Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 27-07-2014, 07:28 PM   #31
noflac52
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Carwashers using WINDEX on paint in Melbourne

I can't get over this forum sometimes and the replies!

Poor bloke just wants to know if windex will damage his paint due to an unfortunate situation and everyone wants to tell him how to live his life! Ease up people.

AAXR8 maybe you should have left out the reason you want to know about the windex from your posts. Then you would have got a lot more posts about windex and not how you should be looking after your car lol!
8 users like this post:
Old 27-07-2014, 08:08 PM   #32
AAXR8

Thumbs up Re: Carwashers using WINDEX on paint in Melbourne

[QUOTE=noflac52;5167694]I can't get over this forum sometimes and the replies!

Poor bloke just wants to know if windex will damage his paint due to an unfortunate situation and everyone wants to tell him how to live his life! Ease up people.

Thankyou so much mate!!! I'm in shock to!!!! Because I was in Melbourne seeing a Doctor to have a Major Operation on my broken Pelvis!!
And they also want to shove wires although my lower nerves!!
So I CANNOT WASH A CAR!!! AND I MISS IT LIKE HELL!!! I CAN NOT EVEN DRIVE MY CAR FOR MORE THEN 15MINS BECAUSE OF PAIN!!, So I have to get someone else to drive my Pride and Joy!!! Thankyou!!! Noflac52
, SCT FLASH TUNED, COLD AIR INTAKE WITH K&N HI FLOW POD FILTER , 4:11 DIFF, HERROD THROTTLE BODY. PEDDERS XTREME-XA COILOVERS
!!
247 RWKW

03 BA XR8 UTE WHITE IN COLOR!

3 users like this post:
Old 27-07-2014, 08:25 PM   #33
Kempe

The bottle of Windex has the following warning...."DO NOT USE ON: acrylic, fiberglass, painted surfaces, waxed, polished, lacquered, or varnished wood."

I wouldnt be happy if they sprayed my car with it
6 users like this post:
Old 27-07-2014, 08:41 PM   #34
Brendo_GSUte
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Over time and many uses Windex has the potential to erode the protective layer on modern plastic headlights which is (sometimes) the cause of cloudyness on them when the left over residue heats up when the lights are switched on. then you have to get it off with a micro crystal buffer.

Also breaks down the glue on window tint over time. You would be safer using diluted Methylated sprits.

Im looking to swap my chrome roll bars and soft tonneau with the cut outs on my GS ute for just the normal FG FPV soft tonneau cover. Basically i want to do away with the chome bars

Im from Perth so it would be easier if someone from Perth is willing as well. I will drive to you as well.
This user likes this post:
Old 27-07-2014, 09:05 PM   #35
_Ben
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nothing wrong with paying people to wash your car, but go to a proper detailer, or at least someone half competent :P

I don't consider myself a professional detailer, but I do detailing as a side job (only a few cars a month, if that). I was cars as if they were mine, and use decent quality products. Most of the money I make goes back into buying more detailing stuff :P
2 users like this post:
Old 27-07-2014, 09:22 PM   #36
AAXR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kempe View Post
The bottle of Windex has the following warning...."DO NOT USE ON: acrylic, fiberglass, painted surfaces, waxed, polished, lacquered, or varnished wood."

I wasn't mate!!! I had a huge argument with the Foreman!!! And like I was saying he soet of put me down by Saying we put it on Cars worth alot more then mine!! So I said thats not the point!!!! Your using windex on paint its for glass! Because i had never heard of it being used so I worried!! Luckily on the way home it really rained so at least the water got on it abit to rinse the car!!!
, SCT FLASH TUNED, COLD AIR INTAKE WITH K&N HI FLOW POD FILTER , 4:11 DIFF, HERROD THROTTLE BODY. PEDDERS XTREME-XA COILOVERS
!!
247 RWKW

Old 27-07-2014, 09:40 PM   #37
AAXR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ben View Post
Nothing wrong with paying people to wash your car, but go to a proper detailer, or at least someone half competent :P

I don't consider myself a professional detailer, but I do detailing as a side job (only a few cars a month, if that). I was cars as if they were mine, and use decent quality products. Most of the money I make goes back into buying more detailing stuff :P
The place looked Amazing & so Professional! Even the Car wash Bay was one of the best I have seen! But When I say JUST PLEASE WASH WITH SOAP & WIPE DRY DO NOT SPRAY ANYTHING ON IT!!!! I really was not looking for this to happen & thats why I had the Argument with the Foreman because I said just dry wipe with Microfiber no sprays, But they completely Ignored my instructions! And said its good stuff it makes the car shine & Bead!! And I said put it through again and wash it off & No **** he said pay me $35 extra & we will polish it so again another argument & was forced out of there because we would not move the Car! We were on Kings way so there isn't many Car detailers because I kept asking SIRI on my iphone where the closiest Car detailer was & it took me there!
!!
247 RWKW

Old 27-07-2014, 09:44 PM   #38
BHDOGS
Banned

spray some on his face and say its fine its good stuff while hes choking.
4 users like this post:
Old 27-07-2014, 09:50 PM   #39
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Dealers use windex all the time as a quick wax product before new cars are delivered. It's all they give the sales guys so they have no option!
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Old 27-07-2014, 10:32 PM   #40
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post
stop being so lazy
wash your own car or stop sooking how others wash it
Not everyone has the time, energy or fitness to do it themselves. Should they not bother looking after their cars then?

If someone paid for a service, they have every right to expect that service to be done competently.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
6 users like this post:
Old 27-07-2014, 10:55 PM   #41
Itsme
Experienced Member

Deleted
Old 27-07-2014, 10:58 PM   #42
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:

You can buy Windex for glass cleaning only, you can buy Windex for glass & general cleaning, which one were you referring to?
Old 27-07-2014, 11:12 PM   #43
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Yep I use Carnauba wax as I dry off my car after washing. The water helps spread the wax .
I assume they use windex for it contains ethanol which helps drying water ??
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
Old 27-07-2014, 11:34 PM   #44
Kempe

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu View Post
You can buy Windex for glass cleaning only, you can buy Windex for glass & general cleaning, which one were you referring to?
Windex glass cleaner which is blue like the op said.

Looking online it looks like other products are a different colour
Old 28-07-2014, 01:05 PM   #45
bluovl

To the OP, I understand your concern about having something applied to your paint that you are unsure of but how does it look. Did it affect the paint and is it marked?
69 Mustang Convertible
XA 351 Coupe
1965 Galaxie Convertible
2005 GT-P
AU XR6 Ute
Old 28-07-2014, 01:18 PM   #46
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wouldnt like them using windex on my duco, the stuff was primarily made for windows, and I'd be really ****ed if I knew they where using it on my paintwork.
2 users like this post:
Old 28-07-2014, 01:43 PM   #47
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa smurf View Post
Ah!......mr sheen, bikies swear by it.

B.I.L. (clean freak) polished his linoleum floor with Mr Sheen......looked fantastic but you couldn't stand or walk on it for a week, didn't have to go to the ice rink.

I didn't go near it, if I broke a leg or a hip my missus would have me put down,.... at the vet's.

I remember, years ago in one of those "revolving brush" type car washes, some young wags (little mischieviuos devils they are) decided to tie nuts and bolts onto the large revolving drum brushes........caught a few cars before it was shut down, vehicles were pretty mashed up.
Yep growing up with brothers, with linoleum floors and Mr Sheen was a lot of fun

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
2 users like this post:
Old 28-07-2014, 03:40 PM   #48
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

the one time its prob not going to hurt it
but from now on you know that its pro not a good idea to use it
hope the operation goes/has gone ok
2 users like this post:
Old 28-07-2014, 09:33 PM   #49
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Windex glass cleaner which is blue like the op said.

Looking online it looks like other products are a different colour
Well I can tell you the Windex glass & general cleaner is blue colour.
Old 28-07-2014, 11:02 PM   #50
commonrails

I carry a few quality micro fibre towels and a 1.5L bottle of water in the boot for wiping crap of the car and it comes in super handy when your no where near home.
2 users like this post:
Old 29-07-2014, 11:27 AM   #51
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

how's that pelvis going, quacks sorted you out yet?

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
Old 29-07-2014, 06:48 PM   #52
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Was it even Windex, or are they just using the word Windex as a descriptor for window cleaner (the came way all cola products are "Coke")? Just asking, because they probably have a window cleaner that is ammonia free (you can actually get ammonia free Windex too), and would be less harmful to the paint. Actually, the pre-soak they use would be more harmful and would strip wax off anyway...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 29-07-2014, 07:36 PM   #53
AAXR8

Exclamation Re: Carwashers using WINDEX on paint in Melbourne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked View Post
Was it even Windex, or are they just using the word Windex as a descriptor for window cleaner (the came way all cola products are "Coke")? Just asking, because they probably have a window cleaner that is ammonia free (you can actually get ammonia free Windex too), and would be less harmful to the paint. Actually, the pre-soak they use would be more harmful and would strip wax off anyway...
In the Spray bottles it was Blue!!! And I said to the worker what is that & he said Windex!! And the foreman did not say what it was & tryed to say it was WAX when I said BS he just said it was WINDEX, but it shocked me because I have been cleaning cars for a while now!! Before my Accident and I have never heard of it being used as a shiner!!
!!
247 RWKW

Old 29-07-2014, 07:38 PM   #54
AAXR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by commonrails View Post
I carry a few quality micro fibre towels and a 1.5L bottle of water in the boot for wiping crap of the car and it comes in super handy when your no where near home.

I will be doing that from now on!!! and my friend gave me some rinseless Carwash by Turtle! So don't worry as long as I have a bottle of water I am fine!!
!!
247 RWKW

Old 29-07-2014, 07:47 PM   #55
AAXR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercurySilver View Post
the one time its prob not going to hurt it
but from now on you know that its pro not a good idea to use it
hope the operation goes/has gone ok

Thanks!! Yeah I got my friend who cleans my car all the time to wash it again & I bought a bottle of the Meguires Quick Detailer in the Red bottle ages ago & never used it BUT its really good! My car was put next to last years model falcon & my paint looked better & shined more then theres! But my friend said & I watched him for a little but when it gets a little bit of water mixed with it when the cars dry he said the Wax was harder to rub in!! Does it dry in time Does anyone know?? Or any tips on using it??
!!
247 RWKW

Old 29-07-2014, 07:52 PM   #56
AAXR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
I wouldnt like them using windex on my duco, the stuff was primarily made for windows, and I'd be really ****ed if I knew they where using it on my paintwork.
I was when I found out because I had never heard of it being used on paint! I said its for glass.!!! And the Foreman even tryed to not say what it was as mentioned below!! Thats what worried me if the Foremans not telling the Truth!!!
!!
247 RWKW

Old 29-07-2014, 08:02 PM   #57
AAXR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluovl View Post
To the OP, I understand your concern about having something applied to your paint that you are unsure of but how does it look. Did it affect the paint and is it marked?
My Black is very shinny! And I tryed to get as much water on it once it happened & luckily it rained all the whole way for an hour!! So it was pointless Also!! So that Improved my mood!!! But we got it washed when we got home we checked and No it didn't harm the Clear or Paint & my mate waxed it again just in case! & it looks good!!

My Main objective was to just warn people, because I never have heard of that at all!
!!
247 RWKW

Old 29-07-2014, 08:04 PM   #58
_Ben
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The rinseless carwash by turtlewax is the same as Optimum no rinse, which is apparently a very good product with a lot of uses. You might want to google it to get some ideas on how you can use it
Old 29-07-2014, 08:15 PM   #59
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAXR8 View Post
In the Spray bottles it was Blue!!! And I said to the worker what is that & he said Windex!! And the foreman did not say what it was & tryed to say it was WAX when I said BS he just said it was WINDEX, but it shocked me because I have been cleaning cars for a while now!! Before my Accident and I have never heard of it being used as a shiner!!
Most glass cleaners are blue, Windex or not. Windex is synonymous with all window cleaners, it could be Auto Smart glass cleaner, but get called Windex.

Only reason I can see them using it is to stop spotting/water marks on the paint.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 29-07-2014, 10:44 PM   #60
AAXR8

Exclamation Re: Carwashers using WINDEX on paint in Melbourne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked View Post
Most glass cleaners are blue, Windex or not. Windex is synonymous with all window cleaners, it could be Auto Smart glass cleaner, but get called Windex.

Only reason I can see them using it is to stop spotting/water marks on the paint.
Hi, the only thing was it streaked really bad once it got rained on! Our Carwash uses bore water & that was a little bad for White Residue but this was shocking once it got wet! they must of done so it looked good for them as soon as it left there property it was a different story! Not there problem after that!
!!
247 RWKW

Closed Thread