Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 11-01-2012, 11:26 AM   #721
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 
Thumbs up Re: Who works in the mines and what doing

Woohoo day off .. lightening hit a moxy truck yesterday so as a safety precaution the site is shutdown for 24 hours and my ears are stilling ringing...

I will compile a page explaining personally what i am going through latey while living up here as per what the OP asked originally.

It is NOT all beer and skittles folks , i will have a think about it and post a bit later... have a good day
Daz
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2012, 12:39 PM   #722
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Default Re: Who works in the mines and what doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6menace
Woohoo day off .. lightening hit a moxy truck yesterday so as a safety precaution the site is shutdown for 24 hours and my ears are stilling ringing...

I will compile a page explaining personally what i am going through latey while living up here as per what the OP asked originally.

It is NOT all beer and skittles folks , i will have a think about it and post a bit later... have a good day
Daz
Too true bout the beer, they shut the hub at 10PM damn it!

I knocked off yesterday when that storm came through, it was brief but damn, horizontal rain and some nice lightning like you said.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2012, 12:52 PM   #723
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

I was wearing the white FPV hat with the Summernats shirt Allen ...
Old 11-01-2012, 01:03 PM   #724
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Im 5/2 at the moment...going on a road trip to Airlie sat but might have a quiet couple friday night.

I sometimes wear my Trippika XA GT or AU T3 shirts..hehe
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 11-01-2012, 01:15 PM   #725
Road Games

I'm off to Coppabella pub tonight for a T-bone .. yummy ...

How noisy are these rooms ? Creaking and groaning of the roof and walls from the sun and heat ... i'd hate to be on night shift !!

Last edited by Road Games; 11-01-2012 at 01:45 PM.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:04 PM   #726
Stazza_Brendan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The joys of donga's. Im glad i got concrete room. Barely hear any outside noise.
ZF - Optioned interior - Hardlid - Rapidsystems V4.5 kit - GTX3576R - Crow Cams Valve springs - 1000cc KPM injectors - 20" MC Racing Wheels - DashDaq/Cobalt Gauges - 4in dump/3.5in exhaust system - Shockworks Coilovers - 30mm Swaybar - Shockworks 4pot 355mm front brakes - GT R-spec rear brakes
CPV Tuned to 340rwkw
Stazza_Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2012, 06:29 AM   #727
Road Games

Now i'm jealous... report tonight guys, honest...
Old 18-01-2012, 09:32 PM   #728
Road Games

Ok ok ok i just don't feel like typing anymore ....

Sorry i'm late team but i thought i would break this into 3 sections ?

The GOOD The BAD and The just BEARABLE...

The GOOD.

*MONEY* without question , plus time alone to get ya away from the missus and all the problems you may have...

The BAD.

4am wake up , eating with the same people you work with and catch the bus with ...
Too much time to think ...

The just BEARABLE.

The FOOD................. people who will not shut up on the bus or at crib time or at the HUB or underwater !

I am a different person now , many sleepless nights and memories of day's gone bye...

Be prepared guys and gals if you want to embark on this journey..

I will type a daily diary at some point in simple terms NOT site specific so you know what you are in for from INDUCTIONS to your First pay $$$$ ...

Peace out ... Daz..x..
Old 18-01-2012, 09:46 PM   #729
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Sounds interesting Mate, I for one will look forward to having a read.

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2012, 12:21 PM   #730
Road Games

http://www.screened.com.au/

Even if you have NO experience the info on how to get experience can be e-mailed to you if you are keen to learn and listen...

There is a definate shortage of competant operators up here !
Old 26-01-2012, 01:16 PM   #731
Road Games

Thumbs up Re: Who works in the mines and what doing

I have thought a lot about typing this , the last 3 goes i had got deleted by refreshing the page on my slow internet connection so here we go again?

Here is a personal experience of a day at the MAC camp through my eyes , please understand this is my personal view only.

Others may adjust just fine to this lifestyle ?

4am: Wake up time, turn on the lights/shower/ brush teeth and get dressed..

4.30am: Head to the mess, walk through the cigarette smoke of everyone standing outside the front doors,swipe in and go select what i want for breakfast and lunch.

4.45am: I go sit by myself but that doesn't last for long ..Probably overhearing a dozen people bitching about the job now while trying to drink my coffee.

5am: Head to the rotunda where everyone is standing around smoking and undertake a breath test, this happens every morning before i get on the bus and as soon as we get to site and swipe in...

5.10am: Hop on the bus and head straight for the back and hope no-one sits next to me.. start panicking about doing a good job today as many others want to jump on my machine.

6.00am: Arrive at Daunia and proceed to swipe in with my ID tag if i pull a red marble out of the bag i will be drug tested and then go make a coffee in the cribroom.
I Try to stay away from all the back stabbing that seems to be a way of life for these people.

6.05am: We have a pre-start safety meeting and discuss the task ahead and any changes/dangers..

*Now i go do my job, fill out start cards /have smoko/have lunch/ fill in my timesheets and any incident reports and maybe we even had a toolbox meeting today*

4.15pm: Swipe out and head for the bus where everybody is standing around smoking.

As usual i am the last one to park up and they are probably talking about me sucking up to the boss ?

Maybe thats why i am driving the BIGGEST machine on site and they are holding the lollipop sign out in the stinking sun all day ??

4.25pm: I get on the bus, it stinks and the 60 other blokes that have been sweating all day don't help things either...

5pm: Arrive back at MAC Camp, walk straight to the mess through the smokers and pack tomorrows lunch.
I don't eat tea anymore as i am trying to lose weight, plus the variety is great but it ain't home cooking!

I head through the security door to the HUB and have a cold beer... or two usually by myself ...

6.30pm: I walk back to my room with a 6 pack it's still 30+ degrees, walk past my neighbours smoking out front of their units (i seriously hate these people) they talk all night (well till 10pm anyway) and i go to bed at 8!!

7pm: Still Resisting the urge to punch the crap out of these ignorant bunch and believe me i am more than capable, but i would be removed from camp if i did so and would probably lose my job soon there after...

7.30pm: I Skype my girl on the Gold Coast and hope her talking drowns out the whinging of the bunch outside and the sound of their empty bottles and cans hitting the bin .

8.30pm: I leave my media player on my pc going so my music will put me to sleep, who am i kidding i will be up at 12/1.30/2.15 and probably 3 something as well thanks to the aircon that shakes the walls and the fridge that sounds like it is possessed.

9pm: I am probably asleep by now dreaming about what i am missing out on back home, craving a relaxing bath, a cuddle and someone who will actually listen to my complaints for a change.

I will be concerned over how long the project will last, how long till i fly home again, whether i am going to get lung cancer from these ignorant smokers and whether that brunette from Goldings actually meant anything when she smiled at me at breakfast?

If it rains, i will be soaking wet walking to the bus and then the aircon will give me hypothermia, oh well now i am whinging lol...

Thanks for reading, if you don't have an issue with smoking , ignorant people, stinky/bumpy/repetitive bus travel, getting up at 4am in the dark,seeing the same faces 14hrs a day, getting jsa's and sop's jammed down your throat and constant inductions, flying in and out, not being able to get in a car and take a drive somewhere/anywhere... you will probably like it up here...

In 6 weeks i have already saved $16000 so there are some obvious benefits to the isolation... but this is not a long term plan for me anymore...

My relationship with Chrissie is more important than just making money ..

peace out Daz.

Last edited by Road Games; 26-01-2012 at 01:25 PM. Reason: swear filter lol
Old 26-01-2012, 04:01 PM   #732
B&D Racing
Banned

Quote:
I have thought a lot about typing this , the last 3 goes i had got deleted by refreshing the page on my slow internet connection so here we go again?

Here is a personal experience of a day at the MAC camp through my eyes , please understand this is my personal view only.

4.30am: Head to the mess, walk through the cigarette smoke of everyone standing outside the front doors,swipe in and go select what i want for breakfast and lunch.

4.45am: I go sit by myself but that doesn't last for long ..Probably overhearing a dozen people bitching about the job now while trying to drink my coffee.

5am: Head to the rotunda where everyone is standing around smoking and undertake a breath test, this happens every morning before i get on the bus and as soon as we get to site and swipe in...

5.10am: Hop on the bus and head straight for the back and hope no-one sits next to me.. start panicking about doing a good job today as many others want to jump on my machine.

6.00am: Arrive at Daunia and proceed to swipe in with my ID tag if i pull a red marble out of the bag i will be drug tested and then go make a coffee in the cribroom.
I Try to stay away from all the back stabbing that seems to be a way of life for these people.

6.05am: We have a pre-start safety meeting and discuss the task ahead and any changes/dangers..

*Now i go do my job, fill out start cards /have smoko/have lunch/ fill in my timesheets and any incident reports and maybe we even had a toolbox meeting today*

4.15pm: Swipe out and head for the bus where everybody is standing around smoking.

As usual i am the last one to park up and they are probably talking about me sucking up to the boss ?

Maybe thats why i am driving the BIGGEST machine on site and they are holding the lollipop sign out in the stinking sun all day ??

4.25pm: I get on the bus, it stinks and the 60 other blokes that have been sweating all day don't help things either...

5pm: Arrive back at MAC Camp, walk straight to the mess through the smokers and pack tomorrows lunch.
I don't eat tea anymore as i am trying to lose weight, plus the variety is great but it ain't home cooking!

I head through the security door to the HUB and have a cold beer... or two usually by myself ...

6.30pm: I walk back to my room with a 6 pack it's still 30+ degrees, walk past my neighbours smoking out front of their units (i seriously hate these people) they talk all night (well till 10pm anyway) and i go to bed at 8!!

7pm: Still Resisting the urge to punch the crap out of these ignorant bunch and believe me i am more than capable, but i would be removed from camp if i did so and would probably lose my job soon there after...

7.30pm: I Skype my girl on the Gold Coast and hope her talking drowns out the whinging of the bunch outside and the sound of their empty bottles and cans hitting the bin .

8.30pm: I leave my media player on my pc going so my music will put me to sleep, who am i kidding i will be up at 12/1.30/2.15 and probably 3 something as well thanks to the aircon that shakes the walls and the fridge that sounds like it is possessed.

9pm: I am probably asleep by now dreaming about what i am missing out on back home, craving a relaxing bath, a cuddle and someone who will actually listen to my complaints for a change.

I will be concerned over how long the project will last, how long till i fly home again, whether i am going to get lung cancer from these ignorant smokers and whether that brunette from Goldings actually meant anything when she smiled at me at breakfast?

If it rains, i will be soaking wet walking to the bus and then the aircon will give me hypothermia, oh well now i am whinging lol...

Thanks for reading, if you don't have an issue with smoking , ignorant people, stinky/bumpy/repetitive bus travel, getting up at 4am in the dark,seeing the same faces 14hrs a day, getting jsa's and sop's jammed down your throat and constant inductions, flying in and out, not being able to get in a car and take a drive somewhere/anywhere... you will probably like it up here...

In 6 weeks i have already saved $16000 so there are some obvious benefits to the isolation... but this is not a long term plan for me anymore...

peace out Daz.
Agree..money is not everything..but $16,000 in 6 weeks... - by the way... definitely your shout when we catch up!
B&D Racing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2012, 04:56 PM   #733
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

peace out Daz.
you should really try and get along with people..
instead of wiping them off as stinking.. smelly.. drunk smokers that want to sit next to you...
why are you different and deserve better.. theyre all in the same boat as you..
easiest way to go stir crazy in camp is to lock yourself away and not socialise..
try it im sure they wont bite... loosen up a bit.. may find the time goes easier...
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2012, 05:04 PM   #734
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

n yea just for the record i've done a few of these eat.. sleep.. drink.. 24/7 same people in your face camps..
you bounce off them and bounce with them.. through good and bad times...
see them more than your own family..
friends for life i've made in all corners of the country...
Old 26-01-2012, 05:10 PM   #735
Road Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj777
Agree..money is not everything..but $16,000 in 6 weeks... - by the way... definitely your shout when we catch up!
You got it Brent
Old 26-01-2012, 05:22 PM   #736
meatbag

For a non smoker, the smoking can get a bit much. All the pubs are set up outside so everyone can smoke, you can't get away from it if you're trying o be social.

However, as pottery beige hinted at, these people are the ones you are going to spend more time with than any of your family. At some point you just need to keep the piece and try to get along.

I get my moments where you just want to be alone, the only thing you can really do is head to your room after work and watch telly. Sadly, some crews are just plain shithouse. You'll get harrassed if you're not at the pub everynight, If you do go, they will tell the same stories day in day out, mostly full of **** or just plain uninteresting.

The thing that ****** me off the most is you make some really good friends, but once they leave, you can never catch up with them again. I'm working away, they work away, others move back interstate. There's only one friend I can catch up on a regular basis that I've made on site but he is 2hrs drive away so it doesn't happen as often as I'd like.
meatbag is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2012, 05:30 PM   #737
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Ah yeah while there are times I wish I was home (ive been on 10 weeks straight by the end of it...doing 5/2) its really not that bad. Im new, and a student so that makes it harder, but Ive made heaps of mates with the miners.

Actually, they are the first ones I made an effort with, being an engineer there can be the us vs them thing...but its not bad once you actually work with them.

Ive had a bit of a taste, and I reckon if my family was up here so I could go home on weekends then it would be much easier to handle.

The accommodation is good for what it is, the food is free so it aint that bad. Sure its the same stuff over and over but I dont have to cook or clean so that makes up for it.

Some days are crap, some days are fun, but you get that with every job.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 26-01-2012, 05:32 PM   #738
Road Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
instead of wiping them off as stinking.. smelly.. drunk smokers that want to sit next to you...
easiest way to go stir crazy in camp is to lock yourself away and not socialise..
try it im sure they wont bite... loosen up a bit.. may find the time goes easier...
You don't read so good do you Mitch?

"Here is a personal experience of a day at the MAC camp through my eyes , please understand this is my personal view only.

Others may adjust just fine to this lifestyle ?"

Old 26-01-2012, 05:38 PM   #739
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Ah yeah while there are times I wish I was home (ive been on 10 weeks straight by the end of it...doing 5/2) its really not that bad. Im new, and a student so that makes it harder, but Ive made heaps of mates with the miners.

Actually, they are the first ones I made an effort with, being an engineer there can be the us vs them thing...but its not bad once you actually work with them.

Ive had a bit of a taste, and I reckon if my family was up here so I could go home on weekends then it would be much easier to handle.

The accommodation is good for what it is, the food is free so it aint that bad. Sure its the same stuff over and over but I dont have to cook or clean so that makes up for it.

Some days are crap, some days are fun, but you get that with every job.
youve nailed it there Al.. goodstuff...
Old 26-01-2012, 05:49 PM   #740
Road Games

I didn't mind it when i was in my early 20's either Allen .. are you still in the Santa units?

I'm up the top in Brangus...
Old 26-01-2012, 05:54 PM   #741
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Mate Im 29 and have a wifey and two kids at home...I miss them very much but Im doing it for them aswell. Yes mate Im still Santa, where is Brangus?

Miners at my place get 7/7..Id love that but its not available for staffies/engineers unfortunately. In saying that most people knock off early on fridays..like lunch time...LOL..and every second friday is a RDO.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 26-01-2012, 05:59 PM   #742
Road Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Mate Im 29 and have a wifey and two kids at home...I miss them very much but Im doing it for them aswell. Yes mate Im still Santa, where is Brangus?

Miners at my place get 7/7..Id love that but its not available for staffies/engineers unfortunately. In saying that most people knock off early on fridays..like lunch time...LOL..and every second friday is a RDO.
First lot up the hill opposite Droughtmaster when you walk out of the Hub..

Most of Bechtel do a 10/4 roster and they live in Mackay...

You are obviously working at Carborough Downs?
Old 26-01-2012, 06:11 PM   #743
I reckon
Banned

how do you guys go without a shag for 7 days? or do they have fly in skanks?
I reckon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2012, 06:16 PM   #744
Road Games

I do 21 straight on normal Crew 3 roster but this time around it's 5 weeks on then 1 off .

What happens at camp stays at camp !
Old 26-01-2012, 06:24 PM   #745
I reckon
Banned

Quote:
I do 21 straight on normal Crew 3 roster but this time around it's 5 weeks on then 1 off .

What happens at camp stays at camp !
dam you must be wearing the skin off it lmfao!! i take it your "girlfriend" doesnt read this place lol
Old 26-01-2012, 06:31 PM   #746
I reckon
Banned

dam long hours your better off in jail with weekend detention.

free food, you get paid.....not much but you dont have to work lol.

and you get to go home on weekends.

and you probably get sex wether you like it or not!
Old 26-01-2012, 06:43 PM   #747
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You don't read so good do you Mitch?

"Here is a personal experience of a day at the MAC camp through my eyes , please understand this is my personal view only.

Others may adjust just fine to this lifestyle ?"

FIFO buddy...

Fit In or ******** Off.....
Old 26-01-2012, 07:15 PM   #748
XDV800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Daz, I gotta agree with this mate. You really seem to be developing a jaded outlook on the place, and that will only serve to make the days drag on longer.

I too reckon it is a struggle too get along with some of the knob jockeys out there, but there are decent blokes to hang with occasionally, so youmake the most of that.

I have an anxiety disorder and central hearing loss which makes interacting with more than 1 person at a time difficult for me, so i can relate somewhat to it not being a desirable place to be.
I'm flying low and sussing out who is worth even associating with in the 1st place mate, trying to give anyone a chance at first, and just filtering out the good from the bad.
The smoking thing is pretty bad , i'd like to see it more controlled, or outlawed further, and thats coming from a smoker!

I reckon this will make ya rain day better Daz, no more BAM BAM...
XDV800 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2012, 07:56 PM   #749
Road Games

Yeah Rivers wanted me to sign a piece of paper to support Virginia's claim but i didn't hear the convo so i wanted no part of it !

For what it's worth, i don't dog on people and if i have a problem i go face to face with them to sort it out having said that i am glad Bam Bam is goooooooooone.. it will be much quieter in the mess/bus/gym/hub/crib room now..
At the moment i prefer to bite my tongue and let the cards fall where they may , glad you are here Jason you are the only one i have really clicked with ..even tho' you are a smoker
Old 26-01-2012, 08:00 PM   #750
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

What are people like over there? Can you strike up a conversation with a random person and not get your head punched in?

I try to socialise in my workplace/make people laugh and everyone is happy to talk to me or listen to a joke.

We mainly hear about jobs like dump truck drivers, people on the drills and their offsiders, what other jobs are there in a mine?
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post