Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-02-2006, 06:18 AM   #31
BA_BOSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Holden 6's are crap, its no wonder they sell so many V8's.
What a stupid statement. In what way are they "crap". There are probably more Holen 6's on the road than Ford 6's or at minimun, equal numbers. How does that make them "crap"?

Qualify the statement with facts.

Intersesting stats as I see far more V8 SS's on the road than BA-BF V8's. I generalise with these models as sales figures are stating 2005 facts. I also suspect that the I6T detracts from Fords V8 numbers and that makes sense as the I6T is popular and very good.
BA_BOSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2006, 06:24 AM   #32
BA_BOSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
Just to clear it up guys, that's 15% of Commodores are V8's, 49% of Statesmans are V8's etc. Statesmans do not form 49% of all Holden V8 sales...
Clear as mud !!
BA_BOSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2006, 04:06 PM   #33
zetec
Zoom Zoom

[QUOTE=I also see plenty of them on the road everyday so they can't be that bad if so many people are choosing them.[/QUOTE]

So THAT must be why they sell to many Toyota Corollas. Must be a good car if so many people are buying them.

There goes that argument... :ymca:
Old 02-02-2006, 06:35 PM   #34
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

[QUOTE=zetec]
Quote:
Originally Posted by I also see plenty of them on the road everyday so they can't be that bad if so many people are choosing them.[/QUOTE

So THAT must be why they sell to many Toyota Corollas. Must be a good car if so many people are buying them.

There goes that argument... :ymca:
Nothing wrong with the Corolla mate, they are a great car.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2006, 06:52 PM   #35
zetec
Zoom Zoom

They're rubbish for anyone who appreciates a decent driving, good looking, non-cheap feeling car. I'd take one over any Pulsar/Lancer/Korean Cheapie but would cut off my arms before buying one over an Astra/Focus/Golf/etc. Honestly, they're overpriced for what you get, considering they fill the middle ground between the well optioned Korean bargain cars and the much better safer and classier premium hatches. Corolla is comparatively either an overpriced Cheapie or an under-specced and badly engineered premium competitor. Nothing more than an honest car. Boring.
Old 03-02-2006, 06:40 PM   #36
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA_BOSS
What a stupid statement. In what way are they "crap". There are probably more Holen 6's on the road than Ford 6's or at minimun, equal numbers. How does that make them "crap"?

Qualify the statement with facts.

Intersesting stats as I see far more V8 SS's on the road than BA-BF V8's. I generalise with these models as sales figures are stating 2005 facts. I also suspect that the I6T detracts from Fords V8 numbers and that makes sense as the I6T is popular and very good.
Because they were critisized by every journo for being rough and extremely harsh sounding engines, that added technology over the old 3.8 V8 yet it didn't make them any better than the old ones. Fuel economy was the same, NVH levels were about the same and performance was about the same. Whats the point of quad cams, multi valves, alloy construction etc when it doesn't make the engine a huge advance over the old version. Plus the new engine is about 1 to 2k more expensive to make and build than the old Ecotec. In my opinion that makes them crap, with that sort of technology it should be light years ahead of the Ecotec, but it isn't, and i'm not the only one who thinks the same.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2006, 07:24 PM   #37
Big Mike
Acid Rush XB Coupe

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2006, 07:25 PM   #38
gmhdriver
Banned

Quote:
Because they were critisized by every journo for being rough and extremely harsh sounding engines
Judging by your comments I doubt you have even been a passenger in an Alloytec powered vehicle let alone driven one. If you did you would realise that journalists like to exaggerate these sort of things sometimes. A journalist's opinion is not the be all and end all to everything. To say that an Alloytec is "extremely harsh" is absolutely laughable.
Quote:
Fuel economy was the same, NVH levels were about the same and performance was about the same.
Alloytec 175 have been recorded around the 15.7 - 15.8 mark, while SV6's with the 190 version have recorded 15.3. An improvement over the Ecotec's average times of 16.4. Fuel economy has improved marginally, but an improvement nonetheless.
Quote:
Whats the point of quad cams, multi valves, alloy construction etc when it doesn't make the engine a huge advance over the old version..
I could say exactly the same thing about the Boss V8's. Their performance and fuel consumption is only a marginal improvement over the last Windsor V8's.
Quote:
with that sort of technology it should be light years ahead of the Ecotec, but it isn't, and i'm not the only one who thinks the same.
You are forgetting that this is the very first version of this engine and it has years of development and potential left in it. Look at the way the Ecotec evolved from the original Buick in the VN.

Last edited by gmhdriver; 03-02-2006 at 07:31 PM.
gmhdriver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2006, 07:49 PM   #39
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmhdriver
Judging by your comments I doubt you have even been a passenger in an Alloytec powered vehicle let alone driven one. If you did you would realise that journalists like to exaggerate these sort of things sometimes. A journalist's opinion is not the be all and end all to everything. To say that an Alloytec is "extremely harsh" is absolutely laughable.

Alloytec 175 have been recorded around the 15.7 - 15.8 mark, while SV6's with the 190 version have recorded 15.3. An improvement over the Ecotec's average times of 16.4. Fuel economy has improved marginally, but an improvement nonetheless.

I could say exactly the same thing about the Boss V8's. Their performance and fuel consumption is only a marginal improvement over the last Windsor V8's.

You are forgetting that this is the very first version of this engine and it has years of development and potential left in it. Look at the way the Ecotec evolved from the original Buick in the VN.
Can't help yourself can you.
I'd say considering the BA is a lot heavier than the AU its a pretty impressive effort for the 5.4 to be quicker than the old Windsor.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post