Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 22-05-2014, 12:40 PM   #31
HULK_I6T
Banned

Default Re: Is the 157kw ef-au i6 enough to get a young guy in big trouble?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudPipes View Post
Irresponsibly has nothing to do with age.
irresponsibility in a car usually is to do with inexperience.

Inexperience = Young age = immaturity

You cannot teach maturity, not at training courses or education, you almost just grow into it. like being too short to be admitted to a ride at the circus, theres no education to make someone suitable, they are just too short. When they are tall enough they can ride.

157kw must be right on the cusp as being unsuitable. The 165kw V8 motor was banned but 157kw i6 allowed? In the exact same car?

Do you put a loaded gun in a childs hand? is 157kw a loaded gun?
Old 22-05-2014, 12:50 PM   #32
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_I6T View Post
enough with the theatrics - question has been answered
This user likes this post:
Old 22-05-2014, 12:50 PM   #33
MAD
Petro-sexual

Make sure it's auto, put good tyres on it and it will be lucky to break traction.

If it's got cheap-*** chinese tyres, it could be pedal powered and have trouble maintaining traction.

Why do I get the feeling that none of these "question threads" of yours are legitimate, but only designed to fish out different answers to the same questions, in order for you to have some sort of twisted idea of ammunition in an argument with an owner of an old Mercedes Benz about how he can't talk at the same level as a Doctor, but can beat a Commodore that has done 162,000km, yet won't be as fast as a high km EL that keeps up with HSV's, in the best looking VT ever to grace the land.
2 users like this post:
Old 22-05-2014, 01:00 PM   #34
buggo
[BU66OS]

Wow, I hope that this question is just taking the ****

A Corolla and any other 4cyl car from the last 10 years would smoke an EL, should we keep the kids out of those death traps too?

I had 182kw at 17 and I'm still alive, 270 at 20 and not dead yet. If he's gunna crash it won't matter if it's an XR6 or a 89' laser. He'll pull his head in the first time he oversteps the line.

BA XR8 Manual
Old 22-05-2014, 01:25 PM   #35
tweeked
N/A all the way

News Flash - P Plater caught speeding away dangerously from a family barbecue in a 157 kw EL Falcon. When questioned, police said his only excuse was that he was bailed up by a family friend who asked if his EL was better than a VT. if a tuned AU would be more reliable with a Centrifugal Supercharger or would a PD blower break it, whether or not the vehicle was immaculate and good value when it was purchased..........

"I just had to get away, i couldn't take it anymore, lock me up - I don't care, but please just no more what if questions"........ he said.

Old 22-05-2014, 01:32 PM   #36
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 

A defensive driving course is not a bad idea. I started driving a company car when I was 25. It was mandatory that all employees who drove a company car do a company funded defensive driving course. At first I thought "c'mon, get real, I can drive". I attended it and learned a few things that I embedded into my driving habits. One thing that I'm sure has saved me from injury was that when waiting to turn across oncoming traffic to keep your wheels straight, then turn when all is clear - I got rear ended once and went straight ahead, if I had my wheels turned at the ready I would've been shunted in the path of an oncoming truck. Yeah, my car was munted but I was ok.

Any car is a weapon. Putting a scalpel in your hand doesn't make you a surgeon. I did some really stupid stuff in cars when I started driving, very luckily I didn't hurt myself, or worse still someone else.

The lad is gonna learn one way or the other Hulk, hopefully he pulls through alright. You can't put an old head on young shoulders. Little or lots of kW isn't gonna make a shard of difference.

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.
Old 22-05-2014, 01:48 PM   #37
bangm001
Mopar! But Own F6's..

They can get into trouble with a gutless POS if they have NO RESPECT!

I learnt in a EF falcon, and yeah sure, plenty of power, torque etc but that is what gave me the respect for cars I have today.

Once I proved to my olds I was a good driver, i was handed the keys to my old mans brand new manual VYSS fairly quickly and never got myself into any trouble.
Old 22-05-2014, 02:31 PM   #38
Motorbreath310

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboclown View Post
Its quite apparent that you are allowed to abuse certain members but not others, this forum really is ******
To be fair, this iteration of HULK, as well as His numerous other suffixed aliases, kinda ask for it.

However, I've always questioned the P-plater rules. How a carbied 12a Mazda, or a 5l VN are on the banned list, but they're allowed to drive around in 190-odd kilowatt XR6's and SV6 Commodores.

As others have said, you can get yourself into trouble in anything. And it's typically the old, cheap, slow, s%$tboxes that cop the most abuse, and make for the most "lol, watch this" moments.
Old 22-05-2014, 02:35 PM   #39
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You can get into trouble with a 72 hp 1600, any vehicle can end your life if driven foolishly.
3 users like this post:
Old 22-05-2014, 02:40 PM   #40
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

The EL isnt overly powerful but thats not its problem, I've had the rear step out on a slightly wet road by surprise at around 30km/h and the same when corning on a dirt road, the moment you have an off camber corner in an EF/EL in some poor condition and it will let go, I've got Boge shocks and new BF Goodrich Sport T/A on all corners on my car.

I find it much easier to control understeer than oversteer, understeer you just lift off or brake and the front will come back in, much easier to control through when you are first driving on your Ps and **** your pants and freak out.
Old 22-05-2014, 02:45 PM   #41
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

none of my 3 EL Ghia's would step out noticeably to be honest - but the XR is on another planet in that regard
Old 22-05-2014, 02:49 PM   #42
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Farnsworth View Post
none of my 3 EL Ghia's would step out noticeably to be honest - but the XR is on another planet in that regard
That's interesting, mines a Ghia too, maybe mines just a bung car.

It doesn't have enough balls to force it to do it either so every time its happened to me has caught me by surprise.

Maybe in just too used to driving cars that handle like theyre on rails.
Old 22-05-2014, 02:53 PM   #43
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

yeah i love the hard-cornering characteristics of FWD and RWD.. FWD are easier to keep on track for sure (in less space) but RWD has a charm of its own
Old 22-05-2014, 03:05 PM   #44
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Another classic thread ha.
Although, my input the ef el is a lightweight car. I had an 5spd ef xr6 and was pretty quick, especially in its time. I bought it in 2003. Quite a few mods. Got me in some trouble, but that reflected my young immature driving style

Current
SY FPV F6X Territory #214
Previous
FG MkII G6E Turbo built by Heinrichs Performance and Tuning
BFII FPV TORNADO #0021 351rwkw - Heinrich Performance and Tuning

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
Old 22-05-2014, 03:22 PM   #45
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
I find it much easier to control understeer than oversteer, understeer you just lift off or brake and the front will come back in,
You needed to get out on dirt roads more

You just have to remember 3 things......

Understeer = through the hedge forwards.

Oversteer = through the hedge backwards.

Neutral Steering = through the hedge upside down !
Old 22-05-2014, 03:31 PM   #46
Boss_340
Super Charger

FFS! i think maybe just give him a bike.
We gave our ef to our son when he got his licence, he has just turned 22 on full brief, he has now sold the ef, and wants my BA XR8, lol.
During the time he owned the car, yes it got lowered, still was legal. some other mods, still was a safe car, heck my first car was a 2 door valiant pacer. that was a scary car compared to a ef falcon.
And why would you mention commadores, and yes you are a alarmist.
2 users like this post:
Old 22-05-2014, 04:45 PM   #47
bangm001
Mopar! But Own F6's..

Yep time to let them go. Plus most kids his age prob dont give a toss about the power, its the big back seat the falcon offers he's probably interested in.
Old 22-05-2014, 05:13 PM   #48
tapeworm
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by graham_h View Post
my Vauxhall Viva only had 58hp
I had it airbourne many times drove it like an idiot
Went every where flat out because it was low powered
Better to educate the young bloke, that's what I'll be doing with my two lads
haha..
Old 22-05-2014, 05:49 PM   #49
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I can't wait for next weeks thread when the friends son starts dating a girl with a big rack and a short skirt.
4 users like this post:
Old 22-05-2014, 05:59 PM   #50
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well, I crashed a standard ef gli when first getting my p's. With factory 4wd ride height in the rear they are completely unpredictable in the wet. Plus I was an immature idiot and tried to be all tokyo drift. Just dinged up the undercarriage and flattened 2 tyres but it was ok. Then I completely totalled my ef xr6 about a year ago, not specifically being a dick, but it was definately my own fault. Really lucky to walk away from that one. Moral of the story is that some young people are just "hoons". Doesnt matter what car theyre in, theyll get it over 200 and drift every roundabout in the wet.
Old 22-05-2014, 06:29 PM   #51
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Given that "first car" is usually dictated by budget, something like a Falcon is a good idea, because you get decent features for the money, and it will be easy and cheap for him to ensure he has good shocks and brakes. Its also safer and cheaper when colliding with trees, walls, letterboxes, etc.

Yes, its a fair bit of power, but I actually believe that big torquey motors are safer as you can learn to use a moderate throttle. (One of my early cars was so gutless, that full-throttle on take-off was mandatory, and it would sometimes break traction and let fly.)
Old 22-05-2014, 06:40 PM   #52
HULK_I6T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggle Piggle View Post
but also need to know if the EF has more than 162000km on it and spent a fair amount of time idling in the Macca's waiting bay.
I'm not sure how many km on it but from viewing the car and it's condition id say its about 120000-125000km. But it's irrelevant, the km question is only relevant if there is a sale to someone unbeknown of the history.

I'm guessing if the car is passed down it will spend more than its fair share in a maccas car park.

All those people that say they learned in a v8? I'd bet their v8 had less than 157kw. Old snorting carby V8s weren't exactly slingshots, the 157kw i6 would bolt away from them.
Old 22-05-2014, 06:56 PM   #53
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

doesn't matter if the car has 157kw, 57kw or 751kw, you can be an idiot in any car regardless of power. Its not the car. its the nut behind the wheel
Old 22-05-2014, 06:57 PM   #54
Blue Roo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_I6T View Post
irresponsibility in a car usually is to do with inexperience.

Inexperience = Young age = immaturity

You cannot teach maturity, not at training courses or education, you almost just grow into it. like being too short to be admitted to a ride at the circus, theres no education to make someone suitable, they are just too short. When they are tall enough they can ride.

157kw must be right on the cusp as being unsuitable. The 165kw V8 motor was banned but 157kw i6 allowed? In the exact same car?

As Helen Lovejoy from the Simpsons would say " Will some body please think of the children".
4 users like this post:
Old 22-05-2014, 07:15 PM   #55
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Question has been answered a few times so lets finish it before it gets out of hand to much ......

BUT ...... I just need to say, as the last comment which seems to sum up most above!

If a licensed driver cannot control himself or an EF or AU ..... or any P plate legal vehicle ...... for everyone else's sake ...... take the license from them now!

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
5 users like this post:
Closed Thread