Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 30-10-2006, 04:24 PM   #31
Dazza XLT
Back in a Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLC
Dire Straits - Sultans of Swing live at Montserrat.. 10~minutes, probably 7 minutes worth is Mark Knopfler going nuts on his Stratocaster

EDIT: Actually its from the Alchemy albulm I think
^^^Agreed.
Truely one of the great guitarists of all time.
As for Wolfmother... Don't really have an opinion, as I haven't heard much of their music.

Cheers

Darran
Old 30-10-2006, 04:41 PM   #32
thefargo
black xb
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16wantsI6
getting ****ed on stage! thats what rock and rolls all about...
I thought it was about music?

they have yet to sell more albums than either Rolf Harris or Kamahl
thefargo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2006, 05:12 PM   #33
WHIPLASH
METALLICA and FORD FREAK

Well my fav band of all time is metallica but wolfmother is my close second. There being different and hey, most people would have to agree. Bag wolfmother out, would rather listen to WOMAN then a song called bi*ch get in my car (50 cent song) anyday. Alot of people out there must like them tho, in a recent count down i saw on MTV, wolfmother woman was the number one song. This wasnt just againsed other rock bands such as green day and cough PANIC at the disco ....... (NOT ROCK). cant believe they class panic as rock. it was also against guns and roses and rolling stones

So my final thought. GO WOLFMOTHER.

Little fox

Rolling back in my au forte
*18" xhp jetz
*alpine 4000watt audio
*tickford t3 bodykit

Still got a V8 but wanting to offload the shell if anyone is interested PM me.

(1993 EB body, some minor marks, full interior (electrics need attention) NO MOTOR, gearbox needs 5th. Make offer.

Also in the shed is a 3.9ltr straight six (1990 EA). headers, crow cam, 5spd manual included. may need minor rebuild. Again make offer

WHIPLASH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2006, 05:15 PM   #34
LG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Woohoo, I'm seeing them for New Years!!!
Old 30-10-2006, 05:24 PM   #35
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For a great album, get "The Offspring". Released on LP in 1989/1990 (sources vary) and re-released on CD in 1995.

One of the few CDs I bothered buying. And it's still my favourite.

And what pI$ses me off about dickheads who "know" Offspring is that they think Smash is their first album. Stupid singles n00bs.

Dammit. First album. Get it. Best music and lyrics.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2006, 05:30 PM   #36
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppet
Didn't you're mommy tell you there are starving kiddies in Africa that could use those instruments lol.
I just dont like seeing people brake stuff I would rather see them give it to someone.
If you think all metal is all about satan then you dont realy listen to much of it do you .
And I will tell all my mates who play in punk bands arround newcastle that they better stop playing at the pubs and clubs every weekend and give up.
I thought that 70's rock was dead too , but here we are listening to it again.
So old rockers like The Who, or punk bands like The Clash who influenced so many other bands, are jokes for smashing instruments? I mean, they really smashed them, not just dropped them, lol.. Yet it helped make these guys big back then..

And no, I don't think all metal is about satan and Punk music may not be dead, but the culture might as well be.

Take it light heartedly mate.. I'm more open minded to music than anyone else i've met, just taking a fun stab ;)
Van D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2006, 05:31 PM   #37
Olympus
Rocket Fuel Anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by popinfresh
Yeah, but where do you think those 70's bands got their sound from? Even The Beatles ripped their riffs from classic composers. It's all about re-inventing mate. That Sarah song by Eskimo Joe is a complete rip of the never ending story.. Oh yeah by End of Fashion was a rip of the Pixies.. Speaking of the Pixies, where do you think the White Stripes got the riff for 7 Nation Army? It's a COMPLETE rip off of a Pixies track.

The thing is, people can't just go out and see Led Zeppelin or Black Sabbath live anymore, and if they could do that, they'd be paying an absolute fortune these days to see a bunch of washed up old rockers who should just give it up (Rolling Stones anyone? As a fan of them, i've being embarrased by some of their later shows). It's a chance for people who love that era of music to keep living it in a live and 'new' way.

A lot of kids didn't get to grow up with Zep, Sabbath, Deep Purple etc playing on the radio, and now's their chance to experience some of that. I'd much rather go and see Wolfmother, in an energetic live set, than listen to House of the Holy for the 1000th time in my bedroom again.

Sunk Lotto used to be good.. But IMO Karnivool are MUCH better musicians making better/more original music. And COG have the biggest sound i've EVER heard from a 3 piece act live. I don't think they're that similar to TOOL, sure, you can hear a lot of the influence (tool are one of my favourite bands..), but the vocals are distinct.. and hey. I'd much rather pay $15 bucks and go see COG a few times, than $100 or whatever to be stuck at a concert surounded by typical 'Tool - non conformist, i'm different from everyone but doing the same thing as Maynard and everyone else at this damn show' type people.

Meh.

And, and PS. My mate is old friends with Chris (bass/keys) from Wolfmother, and they never set out to be the next big thing, or some rip off 70's band. They were just playing the music THEY loved and happened to get famous from it. People should just enjoy the music they love to play and be thankful someone has good taste in music these days (much rather kids listening to wolfmother than 'fiddy' cent etc).
I totally agree.

But I do crank 50 cent now and again to give the sub a workout.
:
Olympus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2006, 06:19 PM   #38
muppet

Quote:
So old rockers like The Who, or punk bands like The Clash who influenced so many other bands, are jokes for smashing instruments? I mean, they really smashed them, not just dropped them, lol.. Yet it helped make these guys big back then..

And no, I don't think all metal is about satan and Punk music may not be dead, but the culture might as well be.

Take it light heartedly mate.. I'm more open minded to music than anyone else i've met, just taking a fun stab ;)
I am takeing it light heartedly no probs there.
Yeah those old punk bands wrote the rules on smashing stuff and I hated seeing it then and I hate seeing it now. I just hate seeing good instruments get trashed , send them to me I'll give them a good home lol
Old 30-10-2006, 06:49 PM   #39
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppet
I am takeing it light heartedly no probs there.
Yeah those old punk bands wrote the rules on smashing stuff and I hated seeing it then and I hate seeing it now. I just hate seeing good instruments get trashed , send them to me I'll give them a good home lol
Heheh, one of my mates bands trashed the set last time they played.. Then they realised they weren't rock stars and had to replace the stuff from their own pockets! Haha, that was a good night :
Old 30-10-2006, 06:54 PM   #40
coolkid

anyone here fans of the butterfly effect cos they put on an amazing show with ALOT of passion and clint is one of the best live vocalists i have ever heard :
and with regards to GOG and karnivool yes they are the real deal these bands truly are amazing both on record and live, and i just dont understand why not one of these bands were not even nominated for anything at ARIAS , i mean imago is surely is worthy of album of the year nomination and themata and new normal all these albums are at the pinacle of australian hard rock :
and back on topic i think wolfmother arnt too bad i see no reason to bag them when they are making honest rock and roll and some of the quality of other bands in the inustry is just appalling to say the kindest :
coolkid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2006, 07:36 PM   #41
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkid
anyone here fans of the butterfly effect cos they put on an amazing show with ALOT of passion and clint is one of the best live vocalists i have ever heard :
and with regards to GOG and karnivool yes they are the real deal these bands truly are amazing both on record and live, and i just dont understand why not one of these bands were not even nominated for anything at ARIAS , i mean imago is surely is worthy of album of the year nomination and themata and new normal all these albums are at the pinacle of australian hard rock :
and back on topic i think wolfmother arnt too bad i see no reason to bag them when they are making honest rock and roll and some of the quality of other bands in the inustry is just appalling to say the kindest :
I've got Begins Here playing right now.. I prefer it over the newer album, but it's all still good.

Glad someone agrees with me on 'Vool and COG!
Old 30-10-2006, 07:50 PM   #42
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Wolf who ?
Ignore them and they may go away...i hope.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2006, 07:55 PM   #43
WHIPLASH
METALLICA and FORD FREAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkid
anyone here fans of the butterfly effect cos they put on an amazing show with ALOT of passion and clint is one of the best live vocalists i have ever heard
Right here, cool kid. Love butterfly effect. One of the few bands ive seen live and THE BEST

Little fox

Rolling back in my au forte
*18" xhp jetz
*alpine 4000watt audio
*tickford t3 bodykit

Still got a V8 but wanting to offload the shell if anyone is interested PM me.

(1993 EB body, some minor marks, full interior (electrics need attention) NO MOTOR, gearbox needs 5th. Make offer.

Also in the shed is a 3.9ltr straight six (1990 EA). headers, crow cam, 5spd manual included. may need minor rebuild. Again make offer

WHIPLASH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2006, 07:55 PM   #44
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

I'll stick to me old Back Sabbath and Led Zepp recs meself. When I think of good aussie bands, I think The Angels, Rose Tattoo, etc. The golden era of aussie pub rock but that cos I'm getting old.
Mark351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2006, 08:27 PM   #45
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb02
NOW THAT..... is MUSIC... :
Acker Bilk "Stranger on the Shore" now THATS music.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2006, 08:32 PM   #46
PHATXR8
PHATXR8

Wolfmother are awesome. Yes they sound like Zepplin & Deep Purple, but what is wrong with that? I have seen them live a couple of times (including at BDO last year) and they are a great live act. Hopefully they will improve with age and experience and give us alll many more albums of great tunes.....

The Living End are also an awesome band.

How lucky we are to have so manty good Australian Bands and soloists these days, expecially when you look at all of the "manufactured" artists coming out of the US and UK these days. These crappy artists are played by commercial radio non-stop - why I do not know.

JJJ has a lot to be proud of for developing so much aussie talent and giving them the start and air time the local acts deserve.
PHATXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2006, 08:33 PM   #47
EFFalcon
Last warning

can't stand em personally...
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2006, 08:33 PM   #48
PHATXR8
PHATXR8

I think they will still be remebered long after you are ignored and forgotten
PHATXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2006, 08:56 PM   #49
coolkid

hey its good to know others listen to te butterfly effect i have seen them 3 times now and still not enough not even close. also seen karnivool twice and they really are quite possibly the best live band you can see in australia at the moment imo. and i have seen cog only once i wish it was more just that everytime i want to i have something else preventing me from seeing them but they are also a very powerful act and would really love to see em again, i think thy are now heading to the states to promote the new normal so no tours here for a while, but are coming out with a new album in early 07 i beleive which i cant wait for :dj:
coolkid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2006, 08:56 PM   #50
XRated
Shoot.

Quote:
Yeah, but where do you think those 70's bands got their sound from? Even The Beatles ripped their riffs from classic composers. It's all about re-inventing mate. That Sarah song by Eskimo Joe is a complete rip of the never ending story.. Oh yeah by End of Fashion was a rip of the Pixies.. Speaking of the Pixies, where do you think the White Stripes got the riff for 7 Nation Army? It's a COMPLETE rip off of a Pixies track.

The thing is, people can't just go out and see Led Zeppelin or Black Sabbath live anymore, and if they could do that, they'd be paying an absolute fortune these days to see a bunch of washed up old rockers who should just give it up (Rolling Stones anyone? As a fan of them, i've being embarrased by some of their later shows). It's a chance for people who love that era of music to keep living it in a live and 'new' way.

A lot of kids didn't get to grow up with Zep, Sabbath, Deep Purple etc playing on the radio, and now's their chance to experience some of that. I'd much rather go and see Wolfmother, in an energetic live set, than listen to House of the Holy for the 1000th time in my bedroom again.

Sunk Lotto used to be good.. But IMO Karnivool are MUCH better musicians making better/more original music. And COG have the biggest sound i've EVER heard from a 3 piece act live. I don't think they're that similar to TOOL, sure, you can hear a lot of the influence (tool are one of my favourite bands..), but the vocals are distinct.. and hey. I'd much rather pay $15 bucks and go see COG a few times, than $100 or whatever to be stuck at a concert surounded by typical 'Tool - non conformist, i'm different from everyone but doing the same thing as Maynard and everyone else at this damn show' type people.

Meh.

And, and PS. My mate is old friends with Chris (bass/keys) from Wolfmother, and they never set out to be the next big thing, or some rip off 70's band. They were just playing the music THEY loved and happened to get famous from it. People should just enjoy the music they love to play and be thankful someone has good taste in music these days (much rather kids listening to wolfmother than 'fiddy' cent etc).
Hmm interesting debate/conversation.

Well-said popinfresh. Pixies are one of my favourite bands and I only got in the last couple of years (they were before my time or when I was too young :P) and same goes for White Stripes, they rock!!

I personally quite like Wolfmother, although I've only heard their current album and nothing else of their's. I haven't seen them live either, so my judgement only goes as far as that.

I'm also a big fan of The Living End (self-titled album; it's one of my favourites) but find they're new stuff just doesn't cut it. Same goes for The Offspring; after Smash it was fairly downhill. But I guess that happens to a lot of artists that make it big these days and get carried away with the fame and money.

On another note it's good to see enthusiasm for Australian music/artists. If you step away from the rock scene, there are brilliant artists doing some awesome stuff in other genres. Most-notably, if you like drum n bass, Pendulum is wicked!! I also saw True Live, live, for a bit at Fed Square and that was really something - double bass, violin, drums and a bit of hip-hop (not the trashy kind).

Obviously in the end it comes down to your personal music taste. I like to think I have a very broad taste and appreciation of music.. Some people won't appreciate anything outside of crumby commerical "RnB" / pop, and some are stuck in the 60s and 70s. I just feel sorry for those missing out on so much!

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2006, 09:07 PM   #51
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
i CANNOT believe the success that Wolfmother is having?! if i was John Bonham and Jimmy Page (Led Zep) i'd be considering re-releasing songs/albums/box sets to cash in on all these kids buying this crap.
If I was John Bonham I'd be considering giving up the grog.

I'm stuck in the 70's and love every second of it. Excuse me while I change the LP.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2006, 09:12 PM   #52
rodderz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
Acker Bilk "Stranger on the Shore" now THATS music.
lol... i got tormented with that fella's music in the car on family trips as a wee tacker, along with Richard Clayderman, Julie Anthony and assorted other old-fart songs

As for Wolfmother, I despised them initially but their album is pretty good. Sure I rate Led Zepp, Deep Purple and Sabbath as 3 of my fave bands but whats wrong with playing a style you're influenced by? Plenty of bands now have been influenced by earlier bands who pioneered their genre and make a living out of it for people to listen to. I think that's part the reason what made the early bands so good, they actually defined the style of music as it hadnt been done yet.

There wouldnt be many bands of today that could claim to have a style they have defined as much as the older ones, as so many styles have been crossed and altered

Sure beats listening to the mainstream teeny bop and r & b crap that gets played these days
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2006, 09:15 PM   #53
Falcon_Phill
1967 XR Falcon

Overhyped. There not even that good.
Old 30-10-2006, 09:16 PM   #54
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodderz
lol... i got tormented with that fella's music in the car on family trips as a wee tacker, along with Richard Clayderman, Julie Anthony and assorted other old-fart songs
About time an adult came along who recognized him!

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2006, 09:21 PM   #55
rodderz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
About time an adult came along who recognized him!
What about Boots Randolph, with his hit "Yackety Sax"

Anyone who is curious as to what song this is, and you all have heard it, try and find it somewhere to listen to. Ten bucks say you laugh when you hear it
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2006, 09:29 PM   #56
16wantsI6
iRegular crossmember

whoa everyone settle down, cant we all be friends?
i must admit the performance Wolfmother did last night was one of there worst ive seen, but go see them live or get some of there live videos and youll see they are great live!

and while i like wolfmother im not only new school. alot of the music i listen to is old aswell. i like a broad spread of music
METALLICA
GUNS'N'ROSES ( i love these guys!)
ACCA DACCA
ZEPLIN
NIRVANA
CHILLI'S
PANTERA
SEPULTURA
SLAYER
SOAD
KORN
SLIPKNOT
TOOL and alot of good aussie rock bands. so yeah its not like i dont know where there inspirations come from or what all the good old music is like lol.

5 spd manual
2 1/2" manta S/S exhaust
After market alpine/soundstream stereo

18" tyhpoons
superlows waiting to go in....
spoilerless
16wantsI6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2006, 09:31 PM   #57
XR6TickfordBoy
Now XR8TickfordBoy

Wolfmother are big cos they are mainstream! The best aussie bands are Butterfly Effect, Karnivool, Superheist and Sunk Loto. Only aussie bands I need to listen to!!!!
EF XR8- Respray in Monza Red with Clear Coat, Custom Rear Bar, AU V8, EL GT MAF, Rebuilt and Strengthened Auto with Stage 2 Shift Kit, 2,500RPM Stallie and tranny cooler, Rebuilt Diff with 4.11 Gears, Custom Radiator, King Ultra Lows, Pedders Shocks, NL Concorde Rims.
XR6TickfordBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2006, 09:34 PM   #58
16wantsI6
iRegular crossmember

oh and those who say they rip this off and that off, just think... its pretty hard to make completely fresh music nowaday isnt it? someones always gonna say oh they sound like this or that.

5 spd manual
2 1/2" manta S/S exhaust

18" tyhpoons
spoilerless
16wantsI6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2006, 09:38 PM   #59
BJ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_scotsman
YOUR kidding right???

Worst band you have ever heard? Jeezuz.....I guess the 3 ARIAS they won don't mean anything then eh...aside from that...well I guess your taste in music is different from mine...

They are a quality band...but not as good as The Living End? hahaha what a joke!

And there was I thinking most of the people on here had a good ear for good quality modern music...
Just because your taste is in you mouth. Bj
BJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2006, 09:46 PM   #60
16wantsI6
iRegular crossmember

'doooont you cryyyy tonite'
its alrite we love the living end to

5 spd manual
2 1/2" manta S/S exhaust

18" tyhpoons