Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-07-2013, 08:34 AM   #31
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 
Default Re: Best highway fuel economy in your Falcon?

2010 FG XT ZF ... the best I have managed is 6.6L/100km average .... the best since then that I have managed is 6.9L/100km.

As I used to come from driving an LPG ute ... I am used to driving along with keeping momentum up without much throttle input ... takes a bit of time ot master really. But whwen you can get it right ... consumption is pretty good in these things.

A bit blurry but you get the jist:

I want to try a long distance trip in it ... and see how far i can really get in it.

Driving from Sydney's west to North Ryde and back for work all the time and short trips to the shops .... I get about 720km from 65L of petrol ... and I only use E10 as well. That's the norm for me
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 06-07-2013, 11:23 AM   #32
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

13 in xc , 11 in xd , 8in au , 13 in prado , 21 in cruiser Ute , 4 .5 on cbr 1100 , 38lph in boat ...cars are way more economical ..regos are also my killer 4 cars,1 bike,2 boats , 1 trailer...
Old 06-07-2013, 11:44 AM   #33
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by saber View Post
The best I've obtained in my 2006 BFII Egas sedan was 9.3L/100km. Cruise control set to 100-110km/h. Achieved via a Melbourne-Bairnsdale trip.

The Hyundai i20 I recently rented for a Melbourne-Geelong project meeting achieved an average of 5.4L/100km. Cruise control once again set to 100km/h.
My mate owns a car hire franchise in the city and I was helping him for the day. Delivered cars to a few of the local hotels.

I was very impressed when I got behind the wheel of an i20, it was very peppy off the mark.

9.3 for an egas is also outstanding economy!

I read that the i10/i20 is sold LPG or diesel only in some markets... would return figures that will embarrass most hybrids!

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2013, 11:52 AM   #34
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrZ View Post
I was doing a 120 km drive the other day and although my car is not a Falcon, I was amazed to get only 5.0L / 100km. This is a mid-size car, 2.4L GDI petrol, 6-speed automatic. With a 70L tank, that's a theoretical range of 1400km!!

Has anyone managed to ever better this?

PS - I should mention that this figure was achieved going at 90 km/h. Had I been going the full 110, it may have been higher. This is beside the point, though.
What car was this??? Was the reading on the dash or by re-filling and calculating the diference?

Had you been going at 110 your consumption would have jumped around 30%.

Mt Focus diesel 6sp auto will get very low 4's if I were to cruise at 90km/h.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2013, 12:16 PM   #35
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuyper View Post
We consistently saw 7.6l/100km in the old AU 6 auto on long highway runs (legit messured fom the tank). It's retired to the paddock to slowly convert back to dirt now. It had good economy for a tank/barge/boat but completely rubbish compared to a modern car. I get 5.6 17/205s in the Fiesta and my father gets 6.9 in his Kia Sorento which is impressive considering it weighs fully 2 ton and has 18/235 tyres
the kia isnt that diesel?
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2013, 03:43 PM   #36
Olbucko
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Driving north on the Hume near Yass last Thus in an AWD SY Territory fully loaded with tools at 110, but with a high wind behind me and cruise control on, the instantaneous readout on the flat was down to as low as 6 litres per 100 km. I would hate to think how high it would have been going in the opposite direction!
Old 06-07-2013, 04:16 PM   #37
Cuyper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
the kia isnt that diesel?
Yeah they have the Hyundai 2.2 litre diesel in them, 421 nm @1800 rpm, it's an auto by the way
Cuyper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2013, 04:20 PM   #38
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuyper View Post
Yeah they have the Hyundai 2.2 litre diesel in them, 421 nm @1800 rpm, it's an auto by the way
Cheers, as you say not nad for a big vehicle, similar to the terri diesel.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:39 PM   #39
Cuyper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
Cheers, as you say not bad for a big vehicle, similar to the terri diesel.
Yep not bad for an all wheel drive, actually in the real world it does considerably better than the 2wd Territory. My father and his friend both bought one each at the same time to go travelling together and they have been on long trips this year. Both have good points (Territory has better ride and better seats/interior) But the fuel economy, engine and off road are clearly better in the Kia. It's a little better on fuel in general without load but especially once they are towing the caravans, the Kia then does a least 2 litres per hundred less than the Territory.

Once they have arrived somewhere they take the Territory into town and the Kia to the beach/offroad so they have it all covered nicely. (both diesels btw)
Cuyper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2013, 09:30 PM   #40
Vincenzo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

BMW 635 manual - 9,980km average of 9.1L / 100km - Perth / Canberra / Darwin

AU XR6 manual - 7,000km average of 7.5L / 100km - Brisbane / Canberra / Darwin (prior to any engine / exhaust modifications)

Cheers Vincenzo

"WRC is for boys, Group B was for men" - Juha Kankkunen 4 times World Rally Champion

Romanes Eunt Domus - 'people called Romanes they go the house' - You mean Romani Ite Domum

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Vincenzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2013, 09:42 PM   #41
GCRXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mmmmm a timely topic. I traveled from Rockhampton to Townsville for the 400 and the XR50 returned 7.7. I thought I had a wee problem with her computer until I refilled the tank. Maths showed 7.8. Flaming' thing is acting like a four pot now that I've traded it. Ah we'll ...
Old 07-07-2013, 03:47 AM   #42
jstanovic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My missus Honda Jazz averages 5.0-5.8 depending if AC is used or not.Doesn't matter how you drive it or at what speed. Adelaide/Melb on one 40L tank was cool! Was on E for a while though...

My FG ute with canopy/roofrack/ladders nd about 700kg of load averages about 14.5L around town but I was pleased to see this last week, just filled up and jumped on the Kwinana freeway for 20km. After about 150km of 50/50 hwy/suburbia with a gentle right foot it is sitting on 11.2. I think the dash readout is about 2L/100km optimistic though...

jstanovic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2013, 09:14 AM   #43
Slow Ute

Wife's xtrail gets about 8.5 on highway. around town it gets a shockingly bad 11.5. Don't buy a cvt auto

My new old BA ute gets a pretty crap 11.5 on the highway. Going to give it a birthday me thinks and probably get rid of the crappy aftermarket exhaust on it. Probably too big

Hired a hundy i45 a few years ago. Averaged 5.7 from brissy airport to the gold coast doing 110(maybe) on the freeway, thought it was a oil burner. Nope direct injections petrol. Very impressed.
2005 toyota hilux V6 auto 14.9 @89mph SOLD :the_finge
starting new project 2007 (probably 2009) sleep:
Slow Ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2013, 09:36 AM   #44
ZedTee
Just kickin' up dust

I average 11 to 12 litres per hundred normally in the xr8. It's pushing a big Bullbar though, before the bar went on it used to do 10 l/100. All the while my 6 pot Xg will do 14 l/100 and my 6 pot ba I had did between 13 and 14 l/100 with the same bar as the xr8. Now I'm using it all the time towing trailers with hay, grain, fencing gear I haven't seen it below 15 to 16l/100, which is still not bad for what it is!

2 Time Australian National Circlework Champion 2014 & 2017
First Falcon to win the National Circlework Title! Click here
First Muppet to win the National Circlework Title Twice! Click here

3rd 2015 18th 2016 2nd 2018
1st Bendigo Bute Ute show Circlework 2015, 2016 and 2017
ZedTee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2013, 12:33 PM   #45
Billydean
White Rock

I drove from Macksville in NSW to Cairns in February, 2,225kms at 8.6 in my XR6.
Billydean is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2013, 01:04 PM   #46
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

I can get to Sydney from Tamworth (415kays) easily in under half a tank in my nearly dead stock Au sticking to the speed limits, getting around 9.6l/100kays combined.

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2013, 01:47 PM   #47
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrZ View Post
Just wondering what people's best figure is? I'm talking about long-term average (at least 30 min of driving), not instantaneous.
i think you should have made it 'at least 1 full tank of driving' rather than 30 min minimum.

my zf equipped fg ave 7.9L/100km over 5000km. adelaide to brisbane and return, including at least 2 tanks driving around in brisbane for a month. 4 people on board and boot full of luggage.

and people say falcons are thirsty.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-07-2013, 02:01 PM   #48
STINKY NINJA
Banned

I have a fg turbo,ba xr8 and a eb v8 i dont know what good fuel economy is lol,i could be part owner of caltex with the money i spend on fuel
Pretty sure all my cars get around 10 lph on the freeway,city is another story
STINKY NINJA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2013, 04:00 PM   #49
MFP508

Just did Brisbane to Ballarat and back a week later
(3650km round trip, not counting touring around Ballarat)
both longhaul trips the average economy sat steady on 7.2
Although i only use her to get to work and back (13.4 km round trip) Ive taken her to the GC twice & Mooloolaba once in 2 years
Im impressed given i only had to fill the tank twice after leaving each city(filled up at each) The downer is the price..155/L Bris 22/06, Tamworth 148/L 23/06, Narrandera 140/L 32/06 and Ballarat cost 131/L 28/06
Old 07-07-2013, 04:56 PM   #50
69XWGT

Best I got out my Falcons was the EL XR6 5speed
Sth Brisbane to Nambucca Heads, air on, cruise set to 105kph.
Fuel BP Ultimate

6.5 Litres per 100Ks
69XWGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2013, 05:40 PM   #51
lucas2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just managed 7.3L/100km average speed of 77km/hr..mixture of 60-80-100 speed zones.
Edit: BF with ZF
lucas2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2013, 05:55 PM   #52
SVR73
Mr Polish

Best figure I got in my AU Forte was 1175 km per tank. The AU XR6 VCT sedan, 825 km. not sure what that is per 100 km
68 litre tank
SVR73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-07-2013, 06:07 PM   #53
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVR73 View Post
Best figure I got in my AU Forte was 1175 km per tank. The AU XR6 VCT sedan, 825 km. not sure what that is per 100 km
68 litre tank
That figure for the Forte is awesome, well done! Early sevens, high six litres per hundred kays?

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2013, 06:14 PM   #54
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas2 View Post
Just managed 7.3L/100km average speed of 77km/hr..mixture of 60-80-100 speed zones.
Edit: BF with ZF
Yeap, when I had my BF XR6 (ZF auto), the best I saw was a 7.3L/100 km's trip. If you keep the speed at or slightly under 100 k.p.h. on the open road a naturally aspirated inline six falc can be pretty good on the gas.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2013, 09:19 PM   #55
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

TTv8 has a lot to do with driving style one tank I can drive out out of NSW from Sydney but quick sprint around the block 1/4 of tank easy !! The GTE we take it more sedate ! Haven't even checked fuel consumption .. Lol
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2013, 09:33 PM   #56
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A few years back, I spent the week driving back and forwards between Sunshine Coast Uni and home in my FG G6E. Only a few km to the highway at either end, 150 km round trip day after day. The G6E gave an average fuel economy of 6.9l/100. Earlier on this year, repeated the same trip in a Territory diesel (RWD) and ended up with a average fuel economy of 7.2l/100. Both times the traffic was light. Of course, put the foot down and both really like to drink ...
whynot is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2013, 11:23 PM   #57
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just goes to show the falcon running even straight petrol can do very well with fuel use on the highway considering it is a big family sized car, even in the burbs it can be pretty decent if you can have a bit of respect for the accelerator pedal.
2 users like this post:
Old 08-07-2013, 03:03 PM   #58
BlueOvalPrint

My 2009 G6ET regularly does 7.9 l/100 on Canberra-Sydney runs, with the cruise pretty much locked on at 118 between Eagle Hawk and Campbelltown/the M5 entry (depending on the volume of numpties around...)

Back in March I managed both 7.9 average consumption AND 109km/h AVERAGE speed between south Canberra (Tuggeranong) and Eastern Creek - THAT was a good run
BlueOvalPrint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2013, 03:24 PM   #59
GT2

18l/100km's in my 393CI windsor powered XW GT on a trip from Sydney to Bathurst.
4 speed with 3.5:1 gears.
Great drive, well worth every drop used.
36 gallon tank made it with plenty in reserve.
GT2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2013, 04:38 PM   #60
Vincenzo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVR73 View Post
68 litre tank
A simple formula to work it out is Litres used divided by distance travelled. In this case 68 litres / 1175km (68 divided by 11.75)

This works out at 5.78L / 100km for the Forte

and 8.24L / 100km for the XR6

Average for the XR, amazing for the Forte! (based on using a full 68 litres.)

I still can't crack 900km for 65 litres.

Cheers Vincenzo

"WRC is for boys, Group B was for men" - Juha Kankkunen 4 times World Rally Champion

Romanes Eunt Domus - 'people called Romanes they go the house' - You mean Romani Ite Domum

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by Vincenzo; 08-07-2013 at 04:47 PM. Reason: add a formula
Vincenzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post