Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-07-2013, 12:03 PM   #31
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Could the Mondeo replace the Falcon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
Car companies build cars to sell...they don't build cars just for enthusiasts. probably 90% of drivers wouldn't know and wouldn't care which end is doing the driving. Getting the tail out is hardly high on the priorities of the average buyer.

I've been in a few Mondeos...they loaned us one at Ford when we got a towbar fitted to our G6E that we had owned for a week. It was a normal model, a diesel manual. After half an hour driving around Rocky my missus and I looked at one another and both said the same thing...if we'd driven that car first, before the Falcon, we'd have bought it in a heartbeat.
A workmate has a Titanium XR5...awesome car, very euro, goes like the clappers.
If you're just after "an car", then all the people buying Camrys ought to go to Ford and have a look at a Mondeo...it's so much better as a car it isn't funny.
A diesel manual in Australia!!! Someone tell him his dreaming!!

Mendeo in manual has only been available in australia in XR5 level & XR5 was only in petrol.
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 17-07-2013, 12:06 PM   #32
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm still hoping for a last minute change of mind by Ford & we'll build Mondeo Sedan, Hatch & Wagon in petrol, diesel, in Auto & Manual here in AUST.

If they expand the range, drop the price (now that Falcon is gone), they should be able to get Modeo up to & past Falcon numbers I think. Just look at Camry, which is the competiting model.
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2013, 05:17 PM   #33
Bluehoon
Hoon On The Rise

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower View Post
So you would buy an AWD Fusion?
If it comes here and is the goods, then it's a very real possibility.

FGX-XR8 Manual, BFII E-Gas, '11 GSXR 1000 - Love 'em!
FPV Tickford Club of NSW - www.fpvclub.com
Bluehoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2013, 05:52 PM   #34
Cuyper

Not everyone live in a busy capital city. In the bush the ideal car is a diesel manual. Its ridiculous how many cars dont have that option or only have it on the premium models. It makes choosing a car very difficult. It made buying Australian impossible.
Cuyper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2013, 11:33 PM   #35
Buntz
Straight Eight

I would like to point out that nothing in the Ford lineup could ever replace the Falcon, but if anything could try, it would be the Mondeo, and not the Taurus.
Old 18-07-2013, 03:11 AM   #36
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Could Ford's equivalent of the Camry win over a new generation of buyers?

The question assumes the right products to the right people in the right quantities at the right times
In my opinion that vehicle logistics problem is a more pressing than the vehicle itself.

Ford is showing it has real problems with simply getting sufficient quantities of needed products here,
how could Ford could keep up with demand if it was indeed blessed with a desirable vehicle range?

That's the point for me,
is Ford replacing the cost of local manufacturing with an even greater cost coupled with added logistics nightmares?

Watch this space..
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-07-2013, 04:08 AM   #37
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Replace it as WHAT?
Its like asking if you can replace a Harmonica with a screwdriver...
[content removed]
If you're asking "could Ford stick a 'Falcon' badge on an imported FWD 4?" well the answer is "yes, they COULD." Would people buy it? Some.
Would Falcon lovers view it as a Falcon (or "Falcon Replacement")? **** NO.

Last edited by flappist; 18-07-2013 at 04:08 PM. Reason: inappropriate
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 18-07-2013, 07:06 AM   #38
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
Replace it as WHAT?
Its like asking if you can replace a Harmonica with a screwdriver...
[content removed]
If you're asking "could Ford stick a 'Falcon' badge on an imported FWD 4?" well the answer is "yes, they COULD." Would people buy it? Some.
Would Falcon lovers view it as a Falcon (or "Falcon Replacement")? **** NO.
Replace it as a three box mode of transport, with up to date tech under the bonnet and in the cabin. This thread isn't about sticking Falcon badges on Mondeos. Ford have already said the Falcon name will be retired.

Last edited by flappist; 18-07-2013 at 04:08 PM.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-07-2013, 09:02 AM   #39
JG34JA

I would have thought Focus would replace Falcon as FOA's volume selling passenger car, in line with new car buying trends. (Ranger may do better volumes?) A recent trip to the UK saw very few new Mondeos, but many more Focus/Fiesta/B-Max/C-Max.

Basically, what JPD80 said above. How will supply turn out? Are they still trying to work out where to build the next generation in Europe? What will a falling AUD do to pricing/profit?

I guess they could try to use sales and marketing to replace Falcon with Mondeo in that much smaller market of large passenger car (call it "medium" if you want). At least it has hatch and wagon variants and diesel. Someone suggested dropping the price to go head on with the Camry; it was funny to see the vitriol directed at anyone who mentioned that about the EcoBoost Falcon!

If I was buying in that sector I think I'd enjoy the steer better than a Camry. Being honest, I'd probably look at build quality, resale values, the availability/cost of European parts in Australia vs Japanese, the relative dealership experiences; and something else would win. Mazda 6 wagon looks the goods. Maybe this explains its % of its sector?
JG34JA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2013, 11:06 AM   #40
Rodge
Banned

http://media.ford.com/article_displa...ticle_id=35816
Ford Fusion Plug-in hybrid would be the answer to many people's daily drive / commute problems and I might buy one but it will never replace the joy of owning a supercharged FPV so I might retire my FPV to weekend duties, (to make it last longer) and get some sort of quality white-goods appliance car for the boring daily duties stuff.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-07-2013, 12:35 PM   #41
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mondeo can never replace the falcon as an all purpose family sedan, 5 different engine choices in the falcon, all with rwd, every version of the falcon for a family sedan goes like a cut cat (even lpg), all falcons are conventional layout that makes servicing straight forward and cheap, want hero car gt version, want prestigious executive cruiser, falcon has it , want a ute with 4 engine variations falcon has it, want probably the best all around combination of power and economy that has ever been in australia.......... xr6 turbo or it could be argued eco lpi, about the only thing the mondy has I wouldn't mind seeing as an option on the falcon is a hatch model.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-07-2013, 12:43 PM   #42
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodge View Post
Ford Fusion Plug-in hybrid would be the answer to many people's daily drive / commute problems and I might buy one but it will never replace the joy of owning a supercharged FPV so I might retire my FPV to weekend duties, (to make it last longer) and get some sort of quality white-goods appliance car for the boring daily duties stuff.
'Quality white goods appliance cars' can make boring daily duties much more enjoyable...and put a smile on your face on your favourite bends and twists on the weekend...have you driven a Mondeo or Focus lately?
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-07-2013, 03:28 PM   #43
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billydean View Post
I hope you never have to make your living as a comedian.

And I bet you've never driven a Mondeo.
Not in the last 6 months no.

But the one (which had less than 50km on it at the time) was nothing to get excited about infact I found it got my blood pumping about as much as a vanilla milkshake.

I'm not trying to be a comedian, I'm just telling it like I see it and I DONT see this as an alternative to the Falcon, the accountants at ford may but I dont

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2013, 03:37 PM   #44
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NX74205 View Post

You cannot seriously be comparing a Mondeo with a Camry. If you are, then it just shows that you've never driven the Mondeo.

I've driven both. Mondeo is much, much more of a driver's car than a Camry.
Actually I have see my post above, but hey if you like it knock yourself out, the question was Could the Mondeo replace the Falcon? And my belief is no its a boring car and not remotely comparable as an actual car (not a spec sheet) to a falcon, if that is my option for a full size ford sedan, I'll look elsewhere

Old 18-07-2013, 04:25 PM   #45
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadFoot81 View Post
'Quality white goods appliance cars' can make boring daily duties much more enjoyable...and put a smile on your face on your favourite bends and twists on the weekend...have you driven a Mondeo or Focus lately?
You have to laugh at all the comments putting the Mondeo and Focus into the whitegoods category alongside the camry, most have NFI and have barely even driven anything besides a Falcon.

Funnily enough what would the Falcon XT be considered as? I would certainly label it whitegoods on wheels too

Of course the Mondeo can replace the Falcon, it can carry 5 people comfortably, their luggage and handles brilliantly. Not forgetting it is a proven world class car

Last edited by Wretched; 18-07-2013 at 04:37 PM.
Wretched is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 18-07-2013, 05:09 PM   #46
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
You have to laugh at all the comments putting the Mondeo and Focus into the whitegoods category alongside the camry, most have NFI and have barely even driven anything besides a Falcon.

Funnily enough what would the Falcon XT be considered as? I would certainly label it whitegoods on wheels too
Agreed.
Old 18-07-2013, 06:44 PM   #47
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
About as bland and boring as a camry...

Mazda 3 is hardly exciting as well...but its the highest seller...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2013, 07:33 PM   #48
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodge View Post
A boring plug-in hybrid appliance that stays on electric to 135 kph and gets around 30 km range on battery power..
Old 18-07-2013, 07:46 PM   #49
monte.b

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
Actually, it has a better hybrid and plug in hybrid than the camry too..

i must say that is one of the ugliest cars ive ever set eyes on ,the front of it is overhanging the front wheels by about a metre
monte.b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2013, 08:14 PM   #50
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte.b View Post
i must say that is one of the ugliest cars ive ever set eyes on ,the front of it is overhanging the front wheels by about a metre
Just the camera angle, no worse than FG
Fusion's mouth is considered not unlike Aston Martin.

Old 18-07-2013, 08:15 PM   #51
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yeti View Post
And my belief is no its a boring car and not remotely comparable as an actual car (not a spec sheet) to a falcon, if that is my option for a full size ford sedan, I'll look elsewhere
Fair enough, but to compare it with a Camry??

I'll rephrase what I said. Making this comparison suggests to me that you haven't driven both. The Mondeo is so far ahead of the Camry as a driver's car, it's not even close.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2013, 08:54 PM   #52
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NX74205 View Post
Fair enough, but to compare it with a Camry??

I'll rephrase what I said. Making this comparison suggests to me that you haven't driven both. The Mondeo is so far ahead of the Camry as a driver's car, it's not even close.
Sorry but to me they're both just a yawn fest and the fit and finish was better in the camery (though the Mondao was better than I expected in that department)

Old 18-07-2013, 09:09 PM   #53
Bossxr8
Peter Car

The Mondeo might drive well, but the engines are just yawn inducing. The 177kw Ecoboost engine might be ok if they ever decide to sell it here, but the rest of the engine line-up sucks.

It does not come within a bulls roar of the Falcons engine line-up which has a lot of big guns.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 18-07-2013, 10:05 PM   #54
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billydean View Post
Could the Mondeo replace the Falcon?

Size wise it's very similar, the Falcon is around 200mm longer, the Mondeo is slightly wider and higher.

If Ford Australia could fit a four litre motor into a Cortina, they could fit anything into a Mondeo.

The old mondeo was quite a decent car , I had a few rides in the RPM Modeo's a couple of times and the BMW motors made them very fast , the Mondeo 3.2 or 3.5 290 hp v6 would be quite a motor car as well , the styling isn't wonderful but certainly as a medium awd car could be made economical and comfortable with little work , I wouldn't consider any form of fwd ( it aint a mini)
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2013, 10:14 PM   #55
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
The Mondeo might drive well, but the engines are just yawn inducing. The 177kw Ecoboost engine might be ok if they ever decide to sell it here, but the rest of the engine line-up sucks.

It does not come within a bulls roar of the Falcons engine line-up which has a lot of big guns.
Diesel is good if it still comes in diesel.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2013, 10:26 PM   #56
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

to even consider the mondeo as a replacement for the falcon is selling the falcon way short imo and an insult to falcon owners, yes it can have people in it comfortably and can go around a corner.....eventually, so can mums hiundy, ........... but its still a librarians car, i digress ! ............ let us see it try and fill just one version of the falcons shoes.............. the xr6 turbo .......... and suddenly the room went quiet ......... game set and match........thank you ball boys !
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2013, 07:20 AM   #57
munners

I believe the Mondeo could, for the vast majority of owners, not only replace but actually surpass the Falcon. As a day to day car for Mum and the kids it (the Mondeo) looks good, drives well, gets good economy and doesn't have the bogan image associated with it.

Sure, it wont compete as a performance car but what percentage of buyers would actually care about that? Certainly not enough have cared in the past to save the Falcon.

I believe long term that ceasing production here will be good for Ford as a business. Granted, its not good for Australia, but it will eventually improve the way people regard the Ford brand.

Munners
munners is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 19-07-2013, 08:37 AM   #58
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
to even consider the mondeo as a replacement for the falcon is selling the falcon way short imo and an insult to falcon owners, yes it can have people in it comfortably and can go around a corner.....eventually, so can mums hiundy, ........... but its still a librarians car, i digress ! ............ let us see it try and fill just one version of the falcons shoes.............. the xr6 turbo .......... and suddenly the room went quiet ......... game set and match........thank you ball boys !
Right.
Only area for me where the Mondeo falls down is under the bonnet. Rest of of the time I'd own own no worries.
If it were a daily drive then that would be null and void as I'd have another car for fun times anyway.
And IMO a current Titanium Mondeo looks 10 times better than an FGII but looks are subjective ill admit that.
Old 19-07-2013, 10:20 AM   #59
zilo
BANNED

With two versions of a Hybrid offering they just might snatch some sales from Toyota.

Maybe it's not too late to be synonymous with fuel efficiency and low emissions and the Ford logo all in the one sentence according to the public's conception?
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2013, 10:46 AM   #60
rdmr

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
to even consider the mondeo as a replacement for the falcon is selling the falcon way short imo and an insult to falcon owners.
And it has already been done. Mondeo wagon replaced the Falcon wagon. That went well didn't it.
rdmr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post