Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-10-2010, 03:57 PM   #61
Mad_Aussie
what-tut-tut-tut

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
ffs... the OP is only after a second get around car....... so in the rating of cars scheme my $1000 POS laser with its power steering, heater, air con, intermittent wipers, cheap rego and no one wants to steal it makes my XA GT look like an awfull car........ LLoLL......
Of course your laser would make the GT look like an awful car, Lasers are awesome! :-P

The thing is, that there are plenty of cheap cars out there that are better and much more fun than a magna.

r31 skyline
toyota cressida
ke70 corolla
ae71 corolla
st141 corona
jzz20 soarer

just to make a quick shortlist. All are rwd, all are fairly well set up, all will do a skid, and all will be cheap to run.
Oh, and being able to change a motor for $400 isn't exactly what i'd call a selling point when looking for a second car, lol! But if that concerns you, a rb30e will cost all of $100 for a second hand rebuilt one, so that covers that point :-P
Mad_Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2010, 05:35 PM   #62
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The thing is, that there are plenty of cheap cars out there that are better and much more fun than a magna.

r31 skyline
toyota cressida
ke70 corolla
ae71 corolla
st141 corona
jzz20 soarer

just to make a quick shortlist. All are rwd, all are fairly well set up, all will do a skid, and all will be cheap to run.
Oh, and being able to change a motor for $400 isn't exactly what i'd call a selling point when looking for a second car, lol! But if that concerns you, a rb30e will cost all of $100 for a second hand rebuilt one, so that covers that point :-P

Cars that you are talking about are 20+ years old and don't compare with magna that gen 3 which was made from 1997 to 2003.
We are talking about economical daily drivers ,cheap to buy,insure have airbags ,abs,spacius , reliable ,don't attract attention. All those things are missing in your suggested list. But Cressida can do skids Corona 141 you really have no idea mate
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2010, 06:02 PM   #63
Mad_Aussie
what-tut-tut-tut

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoDog68
But Cressida can do skids Corona 141 you really have no idea mate
You seriously suggesting a corona won't rip a skid??

Didn't catch the fact he's after airbags etc.
But imo that can easily be solved with a four-point harness and a bucket seat ;)

I know it's about personal opinion and so forth, but I can't see how a povvo-pack 90's magna would be better than a luxury cressida from the 80's.
But meh, obviously a car that loses its value quicker than Malaysian cars half its age must be a pretty good buy.
Old 14-10-2010, 06:09 PM   #64
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ive driven a lot of gen 3 Magnas over the years and frankly I think the best second-hand car on the market is the Magna, you wont get better all-round value for your buck. Look for the Advance model: Dual airbags, cruise, ABS but still looks like a base model so they go cheap - the tiny premium you pay over an Executive on the second-hand market is worth it. A Verada Xi would be a nice bit of kit with leather and sunroof.

Build quality is great, they seem to last and last and parts are plentiful. They also have a feel to them which makes them drive a lot newer than they are. I have driven 1998 Advance one with 240,000km on it and they are buttery smooth, quiet with no squeaks or rattles. You honestly would be stunned to think you are driving a car worth about $2500. Much better vehicle than the Falcon or Commodore from that era from a quality perspective (I own a AUII which is still a good car).

The wagon is a really good size too, a good compromise between the smaller Camry and the gigantic Falcon and Commodore wagons from that period.

As great as the 3.5 is, the 3.0 is still an honest performer. Not as smooth or as punchy as a Camry V6, but is simple and reliable and still has plenty of power and I think they sound good too. They drive and handle well, but the steering is a bit light and turning circle is big. Brakes are great on them and seem to last a while (pads and rotors). Fuel economy is anywhere from 15 to 25% better than a Falcon in city driving and about 5 to 15% on the highway.

Gripes:
As I said steering is a little light,
high-beam switch is a pull back switch not a push-forward switch like most other cars, radio controls are a tad small
rear seat leg room
turning circle
lack of equipment on Executive
one piece folding rear seat on wagon instead of 60/40

Pros.
Build quality
reliability
Equipment level on Advance and above
auto trans adaptive shift with grade control (it actually works)
Economy
Power
brakes
paint quality
quietness
comfort
price
dust sealing

A fantastic car

Last edited by Brazen; 14-10-2010 at 06:16 PM.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2010, 06:24 PM   #65
MagnaVRX
Starter Motor

I had a 03 TL VRX, manual. Stock I got 14.8's out of it, added paccy ran 14.4's consistantly at willowbank.

Had koni's all round, I put lowered springs on it to get rid off the 4x4 wheel arch gaps.

On the highway I used to average 6.5-7lt per hundred and around town I couldnt get it over 10lt when driving with the traffic.

I had the rear window seal replaced under warrenty. No other probs apart from an engine rebuild due to a supercharger.

It's till in the family and the drivetrain is coping with over 350hp at the wheels, original CV's have been copping that for over 70k now with the supercharger.
MagnaVRX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 14-10-2010, 06:35 PM   #66
Mad_Aussie
what-tut-tut-tut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnaVRX
I had a 03 TL VRX, manual. Stock I got 14.8's out of it, added paccy ran 14.4's consistantly at willowbank.
Stock r31 manual will do a 14.1 if you do it right, and it's 15 years older will a smaller engine
Granted you need to remove pretty much all the interior to do it lol
Old 14-10-2010, 06:39 PM   #67
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Aussie
You seriously suggesting a corona won't rip a skid??

Didn't catch the fact he's after airbags etc.
But imo that can easily be solved with a four-point harness and a bucket seat ;)

I know it's about personal opinion and so forth, but I can't see how a povvo-pack 90's magna would be better than a luxury cressida from the 80's.
But meh, obviously a car that loses its value quicker than Malaysian cars half its age must be a pretty good buy.

I was more alluding to the fact that ability to "rip skids " is not relevant for daily driver. If luxury is what you are after you could have a KJ XI Verada.

Cressidas I do know and had pleasure of having one in the family - nice car ,went through few head gaskets and is generally worn out by now. Could be considered for 2JZ conversion but that is a street car and not a daily driver.

Magna and Mitsu of Oz history is a curious one -they were producing high quality cars but could not survive. Camry buyers were buying Camrys and Commodore and Falcon buyers are in their separate (RWD) universe.
Most independent observers agree that Mitsubishi local product was of high quality and their failure in the market was due to perceptions rather than any issues with a car.
Which in turn makes them a great used buy and perfect daily driver car.
Old 14-10-2010, 06:43 PM   #68
Mad_Aussie
what-tut-tut-tut

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoDog68
I was more alluding to the fact that ability to "rip skids " is not relevant for daily driver.
Ppft then sir, we are clearly not cut from the same dough.
Old 14-10-2010, 06:44 PM   #69
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Stock r31 manual will do a 14.1 if you do it right, and it's 15 years older will a smaller engine
I owned manual R31 Skyline Siluette and there is no way it would drop into 15's let alone 14's.
Manual Magna 3.5 is a much much quicker car.
Old 14-10-2010, 06:45 PM   #70
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ppft then sir, we are clearly not cut from the same dough.

Finally we agree on something
Old 14-10-2010, 06:54 PM   #71
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
and the price of eggs in regards to a Magna daily driver is... LLoLL......
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2010, 08:39 PM   #72
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wow, such controversy I've started with this thread.

Back to my original post, I'm after a cheap under 5k to and from car with air bags and ABS, hence the idea of a Magna which fits the bill.
I'm past the boy racer/drifter stage, thats why I also have an XC 351 for the fun times.

I appreciate all the comments and will look at the positives and negatives.

Some people have had some really bad experiences with Magnas and say don't buy one, but I have heard some people say never buy a Ford too (crazy I know).

The general consensus seems to be they're a pretty good car and will give me bang for my buck too.

I have been scared off an auto though so will try for a manual 3.5litre.
Old 14-10-2010, 09:33 PM   #73
smoke
the only way is sideways

i never used to rate magna's until i drove dads. it was a TJ executive, 3.5L auto.
it used to go hard.
100% stock standard with 200,000km it ran a 15.3 at willowbank.
it shaped plenty of cars on the streets too. I later bought it off him and made some money off it, as he was going to trade it in and get heaps less.

Common problems that mine had were the engine mount on drivers side (listen for shaky idle and a bit of a clunk when on/off the throttle). buy a new one from mitsubishi if this is the case, as they were cheaper than aftermarket when I hunted around.
Also, the typical oil cap leak ($12 from mitsubishi).
They are thirsty if your right foot is heavy, but otherwise just as good as a commo/falc.
Old 14-10-2010, 09:43 PM   #74
smoke
the only way is sideways

Quote:
100% stock unmodified it will not run a 14, and if it does it will be a high 14.
maybe if you throw an exhaust and some diff gears in it.
or as you said, remove interior.

for a daily reliable family commuter for your mrs, why would you want any of that where a <10 year old magna can be had for less than 5k and is reliable, has some sort of comfort, isnt dated in comparison, etc.
Old 15-10-2010, 10:57 AM   #75
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mad_aussie you need to give it a break, everyone has an opinion, you have stated yours now move on.

For others, here is a review that Autospeed did of the VRX magna when it was released in 2000 - quite favorable:

http://autospeed.com/cms/title_Mitsu...0/article.html
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2010, 01:59 PM   #76
DanWA
Reformed Ford Lover

what is the big urge for a magna?

fwd cars are for gay people and wives

if i were you i would be looking for a fairmont on gas, luxury and cheap to run and well within magna price range

i am disgusted by all the pro magna talk on a ford forum!

1976 LX Torana LS1
1998 AU1 6cyl Auto Burnout Car
1996 EF2 6cyl Manual Daily/Track Car
DanWA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2010, 06:18 PM   #77
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanWA

if i were you i would be looking for a fairmont on gas, luxury and cheap to run and well within magna price range

Let's recap for you
Bloke (OP) asked if Magna was a good daily driver and some people offered their opinions. It happens to be a great daily driver.
We all know this is a Ford forum but that does Not mean you can only appreciate all sorts of cars for what they are
Old 16-10-2010, 12:48 AM   #78
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanWA

So if I drove a 1967 front wheel drive Cadillac Eldorado with a 429 V8 that would be gay? I think not, that would be pretty damned cool. But thanks for your informed input.
Old 30-12-2014, 08:56 PM   #79
spen23
Starter Motor

Default Re: Advice on buying a Magna please.

I have a 2002 tj magna executive its a good car other then when it rain my passenger foot well gets flooded and with 297 on the clock I'm only getting 400ks a tank no matter what fuel I use and surgestions for the problems
spen23 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2014, 09:12 PM   #80
Morexbs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by spen23 View Post
I have a 2002 tj magna executive its a good car other then when it rain my passenger foot well gets flooded and with 297 on the clock I'm only getting 400ks a tank no matter what fuel I use and surgestions for the problems
Send it off to the wreckers and buy something newer.
Old 30-12-2014, 09:22 PM   #81
K_Man
Whoa, this is heavy!

+1 for a Magna as a cheap run around.

We have had a KF Verada, got to 220,000, traded it in on a TL wagon which we got rid of for something bigger (growing family).

The Verada was a fantastic car, all the bells and whistles you would want, admittedly the transmission was starting to flare on upshifts, but we bought it off my brother in law who drives like he's going for pole. We still got 70,000kms out of it though.

The TL was a very smooth ride, never had a drama, everything worked as it should of when we got rid of it at 190,000.

Very true about what people have said, those that bash them havent owned one, the 3.5 is a ripper, and unless you are channeling your inner Brockie, they really aren't that bad a steer in the wet. Dont be too afraid of autos, just look for one that has been looked after and keep looking after it. Mate's brother got to 300,000 in his TH with no dramas. Definitely look at Veradas too, a lot of car for not a lot of $$$.
Old 30-12-2014, 09:41 PM   #82
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee View Post
Yeah I know a Magna so don't start on me.

I do have a 351 XC, but as a daily driver I want a car I can drive without watching the fuel gauge.

I have seen late 90's up to 2002 Magnas for about 4-5 grand, dual air bags, ABS, cruise, A/C with a 3.5 V6.

I have looked at Mazdas, Toyotas but for value my research is leading me towards a Magna because I want the safety features and want to keep it under 5K.

So does anyone have some tips on how bad/good a particular year is? Is the 3 litre better/worse than the 3.5, manual/auto which is more reliable, I would prefer an auto.

Cheers,JD
Keep away from the TE and TF models as they had many problems with their automatic transmissions (1996-1998)

TH is OK and is the first model which was 100% fitted with 6 cylinder engine (1999)

TJ is my pick especially the Ralliart and AWD models (2000-2003)

TL is the first of the bug-eyed models which proved very unpopular (2004)

TW is the last Magna model and again proved unpopular (2005)

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2014, 10:20 PM   #83
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by spen23 View Post
At those sort of KMs it could be anything. I'd be replacing the oxygen sensor first. Injectors probably need a good clean out. Transmission could be tired and it depends on your driving style too.

As for the water you need to have a look under the dash and see where its coming from. Get someone to spray a hose over the outside.
Just make sure its not coolant that's coming from your heater. Its a common issue when these things get old. It can fry the computer.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2014, 10:26 PM   #84
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

I had a tj with vrx kit and wheels.
Sold it to get the ute.
The passenger foot well gets wet because of the gromet behind the passenger kick panel isn't sealed or the heater has shat itself
I used to park mine on a slight angle.
Lower on the drivers side, when it rained water runs off the windscreen to the passenger side and runs inside the a pillar I think.
There's a big rubber cover over a hole under the kick panel.
Mins wasn't sealed due to someone running new speaker wire thru it and not sealing it properly.
I bought some of that silver tape with the sticky black tar on the back of it and covered the hole with plenty of it after taking the gromet off.
Its a fairly big hole.
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2014, 10:28 PM   #85
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Crikey, this thread is old enough to vote!
I was after a small wagon when I had to hand back my FG work ute for my gardening and maintenance, looked at I30, could go no cheaper than 11k, lancer wagon, last shape were approaching 10k for something reasonably tidy.
Got a mint TJ S2 magna Wagon full serv history,135k factory alloys, 4 new tyres, tow bar, cargo barrier. Dealer had the rear rocker gasket replaced as part of the deal as it was leaking, did the water pump, timing belt and platinum plugs while he as at it, came to 5k all up. ABSOLUTELY sensational to drive.
I had a TH Exec sedan for 7 years and covered 150k in it spending precisely nothing on it other than regular services tyres and brakes. Highly recommended.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 30-12-2014, 10:34 PM   #86
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.performanceforums.com/for...1300-3-5-Magna
Old 30-12-2014, 10:38 PM   #87
K_Man
Whoa, this is heavy!

Didn't even notice the date of the thread hahaha!
Old 31-12-2014, 07:13 AM   #88
damo76
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We have had 2 magnas, 1 99 vrx and the other was a 2000 executive. Either car never had any issues apart from a cold start rattle, never found out what it was but i presume it was a magna thing.
Just make sure you change timing belt and spark plugs and should be good.
They were popular for a reason, hard to beat.
damo76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2014, 07:25 AM   #89
damo76
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Gees it's 3:30am can't sleep stupid meds, i didn't even see the age of this thread either.
damo76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2014, 01:11 PM   #90
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoDog68 View Post
Has anyone done this with a falcon? Funny way of lowering 1/4 mile times by drastic weight reduction.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post