Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Are owners who drive and value old cars seen as bottom feeders and giggled at?
Yes 7 10.14%
No 19 27.54%
This thread is stupid but I like the Potato! 43 62.32%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 02:36 PM   #31
HULK_I6T
Banned

Default Re: HULK FRIDAY: Are we the only ones who value old cars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83 View Post
Crap.
I buy nice stuff cause I like it not to impress anyone. This applies to everything I buy. Couldn't give a flying who ha what ppl think of me.
Plenty of people buy a nice set of wheels for their car. Isnt that to impress others?

How do you enjoy the look of a set of wheels when your driving the car?

everyone does things to be seen and impress.

But non ford/GM people have a very different opinion. They just dont rate old cars like we do.

A few weeks back Im driving along with a mate in his C63, saw what looked to be a XA GTHO Phase 4 (it was a replica)... I appreciated the car and thought it was nice.

My mate said, look at that old bomb, noisy, stinks and slow. Then punched past him in the C63. Thats what most people are saying when they see old cars on the road.
Old 12-09-2014, 02:38 PM   #32
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA2BA View Post
Thats cause its in the carpark and people can be ******, better to have an old banger to and from work thats well maintained and enjoy the brand new BMW on weekends and after work.

Knew a manager who drove a piece of crap car as they parked at the train station, they drive a very very nice Audi otherwise.
I could understand if the car park was full, but there is around 60 spots and only about 10 of us drive to work. (cost around $160.00 a fortnight to park in the building. In my spot that I have claimed in a year and half I have had 1 person park next to me.

The spot is secured under the building with massive steel gates, plus you need to go through a set of boom gates at front of building, so the car park is just for employees.
Old 12-09-2014, 02:39 PM   #33
GT450
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They are ridiculous, untrue generalizations with little to no factual basis.
Old 12-09-2014, 02:43 PM   #34
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_I6T View Post
Plenty of people buy a nice set of wheels for their car. Isnt that to impress others?

How do you enjoy the look of a set of wheels when your driving the car?

everyone does things to be seen and impress.

But non ford/GM people have a very different opinion. They just dont rate old cars like we do.

A few weeks back Im driving along with a mate in his C63, saw what looked to be a XA GTHO Phase 4 (it was a replica)... I appreciated the car and thought it was nice.

My mate said, look at that old bomb, noisy, stinks and slow. Then punched past him in the C63. Thats what most people are saying when they see old cars on the road.
no they dont
stop painting everyone with the same brush
youve just basically said that every person who does something to their car does it to impress other people

PMSL

cmon

just because you might does not mean that everyone is worried about other people looking at you and getting some sort of jealous feeling or them thinking you look fully sick
2 users like this post:
Old 12-09-2014, 02:44 PM   #35
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You dont see people buying old Audi cars or old Mercedes or old BMWs.. Its either a new model or your a pretender or a bottomfeeder in society.
And this is where you lost all credibility.

Hang on... what credibility?
2 users like this post:
Old 12-09-2014, 02:53 PM   #36
Grippy
Racing improves the breed

Quote:
everyone cares what other people think.. why buy a nice shirt or have a haircut? Its not for any purpose but to look good to others. you could buy the worst cheapest shirt if its for the purpose of clothing yourself, sme with a haircut. Do it yourself in front of the mirror if you didnt care what other people think.

Same with cars, they are a status thing. like buying a nice watch etc etc etc..

The non Ford/GMH people do frown upon driving old bangers on the road.
If I cared what people thought, I wouldn't have bought an AU Falcon.

1964 Mini Cooper S Historic Group Nb Touring car

2024 Subaru Outback Touring XT

Victorian Hill Climb Championship
3 users like this post:
Old 12-09-2014, 02:58 PM   #37
351@GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquilized View Post
And this is where you lost all credibility.

Hang on... what credibility?
more like everytime he clicks this....

This user likes this post:
Old 12-09-2014, 02:59 PM   #38
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What kind of "bottomfeeder" would drive any of these?

Old 12-09-2014, 03:24 PM   #39
fgpsi
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Man I can't drive the GT without people drooling over it. It's actually a problem for me. Too much attention.

What's this guy on about ?
Old 12-09-2014, 03:26 PM   #40
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

Quote:
he/she is driving an old clanger, driving a new car is a status thing and can be a little demeaning to be driving an old car. People would think "geez they didnt really make much of themselves did they"

Also if your in a senior position at work, do you feel a little embarrassed driving an old E series or AU falcon into the carpark when even the admin girl drives a new car?

I think the majority of people if in a management position would probably have the new and the old.
Old 12-09-2014, 03:27 PM   #41
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That type of old Benz is exactly what was I was thinking of when I posted earlier in here.

Hulk, you say some nice rims are put on the car to impress others, and they cannnot be enjoyed by the driver/owner - do you have no photos of your car? do you never enjoy walking up to your car and admire its lines and its presentation?
2 users like this post:
Old 12-09-2014, 03:33 PM   #42
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

This is all these threads deserve.

Old 12-09-2014, 04:03 PM   #43
crainger

I worked with a woman who stopped talking to a co-worker who bought a Grand Voyager. She also commented on a guy driving a restored Mustang claiming "Why would you drive a piece of junk like that?" It was an amazing car and probably worth a small fortune.

She was into Audi and BMW. Turns out her partner at the time was a smash repairing doing dodgy things with Luxury write offs.
2 users like this post:
Old 12-09-2014, 04:08 PM   #44
HULK_I6T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger View Post
I worked with a woman who stopped talking to a co-worker who bought a Grand Voyager. She also commented on a guy driving a restored Mustang claiming "Why would you drive a piece of junk like that?" It was an amazing car and probably worth a small fortune.

many of us bury our heads in the sand and pretend our old cars are something special, but the lady above ^ is what the majority of society are thinking..
Old 12-09-2014, 04:13 PM   #45
T4ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How to you manage to use the terms "we" and "majority" so much...your use of words is rather selective lad ;)
Built BTR 4k TCE stall
FG inlet and exhaust manifolds
Old 12-09-2014, 04:24 PM   #46
MrEL
Sick Puppy

Basically Hulk is like the religious nutbags that come knocking on your front door.
They come preaching their own beliefs that they are right and everyone else is wrong but if you agree with them you can be right too.
You slam the door in their face and they just keep coming back pushing their own agenda one way or the other.
Hulk has been banned from numerous forums for the same thing. What does he do? Creates another user name and account , creates a new identity and does the exact same thing.
On one forum he made out he was a 17 year old kid and his Dad was giving him all this same advice and anyone that didn't agree was an idiot.
The guy is a serial pest and even banning him doesn't stop him.
Maybe the forum rules should be changed that Hulk threads only can be flamed? At least it would be entertaining instead of the same old drivel...............
4 users like this post:
Old 12-09-2014, 04:25 PM   #47
xexr6t

I had a lady say nice "old car the other day" so that means everyone in the universe likes old cars. We all know unless we have our heads in the sand or up our own @$$ that universe is bigger and better than society. So I'm right and Hulks wrong end of story.
Old 12-09-2014, 04:46 PM   #48
BradEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Weather people like old cars or not is entirely their own personal opinion and has nothing to do with weather they drive a Ford or GMH. I know a lot of young guys like myself who drive BMW E30s, E46s, Audi 80s as well as many Japanese cars that are a lot older than an AU.
Just because not everyone doesnt have a new European car has absolutely nothing to do with whether they have had a "sucessful career" or made something of themself or whatever, they may just prefer older cars for whatever reason.
Old 12-09-2014, 04:48 PM   #49
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes because I've been wrecking a mint EB for months now and had no bites!!!

Unless it's for cracked xr6 headlights/lip spoilers and flogged out lsd's, top dollar for xr6 cams that don't even provide 1rwkw over the stock cam..

Bogan clientel is your market with these cars. Item condition is their last priority while red paint is their first. I can't sell a brand new reco diff for $300 but these bogans will pay that same price for some 300k+ burnt out lsd ready to go bang that only ever spun on one wheel anyway..

It's a mental/class thing, against common sense these people prefer to choose to break down everyday putting wing spoilers and EL GT's with 90% gutter-rash rather than wash their car every week or service once a year... or at least every 5 in their case... but no chance of that ever happening walbro fuel pump on clapped out driveline must come first that should bring it back to less than factory output!

The amount of people asking me for T5 manuals is ridiculous get over the p plater bs and maintain the vehicle before modding the vehicle.... replace the 2-yr old diff and bushes first if you have any common sense whatsoever and intend to actually drive the thing.

I just don't get it, bald tyres, 20yr old sandblasted yellowed windscreens, knocks, rattles, dangerous shocks, marked interior/exterior every 2cm you look BUT ZOMG T5 NEONS. It's like sending a **** to Herrod of all things. Why even?

Last edited by ILLaViTaR; 12-09-2014 at 04:58 PM.
Old 12-09-2014, 04:50 PM   #50
MAD
Petro-sexual

Everything I do to my car is so that I enjoy the drive when I'm in the car, and so I can enjoy looking back over my shoulder whenever I walk away from it.
Yeah, it's done to impress.... to impress me.
7 users like this post:
Old 12-09-2014, 04:56 PM   #51
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I think you might find the Ford/GM people are really a small/medium part of the Enthusiast scene. The biggest real clubs I know of are Euro based, Jags, Healeys, alfa's et al and they are mostly real old cars!.

JP
Old 12-09-2014, 05:03 PM   #52
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If I had to go any other type of car it would have to be a Subaru or a Nissan (if I could live with the phag aspect).

I actually have a Suzuki Sierra and feel no phag factor driving a car that gets tooted by blokes but probably would feel very insecure driving an SX resprayed in highlighter green or orange.
Old 12-09-2014, 05:23 PM   #53
xr6tjet
[AUT-747]

I can understand this perspective. I drive my old XE/XF ghia down to work in the city on the right occasion and I work in a very corporate area. Everyone drives their bmw's and mercs and I probably feel more satisfied then they do with my classic car. I park up my classic at work and occasionally get someone complementing the car saying it looks nice etc... Yet the guys who rock up in a new saloon/sedan nobody really cares to notice their cars lol!

You come across a certain person that doesn't understand why you drive an antique/classic car and 90% of the time that person is pretty bleeding boring and usually intellectually are stupid!

Each to their own though at the end of the day you shouldn't feel like an idiot driving an old car, any classic car that is clean and tidy looks great. (except the taurus... nobody likes a taurus lol)
Old 12-09-2014, 05:34 PM   #54
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Only a few days ago, you said people shouldn't post on matters they know nothing about..

Please re-read that post and adhere to it.

Sincerely,

Ford Forums.
Old 12-09-2014, 05:35 PM   #55
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtBourne View Post
Only a few days ago, you said people shouldn't post on matters they know nothing about..

Please re-read that post and adhere to it.

Sincerely,

Ford Forums.
Oh he knows everything about it...
His opinion told him so.
Old 12-09-2014, 05:35 PM   #56
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Pursuit View Post
I dont judge a book by its cover. I dont judge a person by the car they drive. I know plenty of wealthy people that have an array of cars, new and old. Cars are a passion for some, others they are just a mode of transport.

Not every wealthy person will drive a brand new car, not every poor personal will drive a ****ter. You can never judge people.
Agree with that....Same with designer label clothes

As for old cars, I have some appreciation of them, depending on the car , but not as much as others.
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
Old 12-09-2014, 05:42 PM   #57
BradEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT0132 View Post
Agree with that....Same with designer label clothes

As for old cars, I have some appreciation of them, depending on the car , but not as much as others.
Yeah agreed, for the majority of people who buy new cars they just buy them to get from A to B, and pick their brand based on price or brand or whatever.
Similar reason why many people buy iPhones instead of lesser known brands, it is instantly recognisable as a trendy/ upmarket brand like Mercedes or BMW
Old 12-09-2014, 05:44 PM   #58
LoudPipes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

That comment’s not fair, now I have to change my incontinence pad.
Old 12-09-2014, 05:48 PM   #59
Mesa
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Never really thought about what people think about my old car. When I drive it it's because I like how it sounds and feels. It makes me happy.
2 users like this post:
Old 12-09-2014, 05:56 PM   #60
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

I love cars old and new but they have to be special atleast in my mind for me to get excited about them.
The only time I have ever been conscious of what others though of my choice of ride was when I was working for my self, it was an image thing first impressions count.
Too expensive a car and you were possibly a rip off merchant, a ratty old tray back ute and you probably couldn't afford to do their project.
I settled firstly on a BA XR8 ute new and not over the top and later the FPV S/P both cars say we are not on welfare, we are doing ok but not making millions or I would have turned up in my 911 Carrera.
My private cars both old and new I dont really care what anyone else thinks thats their problem not mine.

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
Closed Thread