Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: What configuration would you use for the Veyron? (to RELIABLY make 1100HP & 1250nm)
W16 with quads just like they did 86 64.66%
V12 with quad turbs 10 7.52%
V10 with quad turbs 7 5.26%
V8 with quad turbs 5 3.76%
V8 with twin turbs 14 10.53%
Something else (please list) 11 8.27%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-10-2010, 01:39 PM   #61
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grobbo
OK this makes a lot of sense - do you reckon they were his only two requirements? I think he may have also demanded it was 4WD. Who knows what else.... It was certainly a bit of an ego project.

I'd love to know what else they tried...

Thanks for voting!
It certainly was an ego project, every attempt at producing the worlds fastest production car is an ego project, most buyers of the result never get it up to the limit.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:03 PM   #62
Grobbo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
I think you will find one of the design criteria was definitely AWD which puts a lot of pressure on them to have a compact engine package to allow room for transaxles, transfer cases etc.

Yes a V10 of similar design to the BMW M5 motor may have fitted in the area that was allocated to engine bay in the veyron and yes it may be simpler than the W16 design (not that the BMW is a simple design by any stretch of the imagination). The problem is the M5 V10 is 5L and produces 373 kw and 500 nm, which is 510 kw and 1000 nm less than the W16. Yes the M5 is NA and you could increase these figures by bolting on 2 or 4 turbos, but to get an increase in power of nearly 250% and an increase in torque of 300%, it would have to run some serious boost pressures which will have a detrimental effect on reliability. Also having a lower capacity engine relying more on boost pressure from turbos is more likely to have a peak torque curve that comes in later in the rev range than a large capacity motor running lower boost pressures. So the other option would be to increase the capacity of the V10 to that of the W16 at 8L. Lets just say we do not want to increase the stroke too much as we do not want a truck motor with long strokes and slow to rev (think of the boss motor here, it has often been criticised for its undersquare dimensions). The BMW M5 motor has a bore/stroke of 91.94/75.13 mm, very oversquare and one of the reasons it revs to 8000 rpm but also a reason it does not produce max power until 7750 rpm. Now to produce a V10 that is 75% larger in capacity to 8L and keep the present motors bore/stroke ratio you will end up with a 160 mm bore and 131 mm stroke. I think you will find there is no where near enough meat between cylinder to take a 5L V10 bore out to 160 mm (even if you could touch the bores together which you can't it would end up 80 cm long which is already longer than a W16). Just for the sake of argument, lets just say BMW have managed to fit all five cylinders per bank on the 5L V12 in the same space that VW have fitted 8 and thus have ended up with a motor length of 71 cm as well (I doubt it, I think you will find the M5 motor is longer but I can not find figures). To increase the engine capacity to 8L without increasing the length of the stroke too much you have to increase the size of the bores so lets say we increase the stoke by 25% (now 93 mm) and the bore by 50% (now 137 mm). To increase the bore size by that figure of 50% and keep the same cylinder wall thicknesses you will of course have to increase the overall length of the motor by at least the same amount to accommodate it. Motor length is now 106 cm long (35 cm longer than the W16). Suddenly your V10 requires the length of engine bay that a dodge viper has, not very conducive to mid engine, AWD and reasonable weight distribution.

The end result, which I am sure I have clearly demonstrated is that to achieve the same power levels from a motor that does not have to run small capacity and large boost, either requires a lot of cylinders or very large cylinders. Simple logic tells us that more cylinders can equate to big capacity with smaller cylinder sizes than fewer cylinders can. By doubling the rows of cylinders (2 rows per bank rather than 1) you can increase the number of cylinders without a proportional increase in overall dimensions of the motor. That is exactly what VW has done.

I have to wonder if smaller capacity or fewer cylinders (V10 or V12) running boost could achieve the same result, why was it not done ages ago?
Yes very sound logic there I agree - 8 litres and 16 cylinders is a hell of a lot of engine to fit into such a relatively a small space, there is really no other way you could match that capacity or cylinder count without using an unusual format like they did.

So I guess it just comes down to whether Mr Armchair Engineer out there - if given an infinite budget - reckons they could build a lower capacity, higher boost engine that could last 100,000+km and produce enough torque down low etc to match the W16...

Plenty of 1000hp engines out there would fit, but would they last? I dunno, maybe I'll buy a 9ff, run it for 100,000k and update this thread in a couple of years...
Grobbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2010, 06:10 PM   #63
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grobbo
So I guess it just comes down to whether Mr Armchair Engineer out there - if given an infinite budget - reckons they could build a lower capacity, higher boost engine that could last 100,000+km and produce enough torque down low etc to match the W16...
Well for $1million, that's not far off an "infinate" budget. Not only do I think other people could match it, I think they could beat it. Sorry, but I don't think the Veyron is that impressive. If it was $200,000, i would think otherwise. Money aside, I would rather have a Ferrari California or Jaguar C-X75. Plus the Veyron is made to be well suited to the guy that likes to brag about his 10 radiators, 16 cylinders and 4 turbos.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2010, 06:29 PM   #64
Grobbo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
Well for $1million, that's not far off an "infinate" budget. Not only do I think other people could match it, I think they could beat it. Sorry, but I don't think the Veyron is that impressive. If it was $200,000, i would think otherwise. Money aside, I would rather have a Ferrari California or Jaguar C-X75. Plus the Veyron is made to be well suited to the guy that likes to brag about his 10 radiators, 16 cylinders and 4 turbos.
A mill doesn't go far these days - look at Coyote/Miami - the engine and car were already there, they just had to add a blower and they spent 40 mill...

Besides, $1million is just the rrp. VW makes a loss on each one sold at that price too so god knows how much each one actually costs them. The R&D on the thing was obviously huge too so I think 'infinite' is a lot more realistic than a puny million - ha ha.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:20 PM   #65
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower

The tyres are $30,000 a set and if I remember correctly just the indicator combination switch (a very nice billet aluminium) is around $10,000 to replace. The car is sold at a massive loss per unit, something to the tune of $1.5m per unit. There are 304 Veyrons, sold at $1m each that will total $304m, considering Ford spent $40m putting a blower onto a pre existing engine, $304m is a drop in the ocean compared to the expenditure that went into the Veyron. The value for VW comes form the publicity, reputation and the flow down of technology to other models as a result of the development that went into the Veyron, something like Honda spending millions on F1 racing. A good example of this is the motor that is being considered for applications such as future Bentley's. It is not only the entire engine that will be used, but some of the smaller components are a direct result of problem solving putting this engineering feat into production.

I am sorry but I do not understand anyone that can say it is only impressive if they could do this vehicle at $200k per unit. If the veyron should cost $200k per unit, why the hell are we spending $60k for a F6? To keep it relative we should be picking up a F6 for $10k.

Lets face it, just about every buyer of hypercars only does so because they like to brag about its top speed, number of cylinders, number of turbos and any other unique doodad that their car has fitted. The whole market is about bigger, better, faster and bragging rights down at the country club.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:21 PM   #66
TheZHLANE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

probably put a nasa rocket onto it or some ****
TheZHLANE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2010, 11:36 PM   #67
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Top 10 reasons why some AFF members would hate Veyron

1) It is not Ford
2) It has the same number of letters in its name as Holden
3) It is not a V8
4) It does not run on LPG, CNG, E85 or pixie dust
5) It is quicker than both FPV GT and TE50 T3
6) It does not have stripes, decals or a bonnet bulge
7) It has not won at Bathurst
8) It is not RWD
9) It does not have provision to tow a 2 tonne trailer up hill faster than a (insert other hated model here)
10) They cannot afford the left hand front wheel nut off one even on 1000 days interest free........
its an accomplishment.

But its ugly.
Its not a real Buggati.
Its a plastic German one, made by Germans
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2010, 08:12 AM   #68
CFOUR
The Destroyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
If I remember correctly just the indicator combination switch (a very nice billet aluminum) is around $10,000 to replace.
Magnisium actually.
Old 11-10-2010, 01:26 PM   #69
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

RB30 of course.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2010, 08:17 PM   #70
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I dislike the whole concept of the Veyron. It just seems “wrong” somehow.

A lot of it, including the engine, seemed to be mostly about the Germans proving that “they could.”

I realise that new supercars are never meant to be affordable to the hoi-polloi, but even so the Veyron just feels like it’s breaking some unwritten rules? Especially if you believe the rumours that even with the pricetag, VW is actually losing millions on each car.

Personally, I am far more impressed with vehicles like the Nobel, that can challenge supercars at a fraction of their cost and without the backing of billion dollar R&D.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2010, 01:00 PM   #71
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd say a W24. 2 V12s!!!!

Or maybe just a 4cylinder with a fart can and VTech. That **** is fast and sound superb.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2010, 01:16 PM   #72
Grobbo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz
I dislike the whole concept of the Veyron. It just seems “wrong” somehow.

A lot of it, including the engine, seemed to be mostly about the Germans proving that “they could.”

I realise that new supercars are never meant to be affordable to the hoi-polloi, but even so the Veyron just feels like it’s breaking some unwritten rules? Especially if you believe the rumours that even with the pricetag, VW is actually losing millions on each car.

Personally, I am far more impressed with vehicles like the Nobel, that can challenge supercars at a fraction of their cost and without the backing of billion dollar R&D.
Ahh yes, the Noble sounds more like my thing - and it's a V8 with twin turbs and a better power to weight than the Veyron:

Article here: http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evoc...oble_m600.html
Old 21-03-2013, 12:18 PM   #73
Grobbo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: If you built the Veyron, what engine configuration would you use?

Having watched and read a lot about the Koenigsegg Agera R and the Hennessey Venom GT lately it reminded me of this thread.... ....and how many people mocked the notion of getting big reliable HP out of a simple TT V8....
These two cars are now quicker than a Veyron, using blocks based on humble Ford and GM origins... See, a TT V8 is all you need! :-)

The Hennessey is much more to my taste than a Veyron - nice and light and relatively simple (in comparison)

Go the Ford GT gearbox too - apparently good for over 2000hp out of the box!

Previous rides:
R32 Skyline gtst - drift weapon
67 VC Val - Cruiser
A4 1.8t MTM 286 - Euro Evo
AU2 XR8 Ute - rumbly drift weapon.
BA2 Futura Wagon - boom box.
Suzuki Swift Sport - thrash me!
Ford Kuga 1.6T AWD - work car, hoping to replace it with a new weapon soon...
Old 21-03-2013, 12:21 PM   #74
XR6T0Y
Half brain dead already

Two 335's strapped together with two superchargers and two turbo's........

Running tuned at 191.3rwkw with 475nm Torque
Pacemaker PH4490 + Hiflo Pacemaker cat/catpipe + Xforce 2.5' catback into dual pipes after Diff.
FG Manifold + Herrod airbox + 20% underdrive +Hi flow thermostat + 26mm radiator and Weapon X coils!
Now rolling on staggered Matte black Lesnso D1R's
NOW MANUAL!
Shockwave Blue!
More to come

Now the proud owner of a '97 NL Fairlane

XR6T0Y is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 21-03-2013, 12:49 PM   #75
buggo
[BU66OS]

3.8 out of a VN with a cop chip and a Chev badge

BA XR8 Manual
buggo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 21-03-2013, 01:31 PM   #76
stevanford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grobbo View Post
Having watched and read a lot about the Koenigsegg Agera R and the Hennessey Venom GT lately it reminded me of this thread.... ....and how many people mocked the notion of getting big reliable HP out of a simple TT V8....
These two cars are now quicker than a Veyron, using blocks based on humble Ford and GM origins... See, a TT V8 is all you need! :-)

The Hennessey is much more to my taste than a Veyron - nice and light and relatively simple (in comparison)

Go the Ford GT gearbox too - apparently good for over 2000hp out of the box!
  1. Koenigsegg no longer use Ford based blocks in their cars.
  2. Koenigsegg use E85 fuel to make 1140hp. When using regular fuel, it makes less than 1000hp. Veyron and the Veyron supersport make 1001hp and 1200hp respectively on regular fuel.
  3. While Hennessey has made the power (credit to him), read up on experiences his previous customers have had. I don't want one after reading those stories.
Also have to remember that the first production Veyron was sold 8 years ago now. Imagine these cars with DI and if they were tuned for E85.

Last edited by stevanford; 21-03-2013 at 01:41 PM.
stevanford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2013, 02:02 PM   #77
Grobbo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevanford View Post
  1. Koenigsegg no longer use Ford based blocks in their cars.
  2. Koenigsegg use E85 fuel to make 1140hp. When using regular fuel, it makes less than 1000hp. Veyron and the Veyron supersport make 1001hp and 1200hp respectively on regular fuel.
  3. While Hennessey has made the power (credit to him), read up on experiences his previous customers have had. I don't want one after reading those stories.
Also have to remember that the first production Veyron was sold 8 years ago now. Imagine these cars with DI and if they were tuned for E85.
Fair points all. But then imagine if VAG just used a simple TT V8 with DI and E85... :-)

I still tend to agree with the UK press at the time, the W was more about marketing. VAG themselves have now dropped it in most models, and replaced it with... A TT V8!

No surprise of course that the new TTV8 makes the Bentley much lighter and fuel efficient, better to drive, sound better etc etc...

Previous rides:
R32 Skyline gtst - drift weapon
67 VC Val - Cruiser
A4 1.8t MTM 286 - Euro Evo
AU2 XR8 Ute - rumbly drift weapon.
BA2 Futura Wagon - boom box.
Suzuki Swift Sport - thrash me!
Ford Kuga 1.6T AWD - work car, hoping to replace it with a new weapon soon...
Old 21-03-2013, 02:52 PM   #78
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Linky

/end thread.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2013, 04:06 PM   #79
BadMax
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Four Eco-Boost's running e85...
BadMax is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2013, 06:16 PM   #80
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Tuned GT-R would mince the thing despite having 10 less cylinders (I think this has already been done). So two GTR motors should do nicely to power a Veyron
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2013, 08:31 PM   #81
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The reason for the engine is simple: you are producing 1000 horsepower, and reliably for long periods, not just over a quarter mile or quick sprint.

There is also the nasty fact of air pressure as speed increases. The horsepower and torque needed to push the air aside as you approach 400kph is simply staggering, and as your speed increases, the power needed rises exponentially.

And yes, it was mainly done "to prove they could"...they lose money on every car they build, but so what? I would bet Ford Australia doesn't sell enough GT Falcons like the R SPec to cover costs...they subsidise them with the "cheap stuff" they sell by the hundred.
Good on VW for having the balls to do it.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2013, 11:44 PM   #82
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

One of the questions is what are VW going to do for a follow up. Rumours of a lighter, cheaper, smaller capacity sub-Veyron have gone quiet. And the front engined sedan/hatch haven't been seen in public for a while.

There is an expensive production facility going to waste in Molsheim. The super-economy XL1 looks technically interesting and there is the rumoured Audi LM replica has to be made somewhere.

p.s. The 80's EB 110 SS used a 3.5 litre quad turbo V12 to produce 600bhp & 216mph. Tweaked versions weighed 1480kg, 860bhp & maybe 230mph.
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2013, 12:49 AM   #83
data_mine
GT-P With An Ego
Donating Member2

EB110 SS was '92

Ford Performance Club of ACT
data_mine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2013, 02:07 AM   #84
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Saturn 5 rocket.

Probably only one though, dont want to drop the clutch and end up on the moon.

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2013, 12:33 PM   #85
gassed250
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grobbo View Post
The key point I guess is 'reliably' it would have to be up to VW's high standards, so relatively lowly stressed.

you cant put VW and high standards in the same sentence it just wont work

VW has one of the worst quality control problems amongst manufactures
Old 22-03-2013, 01:28 PM   #86
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gassed250 View Post
you cant put VW and high standards in the same sentence it just wont work

VW has one of the worst quality control problems amongst manufactures
Really?

So is this sage statement based on wikipedia, another internet forum, facebook or your personal experiences with current era VW vehicles?
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2013, 01:50 PM   #87
gassed250
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

J.D. Power quality study

Last edited by gassed250; 22-03-2013 at 01:56 PM.
gassed250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2013, 02:27 PM   #88
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

And everything published on the internet is infallible.
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2013, 02:45 PM   #89
gassed250
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolver 45 View Post
And everything published on the internet is infallible.

like all information, what you take from it is purely up to you !
Old 22-03-2013, 06:10 PM   #90
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gassed250 View Post
J.D. Power quality study

Didn't see holden there?
No holdens on a list a reliable cars?
How could this be, they are always in the top 5 sellers.

You have a web study by one group on one market in one year.

If there was a web forum for Sigma drivers and at one time one of them showed themselves to be naive and narrow minded would that mean that all Sigma drivers were, all the time?
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post