Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-08-2005, 07:34 PM   #31
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief
Well I wonder now if the Territory will get a V8 now. I heard that Ford didn't want a V8 Territory because it will slow the sales of the Explorer. Now with no Explore the Territory I think should get a V8.
nothing to do with that, the V8 simply does not fit into the territory
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2005, 07:37 PM   #32
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Territory well have the turbo soon, but thats another story..

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2005, 10:16 PM   #33
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

MADNC 8 CAPRA has fitted the BOSS 260 to the Territory. It can be done
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2005, 10:27 PM   #34
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The CAPA Territory V8 had falcon suspension etc.. Its not possible with the current territory suspension since the steering shaft would have to go through where the right bank of the V8 is...
Old 12-08-2005, 10:33 PM   #35
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perana XR8
The CAPA Territory V8 had falcon suspension etc.. Its not possible with the current territory suspension since the steering shaft would have to go through where the right bank of the V8 is...
thanks for the speedy post there Perana.
was just about to point that out:P
Old 13-08-2005, 01:05 PM   #36
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdriver
Re: death of Exploder.

Good riddance.

The last thing Australian streets and roads need is more dopey truck-based 4wds,
Like the Landcruiser, Prado, Pajero, Patrol, Pathfinder?
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2005, 09:06 PM   #37
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNC_8
thanks for the speedy post there Perana.
was just about to point that out:P
Yeah and Ford also said the 4.6 Modular V8 wont fit in to the Falcon.... (only the bigger 5.4 version does! hehe)
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2005, 09:14 PM   #38
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
Yeah and Ford also said the 4.6 Modular V8 wont fit in to the Falcon.... (only the bigger 5.4 version does! hehe)
5.4 and 4.6 are exactly the same size. The only difference is the crankshaft stroke, rod length and piston size. The 4.6 V8 would not fit in the Falcon AU engine bay, as Ford said, but the BA's engine bay was re-designed to fit the 5.4. And the DOHC version ended up being taller then they expected, hence the last minute buldge on XR8 and GT, which turned out to be a nifty styling feature, much to Ford's relief.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2005, 10:21 PM   #39
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The 5.4 has a taller deck height than the 4.6... Hence it is wider and taller than the 4.6 Take a look in a BA and an AU engine bay... even better measure them up... there is little if any difference in width... Piston "size" isnt any different either... bores are exactly the same diameter, im not sure on the skirt size or piston pin height though.
Old 13-08-2005, 10:41 PM   #40
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perana XR8
The 5.4 has a taller deck height than the 4.6... Hence it is wider and taller than the 4.6 Take a look in a BA and an AU engine bay... even better measure them up... there is little if any difference in width... Piston "size" isnt any different either... bores are exactly the same diameter, im not sure on the skirt size or piston pin height though.
By size I meant height, they have identical bore with a longer stroke, the 5.4. AFAIK, the truck block 5.4 is taller deck, but our engines are based on a 4.6 block, as the taller one doesn't fit. Not 100% sure though.

:
Old 14-08-2005, 12:46 AM   #41
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My point was that Ford said the 4.6 wouldn't fit, I know the 5.4 is the same as the 4.6 with a longer stroke, i thought block size was the same. And we saw the AU 300+ coupe with a 4.6 and now BAs with 5.4, Ford also said the V8 wont fit the Territory, and CAPA proves that wrong, we can knit pick, but i am sure if Ford AUs really wanna sell a V8 Territory, they will do it.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2005, 12:40 PM   #42
LUXO_8
windsor user

im pretty sure they didnt mean it "wouldnt fit",
you can fit anything into anything with a grinder and a welder..

what they would have meant was, you cant fit the 4.6 or 5.4 into an AU from underneith (production line remember) as the rails were too close together.

this was changed on the ba, so the engine will now go in from underneith
Old 14-08-2005, 02:37 PM   #43
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
My point was that Ford said the 4.6 wouldn't fit, I know the 5.4 is the same as the 4.6 with a longer stroke, i thought block size was the same. And we saw the AU 300+ coupe with a 4.6 and now BAs with 5.4, Ford also said the V8 wont fit the Territory, and CAPA proves that wrong, we can knit pick, but i am sure if Ford AUs really wanna sell a V8 Territory, they will do it.
The V8 WON'T fit in the Territory unless you transplant an entire V8 Falcon front end into it, like CAPA did. You can't make a CAPA Terror-tory without an XR8 or GT donor car.

:
Old 14-08-2005, 02:39 PM   #44
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
By size I meant height, they have identical bore with a longer stroke, the 5.4. AFAIK, the truck block 5.4 is taller deck, but our engines are based on a 4.6 block, as the taller one doesn't fit. Not 100% sure though.
Nope... our 5.4 Block is identical to the truck block.. In fact the 220 motor is a crate motor from the states that they use in the F-series.
Old 14-08-2005, 10:18 PM   #45
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

EA-BA engine bay is pretty much exactly the same width across the towers, the only modfication that was done to the BA engine bay was the lower part of it so the 5.4 could slot in from underneath on the production line.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2005, 02:47 PM   #46
aualright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdriver
Re: death of Exploder.

Good riddance.

The last thing Australian streets and roads need is more dopey truck-based 4wds, let alone poorly-built dopey truck-based 4wds.
I'm just about to trade in the XR8 for a Limited Explorer after doing plenty of research because l had read similar things to your comments re dopey truck - mainly from Wheels mag who seem to hate anything remotely seppo.

Anyway, after test driving it and having my wife test drive it (she drives an IS200 which is a great handler, albeit underpowered) we were very happy with it. Great on the road and definitely superior to a Prado, Landcruiser or Patrol. Even drives much better than my neighbour's late model Discovery. Off road is another story, but I need space and comfort with some get up, not an dedicated off-roader.

Great value for money and looks much tougher and has more presence than the Territory - not a big fan of small softroaders though.
aualright is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post