Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-10-2013, 07:15 PM   #31
prydey
Rob

Default Re: Victoria to hide Speed Cameras

can you not recognise your own car from the rest of the picture?
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 15-10-2013, 07:18 PM   #32
747jet
2 4 turning 2 4 burning

Vic police suck!!!! Only one thing on there minds is money money money.
Old 15-10-2013, 07:33 PM   #33
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
can you not recognise your own car from the rest of the picture?
what state is the plate from?

they could use high definition, for the money.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2013, 07:49 PM   #34
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

2011G6E that was Queensland and now 7 Trucam speeding tickets have been thrown out of Court. Police haven't challenged. Yet!!
Old 15-10-2013, 07:56 PM   #35
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have you had a look at how many dark coloured twin cab Tritons with canopies are on the road lately? There's four more pretty much exactly like ours just owned by workmates at the station out here...

But back to cameras, yes, they could use high definition. They could use different systems. Or, radical crazy idea I know, they could go back to driving around in police cars and bikes, very visibly on the road, and slowing down traffic that way.
It's an old old saying that "the only time a line of traffic on the highway will all be doing exactly the speed limit is when one of them is a police car". Very true.

However, the point, as I said, isn't to slow people down...it's to keep making money with questionable devices. The logic is very simple: if they wanted people to slow down, they would make these things very very visible, not hidden away in bushes, wheelie bins, posts, and other places. They're quite happy to hide them as best they can. letting a speeding car pass by and keep on speeding until they get the notice a week or two later.
There was a short lived TV commercial...not sure if it was national or just Queensland...that showed a guy driving along, and a hidden camera van in the bushes snaps him speeding. It fades out, and shows him on a stretch of road...presumably later on...still speeding towards a curve in the road. He drops a cassette tape and bends to pick it up, goves across the road, and has a head on with an oncoming car. Fade out to a hospital bed where the speeding drivers tearful wife hands him a letter, a speed camera fine, and said "This is for you!". He bursts into tears and says "I'm sorry", and she angrily says "Tell that to his wife and kids!".
Dramatic and emotional. And what did most people immediately say and post letters to the editor about the advert?
"How much longer after the photo was taken did he have the accident? Was it hours later? If the cops had done the "old days" thing and pulled him over straight away instead of snapping a photo and leaving him to keep on speeding, he wouldn't have had the accident".

Sound logic. No wonder they withdrew it quickly.

Last edited by 2011G6E; 15-10-2013 at 08:04 PM.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2013, 08:02 PM   #36
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
Have you had a look at how many dark coloured twin cab Tritons with canopies are on the road lately? There's four more pretty much exactly like ours just owned by workmates at the station out here...
so you can't recognise yours from a picture?

i'm not sure why you keep bringing up this photo. you know it is a picture of your vehicle. you admitted being there. you claim you weren't speeding but the fact that they identified your car from the number plate and got it right, sort of contradicts the argument you are trying to make.
Old 15-10-2013, 08:07 PM   #37
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
so you can't recognise yours from a picture?

i'm not sure why you keep bringing up this photo. you know it is a picture of your vehicle. you admitted being there. you claim you weren't speeding but the fact that they identified your car from the number plate and got it right, sort of contradicts the argument you are trying to make.
Last time I'll post the picture I assure you. My point is this: the photo is unclear, I "accept" it's our car purely because we got the photo and you can't fight these things unless you're willing to take time off work and spend money on solicitors, and the photo of the licence plate looks dodgy. There is another car in the picture, and I don't give a tinkers cuss if it says the vehicle booked was going "away" from the camera...after hearing how other photos have been "modified" I don't trust any of them.

So lets go back onto the subject of the new hidden cameras and the reasoning behind them, whether it's safety or money making.
Old 15-10-2013, 08:09 PM   #38
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
That "police OK with people flashing the lights" thing happened one christmas period here in Queensland. The police said they were happy with people doing it "if they saw someone they thought was driving too quickly". They said it was "proven" to slow people down for quite a while as they expected a hidden camera van somewhere up ahead.

Soon went back to being an offence again however, when they came to their senses and remembered they were supposed to be making money out of the enterprise and not slowing people down...

We have a two way in the Triton now and a handheld in the Celica. That way it makes it very easy to keep up with "road conditions" up ahead when on the highway...*cough*...

Oh, and "don't speed and you've got nothing to worry about"? Sure...keep telling yourself that and revelling in your supreme confidence in the absolute, 100%, complete and total accuracy of an electronic device sitting by the roadside operated by different operators in all sorts of environmental conditions...and forget the recent news story about how radar operators in one state (was it Victoria?) were using photoshop or something to add information onto the photo after getting it from the machine...I'm quite sure that would never happen in any other area...
This was the blowup in the corner of the photo fo what was apparently "our" Triton in my last speed camera ticket...you can't see the plate clearly at all in the big main image (but "a clearer image is used for assessment purposes...honest!"...). A conspiracy nut would ask why there's such a gap between the second and third letter...what letter is that anyway, an F? An R?, a P?...but I just trusted it must be our car and paid up...
How good are CB and Handhelds these days? Just had an unfortunate encounter with a patrol car facing the wrong way hiding in the median strip bushes (rookie clown cop from some rural station with obviously nothing better to do) on a 2km straight past midnight and I dont think a truckie would have seen it without bionic eyes lol
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2013, 08:22 PM   #39
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Last time I'll post the picture I assure you. My point is this: the photo is unclear, I "accept" it's our car purely because we got the photo and you can't fight these things unless you're willing to take time off work and spend money on solicitors, and the photo of the licence plate looks dodgy. There is another car in the picture, and I don't give a tinkers cuss if it says the vehicle booked was going "away" from the camera...after hearing how other photos have been "modified" I don't trust any of them.

So lets go back onto the subject of the new hidden cameras and the reasoning behind them, whether it's safety or money making.
the photo can't be too bad as they managed to send the fine to the correct owner. you know they use a higher resolution picture than the one they send to the recipient.

hiding camera's is to keep you on your toes. hands up how many people slow down to go past a camera, and then speed right back up again?

same with having physical police cars patrolling around. once they turn off, or you turn off, many people will revert back to their illegal practices.

safety isn't really an argument anymore as they aren't fooling anyone and they don't care. they will continue to take happy snaps to reduce state debt.

its not all that difficult to not get caught. i haven't been done speeding for well over 15 years. it can't be all due to luck. i realise some don't agree with speed limits and think they can make up their own rules, but if you do this, you do increase your risk of donating to the state coffers.

like trev said earlier, i work too damn hard for my coin, and its hard enough to make ends meet normally, so if the big black number in the red circle says i can't go beyond a certain speed, then i'll try to keep my car around that figure. of course it will drift over from time to time, but contrary to popular belief, its really not that hard to keep it around the right number.

we can sit here and have the same old arguments every time these threads come up, but the fact is there is a rather large percentage of road users that manage to get by without contributing to the govt, so its not that hard.

i do concede though that it is creating a culture of speedo watching and a lack of respect for nearly all other road rules.
2 users like this post:
Old 15-10-2013, 09:33 PM   #40
lucas2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wonder if the AMEP will do something about this?
lucas2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2013, 11:10 PM   #41
trentski
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas2 View Post
Guess it depends on if they need the money as well.

I was thinking that given the timing of this they must need more money for their xmas parties. If it was about safety and not revenue then they would be plowing the money back into safer roads and driver training, not overseas trips to weddings and the like
trentski is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2013, 11:17 PM   #42
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Lol at the aggression to the rolling road block, I reckon its a good idea.

We'll invite the CFMEU as well ;) Say that Daniel Grollo is going to be there to get them to show up in numbers.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2013, 11:17 PM   #43
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
How good are CB and Handhelds these days? Just had an unfortunate encounter with a patrol car facing the wrong way
Not bad, remote head units, others with Bluetooth and a steering wheel transmit button (GME). Find a suited aerial, some on-glass and so described 'laser' stick on UHF CB aerials are up on Ebay, see also whip types etc.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2013, 01:19 AM   #44
KAM120

Quote:
"the only time a line of traffic on the highway will all be doing exactly the speed limit is when one of them is a police car".
I completely agree with that.
KAM120 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2013, 02:28 AM   #45
FPR
SUPERCHARGED V8

If I were shooting, stabbing or beating someone to death would it be reasonable to take a photo and fine or deal with me in court a few weeks after the fact without stopping me at the time of the offence

If 'speed kills' (going by policing campaigns) then wouldn't you invest more in preventing this by means of more traffic cops, to pull people over, and stop them speeding, and potentially killing people.

All speed cameras hidden or otherwise are just revenue raising BS.
FPR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2013, 03:22 AM   #46
Don Rocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle_Ken View Post
Oh and wait and see the other States follow suit....
UB
We've had speed cameras being hidden in canopy utes done up like tradies round Brisbane for quite a while now, as well as many other disguises (police hiding in bushes with cameras), no signs or anything posted before or after... S'pose now someone's making it official.

Tbh I think they've pushed camera's way too hard. After speaking to quite a few people on the issue, it seems even if people are not prone to speeding they still use quite a lot of their attention just scanning the shoulders for these hidden cameras.

I don't know about most of you but I'd much rather be driving around people going slightly over the limit that are focused on driving, than folks that are sidetracked and not concentrating on where they're driving, in fear that they may mistakenly just pass over the limit.
Don Rocko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2013, 08:11 AM   #47
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPR View Post
If 'speed kills' (going by policing campaigns) then wouldn't you invest more in preventing this by means of more traffic cops, to pull people over, and stop them speeding, and potentially killing people.
And that right there is the entire reason that it's been quite rightly called "The Great Road Safety Lie".
Cameras...especially hidden cameras...don't stop people speeding, and isn't that the point of road "safety" campaigns? Stopping people speeding?

Even a lot of police...such as my nephew...hate speed cameras. They say it's "not police work", as you sit in the van, the beeper or whatever goes off to say the camera has triggered, but he said half the time you have no idea which car it was that triggered it, and then you start to wonder...why was that car speeding? Unregistered? Drunk, Drugged? Stolen car? Boot full of drugs? Unroadworthy car? There are a dozen reasons...but I'm sure he'll mend his evil ways when he gets a photo a fortnight later in the mail...

Cameras are for "money raising", but a visible police presence and physically pulling people over is "road safety", and never the twain shall meet.
3 users like this post:
Old 16-10-2013, 04:18 PM   #48
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

Quote:
And that right there is the entire reason that it's been quite rightly called "The Great Road Safety Lie".
Cameras...especially hidden cameras...don't stop people speeding, and isn't that the point of road "safety" campaigns? Stopping people speeding?

Even a lot of police...such as my nephew...hate speed cameras. They say it's "not police work", as you sit in the van, the beeper or whatever goes off to say the camera has triggered, but he said half the time you have no idea which car it was that triggered it, and then you start to wonder...why was that car speeding? Unregistered? Drunk, Drugged? Stolen car? Boot full of drugs? Unroadworthy car? There are a dozen reasons...but I'm sure he'll mend his evil ways when he gets a photo a fortnight later in the mail...

Cameras are for "money raising", but a visible police presence and physically pulling people over is "road safety", and never the twain shall meet.
I have a few police friends who share similar views. They like being put in the Van because it's easy wages but hate it because they don't feel like they are making a difference. They pretty much sit and read a book or stare out the window listening to the radio. It's not real work and not even close to the reason why they became officers in the first place.
Old 16-10-2013, 05:56 PM   #49
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

I'll be stocking up on spare light globes.....cos if I see any speed camera parked or hidden, it's gonna look like a bus full of Asian tourists with flash photography going off....I'll be flashing my lights like there's an electrical storm in the area.

People slow down when they are warned by fellow motorists which is far more effective than any speeding fine after the fact. The whole point is to curb any potential speeding , right ? Lol.
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2013, 06:18 PM   #50
Lotte
YE-US! Wait. I don't know

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD View Post
Who's up for a non-violent protest on the Monash @ 30km/h? Say a week from now at about 7am?
Isn't the Monash Speed basically 30km/hr at that time anyway?

Also, and correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it considered dangerous driving (and therefore illegal) to do more than 20 under the Speed limit? It's just not really enforced (though they'd do it in this case?)
The Weekender: '06 BF Pursuit, Toxic, lumpy af

Lotte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2013, 07:04 PM   #51
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotte View Post
Isn't the Monash Speed basically 30km/hr at that time anyway?

Also, and correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it considered dangerous driving (and therefore illegal) to do more than 20 under the Speed limit? It's just not really enforced (though they'd do it in this case?)
For the most part, but theres normally patches of better flow.

It's also illegal to have people swarming all over roads too, but that seems to be OK.
Old 16-10-2013, 07:13 PM   #52
Lotte

Quote:
For the most part, but theres normally patches of better flow.

It's also illegal to have people swarming all over roads too, but that seems to be OK.
That last part was a dig at the hypocrisy of Speed cameras ;)

Old 16-10-2013, 07:20 PM   #53
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotte View Post
That last part was a dig at the hypocrisy of Speed cameras ;)
Yeah I figured.
Just thought I'd throw it out there before any more haters jump on.
Old 16-10-2013, 07:27 PM   #54
Lotte

Quote:
Yeah I figured.
Just thought I'd throw it out there before any more haters jump on.
fair call.

Old 16-10-2013, 07:41 PM   #55
noflac52
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kable72 View Post
So provoking someone into punching you holding up traffic on a major road isn't going to have someone look at you and your little "peaceful" possy?
I love the way you can threaten to punch someone in the face then rationalise it and turn it around to make them responsible for it if it happens, wearing no responsibility your self for an act of assault.

Maybe this attitude is one of the things wrong with driving in Australia.
noflac52 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2013, 09:27 PM   #56
Itsme
Experienced Member

Whingers....if you don't speed then there is no problem, you were all taught to drive obeying the road rules!
No excuses......
Itsme is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2013, 10:58 PM   #57
BHDOGS
Banned

Your wrong trublu its ok for people to speed and be caught aslong as its by a policeman in a car if its by a camera then its wrong apparently because people dont speed after being caught by policeman. However they do continuing speeding for months a camera catches them till they receive there fine? An odd logic
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2013, 11:46 PM   #58
Spurious

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu View Post
Whingers....if you don't speed then there is no problem, you were all taught to drive obeying the road rules!
No excuses......
Well said, but people don't care. They need something to whinge about, might get bored otherwise.
I don'e flash my lights to warn of speed cameras anymore. If you speed & get nabbed, shame on you & stiff bickies. Sucks to be you.
Spurious is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 17-10-2013, 07:43 AM   #59
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas2 View Post
Not being smart here, but do you understand the difference between State Governments and Federal Governments? AMEP have been elected into the Federal Government, speed camera's are a State Government domain
Old 17-10-2013, 07:45 AM   #60
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlivverFord View Post
Well said, but people don't care. They need something to whinge about, might get bored otherwise.
I don'e flash my lights to warn of speed cameras anymore. If you speed & get nabbed, shame on you & stiff bickies. Sucks to be you.
Agree 100%, while these suckers keep speeding and paying the Government it is keeping my taxes down, so keep up the good work boys!!!