economy is a clear winner. Our next family car will be a diesel, maybe lilpg depending on how well it stacks up. But the Terry will most likely get the nod for it's versatility.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 10-03-2011, 12:38 PM   #85
Bossxr8
Peter Car

They have done very well.

Getting the petrol version down to basically what the FG 5 speed auto was is very impressive.

The diesel 6 speed auto is a US built 6R80, a copy of the ZF built under license, whereas the petrol 6 speed auto is the full ZF as used in FG.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2011, 12:46 PM   #86
Dreama

Why? Surely it would be cheaper for them just to fit the one gearbox to all Terrys
Old 10-03-2011, 12:47 PM   #87
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by arm79
They have already stated in a release that it will have a price premium, although they didn't say how much.

And for all those saying the diesel should go into the Falcon, the same press release detailed that their market research showed that buyers wouldn't pay a premium for a diesel engine over a petrol engine in a Falcon. The takeup rate would be too small to bother with the investment.

However, if offered a slightly slower, but with better fuel consumption, 4 cylinder engine at no extra cost to the I6, the take up rate would be worth while investing in.

Plus it puts them back into the fleet market where a few players have gone 4 cylinder only.

Is that the same market research that deemed AU to be great design ?
Sometimes you have to lead and educated the market rather than follow misinformed masses . Hyundai decided to sell i30 in diesel guise and I think it was a good call. Changed a few perceptions.
Toyota has got Corolla diesel but it won't bring it to Oz. Can you see the big and established being too cautious and conservative ?
Falcon diesel would be a great move...
Old 10-03-2011, 01:09 PM   #88
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
They have done very well.

Getting the petrol version down to basically what the FG 5 speed auto was is very impressive.

The diesel 6 speed auto is a US built 6R80, a copy of the ZF built under license, whereas the petrol 6 speed auto is the full ZF as used in FG.

6R80 is a Ford design and not a copy of ZF .I remember when Lincoln Navigator was introduced with 6r80 and it was to replace ZF six speed.
It is probably to do with cost as ZF seems to be a benchmark for torque converter six speed autos.

Last edited by SumoDog68; 10-03-2011 at 01:25 PM.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:03 PM   #89
fairBA
Banned

Ford owns Land Rover,
Ford sells Land Rover to TATA in India,
TATA sells motor back to Ford,
$$$ to TATA,
fairBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2011, 02:17 PM   #90
CSV_LS1
I used to have a nice car

The Terri will be a big seller I think. It may keep the production line very busy.
Who knows ford may have stock piled falcons because of expected demand on terri's and having them chocka block in the factory lol. We could dream I guess.
CSV_LS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post