Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-06-2016, 05:24 PM   #61
Dash_XR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Do we really have more "choice"?

All the cars I'd ever want to own have already been made and are getting cheaper by the day, if anything I'm spoiled for choice.

I hope they continue to pump out way more cheap junk then they need cause oversupply smashes the 2nd hand market.
Rapid Systems Intercooler & Battery Relocation - ID 1000 Injectors - Process West Surge Tank - Venom 100 Cell Bolt On Cat - XForce 3.5 inch Catback - Plazmaman 4 inch Turboside Intake - Crow HD Valve Springs - Glowshift Gauges (Oil temp, Oil Pressure, Boost, Volt) - Malwood Opt 5 - XR50 Interior - FG2 Limited Ed 19's - Nitto Invo's

Dash_XR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-06-2016, 07:52 PM   #62
Matty4
Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by drz250 View Post
Well actually many of the parts are from the Ford Ranger and have been modified to fit the Territory. Some parts are from the F250. It can't tow 5t, that was a typo. I meant to write 4.5t.

It is a great rig and has seen a lot of km's already. I usually don't tow more than 3.5t. The XDs had no engines/trans. The Patrol had engine/trans. On weighbridge the trailer total was 3.765t. I am engineered to carry 4t with a braked trailer and 4.5t if it's my engineered trailer which is dual axle and has 365mm hydraulic brakes on both axles.

The transmission has been modified with a different cooler. never had any problems.

Engine pulls strong no matter what. It will tow anything.
I'm genuinely skeptical too and will also apologise if proven wrong, but I'd like to see a photo of the engineering certificate (blank out personal info) and the mod plate listing the new approved capacities.

There are plenty of caravanners around who would love this if its true, as they could also use this engineers services to make a Prado legally tow over 2.5T

Last edited by Matty4; 09-06-2016 at 08:16 PM.
Matty4 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2016, 08:28 PM   #63
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
I was going to take some piccys of the rig to show you guys but honestly now just feeling like some people here are bullying me for no reason.
No bullying here, just a few comments from people including myself being skeptical of your claims to your vehicle & trailer engineered approved mods.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2016, 02:47 PM   #64
drz250

After seeing how a few others have presented their vehicles on the forum, I've decided to put together a build thread. This will be a good way to document the improvements to my Territory and show you guys the extent of the modifications.
drz250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 12-06-2016, 08:45 PM   #65
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And how many people these days want a "large RWD sedan"...?

There's a reason Falcons and Commodores aren't being made anymore...no one wants them.

Let me rephrase that...not "no one"...but only a tiny number of enthusiasts go mental over them, and even then it is mostly people who don't buy new ones anyway. They just like the idea of a Falcodore being available. They might buy a secondhand one in years to come, but not new.

And that's not how you run a car company...on feelings and catering to tiny sales figures to a few buyers. You survive on volume, not tiny niche markets.

People [i]do/i] have greater choice, in the way that they're not chained to heavily-protected local manufacturers making one or two types of vehicle and everyone had to try and deal with that. That's why people say "we used to see people towing big vans and horse floats and boats behind good old Aussie Falcons and Kingswoods"...yes, we did...because we didn't have a choice. Everyone uses four wheel drives and twin cabs now...because many years back we never had comfortable luxurious four wheel drives/twin cabs...fourbies were rough as guts and not really the sort of thing you wanted to live with day to day.
Now we have the choice, people who want to tow something reasonably regularly no longer feel they must trundle off and buy a Falcon/Commodore...there's way more interesting choices you can go with.

Same with small to middle sized vehicles...the range is stupidly big now, and if you can't find something specifically tailored to suit your families needs, you really aren't trying.

People aren't badge-blind anymore. They're willing to look around.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 12-06-2016, 09:23 PM   #66
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
we had a group of yr 9/10 girls tour the test lab last week. When I asked them what the best features of their parents' cars were they said colour, seats, touch screen.....

that's the market car companies are catering for.
I noticed this one after I could no longer "edit" my comment...

Very true. As I have said before, when we bought the G6E, I asked to see under the bonnet, and the salesman said that I was the first person in maybe three months who had even asked to look under there...most people only ask "technical" questions like auto/manual, how many cylinders (important for Queensland with our graduated rego), and servicing costs. And that was it. Maybe "petrol or diesel?" as well.
The staggeringly large majority of buyers don't honestly care anymore which end is doing the driving.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2016, 10:39 PM   #67
Qwerty321
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The reason why we don't have much choice in the near future is cause many of the cars offered are designed to just be manufactured in LHD. However the case for designing future generations to be built in both LHD and RHD is rapidly becoming more feasible. Many emerging markets like Malaysia, India, much of South East Asia and even South Africa drive on the left. Meaning as each year goes by, these markets get bigger the people get richer and marketing these cars in RHD to them has more and more potential. Also, GM and Ford will have till now tried to prop up Australian manufacturing, by making the Falcon and Commodore/Cruze they're only family sedan offerings (lets forget the Malibu - it was ****) in Oceania. Once local manufacturing closes there is no longer a need to protect these factories and so there is a case from bringing the big LHD sellers here in RHD form.

We probably wont see Caddilacs, Chevy SSes, Ford Tauruses, Fusions etc. being offered by Ford or GM/Holden in the next generation that replaces the aussie built series, but it's only inevitable that with growing demand in RHD markets and no longer needing to protect Elizabeth and Broadmeadows, that future generations get built in RHD too, and end up getting sent here for us to buy. We don't have much choice now, but we will later on.

"If in doubt, flat out" - Colin McRae
"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you"
"Cheap, fast and reliable. Pick Two"

Qwerty321 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2016, 09:57 PM   #68
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looking at old cars (as I do from time to time) i'm reminded of the great variety that was around in the 70's.
You could still get your frugal 4 cylinders, even some FWDs. But you could also get sportier versions, wagons, panel vans (remember the Gemini "Gyspy")
Toranas were available with anything from a piddling 4 to a stonking V8.
Fullsize Falcon Coupes, LWB luxury versions, 2~3 6 cylinder versions, 2~3 V8's.
Or if you wanted something a bit smaller (but more sophisticated) there were the mall-6 Japanese models.
And we still got interesting imports like the Celica, Z-cars, etc, and European cars were at least interesting.

Not suggesting that those cars weren't rubbish compared to what we get now, but simply that the variety was pretty good. And AFFORDABLE
Now its just seems that every maker is chasing a slice of the same market, and if you want something different it will cost you an arm and a leg.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-08-2016, 10:42 PM   #69
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
After seeing how a few others have presented their vehicles on the forum, I've decided to put together a build thread. This will be a good way to document the improvements to my Territory and show you guys the extent of the modifications.
Have you started the thread yet? I'd be interested to see it.
Old 06-08-2016, 10:49 PM   #70
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Crazy Dazz, going back to your OP, I'd go with you on that one.

Currently I'm looking to replace my Territory and it's doing my head in.
Despite so many more mid/small/large SUVs in the market, finding one with
a) full time AWD - not FWD, not a Haldex, not a decoupling transmission at idle
b) excellent ride/handling
c) reasonable power from petrol motor

is proving damn hard. Looks like Suby (an incomplete replacement) in the sub <50K range, BMW/RRS/Jag in the upper money bracket, spending a lot more for what essentially a petrol AWD Territory offers mechancially.
Sprintey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2016, 11:13 PM   #71
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
Crazy Dazz, going back to your OP, I'd go with you on that one.

Currently I'm looking to replace my Territory and it's doing my head in.
Despite so many more mid/small/large SUVs in the market, finding one with
a) full time AWD - not FWD, not a Haldex, not a decoupling transmission at idle
b) excellent ride/handling
c) reasonable power from petrol motor

is proving damn hard. Looks like Suby (an incomplete replacement) in the sub <50K range, BMW/RRS/Jag in the upper money bracket, spending a lot more for what essentially a petrol AWD Territory offers mechancially.
Good luck. For the price you get a terri the suv will be smaller, gutless, handle poorly.

As for choice there is choice if you want something other then a large rwd car. I mean they're not my cup of tea....but I prefer what the locals produce.

At the end of the day the vast majority dont care about cars. Plenty of people who think they know something about cars are clueless. Toyota is the no 1 seller in this country and you dont buy a toyota because you love driving (with the exception of an 86).
Old 07-08-2016, 12:45 AM   #72
5thFordWA

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

It is because of the lack of choice in the range of cars I find to be economical to purchase, very reliable, cruisy and comfortable on long trips, and able to tow a reasonable size caravan, that I have just bought a new Territory before they stop making the things, as there is not another comparable vehicle on the horizon. And it's petrol, so I will have a reasonable chance of getting any repairs done without breaking the bank when it is 10 years old. I am coming out of a BA wagon which has done a great job for me for the last 10 years.

I understand the reasons why the manufacturing is stopping, but that doesn't mean I agree they should let it happen. I think the country will suffer for it. I like the idea of Ford getting suppliers, like the Geelong based carbon fibre wheels, into global contracts to keep them in business. But what's the difference? In a few years the Chinese will match the production at a fraction of the price using underpaid labour, and get the contracts.

Anyway, the Territory will hopefully see me out so I won't have to worry about it. At least I can say I put my money where my mouth is. My next car will probably be an electric thing, possibly a Gopher !!!

Cheers.
2016 SZ Territory TX 4.0 Petrol (6th & last?)(Sadly, written off)
2004 WRX (Retirement Toy)
5thFordWA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-08-2016, 11:42 AM   #73
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well, if you want a tuff aussie built here vehicle with conventional drivelines your choice is going to be limited real soon.
If you want a tuff aussie vehicle that's been developed here for decades and is a vehicle that is easy to repair and get parts for without paying an arm and a leg for good luck with that.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2016, 12:53 PM   #74
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post

Sure, if you're looking for a juice-box, and the number of usb points is a big issue. But looking for such a car for my daughter has convinced me that they might as well all be made in the same factory, and simply come with different badges that you can mix and match.

I'm reminded of Ford's famous quip "any colour you want, as along as its black."
And I'm sure some people didn't think an FPV or HSV, Falcon or Commodore are worlds apart either. Interchangeable badge and all...all dead because nobody wants them anymore.

Take off the blinkers mate.

What did you buy your daughter, a new Falcon or Commodore??

Or did you buy a "juice box" as you call it and just expect everyone else buy a Falcon or commodore?

Last edited by Stefan; 07-08-2016 at 12:58 PM.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2016, 02:02 PM   #75
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Plenty of choices. Faceless no name white goods. Or fix up rusty bombs. Can't see the problem.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post