Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 22-01-2013, 08:10 PM   #31
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Default Re: Buying a small 4 cyl buzzbox to save fuel?

Here we go again...all the horsepower heroes bagging out people who buy fuel efficient cars.

Can't we all just agree that:

Fun doesn't necessarily equal thirsty
Efficient doesn't necessarily equal poxy
Old 22-01-2013, 08:21 PM   #32
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadFoot81 View Post
Here we go again...all the horsepower heroes bagging out people who buy fuel efficient cars.
Where?
Old 22-01-2013, 08:26 PM   #33
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

My 1.8 litre buzz box was getting 30l/100km. Phillip Island, semi-respectable lap times revving to 8600ish rpm. I'd say that it was part way to matching a V8's economy!
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
This user likes this post:
Old 22-01-2013, 08:29 PM   #34
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why do people call 4 cylinder car buzz boxes. Whyyyy??
Old 22-01-2013, 08:30 PM   #35
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Our G6E uses way less fuel on the highway than our 1982 Toyota Celica with a 2 liter four and five speed manual.

You have to remember though that way back then, the "magic number" to aim for was 10ltr/100km from a car...if you bettered that, you were really onto something. My Celica gets around that on the highway. The G6E, tootling along on cruise at 100 to 110 gets down under 8ltr/100 regularly.

Nowadays four cylinder cars have grown in size and, more importantly, weight over the years. A Corolla is huge, "small" hatchbacks have heaps of room inside. But the weight...we used to imagine that in "the future" cars would inevitably get lighter and lighter with modern materials...instead they've got heavier and heavier.

When we had a VS Berlina, we decided that we might look at brand new four cylinder cars. It would have to be an auto as the missus only has an auto licence. We were shocked at the fuel figures, especially seeing as how popular autos are now and the increasing number of ratios they have. We decided to stick with the Berlina, as it got better economy on the highway than most of the fours we looked at...

I think in Queensland at least registration is a big factor in peoples choices...even we are starting to feel the pinch because we have a couple of vehicles. It costs us about $820 for the G6E, $657 for the four cylinder Celica, and a staggering and ludicrous $420 for my GSX1400 motorcycle! The old WB ute, when we eventually register it, will cost well over a grand here in the Sunshine State...

Believe me...when you have bills like that coming in, you do look for fuel economy as a prime point when buying a car...forget 0-100, forget quarter mile times...what's it going to cost me a week to run?
Old 22-01-2013, 08:32 PM   #36
Stagg
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled View Post
This I never understand either... I think the only car I would call a buzzbox is an RX3 with a catback exhaust on it... Those things sound like a mosquito on steroids inside a tin can

I think the highest I've ever seen my fuel economy go on the fairmont was planting my foot I hit about 45L/100km... That was absolutely flat foot & hitting redline...
Old 22-01-2013, 08:46 PM   #37
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yawn,yawn,yawn
You people in your wee little buzz boxes getting so called great economy,in cars that weight just over a tonne,with all ya mates,fully loaded,make me sick
Drive a petrol 3 tonne 4x4,that gets on average between 20-25 L per 100Ks, yeah 5 Ks or less to the litre .............

We all buy different cars to do different things,to me i dont care how safe a car is proclaimed,or how cheap it should be to run, i buy what suits my needs, regardless of economy its there to do a job
My daily is a 4 L AU tray back, cheap enuf to run even as a daily commute
Gets good economy , has great power when needed and something alot of wizz bang 4s cant do, has enuf power when needed to get up hills today,not tomorrow
To me its the overall package, no point sitting on the speed limit being "Mr Honest Citizen" and taking all day about it to save a whoppin $10 a week
Old 22-01-2013, 08:48 PM   #38
WPR1

Love my V8 don't care how much it costs. In the end it only costs a few extra dollars a week to drive a car i enjoy driving.
2 users like this post:
Old 22-01-2013, 09:02 PM   #39
dieseltrain79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bought a 91 Daihatsu Applause to run round in while I do some work on my Soarer ..

So far it's averaging 6.6l / 100 km mixed driving with the AC cranking !

Cost effective whilst I do some refreshing of my " other daily " which has seen over 350 1/4 mile runs !

Oh it cost $1250 needed injectors serviced & a clutch . Owes me $1700 and I'm certain I won't lose much on it being 1owner when it comes time to offload

1991 Toyota Soarer TT - 11.72 @ 116.7mph

2004 Ford Escape XLT V6 - Family Ride .
Old 22-01-2013, 09:12 PM   #40
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled View Post
Generally the NVH is worse in small cars, couple that with low capacity engines that are (generally) mated to transmissions with short gearing and you have a car that buzzes.

I love my Fiesta, but it does buzz (I use the term buzz box affectionately however)
Old 22-01-2013, 09:40 PM   #41
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I bought a 4 cylinder Japanese 'buzz box' because it's smaller and takes up less space in my garage and in car parks, has comparable performance to the old Falcon it replaced, and I find it much easier car to get around in and live with everyday. It has 5 star ANCAP, countless airbags and bluetooth (ticked all the boxes) and I trust Mitsubishi to provide me with a reliable, no-nonsense product. The fact that it uses half the fuel of my old car is a bonus! I was originally planning to upgrade to an FG Falcon, but a decent second hand one was gonna cost nearly 20k (that's a lot of money when a brand new Hyundai is what, 12 grand??) the 'problems with your FG' thread put me off, plus I have no need for a full size sedan, so I jumped aboard the import bandwagon and probably won't look back (that is, unless a nice Fairlane comes my way). I could have bought a big 6 cylinder car but unless you want some flogged out ex-fleet XR6, they cost too much money compared to a smaller car that will tick all the same boxes and is more trouble-free.
Old 22-01-2013, 09:59 PM   #42
Stagg
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah actually the reason I first bought my CBR250 wasn't because I wanted to get into motorbikes, it was because I hated what my Fairmont was costing to run. Also, I got sick of parking fines and paying silly amounts for parking in Melbourne city & inner suburbs.

My bike costs me $20 for 500km riding, in Vic it's legal to park your bike on the footpath which is completely free (as long as it's not in the way of foot traffic which is subjective in itself but still). I mean, seriously, super cheap, takes up a tiny amount of space, $50 for a service, free parking in Melbourne, sure safety is an issue but other than the safety side of things, a motorbike is the ultimate buzz box!
Old 22-01-2013, 10:20 PM   #43
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Fuel use varying between 5 on the highway to 9L/100km in town; 0-100 in 6.7 (according to Motor Magazine).

I'm happy with that.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
Old 22-01-2013, 11:00 PM   #44
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

I bought a blackbird to drive to work 3-4 litres a hundred but needs a new back tyre every 5 thou ..my maths says it don't matter , but 5 Regos and a heavy foot costs me ..its a good idea to have a cheapy so you can drive your v8 on weekends , if I lived in a city I would drive a little car for sure , but if you want to travel more than 50 ks outta town then big it is .
The prado is meant to get 8 litres a hundred ...I average 14 , I averaged 10 in my old swift ..I don't think it matters what I drive ..
Old 22-01-2013, 11:25 PM   #45
Halfmo Rocks
Bearded Hermit

i downsized from a BF XR6 nearly 12 months ago, to mu '03 renault clio, with a 1.6L.
i did it both to save fuel, and to get a bit of cash to pay some bills.
the gearing is obviously city biased...so a falcon, even with the boring 4 speed auto, will get much better economy on the highway...but this little frog will almost catch a hybrid for economy in the city/suburbs...and can obviously out perform one
when i behave myself i have seen 5.7L/100kms...but normally sits around 6.6-7L
on the same roads, same traffic...only 1 tank of fuel did i ever get below 11L/100kms in a falcon...and that was only down to 10.7L.
so massive fuel savings...but more expensive servicing/parts/repairs on a frog in this country, pretty much undoes all that money saved

falcon is obviously more comfortable...i'm not the biggest fella around, but at just under 6 foot & a bit over 100kgs...i was not in the design template for that car
much easier to park than a big aussie tank though...so that's something...lol

previously...AUII Futura, BAII XR6T ute, BFII XT, BF XR6...with a holden barina & a renault clio thown in at times of financial crisis
Old 22-01-2013, 11:52 PM   #46
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i`d rather pay a few extra dollars a week for my big falcon than put up with a higher stressed, short life, unsafe in a rear crash ..........buzz box, are little buzz boxes really that cheap to run? probably a little bit, but you wear out two of them to a big locally made car over the long term,
you can pry my cold dead hands from my big car before i would trade for a littleun !
Old 23-01-2013, 12:04 AM   #47
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
i`d rather pay a few extra dollars a week for my big falcon than put up with a higher stressed, short life, unsafe in a rear crash ..........buzz box, are little buzz boxes really that cheap to run? probably a little bit, but you wear out two of them to a big locally made car over the long term,
you can pry my cold dead hands from my big car before i would trade for a littleun !
Hang on.....don't you drive an AU with a bottle of gas in the boot?
Old 23-01-2013, 12:29 AM   #48
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist View Post
Hang on.....don't you drive an AU with a bottle of gas in the boot?
yes i drive the glorius Au, but alas no gas ......unless i have macca`s
2 users like this post:
Old 23-01-2013, 12:44 AM   #49
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

depends what you want really. I buy cars I like. that way i'll look after them. so long as you like the car who cares. I find it funny how people used too say that my missus old TN magna would have a better fuel economy the my AU sedan and ute. they actually where very shocked too find out the AUs flogged it with fuel economy. the N16 pulsar she has now is the best car we have with fuel economy. but in saying that both my ute and sedan have a better kilometre range owing too the bigger tanks. I think a lot of people think that a smaller tank to fill means better fuel economy as well personally.
Old 23-01-2013, 01:04 AM   #50
Vincenzo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

2001 AU 3 XR6 hp motor manual.

Worst figures around town - last tank 14L / 100km.
Usual figures around town - 11L / 100km.
Best figures around town - 10L / 100km.

Worst figures for highway usage - 10.5L / 100km
Usual figures for highway usage - 08.5L / 100km
Best figures for highway usage - 07.1L / 100km

How could you not be happy with that

In the last solar car challenge from Darwin to Adelaide wasn't there a story about an FG XR6 support vehicle that averaged 6.1L / 100km?

Cheers Vincenzo

"WRC is for boys, Group B was for men" - Juha Kankkunen 4 times World Rally Champion

Romanes Eunt Domus - 'people called Romanes they go the house' - You mean Romani Ite Domum

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 23-01-2013, 01:49 AM   #51
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 XC View Post
Yawn,yawn,yawn
You people in your wee little buzz boxes getting so called great economy,in cars that weight just over a tonne,with all ya mates,fully loaded,make me sick
Drive a petrol 3 tonne 4x4,that gets on average between 20-25 L per 100Ks, yeah 5 Ks or less to the litre .............

We all buy different cars to do different things,to me i dont care how safe a car is proclaimed,or how cheap it should be to run, i buy what suits my needs, regardless of economy its there to do a job
My daily is a 4 L AU tray back, cheap enuf to run even as a daily commute
Gets good economy , has great power when needed and something alot of wizz bang 4s cant do, has enuf power when needed to get up hills today,not tomorrow
To me its the overall package, no point sitting on the speed limit being "Mr Honest Citizen" and taking all day about it to save a whoppin $10 a week

Ha ha ha, I've seen some buzz boxes whip the asses of big cars....where have you been!!!
2 users like this post:
Old 23-01-2013, 08:05 AM   #52
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpblue1000 View Post
I don't disagree, Id prefer to be in the BA too, hence the word statistically used in my post. As you know there are many varying factors involved in a comparing incidents leading to fatalities, from driver demographic to dynamic abilities. But 'statistically', when all factors have been weighted and balanced 'statistically' there is little benefit to car size as proven in the study. Therefore in my mind the argumant of placing a cost of a life in the argument about fuel economy is flawed. 'Statistically' you are equally likely to die in a falcon as a getz, however with a getz you saved a shed load of cash along the way. (I will ignore the social issues pertaining to driving a Hyundai for now)

JP
You live in a "statistical" world, I'll live in the real one!!
Old 23-01-2013, 08:38 AM   #53
strobe

I think my BA XR8 might have turned into a 4 cyl buzzbox. Usually I run at 20l/100km, sydney traffic commuting. Did a couple of hundred k's on the freeway about a month a go, and now I'm stuck on 17.4. Had a call from BP the other day asking if I was ok.
2 users like this post:
Old 23-01-2013, 09:49 AM   #54
XWGT