Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-12-2012, 11:49 PM   #31
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 
Default Re: Vl turbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 XC View Post
A bog stock BA has more power in n/a guise that any factory Vl turbo had ...
Hoon laws aside, there are faster n/a sixes,nice P plate friendly that do bad things to even a warmed 3L Vl,nowadays
But the BA was a much heavier car than the lightweight VL, which accelerated well because of the relatively high power to weight ratio.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2012, 03:03 AM   #32
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I learned to drive in my uncles n/a vl exec in the late 90s it was a low km car but always had issues blew the headgasket had power steering rack failures all the plastics in side were creacking and falling apart he had the front end re done and it still handled like crap to be honest i never enjoyed that car and a mate had a 10 sec manual vl built by jpc in melbourne was a well known vl shop here in melbourne and i drove that thing aswell he spent heaps on suspension and ot was still no where near as good as my esp it felt like it was all over the road even just cruising at 60kph i honestly did enjoy the noises the thing made with a massive wastegate screamer pipe and the cooler flutter thats about all liked about it

Also i have had a vr exec as a company car and a vs ss i foolishly bought as i never liked commodores for their handling was just to help a mate out of a tight spot and honestly they both drove the same as my uncles vl my cousin has a vt exec and that thing still drives like the vl i drove handling wise and he's had the car from 6 months old so i dunno maybe just me
Boza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2012, 12:50 PM   #33
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That ice blue Calais on the previous page is a bloody good looking car.........

On another note, in stock form they were not quick at all. I remember when my parents bought a EF Gli brand new, and I could not believe how much faster than my VL their car was. Been a Ford man through and through ever since.
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 12-12-2012, 01:05 PM   #34
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

IMO the VL turbo is the reason why we have the XR6T. It showed Australian wanted turbo.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2012, 01:12 PM   #35
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Reading this thread makes me miss mine although it wasn't a turbo.

I think I'll end up getting another one, but not as a daily and it has to be a V8 even though the turbo would kill it. I was going to get a V8 Calais, but I ended up with my SS instead.

I definitely would like another one because even though they're over 25 years old and don't handle very well I kind of miss their crudeness in a way. I loved driving mine.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2012, 01:21 PM   #36
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Heaps of VLs around, which is good considering their age. Plenty of steeters running 9s too....
Fiesta_Man69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2012, 03:09 PM   #37
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Reading this thread makes me miss mine although it wasn't a turbo.

That was a good looking car mate.
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2012, 03:22 PM   #38
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

When i was a teen in the early 90's every man and his dog wanted a 5-0 VL Calais, turbo's never got a mention.

I loved the things and desperately wanted a burgandy or white Calais even though i had been brainwashed into believing Ford were the only car worthy of buying.
The flip up light covers and bob tail boot gave them a great appearance amongst the backdrop of mundane offerings from that era.

When i had enough money and had banged up my learners bomb enough i signed a contract on a white VL exec, in 93 they were still pulling 13k.

Didnt go through with it in the end, the old man spat it, so i bought a mint V8 HX Kingswood instead, and spent the rest giving it some personal touches.

That made for interesting conversation at the dinner table...
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2012, 05:42 PM   #39
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled View Post
IMO the VL turbo is the reason why we have the XR6T. It showed Australian wanted turbo.
So near 30 years later the general public are goin all gooy over turbos and its all reletive to the VL ???
Do you think for a second if nissan thought it was a good idea we in aussie land would have had them in our 3 L skylines ???
George Fury in his what 2 L turboed skyline pumped near 500 HP ,dont recall too many VL turbos racing on a track
Good motor for the time ,yeah sure, overrated you bet
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2012, 07:10 PM   #40
Dash_XR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

30 years? 87 to 02?

Wasn't there an XD or XF turbo that never got off the ground too?
Rapid Systems Intercooler & Battery Relocation - ID 1000 Injectors - Process West Surge Tank - Venom 100 Cell Bolt On Cat - XForce 3.5 inch Catback - Plazmaman 4 inch Turboside Intake - Crow HD Valve Springs - Glowshift Gauges (Oil temp, Oil Pressure, Boost, Volt) - Malwood Opt 5 - XR50 Interior - FG2 Limited Ed 19's - Nitto Invo's

Dash_XR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2012, 07:16 PM   #41
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash_XR View Post
30 years? 87 to 02?

Wasn't there an XD or XF turbo that never got off the ground too?
There was....I remember seeing a magazine cover posted on here.

I don't know why but...my mind is telling me AWD as well =\

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2012, 07:31 PM   #42
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Don't forget the EA turbos!

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2012, 07:46 PM   #43
nstg8a

I'd love a Vl Calais turbo, all walky kitted. The most in your face Holden until that yellow gtsr things.

Holden have almost always made good looking cars, really the Australian car scene has grown up pretty well, not too many ugly ducklings in its past. Just a pity not enough other countries like the same things.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2012, 11:12 PM   #44
GREGL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why do some people have a problem admiring a non Ford badge, and along the way make inane comparisons with a race car, a falcon six of the day and any other reason under the sun to put down what in IT'S DAY was a pretty good piece of kit. The falcon had ESP which was nice, but did not have the free spinning smooth engine that to this day is one of the better sounding sixes with a bigger exhaust. I have NEVER heard a Ford six do that crackle on a downshift that sounds so sweet as that 3 Ltr can do.
Rust! the Falcon was by no means a drama free car. Same spots and some cases even more, Xd I had in the early 90's showed rust below both screens and above the windscreen as well.Panel beater mate at the time started fixing it and just kept finding more and more.Ended up pulling all hang panels and riddled all down the inner gauards as well. Not bad for a 10 yr old car hey.
That same car was also good for unintentional 360s if asked to pull up at anything like a emergency stop in the wet So everyone has their opinions on what was or is a good car.
The only real fault with the VL was one of the rust spots that did develop was right above the ECU so a leak would kill it eventually. other than that it was horses for courses. they would give most vehicles a run for their money at the time.
GREGL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2012, 11:37 PM   #45
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREGL View Post
Why do some people have a problem admiring a non Ford badge, and along the way make inane comparisons with a race car, a falcon six of the day and any other reason under the sun to put down what in IT'S DAY was a pretty good piece of kit. The falcon had ESP which was nice, but did not have the free spinning smooth engine that to this day is one of the better sounding sixes with a bigger exhaust. I have NEVER heard a Ford six do that crackle on a downshift that sounds so sweet as that 3 Ltr can do.
Rust! the Falcon was by no means a drama free car. Same spots and some cases even more, Xd I had in the early 90's showed rust below both screens and above the windscreen as well.Panel beater mate at the time started fixing it and just kept finding more and more.Ended up pulling all hang panels and riddled all down the inner gauards as well. Not bad for a 10 yr old car hey.
That same car was also good for unintentional 360s if asked to pull up at anything like a emergency stop in the wet So everyone has their opinions on what was or is a good car.
The only real fault with the VL was one of the rust spots that did develop was right above the ECU so a leak would kill it eventually. other than that it was horses for courses. they would give most vehicles a run for their money at the time.
VLs are reknowned for rust around the windows, but I never had any trouble with mine. Up until I sold it the only issues were it needed a new dash and the paint had faded on the roof. Other than that it was solid for its age.

They're the kind of car people love or hate due to their reputation in the car scene. A lot of people give them bad names though it's not the car's fault.

Like any car they'll be rubbish without maintenence, but with some tlc they're quite durable and last for years. Perhaps it's the whole stigma of a Japanese engine in an Australian car which has always divided opinions on them.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2012, 12:16 AM   #46
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Don't forget that silky smooth six was actually a jap engine to be honest holden could probably never design a engine like that and that horrible buick v6 that followed that had the timing chain death rattle
Boza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2012, 10:54 AM   #47
RAPID_BA
Banned

VL turbos are a formiddable opponent for anycar, modern day cars included.

But to buy one now basically means you have to restore it as any VL turbo for sale will have issues. I know of a few Gem VL turbos but the owners would never sell.

The BA turbo or LS1 seems to be relatively cheap to buy and still in good condition. Im just thankful the authorities dont let P-Platers get their hands on them, absolute carnage if they did.
RAPID_BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2012, 11:00 AM   #48
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAPID_BA View Post
VL turbos are a formiddable opponent for anycar, modern day cars included.
* if modded
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2012, 11:15 AM   #49
ultvict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAPID_BA View Post
The BA turbo or LS1 seems to be relatively cheap to buy and still in good condition. Im just thankful the authorities dont let P-Platers get their hands on them, absolute carnage if they did.
True that. I spun out a few times in the AU. If it had been written off next year I know I would have gone the G6E turbo, kinda scary to give a 22yr old that much power...
ultvict is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2012, 07:53 PM   #50
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I had the equvelant years skyline silo and the only thing the VL turbo had on me was outright power,everywhere else it was dusted
The skyline although n/a was a far and beyond more refined car,IMO
Id have a series 1,2 or 3 skyline silo GTS in a heartbeat
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2012, 08:03 PM   #51
Sioso
irregular member

My father had a VL Vacationer wagon with the 5.0L, power from these motors was 122kw and 323NM.

I can't imagine how it only made 122kw, I remember it being quick as a kid, I think it just sounded fast.
Sioso is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2012, 08:04 PM   #52
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I never been a massive fan of them but I guess when I got my licence I had much better options.

My mate has a very clean one but I just see it and think meh. Not bad but not great if anything it is just a good example of an old car. If it weren't for the engine it wouldn't rate a mention really.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2012, 08:20 PM   #53
BLU-220
FG XR50 TURBO
Donating Member3

how the hell did we get a vl turbo thread in the best ford forum in australia, i'm not sorry 'cause i'm a true blue ford fan, i hate the lion hugging helmet cars, i am not a fan of turbo cars never have never will, but any b series turbo is 10x better then the crappy vl
BLU-220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2012, 09:43 PM   #54
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Holden really had no choice but to go to the excellent RB30 engine for the VL...the venerable old Holden six had reached it's final zenith in the form of the fantastic "black" 3.3 liter six in the VK...especially the EFI version. We had one in a Calais, and it was amazing. The head design was close to a Yella Terra, the extractors were stainless tuned length, it had an alloy timing gear, and the EFI was nicely set up and looked good.

What it couldn't do was be easily converted to run on unleaded in a financially viable way.

Look at a VL Turbo Calais (especially in red) and try and honestly say it wasn't one of the best looking Australian cars of the late-eighties era...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-12-2012, 11:18 PM   #55
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
...the venerable old Holden six had reached it's final zenith in the form of the fantastic "black" 3.3 liter six in the VK...especially the EFI version. We had one in a Calais, and it was amazing. The head design was close to a Yella Terra, the extractors were stainless tuned length, it had an alloy timing gear, and the EFI was nicely set up and looked good...
Stop making me nostalgic! There are a handful around my area with for sale signs on them... I might just be tempted!

But that will most likely lead to buy a doner car... and a 304 stroked out to a 383.... and a complete teardown and rebuild.... and maybe an entirely new suspension setup... and driveline...

*sigh*
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2012, 11:55 PM   #56
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Id be more inclined to get a XE-XF turbo. It may not be anywhere near as good as the RB30 Commode, but hey its a Ford forum after all.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2012, 12:08 AM   #57
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagleheart View Post
Id be more inclined to get a XE-XF turbo. It may not be anywhere near as good as the RB30 Commode, but hey its a Ford forum after all.
Lucky the dohc falls into a xf as easy as ....

Dohc turbo in a light xf will show up the vast majority of Vl,s
Old 14-12-2012, 12:20 AM   #58
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post
Lucky the dohc falls into a xf as easy as ....

Dohc turbo in a light xf will show up the vast majority of Vl,s

Except barra powerd Vls

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2012, 07:17 AM   #59
nstg8a

Lol lucky the chances of running into one of them on the street are pretty slim.

Of test m tune at willowbank might be a different story.
Old 14-12-2012, 08:25 AM   #60
FGX-351
Supercharged Mang-mobile

The old man had both, XF S pack and a VL exec when we were growing up.

........my first car was an almost identical XF S pack and have been a Ford man since.

I can see why people like the engines(even the detuned, unleaded 304), but in all honesty i've never really thought of the VL commodores as anything special.
I know horses for courses but I just don't understand the appeal of them.

With that said the XF was no modern marvel(drives like a tractor compared to my EL lol) but to me it always felt like a much more modern, comfortable car.

Ryan: Would never have expected you to have parted ways with yours :P, looked quite good with the VY SS 18s.

Doesn't your old man own the V8 VL?
I remember seeing the build thread a few years ago.
09/00 VX HSV XU6 Build #0001 of 0171
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....09#post5571209
-- Best E/T: |14.982 @92.12mph | R/T:0.013 | 60' 2.213| 330: 6.283 | 1/8: 9.624 @ 73.17mph | 1000: 12.529 | 25Deg, N/A Hum, 1010mb | Willowbank Raceway 7/12/16

Tickford EL Falcon XR6 RIP
-- Factory Manual
-- Best E/T: |14.991 @ 92.71mph | R/T: 0.607 | 60': 2.215 | 660': 9.665 |13Deg, 86%H, 1024mb, 184RA @ Willowbank Raceway
FGX-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post