Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-11-2013, 02:49 PM   #31
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Speed cameras out of control.

The best protest you can do is not get a fine. The only reason why they have so many cameras is people get caught speeding.

I live in Vic drive a BA GT as a daily. Drive country, city highway freeway on a daily basis. In the last 12 years since I have had my licence, I have been caught speeding twice.

If it does cost more to run the cameras than what they are making, then they will stop operating the camera's. They know people will speed, drive unregistered cars etc and get caught have to pay fines.

The problem I see with most people is their attitude towards these things.

IMO it is not hard to stay under the speed limit, pay your rego, keep your car roadworthy and such. If you can even afford to keep your car roadworthy, pay the rego, pay any fines you get, you should not be driving.

The OP says that all this new technology available taking people livelihood, but just as much technology is available to us to help us not get caught. If you cant stay under the limit get a GPS, they cost $50 bucks, these can be set to show the speed limit, most cars these days have speed alerts, if you don't have a GPS, most phones have one these days. Not having money to pay rego and such is the biggest load I have ever heard. Put $50 dollars a fortnight away and you will have teh money for the rego.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-11-2013, 03:57 PM   #32
Spurious

As a society & country it's high time we accepted that we are a nation of speeders, & did something about it.

It is inherent in us from a young age that speed is "fun"...that burnouts are "fun" so it's no surprise that the Gov is doing what it's doing.

I for one show no surprise that in my town there is no end to people doing burnouts, doing fishies in the wet, speeding & generally being tools behind the wheel. With a small police force & minimal speed cameras it's no surprise at all.

People are idiots....who knew?

All I'm hearing here is "oh too many cameras, I can't be a d!_ckhead in my car anymore". BooHoo...Not fair...

What's really out of control is people who can't watch their speedometer & drive at the same time.

Last edited by Spurious; 09-11-2013 at 04:05 PM.
Spurious is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-11-2013, 05:55 PM   #33
Trump
bitch lasagne

It was high time the "government" was pulled into line a long time ago. Now, its mere existence is bordering on the incredulous. Those in power (and the armed thugs posing as keepers of the peace they hide behind) need to be reminded of the fact that they are the servants of the nation, not the other way around.

They have scared the nation into conformity, stray one kilometre over the posted limit and you're done for. I would love to see everyone who receives a fine from Robocop elect to have the charge heard in court, the system would collapse within a week...
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2013, 06:28 PM   #34
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled View Post
The best protest you can do is not get a fine. The only reason why they have so many cameras is people get caught speeding.

I live in Vic drive a BA GT as a daily. Drive country, city highway freeway on a daily basis. In the last 12 years since I have had my licence, I have been caught speeding twice.

If it does cost more to run the cameras than what they are making, then they will stop operating the camera's. They know people will speed, drive unregistered cars etc and get caught have to pay fines.

The problem I see with most people is their attitude towards these things.

IMO it is not hard to stay under the speed limit, pay your rego, keep your car roadworthy and such. If you can even afford to keep your car roadworthy, pay the rego, pay any fines you get, you should not be driving.

The OP says that all this new technology available taking people livelihood, but just as much technology is available to us to help us not get caught. If you cant stay under the limit get a GPS, they cost $50 bucks, these can be set to show the speed limit, most cars these days have speed alerts, if you don't have a GPS, most phones have one these days. Not having money to pay rego and such is the biggest load I have ever heard. Put $50 dollars a fortnight away and you will have teh money for the rego.
id imagine if they don't cover their costs..they will do more of what they do know.....lower the tolerance....more double fines and points and so on.
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2013, 07:07 PM   #35
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud_Noises View Post
It was high time the "government" was pulled into line a long time ago. Now, its mere existence is bordering on the incredulous. Those in power (and the armed thugs posing as keepers of the peace they hide behind) need to be reminded of the fact that they are the servants of the nation, not the other way around.

They have scared the nation into conformity, stray one kilometre over the posted limit and you're done for. I would love to see everyone who receives a fine from Robocop elect to have the charge heard in court, the system would collapse within a week...
This is what I think......It is going too far..

Mojority of us have late model cars with very good brakes so slowing if a little bit over is not even hard..... And the technology in new cars is getting better all the time and we literally pay for that technology when we buy a new car...

But these cops want to hide at the bottom of hills just to get drivers a few k's over if they are over at all...

I'm all for safe driving but geesus Christ this is just 'big brother' watching our every move and fining us if we make just a small mistake...
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-11-2013, 07:50 PM   #36
Matty4
Banana

Quote:
I would love to see everyone who receives a fine from Robocop elect to have the charge heard in court, the system would collapse within a week...
^^This...

The only way to take a stand against this is to do as suggested above.
It only takes a letter or 2 and then the police (or Traffic Camera Office) have to spend time putting a brief of evidence together and mailing it out to you so you have time to read it prior to your day in court.

If you do nothing else, have a read through here,
http://www.aussiespeedingfines.com/

For-warned is for-armed.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:02 PM   #37
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlivverFord View Post
What's really out of control is people who can't watch their speedometer & drive at the same time.
Given the sheer volume of drivers who get booked, I'd argue it IS unreasonable to expect people to maintain their speed to within 2kmh accuracy. Even the cops don't...
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2013, 11:58 PM   #38
evse82

I have been driving over 13 years now since getting my p's, I've driven fast cars for the last 5 years and have never gotten a fine. I don't speed and I drive safely. However, I believe the cameras here are absolutely ridiculous and even though I don't speed, it's only a matter of time until I get pegged for driving 3km per hour over the speed limit by accident.

Just this week I slammed on the brakes at a traffic light with a camera because the lights went amber... Surely that's not safe, but I was scared I'd get pegged. Also, constantly staring at my speed out of fear is making me an unsafe driver.... Imagine how a bad driver would drive staring at their speedo... But hey, cameras save lives right?

I'm all for cameras catching unregistered and unlicensed drivers, but the speed cameras are now beyond a joke.
evse82 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
8 users like this post:
Old 10-11-2013, 02:21 AM   #39
lucas2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The only areas I believe are suitable for VISIBLE cameras are school zones and genuine high fatality areas/intersections where excessive speed is the main reason for the fatality. However, a visible police presence would do more good, as you hardly see anyone overtake or exceed the speed limit when there is a marked police car around.
lucas2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2013, 03:46 AM   #40
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It was Steve Bracks who started it. The guy who campaigned on "no tolls" then something like two weeks after his re-election signed the contract for the Eastlink toll road, even though federal money could have prevented the need for it. The "safety" (speed) cameras we had to have from the party that gave us the recession we had to have.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2013, 11:06 AM   #41
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower View Post
It was Steve Bracks who started it. The guy who campaigned on "no tolls" then something like two weeks after his re-election signed the contract for the Eastlink toll road, even though federal money could have prevented the need for it. The "safety" (speed) cameras we had to have from the party that gave us the recession we had to have.
Umm, on the surface you are right, but I contend that the same thing would have happened had the Coalition been in power at the time. Revenue cameras transcend party politics, and shows up the red and blue camps as the two sides of the one coin.
Old 10-11-2013, 12:59 PM   #42
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

I know lots of people that avoid Vic and all it's draconian revenue devices. What that means is that they never holiday there or take long weekend breaks in Vic. I am the same. Just as an example.... we are going to see Mrs Brown's boys stage show in April. We made a deliberate choice to avoid Vic. SA got the discretionary dollars. Will this make a difference in the long term... ? Probably not. But if enough people decide the same as us business's might start to make some noise's....
Old 10-11-2013, 01:14 PM   #43
XW-BAXR6T

Nick.
XW-BAXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 10-11-2013, 01:16 PM   #44
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by XW-BAXR6T View Post
Is that a photoshop?? It looks legit and I love it. There needs to thousands of those stuck all over the police state that is Victorstan.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:21 PM   #45
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

I get family come here from Europe and U.S .. They cannot believe the camera's here..
Why are school zone so long ?? Pennant Hills road [NSW] is almost 40 kph the whole length yet hardly see any children walking outside school..Its one of the busiest main roads in Sydney..
Needs to be a little common sense .. Its NOT very common though !!!
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2013, 01:26 PM   #46
XW-BAXR6T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackjack View Post
Is that a photoshop?? It looks legit and I love it. There needs to thousands of those stuck all over the police state that is Victorstan.
Its real this was on a traffic light as you can see, such stickers do exist wish i knew where to get some & agree sticking em every where it just may wake up people.

Nick.
XW-BAXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2013, 01:41 PM   #47
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
This is exactly what we all need....Stick the bloody things everywhere!

I wonder how much the fine is for putting a sticker on a traffic camera???
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2013, 05:08 PM   #48
joolz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

First there was radars then mobile and fixed cameras everywhere. The next step will certainly be GPS speed tracking to fill the coffers. So to all of those that say "just dont speed and you wont get a fine" GPS speed tracking will get you too.
joolz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2013, 05:45 PM   #49
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The cameras are here to stay, and they are only going to get cleverer and cleverer..... it is 2013.... some of the technology available now would leave you speechless. Better get used to it gents.
Old 10-11-2013, 05:58 PM   #50
1TUFFUTE
Banned

We drove past a camera in a van just before.....no sign anywhere outside and it was unmarked. I thought they had to have a sign saying it was a speed camera.(not mafia or creeps using cameras) i assume that's the reason for the signs....?
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2013, 09:19 PM   #51
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
I saw another style a few years back that had "to serve and collect". They were plastered over the entirety of a Toyota Landcruiser, wheels and all.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:24 PM   #52
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Great stuff, now all the morons who think they can drive unlicensed or unregistered will be taken care of I see this technology as a good thing
Quote:
Originally Posted by EF_6 View Post
Mate i'm telling you it is screwed......Now with the number plate recognition they can get you for unlicensed driving aswell....

Honestly how far are they going to go with this ****.....It is just wrong for the sake of a few kilometres here and there.....I'm ****in over it!

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2013, 11:25 PM   #53
Trump
bitch lasagne

I hate the unlicenced driver argument with a fervent passion. The granting of permission by govco for someone to drive doesn't confer on them special abilities. Nor does revocation of said permission automatically render one useless and unable to drive.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:35 PM   #54
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Soon they will offer you a 20% discount on your rego if you agree to have a camera fitted to your car to earn money for them as you drive around.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2013, 11:37 PM   #55
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

maybe not but here are a few points
by driving unlicenced the driver
  1. has no CTP cover
  2. has no property damage insurance
  3. may be unlicenced due to dangerous behaviour such as drink driving
  4. show zero respect for the law and other road users
  5. feels the rules do not apply to him so how will he drive?
unlicenced drivers have no legal right to use the public road network the may not have passed mandatory skill testing so the odds are not in favour of the unlicenced driver being a safe careful road user. unlicenced and unregistered drivers need to be removed from the road for these reasons and simply because we have to pay to use the road so they should too, quite simple really
Quote:
I hate the unlicenced driver argument with a fervent passion. The granting of permission by govco for someone to drive doesn't confer on them special abilities. Nor does revocation of said permission automatically render one useless and unable to drive.

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Rides:

Old 10-11-2013, 11:38 PM   #56
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cool where do I sign up
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
Soon they will offer you a 20% discount on your rego if you agree to have a camera fitted to your car to earn money for them as you drive around.

Rides:

Old 10-11-2013, 11:45 PM   #57
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6 View Post
maybe not but here are a few points
by driving unlicenced the driver
  1. has no CTP cover
  2. has no property damage insurance
  3. may be unlicenced due to dangerous behaviour such as drink driving
  4. show zero respect for the law and other road users
  5. feels the rules do not apply to him so how will he drive?
unlicenced drivers have no legal right to use the public road network the may not have passed mandatory skill testing so the odds are not in favour of the unlicenced driver being a safe careful road user. unlicenced and unregistered drivers need to be removed from the road for these reasons and simply because we have to pay to use the road so they should too, quite simple really
Registration fees would pay for the roads we use, licencing fees are pure jam for the various roads corporations...

Anyone should be able to be insured irrespective of whether they have permission to drive.

In my eyes at the moment, the "law" has no respect for us, why should we return the respect...?
Old 10-11-2013, 11:46 PM   #58
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

with your attitude I hope you don't drive in the hunter valley
Quote:
Registration fees would pay for the roads we use, licencing fees are pure jam for the various roads corporations...

Anyone should be able to be insured irrespective of whether they have permission to drive.

In my eyes at the moment, the "law" has no respect for us, why should be return the respect...?

Rides:

Old 10-11-2013, 11:51 PM   #59
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6 View Post
with your attitude I hope you don't drive in the hunter valley
I employ common sense when I drive, my actions will never put the lives of other road users, my passengers or myself in harms way. I don't need to be told what to do and how to do it by an over reaching bloated bureaucracy gone mad.
Old 11-11-2013, 12:59 AM   #60
Spurious

Quote:

This is a standard reply from you isn't it? This isn't the first thread I've seen the post in.
Spurious is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post