Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 19-11-2005, 02:43 PM   #31
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

When I was a small boy I used to think my mate's parents' VL Calais was the smartest thing around and I still like them to this day. But I now know that the VL was the last in a series that had some problems stepping back to the VB that Holden wished they could have had the funds to fix.

But I still get a laugh whenever I see that photo of Peter Brock in a dinner suit standing next to a VL Director or whatever called it. The one with that ridiculous body kit.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Old 19-11-2005, 02:53 PM   #32
clontarf_x
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I love every ford, but there are two series' of Holdens that ive always liked
H Series
and
VT

The VT just looks sexy to me (and funnily enough its my XR6's competitor...)
Old 19-11-2005, 03:20 PM   #33
SSBUB
SSuper SSpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Chicken
EB and EL GT, god yes. It's a fine line between looking like a povo pack and looking tacky. Personally I think FPV are closer to the looking like a povo pack with a giant wing, and HSV are closer to looking like the aftermath of an explosion at the Darth Vader helmet factory.
:
Old 19-11-2005, 03:35 PM   #34
Valknutr

i love my dads VZ Sv6, even though it does seem to lack power off the line and only gets going once above 45, and the gearbox makes stupid noises, and a panel has already fallen off FOR NO GOOD REASON, and it gets bugger all kms from a 70L tank (450-500 so ).
But its quite as hell even when doing a pretty excessive speed, and is comfy, and i dont have to pay for fuel with it (love fleet cards...) and doesnt look that bad, get lots of looks from the hot young females around here (and being 20 thats a brilliant thing)
but all in all i would only ever own holden even if it was maloo ute
GO FORD WOO
Old 19-11-2005, 03:56 PM   #35
The Monty
Just slidin'

I like HQ's. They are one of my favourite cars. And I like a lot of older Holdens as well.
I just dont like the newer ones.
Old 19-11-2005, 04:40 PM   #36
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytonk
I meant to say not many people on this forum like holden
You would like to think most people on the forum kept an open mind regardless of make / model, and respected other peoples views without making personal or childish remarks.

Personally i like most of the early model holdens ( and owned a HJ GTS along with a HZ GTS ) these were both great cars, and would not say no to another one if it was parked in my drive.
Old 19-11-2005, 04:58 PM   #37
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

My favorite Kingswood was the one after the HQ with the lights in the bumper bars. A neighbour used to have one painted in black with a white bonnet and white boot lid, maybe white window pillars and roof, too. I used to think it was just like the Blues Brothers' Dodge Monaco and it sounded bad.

One day he opened his garage and I got a peek of a yellow and black GTS he had in the works. I also like Chargers, and have a soft spot for the rare late '70s Valiant 2-door hard top.

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Old 19-11-2005, 05:01 PM   #38
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've still got a VT exec ... I like Holden.. I prefer Ford
Old 19-11-2005, 05:07 PM   #39
Dezza
Parts bin special

The VT/VX were a great design, but that back end on the VY/VZ is :

I must agree that the Commodore 6 cylinder engines do sound like a vacuum cleaner but so does my EA with it's standard clutch fan!

The VN was a mechanic's nightmare because Holden basically just chucked a Buick engine designed for left hand drive into a right hand drive car. As Psycho Chicken said, the thermostat was incredibly hard to get to, but there were plenty of other parts that were hard to get to.

Quote:
EL etc years - Ford turned ugly....looked good from the front, rear looked shocking
The design of the EF/EL were one of the reasons I became a Ford fan (even though it probably would have happened anyway). I reckon they look great from all angles and looked far nicer than the VR/VS. The VN-VS series, despite being smaller than Falcon, they looked a heap bigger. The back of the VR/VS looks bloated. I never liked the tiny little twin nostril grille either. The twin nostrils looked much nicer on the VT/VX. At least the VR looked a lot better than the VP. That front end was terrible, particularily that big slab of grey plastic that was meant to resemble a grille. In my eyes, the styling of the VP was a step down from the VN. Everybody have their opinions, but I'll just say that the e-series Falcons were always nicer looking than their Holden counterpart.

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Old 19-11-2005, 05:23 PM   #40
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Naw, EA-ED clutch fans sound more like an elevator.

The problems with the Buick donk had nothing to do with LHD, it was the fact it was a FWD engine. Apparently no one in the states wanted to tell Holden, they just wanted them gone.

Just so no one forgets, I'm having a bit of fun. I'd love an LX hatch with a 350 in it, or better yet an LS1. And I tried so hard to get my mother into a VT Clubbie (don't know why, her VT Calais was such a pile of junk).
Old 19-11-2005, 05:38 PM   #41
HQ2VY

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
I like HQ's. They are one of my favourite cars. And I like a lot of older Holdens as well.

i own HQ Kingswood as well. I must admit i would find it very hard to let it go!
Old 19-11-2005, 05:44 PM   #42
Dezza
Parts bin special

Quote:
The problems with the Buick donk had nothing to do with LHD, it was the fact it was a FWD engine. Apparently no one in the states wanted to tell Holden, they just wanted them gone.
My bad.

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Old 19-11-2005, 05:54 PM   #43
EBII Fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why does a vs sound like a vl? My mate had a vl before it caught on fire :. He went and bought a vs, and its sounds exactly the same. WHy?
Old 19-11-2005, 06:49 PM   #44
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC
Personally i like most of the early model holdens ( and owned a HJ GTS along with a HZ GTS ) these were both great cars, and would not say no to another one if it was parked in my drive.
A few very rough pics ( digital from old kodac days ), those from the old school will relate to well and a ford to finish with. ( all pics were taken on a private road / old highway that was shut down and are 20 plus years old now and yep yours truly behind the wheel )

Last edited by XA-Coupe; 20-11-2005 at 06:17 PM.
Old 19-11-2005, 07:19 PM   #45
Bluehoon
Hoon On The Rise

I don't like the new holdens, i love the old ones.

Got a VK EFI 6 (soon to be rebuilt and made a manual - got all parts)

A VH SL/X 308 - manual, L34 torana heads (genuine), 10thou over size bottom end, Holley 650 dbl pump sitting on a edelbrock high rise manifold....:

I find these far more of a pleasure to drive, than any other car. But the T is a thrill....

Not a fan of the chaufcutters they use now.....

These, among the real holdens (FJ-HZ) are real cars...

None of this V thing.

But a warm Ecotec V6 goes real well in a VK too - best conversion i ever did... :

Ford - too heavy and slow for me (BA - what else has changed : )

FGX-XR8 Manual, BFII E-Gas, '11 GSXR 1000 - Love 'em!
FPV Tickford Club of NSW - www.fpvclub.com
Old 19-11-2005, 07:20 PM   #46
HOON69
Banned

ford/holden
both have good points and bad but its pretty funny watching where this thread is heading

(LOCKED) :
Old 19-11-2005, 09:35 PM   #47
Blue Oval Mopar Man
Has Blue Blood

While I dont share SSBUB's love of holden, I do however respect his right to have his own opinion. I realy do dislike many things about holden and hate other things about them ,but they still have a special place in my heart! Some things were done with holdens that were just amazing ! Things like , Buthurst 1979 , Brocky driving one handed across the mountain on lap 161 of the race ,winning by 6 laps , and recording the fastest lap of the race ! It was an awsome display by the car and driver that was the best on the day ! It was the first time at the mountain, and as much as it broke my heart to see Ford getting a thrashing that day , I , at the tender age of 13 knew I was witnessing something special ! I was also at lakeside the day Dick Johnson soundly beat Peter Brock and won his first touring car championship ! I wish I had seen the awsome 1 , 2 finnish at bathurst "77" but i missed that one. While I can admire just about anycar if it is realy a stunning machine , I do find it hard when I see a comodoore , that I know should fit into the catagory with the amount of time and effort that has gone into it ! I mean, its just another one ! For some reason, to me a comodoore is a comodoore ! They all do pretty much the same ol shyte to them , and it looks just like the other 30 sitting in the car park at that very same moment !anyway , thats just some of my view ! I dont mind SSBUB being in here all the time , Some of the time I see him posting realy valid points , other times I just ignore some of his points , and yet other times , I think , Typical comodoore owner ! But it may have something to do with my mood at the time as well ! :

I'm not arrogent , Just superior
Old 20-11-2005, 04:29 PM   #48
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hehehehe no one noticed my love for Holdens(Especially the VLs).

I agree that we are all adults and should keep opened minded about certain stuff.

In all honesty (And this isnt for being a suckup) but for some reason I prefer posting here as opposed to Commodore sites.

EBII Fairmont: I know what you mean ive heard heaps of VSs that sound like VLs actually all the V6s from the VN to th VS sound no different then the old Holden I6s.
Old 21-11-2005, 12:36 PM   #49
cogdoc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

cool, I just wanted to post in a soon to be locked thread. Am I tough?
Old 21-11-2005, 04:02 PM   #50
MYVYSS
Back where I belong

OMG two pages and I dont think (cause I didnt read it all) the words "Piston Slap" havent been mentioned with the Holden Name...shame on you Ford Boys/Girls.....Come on...

I love the sound of Piston Slap in the morning...can you smell that, yep thats a rebuild.....

Craig
Old 21-11-2005, 04:12 PM   #51
SSBUB
SSuper SSpy

i think thats coz most love the older 'H''s it seems!
Old 21-11-2005, 05:22 PM   #52
XplosiveR6
Viper FG XR6 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYVYSS
OMG two pages and I dont think (cause I didnt read it all) the words "Piston Slap" havent been mentioned with the Holden Name...shame on you Ford Boys/Girls.....Come on...

I love the sound of Piston Slap in the morning...can you smell that, yep thats a rebuild.....
another great contribution to this website from MYVYSS.
Old 21-11-2005, 06:17 PM   #53
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Another batch of Frequent Flamer (TM) points for the pair of you, collect sufficient points and you win a holiday
Old 21-11-2005, 11:41 PM   #54
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I saw an LX torana on the weekend with a VN V6 motor in it. Looked great and I reckon it would have gone good too. Then saw on old Ford with an EB injected V8 in it, and that was even better (only cos it was an 8 vs 6, not Ford V Holden).
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
Old 22-11-2005, 02:18 PM   #55
GreenMachine
Mopar/No Car

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Sensational write up about drum brakes. 

Not another one of these threads...

But then again, I'm not horrified enough NOT to post...

I've always loved Holdens. The fact is, a tough car is a tough car, and nothing annoys me more than small minded, one eyed bogans hanging sh#t on a car because it's wearing the wrong badge.

'72 Plymouth Scamp
'80 Courier
'13 Kawasaki ZX14-R
'13 Berlina
'92 Suzuki DR650

If you don't fight - You lose
Old 22-11-2005, 03:16 PM   #56
Hardtopxb
Once PHASED.

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine
Not another one of these threads...

But then again, I'm not horrified enough NOT to post...

I've always loved Holdens. The fact is, a tough car is a tough car, and nothing annoys me more than small minded, one eyed bogans hanging sh#t on a car because it's wearing the wrong badge.
But then again, this is a free country and everyone is entitled to their own opinion, not only yours..
Old 22-11-2005, 04:00 PM   #57
gozza

i was neither
i wasn't even into cars when i got my license...my mate had an eb and for the cost and power(for my price range) is suited me fine.....thats when i decided to join the blue oval army...i don't like au's but i like vt's alot....i hate vn's and vp's with a passion.....love to see a smick vl now and then....its fun to give the opposing models a hard time...but i really couldn't give a toss what you drive...i will murk anyone who drives an excel but thats it haha....if the car has balls and looks good then thats all that matters
Old 22-11-2005, 04:08 PM   #58
Dauphin
Irregular member

When the VT first came out my first impression was a big, long Hyundai Excel. But that was a long time ago. This guy I knew had an EB2 (S Pack he called it, with the red stripe) and I didn't know much about cars back then but the thing sounded amazing and went very hard. I also remember watching his voltage meter bouncing up and down in time with the bass on the techno he was playing (Anhialating Rhythm by Ultra-Sonic) and it had a pretty rough idle as well when sitting at a red light.

Speaking of Excel's, I once went up the country for a weekend in one and it handled all our equipment, all the rugged terrain and open highways with no problem. I was pretty impressed. Great fuel economy as well.

Old 22-11-2005, 04:28 PM   #59
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Not sure if anyone saw top gear about a week ago when jeremy, the stig and one of the guys from the D1 drift series in japan got their hands on a 6.0L Vauxhaul Monaro in the UK??

All i can say is - I WANT ONE. Got drift?
Old 27-02-2006, 10:01 AM   #60
rob_liss_lms10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
HSV are closer to looking like the aftermath of an explosion at the Darth Vader helmet factory.
I'm sorry i just have to use that in my sig hope you dont mind