Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 07-04-2014, 11:40 AM   #661
ronnyBB
Channel 4 news team

Default Re: Malaysian Airways Flight 370

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
3 signals have been found....

Ok, so are these 3 signals the same signal found by 3 different receivers or 3 separate signals by 3 separate emitters??

Would a crashed plane emit 3 signals? I thought only 1 of the 2 ornage boxes sends out the signal?

Confusing...
They are saying there are beacons that emit a very similar frequency around the 30-40Hz which makes it hard to tell the difference between a black box and a beacon
Old 07-04-2014, 04:52 PM   #662
FPVS3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnyBB View Post
They are saying there are beacons that emit a very similar frequency around the 30-40Hz which makes it hard to tell the difference between a black box and a beacon
The voice recorder and flight data recorder each have their own locator beacons. with a freq somewhere 'round the 37khz band.

A beacon or ELT (Emergency Locator transmitter) is a completely separate thing that transmits after an incident solely to help locate the aircraft.

The ELT automatically transmits distress signals on 121.5 MHZ, 243 MHZ,
and 406 MHZ if a high deceleration is sensed, or if the ELT switch is
positioned to ON.

Looks like the Americans have now detected something which CNN is giving a lot more credibility than any Chinese or British detection....funny that!

Anyway, hope they have found it and get this thing sorted.

2011 FG GTP 335 S/C. Auto, tiptronic. iPV ceramic headers, stainless hi flow cats and big bore, BMC filter, X3 tune, DBA T3 rotors, Roadhouse Performance pads. From Herrod; 100lb injectors, hi flow pump, Aeroflow fuel regulator, air to water intercooler, hi boost pulley kit, JLT breather. Hub dynoed at 598fwkw, 498rwkw, 959Nm torque, boost 10.62psi at 3750rpm (warm day). All done by iPV!
Other rides; '21 Jaguar F-Pace, '21 Ford Ranger FX4-MAX.
FPVS3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2014, 05:15 PM   #663
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It looks like a lot of lessons have been learnt from the AF447 crash. It's yet to be confirmed MH370 has been located but it looks promising so far. If indeed it has I think the SAR effort conducted by AMSA JACC is class leading.
This user likes this post:
Old 07-04-2014, 08:32 PM   #664
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I love a good conspiracy theory ...

Where has The haixun 01 been for the time since the disappearance - and has anything been loaded ?
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2014, 09:15 PM   #665
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoFG View Post
I love a good conspiracy theory ...

Where has The haixun 01 been for the time since the disappearance - and has anything been loaded ?
Well it does have enough room to pick up roughly 200 'victim's
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2014, 10:55 PM   #666
Spudz27
Call me Spud

I must admit that each day that passes, I feel more and more like everyone but the public kows what is going on. I am not in to conspiracies so I won't try and spin my thoughts on how or why. But it seems that the chinese are always 1 step ahead, but in saying that why was ocean shield not sent straight away to help confirm, instead it stayed in it's own area. The other reason I think gov co's know exactly what is happening, is because everytime a "breakthrough" is announced, the radar or sattelite data is suddenly changed to coincide with the area of the breakthrough. Just my 2c
Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-04-2014, 09:08 AM   #667
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudz27 View Post
I must admit that each day that passes, I feel more and more like everyone but the public kows what is going on. I am not in to conspiracies so I won't try and spin my thoughts on how or why. But it seems that the chinese are always 1 step ahead, but in saying that why was ocean shield not sent straight away to help confirm, instead it stayed in it's own area. The other reason I think gov co's know exactly what is happening, is because everytime a "breakthrough" is announced, the radar or sattelite data is suddenly changed to coincide with the area of the breakthrough. Just my 2c
Still no debris found....

Why the hell would the Malaysian minister say that 'There is still hope for survivors'???

Quote:
Minister claims 'miracles happen' over MH370

Malaysia's transport minister says he believes "miracles do happen" and claims he cannot rule out that some of the passengers on board missing flight MH370 are still alive.

Hishammudin Hussein's statement came as it was revealed underwater sounds detected by a ship in the search for the missing Malaysian Airlines flight were consistent with aircraft black box pings.

"I have always said to the families miracles do happen," he told reporters in Kuala Lumpur overnight.

While the minister said satellite information did not offer any signs of life, "we continue to hope and pray for survivors ... we are just hoping against hope".

"We have been through a real rollercoaster ride on some of the leads we have received. I am more optimistic about this one," he added.

The news of underwater sounds has brought fresh hope after a month of fruitless searches.

But Angus Houston, the head of a joint agency co-ordinating the search mission, said it could be days before they can confirm if the signals picked up by the Australian navy ship are from the black boxes belonging to the Malaysian Airlines flight.

"Clearly this is a most promising lead, and probably in the search so far, it's probably the best information that we have had," Mr Houston said.

"We've got a visual indication on a screen and we've also got an audible signal — and the audible signal sounds to me just like an emergency locator beacon."

The beacons' batteries last about a month and today marks one month since the plane disappeared on its way from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing.
No wonder the Chinese are saying what they are saying... they have been fed so much BS it's not funny.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2014, 10:49 AM   #668
iCat
doof doof doof doof

Why was the chinese vessel searching in an area so far away from the official search area?

And yes Yellow Festiva, why would the Malaysians suggest there may still be survivors? At the bottom of the ocean?
Old 08-04-2014, 12:57 PM   #669
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Because some of them might have had gills.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 08-04-2014, 02:03 PM   #670
iCat
doof doof doof doof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
Because some of them might have had gills.
silly me, i didn't think of that.....
Old 08-04-2014, 02:11 PM   #671
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

Malaysia's Ministers are just such tools... why doesn't he just keep his mouth shut now and let the Search coordinators do their jobs.
He has no justification for saying what he is saying, unless its just his way to stay in the spotlight?
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
Pepscobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2014, 02:37 PM   #672
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Media are reporting that the location the Ocean Shield picked up what could be the transponder is the same location the last satellite "handshake" was sent by the aircraft.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2014, 05:35 PM   #673
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepscobra View Post
Malaysia's Ministers are just such tools... why doesn't he just keep his mouth shut now and let the Search coordinators do their jobs.
He has no justification for saying what he is saying, unless its just his way to stay in the spotlight?
Bit like the 'Blessing in disguise' comment he apparently said a few days ago...

Old 08-04-2014, 05:54 PM   #674
alan3103

Im of the opinionthat the reason they have found no wreckage in the ocean is that it hasnt crashed in it !!!! 300 lifejackets on a plane and none have surfaced ?? Surely something would have been found ? If i was a relative i would still be praying for a miracle untill someone actually finds a body ?
alan3103 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2014, 05:54 PM   #675
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior View Post
Media are reporting that the location the Ocean Shield picked up what could be the transponder is the same location the last satellite "handshake" was sent by the aircraft.
Seriously? Wouldn't the last reported position be the first to be searched?

nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2014, 06:01 PM   #676
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan3103 View Post
Im of the opinionthat the reason they have found no wreckage in the ocean is that it hasnt crashed in it !!!! 300 lifejackets on a plane and none have surfaced ?? Surely something would have been found ? If i was a relative i would still be praying for a miracle untill someone actually finds a body ?
Finding a body would be slim after all this time. The critters of the sea would have been nibbling away and by now I doubt there would be much left.

The life jackets would be the inflatable ones I assume. Do those things sink or float when deflated? They would have also been locked away..

So much other stuff that should be floating around. Drink containers, sealed packs of snacks, insulation, cushions, those inflatable pillows people use, near empty carry on bags, duty free stuff, shoes, medicine containers, etc etc etc etc etc.

I'm still stumped that no debris has turned up. What, did the plane go down whole???

Old 08-04-2014, 06:42 PM   #677
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
What, did the plane go down whole???
That`s one possibility. Soft landing on its belly. Fills up with water then sinks (including the empty tanks), has happened on a number of occasions. Wont implode because water is incompressible, hence why there wasnt any debris floating to the surface. But to sink to that depth and not break up is remote at best.

They have pulled planes and helicopters completely intact from deeper parts of the ocean, but they were much smaller. Point is that it`s possible.

Two tropical cyclones passed in that area over the past 4 weeks. Any debris that didnt sink, is almost certain to have sunk or be semi submerged, or 700km in any direction.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 09-04-2014, 11:14 AM   #678
Trump
bitch lasagne

Could the foilers be right? Could the plane have landed in Diego Garcia? Could decoy beacons and black boxes been tossed into the ocean to keep the cluey folk in the search teams off the real trail?

Scaled Business Solutions
For Your Small Business IT Needs
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 09-04-2014, 11:47 AM   #679
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud_Noises View Post
Could the foilers be right? Could the plane have landed in Diego Garcia? Could decoy beacons and black boxes been tossed into the ocean to keep the cluey folk in the search teams off the real trail?
If you're going to have a conspiracy or do something top secret, the less people that know about the easier it will be.

How many people are on that Island?
Old 09-04-2014, 11:49 AM   #680
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
If you're going to have a conspiracy or do something top secret, the less people that know about the easier it will be.

How many people are on that Island?
Not many at all besides miliary personnel.

Old 09-04-2014, 11:50 AM   #681
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Found it lads.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/sc...-1226878204278

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-04-2014, 11:57 AM   #682
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Not many at all besides miliary personnel.
I meant ALL people, including military, any idea?
Old 09-04-2014, 12:17 PM   #683
Trump
bitch lasagne

Anywhere from 1000 to 5000 people:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diego_Garcia

Old 09-04-2014, 12:40 PM   #684
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Anywhere from 1000 to 5000 people:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diego_Garcia
Yep, British and US personnel, but I can't see 4,000 people from (at least) 2 countries keeping it secret.
Old 09-04-2014, 01:08 PM   #685
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
Yep, British and US personnel, but I can't see 4,000 people from (at least) 2 countries keeping it secret.
Considering that they are almost all military, it isn't beyond the realm of possibility. It wouldn't have taken much of an effort to furlough most of the personnel before any MH370 related shenanigans went down, leaving the bare essential ground crew to "sort" it out.

Drawing a very long bow, hell yes, but considering that what we have been given so far is essentially the following:

Quote:
This is it guys... Oh, Look! A satellite spotted debris! It's right here in the South China Sea. No, no, wait, wait, that was just trash. Oh look, French satellite found it!..Oh, no, no...that's was just a whale. Oh, oh, look, a patrol boat found a life vest...Nah, nope....But, but...over hear....This is it! It's in the Gulf of Thailand! Really, this time is it. See, P-8 got a photo of some debris!! Wow, they must have found it. No, no....wait, wait. It's in the Strait of Malacca. Oh, look! A chinese Y-8 found a wing! Must be! Oh, no, no....oh. But hey, yeah...Aussie P-3..ahaha...found it! A mere 5,000 miles south. This time they found it!. It's in the far, super-south Indian Ocean. Oh, no, no... Oh, wait...just jump 400 nautical miles to the west. Oh look, coast guard cutter hears a ping, it's ever on 37.5 kHz!! Must be it!!.....Oh, oh....no, no....but, but... Oh, wait, wait.....Oh, oh look over there! This time we really found it! Oh, but wait, wait...This time we know exactly where it is!
anything is possible.

2 users like this post:
Old 09-04-2014, 03:05 PM   #686
bungarra

Considering Australian and NZ flights are still transiting through Diego Garcia to ur FOB's in the Middle East, plus not only US and UK personnel on that base, at least 50 Aussies work there.

The hangars on the island are not capable of hiding a B1 Lancer fully let alone a 777. The hangars are open door whiich allow you to see inside as they are used for maintenance. Any personnel transiting through, which regularly happens, would see a 777.

Diego Garcia is under constant surveillance by the Chinese and North Koreans due to the potential for first strike by B1 and B52 aircraft from there. You can guarantee if they could get one up on Good Ol' Uncle Sam, they would.
bungarra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-04-2014, 04:47 PM   #687
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
anything is possible.
Possible: yes. Plausible: no!!!!

Craig H

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2014, 05:18 PM   #688
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

One thing they should take away from this whole schmozzle is that some countries should never be allowed to take charge or be involved with airliner hunts or investigations. Far too much time was lost with incompetence.

There should be a list of designated authorities which are deemed reliable so that depending on location, circumstance etc, the most suitable is assigned to lead operations in future similar incidents.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2014, 05:54 PM   #689
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia View Post
One thing they should take away from this whole schmozzle is that some countries should never be allowed to take charge or be involved with airliner hunts or investigations. Far too much time was lost with incompetence.

There should be a list of designated authorities which are deemed reliable so that depending on location, circumstance etc, the most suitable is assigned to lead operations in future similar incidents.
Problem is this type of event is so rare, of the 36 Million commercial passenger flights in the last 12 months globaly 1 goes missing. Very hard to make rules, set up organisations or mandate regulations to deal with all eventualities.
Plus soverign borders prevent international organisational leads in some cases, getting all governments to agree to a central investigator for such very rare cases would prove epic.

JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2014, 06:37 PM   #690
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobimbo View Post
Possible: yes. Plausible: no!!!!

Craig H
With the amount of at best, overt incompetence displayed, such scenarios become plausible...