Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-09-2014, 06:04 PM   #31
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Ford Dealerships Innovating, Transforming

My local dealer wouldn't be able to handle any new technology.
Firstly I tried to buy the Ranger with them, but he said he wouldn't sell the only one he had until he got another one in. Few weeks later he sold it to someone else before getting another one in. I bought at another delayer that was wiling to sell me one they had on the lot.
Took it to my local for its first service and they damaged it. Said it will take a week to repair. Later that day I got a call saying it was good to go.... It wasn't.
Next day I got a call asking how happy I was with my service and if the car was going well. Told them I haven't got it back because they damaged it. Person on phone had non idea about that.
If they can't communicate with others in the same building as them how do they plan on improving customer relations. An iPad won't make them much better at service.

However the dealership I bought the car with were great. I'd go there for service if it wasn't 2.5 hours away.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 08-09-2014, 06:26 PM   #32
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

^ Just buy genuine filters and oil which meets Ford's specs and get your trusted local mechanic to do all the work.

Thats what I did on the two new cars I bought new to keep warranty.

Now I service them both myself.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2014, 08:38 PM   #33
LooLoo18

Booked my car in for a service today didn't find anything innovating about it lol
Only surprise I got was when I asked about servicing the transmission and he told me the don't do it because they are built for life (300,000ks)
XE Fairmont Ghia 4.9lt
EF Fairmont
AU Falcon II
BA MKII Fairmont
FG XR6 50TH
Current
Nissan Pulsar (The Wife's)
Ranger Wildtrak Chilli Orange
LooLoo18 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2014, 09:00 PM   #34
Kempe

The only way they will make the experience better for me is offering their best price up front NO BULL, either lowest price straight up or best change over price, no negotiations.
I dont need a salesman trying to sell me anything I will buy a car so best price up front.
Salesmen lose more sales than they win
Kempe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2014, 09:09 PM   #35
olfella
Cranky old bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by LooLoo18 View Post
Booked my car in for a service today didn't find anything innovating about it lol
Only surprise I got was when I asked about servicing the transmission and he told me the don't do it because they are built for life (300,000ks)
Hearing this all the time and wondering if they miss the boat at service times. People are prepared to pay for a transmission oil change regardless if it is sealed for life or not. It depends on what usage it gets and only the owner knows that, so offer them what they want. I did not get a wheel rotation at my service because I wanted them balanced at the same time. So off I go to somewhere else and get it done. I dont think they realise how many dollars they are missing out on by taking the stand they have adopted.
olfella is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2014, 09:10 PM   #36
Davehoos
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Work purchases most filters genuine. until after market can supply the full set of filters. for us freight cost is large portion of the cost. then we buy in bulk. for some machinery we have service contracts and they supply as per deal. service arangements are made including inductions an training when we buy fleet deals.

Fords dealers havnt been an issue at a staff level because in the past I had personal conections having done training or known for 30 years. sometimes its just drinking budies but someone knows someone. Bring in a new system that often comes across as this years university intern intake thought bubble. nothing wrong with the local dealer just the service back up they have as the product they have is not up to the local rural standards. you can sell any crap in Sydney-and then of load it in Newcastle for its end of life--the real test is how many make it to dubbo.

it been an issue for us with larger finance companies purchasing dealers. service goes out the window as the old skilled staff leave on mass.

J curve. hino trucks has been a less than usefull for the last 4 years. this month the new local dealer owner almost walked on water for us--similar storey from other suppliers. lets hope for the future as the dollar companies train staff.
Davehoos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2014, 09:25 PM   #37
Davehoos
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=olfella;5207748]Hearing this all the time and wondering if they miss the boat at service times. People are prepared to pay for a transmission oil change regardless QUOTE]

private buyers-can anyone give a number of the ratio of fleet lease to private buyers. The last dealer I worked for was at least 90% and they told you how much you will do and what cost. for that you don't have to give a ....Im a mechanic and changing oil in modern transmission is asking for trouble. for every dozen $100 profit there is a $5000+ transmission waiting to ride on a tow truck. sure companies have insurance--but wait till the boss gets the paperwork.

One local dealer was driven by upsells and has transflush and other systems with aditives as part of servicing-most people know to buy these as used cars with a big discount.

If I had a business in a city I would have based it on a production line and sublet out repairs to tender--like insurance work.

I did my trade for a medium sized dealer with 740 employees. 4 sales personal at the branch I was at. there was 40+ mechanics in the service section and a motor trimmer. 3 parts staff with a fleet of deliveries.

6 of us worked in warranty section in the 80's and 20 in the 90's. when I did pre delivery 3 mechanics prepared 30+ cars a week. we had 5 contract detailers and 2 painters.
Old 09-09-2014, 08:22 AM   #38
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

They need to start by coming down HARD on the people who pull the brand through the mud.

When I worked in retail we had 'test shoppers' come in all the time and do reports on how well or poorly we performed.

If I were a test shopper for my last dealership I would have INSISTED that the salesperson was fired on the spot and the service rep that was 'looking after me' was given a sternly written final warning.

They were both that bad and were reported to Ford CRC. I wonder how many other complaints they had received and if they are still working?

I still vividly recall making a complaint about a service department after poor treatment with my Festiva and the person at Ford CRC said they 'only act upon complaints after they have received "a few" about the same person from different people'. WOW.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2014, 09:46 AM   #39
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post

If I were a test shopper for my last dealership I would have INSISTED that the salesperson was fired on the spot and the service rep that was 'looking after me' was given a sternly written final warning.

They were both that bad and were reported to Ford CRC. I wonder how many other complaints they had received and if they are still working?

Is it still possible to "sack" employees on the "spot"?

I know a couple of firms that got into a lot of trouble for less. Cost them a fortune.
especially concerning their love of the motor vehicle.

http://www.fireservicecollege.ac.uk
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2014, 10:38 AM   #40
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kempe View Post
The only way they will make the experience better for me is offering their best price up front NO BULL, either lowest price straight up or best change over price, no negotiations.
I dont need a salesman trying to sell me anything I will buy a car so best price up front.
Salesmen lose more sales than they win
Sounds like a sure way for dealers to make money.

Oh, but I forgot, profit is a dirty word.. acceptable to every industry but real estate and car sales it seems.
Old 09-09-2014, 10:42 AM   #41
Poetic Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnydep View Post

I know a couple of firms that got into a lot of trouble for less. Cost them a fortune.
The problem is, for every bad story about the way sales staff and other dealership staff operate there is another story about a rude, arrogant and/or inconsiderate customer. As the story goes, "the customer is always right" though it doesn't give people license to think that the people on the other side at the dealership are scum of the earth and treat them that way as they so often do.

There is likely always another side to the story, though you're just hearing one persons side of it.
2 users like this post:
Old 09-09-2014, 11:23 AM   #42
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:

I guess if the actions are severe enough then (I would assume) yes.

Old 09-09-2014, 01:17 PM   #43
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I compare my daughters BMW servicing experience to my Ford experience. As different as chalk and cheese..Ford/Holden can learn a lot from the Euro's. They serviced her car while she waited and gave her morning tea..Then they asked her if she was happy with it and could they assist her with any aspect of the car. They then showed her how the self parking worked. They made sure her BMW servicing experience met her expectations..The BMW is a 1 series, not one of the expensive ones..Servicing is in her contract...
Old 09-09-2014, 01:44 PM   #44
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LooLoo18 View Post
Ford have stated in the press release, posted in this thread, that the programme for dealership transformation is only just started with trials in some dealerships, with it being rolled out by the end of the year. So that's why you haven't noticed anything YET.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2014, 01:52 PM   #45
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
I compare my daughters BMW servicing experience to my Ford experience. As different as chalk and cheese..Ford/Holden can learn a lot from the Euro's. They serviced her car while she waited and gave her morning tea..Then they asked her if she was happy with it and could they assist her with any aspect of the car. They then showed her how the self parking worked. They made sure her BMW servicing experience met her expectations..The BMW is a 1 series, not one of the expensive ones..Servicing is in her contract...
I agree, the Euro's offer the best service. Though all those extras are added into the cost - labour charge. However, I do see your point.

We've been trying to organise our first 9 month service, the dealer wants the car all day for a glorified oil change. Normally I wouldn't care, but we haven't had the time or opportunity and have had to cancel twice. But that's just our busy life, that's to blame.
especially concerning their love of the motor vehicle.

http://www.fireservicecollege.ac.uk
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2014, 07:34 PM   #46
Davehoos
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the local BMW dealer is the local ford dealer and has coffee house etc.etc.

pub talk has always been that luxury euro sell very few locally as buyers get them cheeper at big city dealers. The francise is there to provide asperations for cheep brand buyers and to prove to scared buyers that they can fix better engineered cars.

My boss received his D-Max today and has already decided its crap after 2 hours. it was over $5000 dollars cheeper than the ranger and towbar weight is only 3 ton. the plastics cheeper to look at and no seat covers.--worse is the tray is the same as the Toyota with plastic hinges and locks and too narrow for the tool box.
Old 09-09-2014, 07:46 PM   #47
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

yes it is providing that things are as you state and they are in the work agreement etc

I am the oh&s rep where I work and just had to sit in on the instant sacking of one worker he had no leg to stand on as they had it all in agreements as well as signed updates that followed the work place agreement ( updates to current work safe guidelines )

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2014, 12:02 AM   #48
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think the whole dealer thing is outdated, period.
Should be able to order a car online, with it being delivered straight to your door.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-09-2014, 12:27 AM   #49
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin View Post
Should be able to order a car online, with it being delivered straight to your door.
Not a silly idea actually.

Place 1 or 2 showrooms in each major city. These places only display cars and are not a holding yard for dozens of each model etc. They could also have a service dept (or run a fleet of mobile service vans) that works on high turnover and minimal empty space for holding cars.

You make your order and your car is delivered to you direct - cars can be stored outside large cities where rents are very cheap.

Wonder how much $ that could save on a car? Less rent for show rooms, less franchises, less staff??

What would the savings be I wonder? 10-15%????

Old 10-09-2014, 10:20 AM   #50
Poetic Justice

Quote:
This is a very real possibility in the future though they won't cut out the middle man. Likened to the Subaru BR-Z project where the car was purchased online but the rest of the process was handled by the customers local dealer.

They trialled similar things in the 90s and it didn't last. At the end of the day, the customer still wants to have a face/person/voice to deal direct with on a majority basis. This might change with the next generation, but it's a long way away.
Old 10-09-2014, 10:27 AM   #51
Poetic Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
Wonder how much $ that could save on a car? Less rent for show rooms, less franchises, less staff??
Still going to need to dissolve franchise agreements which wouldn't be an easy or quick process - there's a number of large companies or family operated businesses that are franchises that aren't just going to say "hey, yeah no worries we'll close our business that employs X amount of people". (In the case of the dealer I work at, 100+ employees).

Also; they would still need a retail outlet. Some people like the concept of buying a car sight unseen and without a test drive, but it won't be many. You can't expect to sell vehicles at any cost, especially $50,000+ without allowing someone to experience the vehicle in person.
Old 10-09-2014, 02:57 PM   #52
Gadgetman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior View Post
Interesting. Wasn't aware of that.
Yup, Have a chat to spoolman about this, he has one and has now become an expert as to how Ford CRC handles people with these issues.
Gadgetman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2014, 03:02 PM   #53
Gadgetman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guzz226 View Post
Thanks for heads up - was potentially looking at a Focus and it would be auto as my left knee (osteo arthritis) struggles with a manual as a daily.

I was keen as it isnt a CVT but seems all may not be well.

Have to look into it.
You can buy a focus auto with no problems. Just buy a diesel. The diesels use wet clutches which are great. The petrols are dry clutch gearboxes which they have massive issues with. I think they have done real well keeping this issue off the spotlight.
Gadgetman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2014, 02:16 PM   #54
imugli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Tesla are doing this in the states. You can go into a "showroom", test drive the car, speak to a rep etc, but all ordering etc is done online and the showroom is owned directly by Tesla.

A number of states have laws specifically prohibiting direct sales by car maunfacturers to buyers, though, so you can only buy a Tesla in certain states.
imugli is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2014, 02:44 PM   #55
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetman View Post
You can buy a focus auto with no problems. Just buy a diesel. The diesels use wet clutches which are great. The petrols are dry clutch gearboxes which they have massive issues with. I think they have done real well keeping this issue off the spotlight.
My diesel Focus powershift couldn't be repaired by 2 dealers... I would personally steer clear of both types till they revise the design or offer a longer warranty.

Old 15-09-2014, 02:47 PM   #56
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUD View Post
Still going to need to dissolve franchise agreements which wouldn't be an easy or quick process - there's a number of large companies or family operated businesses that are franchises that aren't just going to say "hey, yeah no worries we'll close our business that employs X amount of people". (In the case of the dealer I work at, 100+ employees).

Also; they would still need a retail outlet. Some people like the concept of buying a car sight unseen and without a test drive, but it won't be many. You can't expect to sell vehicles at any cost, especially $50,000+ without allowing someone to experience the vehicle in person.
Yes, these things will take time to be rolled in.

I did also say that there would still be a physical outlet for people to visit.

Times are changing... businesses can either bury their head in the sand or try to keep up.

Old 15-09-2014, 05:53 PM   #57
Davehoos
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you get rid of the dealership system the new cars will get cheaper-and all the opisition will get cheaper-called race to the bottom.---then the used cars will have no return value to the dealers/builder/distribution network.

Good for buyers-not for suppliers.

like white goods some people like to visit a dealer-and loo k and look-but most buyers just want it with the least issues.

living in a rural area the dealers normally come to the house. with government fleet the fax machine is the closest the dealer gets to me. They are so interested in selling vehicles that they don't even want to know what your using it for incase it doesn't meet expectations.
Old 15-09-2014, 08:08 PM   #58
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its not that hard, have vehicles on display at kiosks in shopping centres so you can touch and feel the cars (just like they do now), maybe outside so you can test drive, like?? choose colour and options, sign here, transfer deposit there, delivered to your door on traytop 14 days later. Warranty service and repairs? Outsource to Ultra Tune/KTAS/Auto masters or whoever.
Gleaming castles which masquerade as car dealerships today are expensive, and are destined only for ultra premium brands, the future is coming people.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz