Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 13-11-2006, 02:50 PM   #31
Matty b
Starter Motor

Wow i didn't think this would actually catch on... but to answer some of the many questions, it's not my shop but the family who own the chain and the local pub which i also work at are very good to me and the camera's at the store were actually not working that week. So they would not have been able to lodge a insurance claim. It may seem like a small amount of money 400 odd dollars but after buying a new house and renewing the liqour license things get pretty tight for them. I did actually know that you have to state that you are 'detaining' the person but i didn't use that particular word at the time. I must say there was a good tackle and some small amount of well thought out blows exchanged but nothing beyond reason or legal limits. I didn't leave the store unattended either our door automatically locks itself when you shut it, i actually slammed the door behind me when i took off after him. As i said in hindsight it wasn't very bright but in that split second i had to decided to go or not, and i was pretty bored at the time as well. The guy also got a visit from the boss and his mates after we found out were he lived, no harm was done to him but a very stern warning by some very serious people was given. The good thing is we haven't seen him at the store since and absolutely no one has come near the store with those intensions. Had it been a hold up with anything worse than a knife i would have smiled and handed things over but because he was running and didn't have time to do a thing when i caught him it was relatively safe. Also when the coppers came an hour and a half later they just gave him a warning and let him go, then off the record gave me a pat on the back. They like it when you use necessary force that doesn't do any real damage and cause more work for them. So yeah i'll end my little rant there hope that answered some of the questions.
Matty b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2006, 03:00 PM   #32
HOON69
Banned

theres a fine line really

you could be sued if the guy hurt himself

you can still be charged yourself for assault if you handle him the wrong way

but in all that,you did save yourself and the business a few hundred bucks and that kind of money deserves a chase down of the thief,but if your in a rough area then i'd be more careful as it could come back to haunt you if he decided to get revenge etc but that rarely happens (i think)
HOON69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2006, 05:38 PM   #33
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

If i see someone shoplifting i cannot touch them, all i can do is ask them to put it back...call security and follow them to the carpark to get rego. if they pocket something, they can walk straight past and theres not a damn thing i can do.
i heard of one woman that loaded up a trolley and walked straight out, threw it in her car (unregistered) and drove off, there was not a damn thing we could do...

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2006, 05:48 PM   #34
TZENU
XY Driv3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonkoXR8
If i see someone shoplifting i cannot touch them, all i can do is ask them to put it back...call security and follow them to the carpark to get rego. if they pocket something, they can walk straight past and theres not a damn thing i can do.
i heard of one woman that loaded up a trolley and walked straight out, threw it in her car (unregistered) and drove off, there was not a damn thing we could do...

Thats what we were told when i was working for Bi-Lo several years ago!!!
We would get in trouble if we were to try and stop the suspect...
Old 13-11-2006, 06:08 PM   #35
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathers
I know Woolworths' policy is that you can't touch shoplifters while they are in the store, but you cannot chase them once they are off company property/out of the store.
well i know where i am going before i head out next saturday night....
Old 15-11-2006, 01:56 PM   #36
Bluepower
KenneBell Australia

You need to be very careful, especially if a thief has priors.

They will be much more prepared to fight much harder if they know there is a risk of going to jail.

Plus, you need to choose your fights very carefully. A mate of mine (ex cop) told me of a story about 2 guys who were hassled in King st by a group of 6 aussie blokes, the 2 guys walking minding their own business were yanks, off a warship having some R and R.

One of the gang of blokes spat on one of the yanks, then my mate recieved a call that they had to go urgently to the scene.

Result? a pile of 6 aussie blokes, assorted broken ribs, one missing an eye and further injuries, all were hospitalised. The yanks? Not a mark on them.

They were Navy Seals!! true story.

Moral of the story is choose your fights. Tackle a thief, you could be taking a big gamble.

Bluepower Racing Developments

Proud Australian Distributors of Kenne Bell superchargers
The Quickest, The Fastest, The Baddest Boss Blower of all.

www.bluepower.com.au

Bluepower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2006, 05:49 PM   #37
Matty b
Starter Motor

yeah i completely understand were everyone is coming from and as i said in hindsight bad move but i had his number and i mean working in a bottle shop that supplies alcohol to the rest of the very bad bastards we have around the area, the bloke sort of knew if he touched me it wouldn't have just been me and some aquantances after him it would be most of the big boys in the area. You wouldn't believe the mates you make by giving dollar discounts here and there and giving away heaps of promo gear, keeps me nice and safe around here. but to end it i would say nothing will come of this and if it does its my own stupid fault... cheers for your 2cents worth
Matty b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2006, 03:46 PM   #38
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepower
You need to be very careful, especially if a thief has priors.

They will be much more prepared to fight much harder if they know there is a risk of going to jail.

Plus, you need to choose your fights very carefully. A mate of mine (ex cop) told me of a story about 2 guys who were hassled in King st by a group of 6 aussie blokes, the 2 guys walking minding their own business were yanks, off a warship having some R and R.

One of the gang of blokes spat on one of the yanks, then my mate recieved a call that they had to go urgently to the scene.

Result? a pile of 6 aussie blokes, assorted broken ribs, one missing an eye and further injuries, all were hospitalised. The yanks? Not a mark on them.

They were Navy Seals!! true story.

Moral of the story is choose your fights. Tackle a thief, you could be taking a big gamble.
Yep went to the gold coast last weekend for a friends birthday, the 3 of us went of a pub trek and everyone was pretty much wasted half way through. Some clown tried to dance with my friend and she politley asked him not to, he pushed her towards the wall and was quite rough. I just came back with her drink and walked over and she walked off with me, he tried to start a fight but i'm on bail so i let it go. At the next club he done it again but this time grabbed her arm and called her a sl.. as she tried to walk off, i lost it & dropped him and pushed his mate head first off the stage. He was with 5 of his mates who were all in there late 2o's, i walked out side with her to calm down and they followed. 2 young kiwi blokes came out behind them and quickly moved them on, i wouldn't have picked either of them to be able to fight.

I got the **** from that club but was allowed in the rest, got free drinks from the kiwi's for having a go even tho i was about to get my **** handed to me but was still in the shit with my friend for getting into a fight on her birthday : . Chicks go figure.
XRQTOR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post