Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-03-2016, 02:35 PM   #31
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

Default Re: What is it with trade in's ?

If we all sat here worrying over cars that weve sold for bugger all the place would flood in tears
Stick it on privately for 3 for a fortnight and see what happens maybe?
No bites, take the trade in and enjoy the newer car
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 02-03-2016, 03:25 PM   #32
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if its a good car why trade it on the FG XR6, the FG will be worth $2k in a few years anyway
change over price is $11k then in 5 years you have lost all that money
keep the BA Ghia and it 5 years you might have had to do a few things to keep it reliable like trans, a/c repairs and switches (like all my fords) and you are still in front and it would still be worth $2k in 5 years time
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 02-03-2016, 04:30 PM   #33
buggo
[BU66OS]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebv8 View Post
if its a good car why trade it on the FG XR6, the FG will be worth $2k in a few years anyway
change over price is $11k then in 5 years you have lost all that money
keep the BA Ghia and it 5 years you might have had to do a few things to keep it reliable like trans, a/c repairs and switches (like all my fords) and you are still in front and it would still be worth $2k in 5 years time
Yeah pretty much this. There's a gap in price between the two cars at the moment but each year it'll be less and less.
Lets say in 5 year the FG is worth $2k after you got it for an $11k change over. That's $9k lost over 260 weeks, which is $34.60 every week for the next 5 years.

It's up to you if that extra $35 a week is worth having the FG over the BA. If it is then go trade the old girl in. If not, enjoy the Ghia.

BA XR8 Manual
buggo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2016, 05:31 PM   #34
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggo View Post
Yeah pretty much this. There's a gap in price between the two cars at the moment but each year it'll be less and less.
Lets say in 5 year the FG is worth $2k after you got it for an $11k change over. That's $9k lost over 260 weeks, which is $34.60 every week for the next 5 years.

It's up to you if that extra $35 a week is worth having the FG over the BA. If it is then go trade the old girl in. If not, enjoy the Ghia.
$34.60 a week I wish ... That's nothing, my brand new August build 2014 FG MKII XR6 Turbo in mint condition which I bought then for $39,000 is worth just $20,000 as a trade in going by RedBook .... So in 18 months, its lost $19,000 which equates to $243 per week of ownership!

I think there are many many forum users here that just don't realize how quickly even performance Falcons are depreciating and have elusions as to what their pride and joy is really worth!

So to all those who want to "mothball" their FG - FGX muscle variant and cash in on it in 20 - 30 years.... Keep dreaming!... Just drive it everyday... And put a smile on your face each day and enjoy life!

Last edited by GO FURTHER; 02-03-2016 at 05:54 PM.
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 02-03-2016, 05:38 PM   #35
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAXRSIX View Post
$34.60 a week I wish ... That's nothing, my brand new August build 2014 FG MKII XR6 Turbo in mint condition which I bought then for $39,000 is worth just $20,000 as a trade in going by RedBook .... So in 18 months, its lost $19,000 which equates to $243 per week of ownership!

I think there are many many forum users here that just don't realize how quickly even performance Falcons are depreciating and have elusions as to what their pride and joy is really worth!

So to all those who want to "mothball" their FG - FGX muscle variant and cash in on it in 20 - 30 years.... Keep dreaming!
Plus insurance,registration.tyres ,servicing etc probably means $300 wk
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2016, 06:20 PM   #36
Blue Shadow
R.I.P. Maggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
Plus insurance,registration.tyres ,servicing etc probably means $300 wk
You cant count thats running cost nothing to do with the value of the car
Blue Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2016, 06:46 PM   #37
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAXRSIX View Post
To be fair, I think most of us are guilty of overvaluing our cars. As a fellow B-series owner along with the OP, I was quite shocked at what the trade-in value for the OP's BA Ghia is. I would've thought it'd be quite a bit higher (somewhere in the vicinity of $3,000 to $3,500, especially being the top of the range Ghia that runs well).

But this just adds weight to my case for keeping my BF (despite pressure to sell it) - there's no way I'd be able to get what I really want for it in the market.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2016, 07:44 PM   #38
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interesting stuff, seems a market a long term buyer who loves the product could do quite well in. For Eg best low k late BF XR6 utes I can see advertise in the 14-16 range, but I bet there's a whole lot, a lot cheaper (redbook says 5,600 to 7,500 trade in)
Old 02-03-2016, 08:19 PM   #39
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well I don't know about the rest of Aust re trade in prices but here in Tas all Ford dealerships are owned by 2 companies and there is only 1 Holden dealer.This means that we can't just drive a couple of suburbs away to get a bit of a comparison.We can travel to Melb but even if the deal is better we have the cost of getting vehicles across the most expensive shipping lane in the world
Old 02-03-2016, 08:26 PM   #40
Blue Shadow
R.I.P. Maggie

Quote:
Well I don't know about the rest of Aust re trade in prices but here in Tas all Ford dealerships are owned by 2 companies and there is only 1 Holden dealer.This means that we can't just drive a couple of suburbs away to get a bit of a comparison.We can travel to Melb but even if the deal is better we have the cost of getting vehicles across the most expensive shipping lane in the world
What does it cost to get the boat from Tas to Vic?
Old 02-03-2016, 08:37 PM   #41
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You can't just get the car put on the ship.The cheapest generally is about $120 for yourself in a recliner seat plus about$90 for the car?If you want a cabin prices are about$200 in a 4 person shared cabin up to $400 if you want a cabin by yourself.
Old 02-03-2016, 08:55 PM   #42
Blue Shadow
R.I.P. Maggie

Quote:
You can't just get the car put on the ship.The cheapest generally is about $120 for yourself in a recliner seat plus about$90 for the car?If you want a cabin prices are about$200 in a 4 person shared cabin up to $400 if you want a cabin by yourself.
It all adds up doesn't it, then theres the return, how long is the trip one way
Old 02-03-2016, 09:00 PM   #43
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You have to be there at least an hour before,then an 11 hour trip plus probably an hour to get off and through security.But bloody hell once you are on this side of the strait you are in a great place,great scenery best fresh food in the world and generally a pretty friendly bunch of people
3 users like this post:
Old 02-03-2016, 09:06 PM   #44
Blue Shadow
R.I.P. Maggie

Quote:
You have to be there at least an hour before,then an 11 hour trip plus probably an hour to get off and through security.But bloody hell once you are on this side of the strait you are in a great place,great scenery best fresh food in the world and generally a pretty friendly bunch of people
Yeah been there a few times, flew though , i love the place. However it does add up when you are trying to do a deal in Vic. I feel for you
Old 02-03-2016, 10:04 PM   #45
mechanic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Did the Tassie ferry trip last year, excellent. Agree totally with your comment re Tasmania and after this summer here in Cairns I wish I'd stayed there.
We have good seafood here in FNQ but the oysters and seafood at the little fish shop at the Gulch at Bicheno are equal to if not better than anything I've had here.
Loved the whole ferry experience and can see why there's so many repeat visitors.
mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2016, 01:06 AM   #46
barrys123
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Don't they reckon that money in bank deposits doubles every 7 years on average.If that is the case your $7500 ph3 would have to be worth about $400k now.Some really top examples probably are worth more but the average example would be lucky to get much more than $200k
What bank do you have your money, you obviously don't know the interest their offering today.
barrys123 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2016, 07:58 AM   #47
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm getting the new car itch, I think getting a trade in appraisal will be just what the doctor ordered as it may bring me back to reality!

Wonder where the new sweet spot is in keeping cars if you aren't going to run them into the ground. I almost think it's worth trading in around 60,000km as values seem to fall off a cliff once you get past that

Last edited by Brazen; 03-03-2016 at 08:03 AM.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2016, 08:13 AM   #48
Blue Shadow
R.I.P. Maggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrys123 View Post
What bank do you have your money, you obviously don't know the interest their offering today.
So let me get this straight, they do pay interest
Old 03-03-2016, 08:32 AM   #49
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrys123 View Post
I,m quoting rough figures over the last 45 years since ph3 HO,s were being bought new for about$7500.If you look at historical interest rates you will see they fluctuated from 7-8% up to 12-13% until the last 6-7 years
Old 03-03-2016, 09:37 AM   #50
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Commodore or Falcon fleet specials lose 35 % as they drive of the showroom floor ( from new price to trade in price). Best performers after 3 years in retained values return around 75% and after 5 years around 60%. Lowest performers after 5 years are as low as 39%.
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2016, 09:39 AM   #51
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Constant helpful advice and step by step guides in easy to understand format with pictures. 

Back in 2008 I traded a 16 year old EB2 Fairmont (in pretty good shape) for $1000 on a BA XR6, which was after a "no thanks" from two yards. I felt like I did fine seeing as I bought the EB2 for $2000 at auction 4 years prior. The dealer immediately passed the EB2 to the "lower end car yard" next door and they listed it at $2000 . It sold within a few weeks, so they managed to make their $1k on the flip.

Now, 8 years down the track the car market is even more diverse and tougher than it has ever been. Long, long gone are the days of a weighted trade-in price on a new car. Dealers these days are looking to make money on anything, whether it's new or used or a trade. If a trade will not net a decent return or sell promptly, they won't even bother.

Note that I still have the BA XR6..... the longer I hang onto it, the more value for money it provides.
EB# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-03-2016, 11:28 AM   #52
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep market changed. In the old days used cars competed against other used cars, now they compete against used cars AND new cars as new cars are so affordable and really good.

My last Commodore a SV6 wagon, I sold at end of lease at 55,000km and got really good money for it for a really good cost of ownership. My FGII ute with 130,000 km seem to lose more value going from 50,000km to 100,000km than it did from brand new to 50,000km.
Old 03-03-2016, 12:00 PM   #53
mechanic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's called consumerism.
We're constantly lectured about " growth ", there can't be growth without manufacturing figures increasing so it's better to have 10 people buying 10 new cars rather than 5 buying new cars and the other 5 using the SH vehicles. We're now caught in a vicious cycle of recycling anything older than about 5 years.
Seems to me as though prices and costs and value and quality of items is irrelevant, just use it, buy a new one and repeat.
mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-03-2016, 12:47 PM   #54
barrys123
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've got BF RTV, it's immaculate only 136,000 klms canopy, and heaps of extras, to me it' unreplaceable to a dealer I would only get $3,000 on another vehicle jacked up by a similar amount, so am just going to hang on to it as there is really nothing out there that I want.
barrys123 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2016, 12:48 PM   #55
Olbucko
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was offered only $2500 trade in for my SY AWD Ghia, (it does have 270K on the clock), by a Ford dealer on a new FGX XR6, so I'm giving it to my Son instead who might benefit from care I have taken of it over the last 9 years. He was far more interested in my XM Futura, but he's not getting that!
Old 03-03-2016, 01:12 PM   #56
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanic View Post
It's called consumerism.
We're constantly lectured about " growth ", there can't be growth without manufacturing figures increasing so it's better to have 10 people buying 10 new cars rather than 5 buying new cars and the other 5 using the SH vehicles. We're now caught in a vicious cycle of recycling anything older than about 5 years.
Seems to me as though prices and costs and value and quality of items is irrelevant, just use it, buy a new one and repeat.
This needs to be re-quoted for truth.
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2016, 01:13 PM   #57
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes it's a bit crazy.

I remember in the 90s everyone saying it's crazy trading in cars every 3-4 years. But with the seismic change in the market, it's almost a false economy keeping cars any longer nowadays.

In hindsight should of looked at trading the ute on a newer one at 50,000km as I don't think I would if been worse off by keeping the current one as cars seem to be worth nothing once they start to head to 100k km.

Thing is it's not a good thing for the world to have everyone buying new things all the time.

Or maybe next time get a auto diesel 4x4 dual cab which keep their value nearly forever
Old 03-03-2016, 01:35 PM   #58
kaniSS
BIG MEMBER ;)

You won't like hearing this but other than us fans no one wants an old BA or AU.
Old 03-03-2016, 05:50 PM   #59
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That's cool, I like the contrarian trades.
Old 03-03-2016, 06:04 PM   #60
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen View Post
I'm getting the new car itch, I think getting a trade in appraisal will be just what the doctor ordered as it may bring me back to reality!
Hmmm, getting the car itch as well. Off topic: Instead of new, it has been interesting to look through cars 2002-10 or so, and see which have 'aged' the best. Today I noted clean AU2 interior has stood the test of time, the VY-VZ interior feels more premium than most BA-F and VE-VE2 in the yards, and FG seems a quantum leap on predecessor.

Drivetrain wise, the Ford 6 and ZF seems a pretty sweet spot from this era (milkshake notwithstanding), either turbo or NA. VY iron block is much preferred to the later alloy 6's.
Late BF seems to be a good time too, as more leathers/leather wheel/better body kits/limited edition runs were thrown in. Some leathers have not aged as well as the cloth trim. The late BF leather wheel, shared in our Territory, looks new in a lot of cases. The FG Anniversary models have a great interior too.

On consumerism: it seems we are in an era of deflation and overcapacity. I did note quite a few extinct yards today. These kind of conditions always swing, and one day scarcity (of product) will rule again.