Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-12-2015, 11:19 PM   #31
zipping
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Uber is illegal in Victoria...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoDog68 View Post
It is a service that disrupts regulated industry. Say you buy a bus and decide to drive around and charge people for your service but don't comply with any of the regulations .
It always amuses me that the government/slash those that support regulations have so many of the public hoodwinked into thinking we REQUIRE regulations.

Spent 20 years in the taxi industry

Regulated fares check
Driver accreditation check
Uniforms check
Color check
roadworthy check
Cameras check
boot release check
Taxi services commission check
Taxi and hire care services Act check
Assigning licenses check
High Licence costs check
Industry geared to look after minorities check (every disabled group is given money to pursue late taxis)

FFS we are driving people from point A to point B its not that *** complicated.

Over regulation has killed services and yet some people will defend regulations to the death.

We vote for the idiot governments who condition us that regulations are good. The governments have been milking the industry for all its worth while protecting some players.

Even though it will cost me it is good for the public.
zipping is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 04-12-2015, 11:23 PM   #32
zipping
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by msman View Post
there is a new license test which must be sat by any new drivers or those who have held a license for less than 5 years.
To amuse myself I actually did the Hire car test this week.

5 questions on how to interact with transgender people. 2 on Aboriginals and 1 on a gay couple in 55 questions. Nothing about where Hospitals were or how to maintain a car or anything on how to finance your operation or even max driving hours. Were questions about if you were sleepy what to do etc.

Poor test I thought was social engineering at its best.
Old 04-12-2015, 11:29 PM   #33
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipping View Post
To amuse myself I actually did the Hire car test this week.

5 questions on how to interact with transgender people. 2 on Aboriginals and 1 on a gay couple in 55 questions. Nothing about where Hospitals were or how to maintain a car or anything on how to finance your operation or even max driving hours. Were questions about if you were sleepy what to do etc.

Poor test I thought was social engineering at its best.
Compare that to trying to get The Knowledge. Just a joke really
sprintman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 04-12-2015, 11:56 PM   #34
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The article is wrong and so are many people in this thread.

Über is not illegal in Victoria. If you have a hire car licence and are in a licenced hire car then uber x is legal.

The problem is when the person who is a uber driver has neither. (Vic only)

Also people who say TAC won't cover them, may find TAC will actually
Cover them. You can be covered in a unregistered motor bike unlicensed and have an accident on a public road or reserve.

With comprehensive insurance most companies will not cover the car at all, as it is used as a hire car.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2015, 12:06 AM   #35
Jack960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Undercover people (can't remember who they work for) order uber cars and fine the drivers when they show up. However uber is paying for the fines the driver receives. Heard that first hand from an uber driver.

As xisled said, TAC will cover pretty much anything road related however they can reduce the percentage of money you will receive based on many factors.
Jack960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2015, 12:56 AM   #36
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jastel View Post
Remember one day you will get old and need the help of a taxi driver with your groceries and bags.
When I get old there will be no taxi only UBER....

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2015, 01:30 AM   #37
stig_3754

Quote:
most people have been pulled in by the poor pr of taxi's and polished stuff from uber.
i.e.
uber drivers take home 80% of the fare
bull****
driver gets 80% and must then pay for fuel/rego/maintenance and the car itself
taxi drivers in vic get 55%, car owner 45%, that 55% percent is purely theres only tax/gst to pay, all car related expenses are paid by the owner

your safer with uber
how?
driver is not accredited so no background/police check, no medical to pass
vehicle is not licensed so no insurance vehicle/property/tac and no yearly roadworthy or even routine suprise inspections from the taxi commission, no security camera in car, max car age (taxi is 6.5yr then off the road)

taxi industry is ****ed because to provide the service legally we pay $24K a year in license cost, $2700 for rego, $2000 insurance, then the associated cost to link up with a provider that relays jobs.

got no probs with uber, bring more in but either they pay the same costs that are currently in law or get rid of the costs for all.

also the $40K hire car license fee mentioned above is a one-off to purchase it with ongoing yearly linces fees being a few hundred.
On the contrary, as part of their application, Uber drivers DO go through Police/Background checks, and vehicles need to pass inspection.
stig_3754 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2015, 09:34 AM   #38
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It always amuses me that the government/slash those that support regulations have so many of the public hoodwinked into thinking we REQUIRE regulations.

Spent 20 years in the taxi industry

Regulated fares check
Driver accreditation check
Uniforms check
Color check
roadworthy check
Cameras check
boot release check
Taxi services commission check
Taxi and hire care services Act check
Assigning licenses check
High Licence costs check
Industry geared to look after minorities check (every disabled group is given money to pursue late taxis)

FFS we are driving people from point A to point B its not that *** complicated.

Over regulation has killed services and yet some people will defend regulations to the death.

We vote for the idiot governments who condition us that regulations are good. The governments have been milking the industry for all its worth while protecting some players.

Even though it will cost me it is good for the public.
So you would prefer completely unregulated fares , no cameras , no driver accreditation , no uniform or a roadworthy car and don't worry about disabled people either ?
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2015, 10:11 AM   #39
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
taxi industry is ****ed because to provide the service legally we pay $24K a year in license cost, $2700 for rego, $2000 insurance, then the associated cost to link up with a provider that relays jobs.

got no probs with uber, bring more in but either they pay the same costs that are currently in law or get rid of the costs for all.

also the $40K hire car license fee mentioned above is a one-off to purchase it with ongoing yearly linces fees being a few hundred.
How the hell does govco justify charging these costs??? What services does it provide that are so expensive? None and I get the frustration that owner drivers experience as a result. I have no gripe with the taxi industry, my gripe is purely with govco and their extortionist fees and over regulation.

Then again, this is but just another symptom of a corrupt and degenerate institution (govco).

Last edited by Trump; 05-12-2015 at 10:19 AM.
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2015, 10:18 AM   #40
zipping
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoDog68 View Post
So you would prefer completely unregulated fares , no cameras , no driver accreditation , no uniform or a roadworthy car and don't worry about disabled people either ?
Look where its got us.

Do you think that the industry didn't function until these things came in?

All I'm saying is that regulation hasn't delivered a decent service to the public and it has become completely over complicated when the service is just A to B.

Regulations add unnecessary costs that the end user in the vast majority of cases couldn't care less about.

Obviously a roadworthy vehicle is a must but I would debate that mandatory yearly roadworthies have done anything to improve the standard of vehicles compared to before it was introduced.

The way forward for the taxi industry is to go back to a 1 car 1 driver model and banish all the people taking a cut out of the industry.

However, there are too many vested interests.
2 users like this post:
Old 05-12-2015, 10:25 AM   #41
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Look where its got us.

Do you think that the industry didn't function until these things came in?

All I'm saying is that regulation hasn't delivered a decent service to the public and it has become completely over complicated when the service is just A to B.

Regulations add unnecessary costs that the end user in the vast majority of cases couldn't care less about.

Obviously a roadworthy vehicle is a must but I would debate that mandatory yearly roadworthies have done anything to improve the standard of vehicles compared to before it was introduced.

The way forward for the taxi industry is to go back to a 1 car 1 driver model and banish all the people taking a cut out of the industry.

However, there are too many vested interests.
With your experience in the industry you can offer solutions and 1 driver 1 car seems like a good one - someone who would take pride in their business and deliver quality service .
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-12-2015, 10:37 AM   #42
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'll use it. Pick me up in this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kpEmcuYXak
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 05-12-2015, 01:04 PM   #43
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia View Post
How about TAC insurance if a passenger is injured in an accident, considering the vehicle was privately registered?

And being privately registered would be a sticking point with Vicroads.

Easy to see the legal problems, here in Vic anyway.
Car is registered, If you are in accident TAC will still apply.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2015, 01:24 PM   #44
66 coupe
around the place

copy and paste of a comment i made on 9 news facebook page:

Just a question for all the pro uber people. How would you take it if you brought a house for 200,300,400 thousand dollars, then all these other people came out and built $10 houses around you. Then they stand out the front with their lollies and water while your working your *** off trying to pay off and maintain your house, as well as take an income, pay tax and put Money aside for super. Well that's exactly what the government and uber are doing to taxi plate owners/owner drivers. Their 'houses' are worth nothing. Have a think about it

theres more to it than what the public see....
take a look at taxi plate prices over the past x years.
Old 05-12-2015, 01:45 PM   #45
LoudPipes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Taxi industry and in particular the big almost monopoly player has treated the consumer with disdain and Karma has arrived.

I feel sorry for those caught up in something not necessarily of their own doing but don’t blame Uber, blame the Taxi Industry.
Old 05-12-2015, 01:46 PM   #46
LoudPipes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66 coupe View Post
So are you saying the public isn't smart enough to know they have been taken for a ride by the Taxi industry?

No one cares how it was made, just how good the product it is for them.
Old 05-12-2015, 01:56 PM   #47
tonys6550

Quote:

Just a question for all the pro uber people. How would you take it if you brought a house for 200,300,400 thousand dollars, then all these other people came out and built $10 houses around you. Then they stand out the front with their lollies and water while your working your *** off trying to pay off and maintain your house, as well as take an income, pay tax and put Money aside for super. Well that's exactly what the government and uber are doing to taxi plate owners/owner drivers. Their 'houses' are worth nothing. Have a think about it

At the end of the day, it's all about customer service mate.

Complacency and greed has/will be the undoing of the taxi industry in Australia, customer service fell by the wayside I'm afraid.

In business, you snooze you lose. Uber has recognised this and has taken full advantage with it's business smarts and is succeeding in customer service worldwide.

No one is disputing your right to make a living like anybody else.
tonys6550 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-12-2015, 02:05 PM   #48
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

When i pay for a service I expect to get what I paid for.
For a taxi, I expect a clean well maintained car, a driver who knows how to drive, knows where to go without me needing to use my phone GPS and a driver that takes pride in their own health and hygiene

Unfortunately my limited experienced with taxis have been expensive, smelly and pretty much instructing the driver where to go.
The latter going from Collins st in Melbourne CBD to Plummer St in Port Melbourne. Not only did I have to instruct the driver how to get there but he charged $35 for the privilege.

These days I avoid them where possible, either car pool, drive myself or use PT.
For airport I save $175 and drive there myself, use the offsite parking and no hassles.

I don't use UBER but i welcome them here to force the TAXI industry to improve their drivers, their car fleet and their general attitude. Just seeing taxi driver responses to Uber drivers is like watching rabid cavemen.

Competition is in every industry, get used to it.
Old 05-12-2015, 02:24 PM   #49
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:

I agree in principle what you are saying but the Taxi industry has created their own problems as to why people are shunning them, until the taxi industry cleans up their own act they can get stuffed as far as I'm concerned.
2 users like this post:
Old 05-12-2015, 02:31 PM   #50
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempted View Post
If you have an accident how can they prove or even know that you were working as an Uber driver? You can just say you were giving a friend/work colleague etc a lift.
+1, how does any reasonable person distinguish between taking a passenger or taking a customer? The physical act of getting in a car and going from point A to point B is the same?
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2015, 02:37 PM   #51
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
When i pay for a service I expect to get what I paid for.
For a taxi, I expect a clean well maintained car, a driver who knows how to drive, knows where to go without me needing to use my phone GPS and a driver that takes pride in their own health and hygiene

Unfortunately my limited experienced with taxis have been expensive, smelly and pretty much instructing the driver where to go.
The latter going from Collins st in Melbourne CBD to Plummer St in Port Melbourne. Not only did I have to instruct the driver how to get there but he charged $35 for the privilege.

These days I avoid them where possible, either car pool, drive myself or use PT.
For airport I save $175 and drive there myself, use the offsite parking and no hassles.

I don't use UBER but i welcome them here to force the TAXI industry to improve their drivers, their car fleet and their general attitude. Just seeing taxi driver responses to Uber drivers is like watching rabid cavemen.

Competition is in every industry, get used to it.
With Ford closing down and my strong dislike for being driven around in a Camry Taxi will probably lead me to being a Uber customer, regardless of legal or illegal.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2015, 04:14 PM   #52
66 coupe
around the place

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
+1, how does any reasonable person distinguish between taking a passenger or taking a customer? The physical act of getting in a car and going from point A to point B is the same?
uber app/servers tracks the driver vs car vs passenger ID
same goes for when the ATO want a list of all uber drivers and their income.

uber drivers are being taken or will be taken for a ride also - just wait and see
Old 05-12-2015, 04:17 PM   #53
66 coupe
around the place

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu View Post
I agree in principle what you are saying but the Taxi industry has created their own problems as to why people are shunning them, until the taxi industry cleans up their own act they can get stuffed as far as I'm concerned.
well look at their hourly rate after expenses. due to this they are only going to really get a certain criteria of workers arent they.
and bring on uber theres less work for them so its only going to get worse.

uber drivers will eventually / and some even have, work out its not worth doing (read the whirlpool threads if your bored).
Then how long until they increase their rates to come upto the other taxi brands rates?
Old 05-12-2015, 04:33 PM   #54
msman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stig_3754 View Post
On the contrary, as part of their application, Uber drivers DO go through Police/Background checks, and vehicles need to pass inspection.
so uber driver does police check
vehicle has what check?

for taxi
driver has police check, medical check, driving test
vehicle must be max of 6.5 yrs old frmo date of manufacture, must have yearly rwc, pays rego to do commercial work, pays insurance
msman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2015, 04:53 PM   #55
msman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

can people understand that the person who owns the license or taxi or just drives does not set the rules.

if we could we would get rid of half the rules they are not needed, but only govco can.

taxi license buy now 250K+, was 530K until the mates of the govco got out and suddenly the rug was pulled to drop the price.
these were under 100K in the mid ninties. so 5x their value in under 20yrs
there are even reports of pollies who bought licenses when they were cheap laws were changed and they suddenly had the worlds best investment.

uber is not trying to shake up the taxi industry.
they are a cashed up international company who is simply muscling the locals with no regard for local laws, if you can't understand that or do not care thats your choice.
msman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-12-2015, 05:09 PM   #56
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
well look at their hourly rate after expenses. due to this they are only going to really get a certain criteria of workers arent they.
and bring on uber theres less work for them so its only going to get worse.

uber drivers will eventually / and some even have, work out its not worth doing (read the whirlpool threads if your bored).
Then how long until they increase their rates to come upto the other taxi brands rates?
To be quite honest I was disgusted with the taxi industry well before Uber came along, in fact I was using hire car services instead of Taxis for a good reason, as I stated the Taxi industry can only blame themselves for the mess they are in.
2 users like this post:
Old 05-12-2015, 07:53 PM   #57
kennyboy

What most people here seem to be saying is because of a bad exprience or 2 or because they believe in unregulated private enterprise that there is no need to license gas installers, electricians etc, dont licence drivers either, just let everything sort itself out!?!?
Old 05-12-2015, 09:04 PM   #58
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

For all the negative stories on here only 1 person has said he complained. Good for him.
Complain loudly to the taxi company and the state transport authority, and follow it up...we don't want these grubs in the industry either!
If you fear for your safety order the driver to stop and let you out...if he doesn't its kidnapping.

However during the mining boom while all the "workers" were raking the big $$$ in who was left to drive the taxis?? That's right the "new arrivals" whose English and ethics are definitely not up to our standards. BUT making standards too high means no drivers at all, taxis parked and people walking, you are not going to get rocket scientists and supermodels driving taxis, EVER...believe me I have tried!
No one I know grew up wanting to be a cab driver, me included. Not one person EVER has taken up my offer of a job...the dole is far easier and often pays more.
For every bad driver story you guys have, I will have a bad customer story...
It is a fact of life we forget the 90% of normal drivers/fares and tell the world about the bad ones.

For those who say tough luck about plate values and try to equate it with the "old video store" that technology surpassed, its not the same at all...the video store was NEVER forced to buy an EXCLUSIVE LICENSE from the government to operate in its industry.
It's more similar to the government resuming your house to build a freeway on it.
There is no choice in the matter from either side...it is just what a growing society HAS to do if it wants uber or the freeway.

Taxis take credit cards (and cash to), transport disabled people, have proper insurance and registration, have apps to book if you like, or a call centre if you want that, SMS on approach, have safety cameras which cant be tampered with (ie put your drunken antics up on youtube), are GPS tracked which CANT be turned off by switching off a phone. About the only thing uber do better is marketing....like most marketing the truth suffers but.

The 10% Cabcharge credit card fee upsets many people, in the beginning it was need to develop the new mobile eftpos technology, now it should be capped at 3 or 5% or something. BUT uber take 20 - 25% for doing exactly the same transaction AND then ships the profits overseas, making us all pay more tax!! If you don't want to pay the 10% you can use cash, if you don't want to pay ubers 25% you walk!

Uber type companies are targeting my business at the moment, if the government rolls over, ignores its own rules and regulations and does nothing YOURS may be next.
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 05-12-2015, 09:28 PM   #59
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyboy View Post
What most people here seem to be saying is because of a bad exprience or 2 or because they believe in unregulated private enterprise that there is no need to license gas installers, electricians etc, dont licence drivers either, just let everything sort itself out!?!?
No what people are saying is if you treat them badly for long enough they will eventually look for or welcome almost any alternative.

Being unlicensed in the field of gas fitters and such is different as none of us would like to be in a car with an unlicensed driver.

Uber is an uncredited company which doesn’t worry users in the way it would if they were using unlicensed drivers.

And this is not about people having a bad experience or two, there is enough documentation to indicate this is an ongoing business envirnoment that doesn't give the customer what they expect.

I’m not sure what side of the fence I’m on in this argument but I definitely know the Taxi Industry has had their chance and I don’t support them.

Last edited by Express; 05-12-2015 at 09:47 PM.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 05-12-2015, 09:37 PM   #60
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jastel View Post
For all the negative stories on here only 1 person has said he complained. Good for him.
Complain loudly to the taxi company and the state transport authority, and follow it up...we don't want these grubs in the industry either!
If you fear for your safety order the driver to stop and let you out...if he doesn't its kidnapping.

However during the mining boom while all the "workers" were raking the big $$$ in who was left to drive the taxis?? That's right the "new arrivals" whose English and ethics are definitely not up to our standards. BUT making standards too high means no drivers at all, taxis parked and people walking, you are not going to get rocket scientists and supermodels driving taxis, EVER...believe me I have tried!
No one I know grew up wanting to be a cab driver, me included. Not one person EVER has taken up my offer of a job...the dole is far easier and often pays more.
For every bad driver story you guys have, I will have a bad customer story...
It is a fact of life we forget the 90% of normal drivers/fares and tell the world about the bad ones.

For those who say tough luck about plate values and try to equate it with the "old video store" that technology surpassed, its not the same at all...the video store was NEVER forced to buy an EXCLUSIVE LICENSE from the government to operate in its industry.
It's more similar to the government resuming your house to build a freeway on it.
There is no choice in the matter from either side...it is just what a growing society HAS to do if it wants uber or the freeway.

Taxis take credit cards (and cash to), transport disabled people, have proper insurance and registration, have apps to book if you like, or a call centre if you want that, SMS on approach, have safety cameras which cant be tampered with (ie put your drunken antics up on youtube), are GPS tracked which CANT be turned off by switching off a phone. About the only thing uber do better is marketing....like most marketing the truth suffers but.

The 10% Cabcharge credit card fee upsets many people, in the beginning it was need to develop the new mobile eftpos technology, now it should be capped at 3 or 5% or something. BUT uber take 20 - 25% for doing exactly the same transaction AND then ships the profits overseas, making us all pay more tax!! If you don't want to pay the 10% you can use cash, if you don't want to pay ubers 25% you walk!

Uber type companies are targeting my business at the moment, if the government rolls over, ignores its own rules and regulations and does nothing YOURS may be next.
These are all valid points Jastel, and point to one thing: govco needs to take a hike and leave the taxi/hire/Uber services to their own devices. Only the best of the respective services will be left as the passengers vote with their feet.
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post