Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-06-2012, 11:11 AM   #31
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Default Re: Ford finally admit their marketing isn't working

Issues:

(1) No announcement on future of Falcon. More column space has been dedicated to end of Falcon than it's possible future. Fix please.

(2) Not all Ford imports are new or relevant. Kuga is aged and expensive - but I do respect they are trying to go 'prestige' with it. RS was at the end of the model run. New Ford product seems to take an extra year to get to Australia after they go onsale elsewhere. How is it that Mazda can get the new CX5 here but new Kuga is a year away? Toyota can launch and ship models in many markets at once, but Ford can't? Perhaps recent construction in SA and Thailand can fix this. Pity it couldn't be fixed with some extra investment in Australia.....

(3) Ford has bad public perception that needs to be reversed. Whether it's the bogan element, it's not Australian (despite Falcon being as-or-more Australian than Commodore), the perception of poor reliability, or that dealers don't care enough. That stuff can be marketted away - just like the "Bloody Volvo Driver" ads, or the way Toyota always make their cars look exciting and handle well. They promote against what they think their weakness is.

In fact, reputation is Ford Oz's biggest issue and should be it's focus. Mazda and Subaru are considered cheap imports in the US and Europe. And yet here they have been marketted better and sell better as prestige models. The opposite is true for Ford - they have very high respect in the US and Europe, but have trash brand value now in Australia.

Mullaly talks about a 'product led recovery' which he has done very well. Perhaps Ford Australia needs to now focus on a 'dealer and marketting' led recovery to follow suit.

Lukeyson
Old 10-06-2012, 11:27 AM   #32
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Plaizier
Issues:

(1) No announcement on future of Falcon. More column space has been dedicated to end of Falcon than it's possible future. Fix please.

(2) Not all Ford imports are new or relevant. Kuga is aged and expensive - but I do respect they are trying to go 'prestige' with it. RS was at the end of the model run. New Ford product seems to take an extra year to get to Australia after they go onsale elsewhere. How is it that Mazda can get the new CX5 here but new Kuga is a year away? Toyota can launch and ship models in many markets at once, but Ford can't? Perhaps recent construction in SA and Thailand can fix this. Pity it couldn't be fixed with some extra investment in Australia.....

(3) Ford has bad public perception that needs to be reversed. Whether it's the bogan element, it's not Australian (despite Falcon being as-or-more Australian than Commodore), the perception of poor reliability, or that dealers don't care enough. That stuff can be marketted away - just like the "Bloody Volvo Driver" ads, or the way Toyota always make their cars look exciting and handle well. They promote against what they think their weakness is.

In fact, reputation is Ford Oz's biggest issue and should be it's focus. Mazda and Subaru are considered cheap imports in the US and Europe. And yet here they have been marketted better and sell better as prestige models. The opposite is true for Ford - they have very high respect in the US and Europe, but have trash brand value now in Australia.

Mullaly talks about a 'product led recovery' which he has done very well. Perhaps Ford Australia needs to now focus on a 'dealer and marketting' led recovery to follow suit.

Lukeyson
I've said before that I believe Ford Aus biggest concern is their image, they have a brand image in this day and age and they refuse to rectify this.

So much so that I am willing to bet just about everyone on here either,
Know's someone or has spoken to someone that has shrubed their nose at the Ford product in a derogative comment but clearly knows nothing about the product because they know no better or are lead to believe that Holden etc are the better vehicle.

Image has a lot to do with it.

Let's look at this another way, look at the car's that are doing well in their segment's, like the Mazda 3/small car, Mazda has alway's been the image leader in the small car segment even with the 323.
The Cruze in the medium vehicle's, Holden's brand image has worked well here.
And last but not least the leader overall, the all mighty Toyota Hilux, it has built a image over the yr's of the best utility/comercial vehicle to date to buy.

These day's these vehicles are doing well thank's to their image.

The Hilux is the biggest concern for me as clearly when you compare it to other vehicles in the same segment, it is far from superior, the Ranger is class leading but yet fail's to deliver. Yes we all know their is a supply issue but supply issue or not the Hilux is still regardered as the best comercial vehicle to date. But class leading I think not.

Last edited by galaxy xr8; 10-06-2012 at 11:45 AM.
galaxy xr8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2012, 11:56 AM   #33
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NX74205
I've seen a total of 1 Falcon EcoBoost on the road, 0 EcoLPis, and less than 10 FGIIs in total.

I've also asked around at dealers to test drive an EcoBoost, and so far I've had no success because there's been no stock. That'd be enough to turn any customer around.

Yet I've seen plenty of Toyota Camrys and Toyota Aurions on the road, and tons of new Mazdas. Guess what? They are also ones that are often advertised on TV. It's frustrating.
Let not just put the boot in for the sake of it!!! Aurions sells much, much, much sell then Falcon, so it doesn't matter how many you seein your little part of the world, it matters was they are selling in total!!

Back on topic.. It is one thing to say "we'll look at marketing", but it is another to actually spend some money & do something!!.. I just keep hoping Ecoboost takes off, it also sounds like EcoPli is starting to sell well? Only problem is I think it looks like it was just replace normal petrol sales?
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2012, 12:03 PM   #34
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
I see ecoboost add's all over the internet.

Ford fans kicking the falcon when its down...discusting...whats the point. Bunch of emo clowns here.

If this artical was in Drive, we'll be claiming Holden bias and pay-offs!
Sorry, advertising on the web only, is just not good enough.. There is no defending Ford in this case.. The have just released Ecoboost & I have not see one TV add or magazine add or paper add or billboard or radio add.. Nothing, but an utube add, its just not good enough. Why spend million in developing a world class product & then tell no-one??
Old 10-06-2012, 12:06 PM   #35
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty62
I must say I am a littlle embarrassed - as a 'long term' ford fan, I didn't know that the ecoboost was a 4cyl turbo falcon. never seen an advert about them either though

But then again, I am a little biased towards V8s
Right there is there problem FORD!!!

Here is a Ford fan, that mostly owns a Falcon, buy new Falcons, doesn't even know about Ecoboost. How is anyone that isn't a Ford fan meant to know about this car who might actually want to buy it.

Shame on you Ford!!
Old 10-06-2012, 01:47 PM   #36
yift
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Countless sensible, accurate mechanical advice on all things Falcon and Territory. 

now that they have found the problem what the $%#& are they going to do to fix it?

$100 on ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!
yift is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2012, 01:52 PM   #37
jixel 78

What are people driving towards here? A sustainable business giving jobs and motoring variety to people in Australia for Australia? Or a Ford(read Falcon) dominance across the board,erasing all other makes, with enthusiasts telling all unworthy peasants driving Holdens`we told you so,you WILL drive a Falcon`
jixel 78 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2012, 02:40 PM   #38
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
Right there is there problem FORD!!!

Here is a Ford fan, that mostly owns a Falcon, buy new Falcons, doesn't even know about Ecoboost. How is anyone that isn't a Ford fan meant to know about this car who might actually want to buy it.

Shame on you Ford!!
Great products all right but the message doesn't seem to be getting out and why on earth
Ford isn't pushing Territory harder is beyond me, it has the potential to be bigger with the right
options, stuff like a RWD XR6 Territory and perhaps a RWD XR6T Territory as well?
Couldn't hurt..

Where others see disaster, I see opportunity.
jpd80 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2012, 02:55 PM   #39
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
yep nobody knows there is an ecoboost 4cyl falcon , i work with a team of 76 tradesman , and none of them knew until i told them
I'll make a prediction for you......

No one will give a rats @$$ about a 4 cyl falcon....even if it is turboed and was advertised. The buying public have moved on from Falcon....period. It will be flogging a dead horse...

Seems everyone wants either small to medium cars with all the options or SUV's.....end of story.

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2012, 03:02 PM   #40
XRDeeze
UTRIED

Quote:
Sorry, advertising on the web only, is just not good enough.. There is no defending Ford in this case.. The have just released Ecoboost & I have not see one TV add or magazine add or paper add or billboard or radio add.. Nothing, but an utube add, its just not good enough. Why spend million in developing a world class product & then tell no-one??
Carsguide have been publishing the ecoboost engine for a while now.

Townsville Drag 1/10/11 PB: 15.34 @ 91.09 mph
XRDeeze is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2012, 03:08 PM   #41
HLC
Audi S3

It's no good talking about it... Vote with your wallet. Ford isn't going to do well unless there are people the dealerships putting coin down. Without that, no money coming in, which means no cash flow for advertising. Vicious cycle. That's life.

I must admit, I didn't even know the EcoBoost falc was available til the other day.
Old 10-06-2012, 03:19 PM   #42
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I think people are more interested in their small car offerings than the Falcon.

Just a sign of the times I guess, personally I probably wouldn't buy a new Falcon, though I did look at a new manual base model FG ute before I got my Focus but I sure as hell wasn't going to pay $32,000 the dealer wanted for it.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2012, 03:40 PM   #43
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
I think people are more interested in their small car offerings than the Falcon.

Just a sign of the times I guess, personally I probably wouldn't buy a new Falcon, though I did look at a new manual base model FG ute before I got my Focus but I sure as hell wasn't going to pay $32,000 the dealer wanted for it.
This.
While Falcon is a great car, is it really worth double what you pay for a Focus Ambiente?

I mean, that's what potential buyers are faced with, "do I need that much car and added debt?"
Old 10-06-2012, 04:01 PM   #44
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_XR603
Carsguide have been publishing the ecoboost engine for a while now.
How??
Old 10-06-2012, 04:11 PM   #45
babyf6
Young Ford Enthusiast

They had a 2 page write-up on it in the Carsguide that came with the Townsville Bulliten about a month ago.
Old 10-06-2012, 04:13 PM   #46
Chopped
as in chopped

I have a suggestion for an ad.
Six gorgeous girls in skimpy bikinis washing a falcon.
Getting all wet and jiggling their bits.
May not help sales but I'd be happy to watch it.
Old 10-06-2012, 04:14 PM   #47
babyf6
Young Ford Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped
I have a suggestion for an ad.
Six gorgeous girls in skimpy bikinis washing a falcon.
Getting all wet and jiggling their bits.
May not help sales but I'd be happy to watch it.

At least people would remember the ad.
Old 10-06-2012, 04:59 PM   #48
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

maybe ford should market it cab chassis falcon ute as the only australian made cab chassis ute??
flooded one is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2012, 05:06 PM   #49
babyf6
Young Ford Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildrider
maybe ford should market it cab chassis falcon ute as the only australian made cab chassis ute??

Yeah, that could be a good selling point
Old 10-06-2012, 05:14 PM   #50
Falcman0o7
Banned

At the end of the day they simply need to advertise on TV more.
Great cars that not many people know about!
Falcman0o7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2012, 05:22 PM   #51
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
This.
While Falcon is a great car, is it really worth double what you pay for a Focus Ambiente?

I mean, that's what potential buyers are faced with, "do I need that much car and added debt?"
I highly doubt its twice as good.

I do have a feeling my XR5T will be my last Ford sadly.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:30 PM   #52
warpsp33d

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
This.

This is exactly the problem that I have.

I want to buy a G6E, but I find the difference in price between that and a Titanium Focus with Sports Exec, and the difference in technical features (lack of in the Falcon), mildly offensive.

The Focus has everything and is ~$10k cheaper. In the Falcon, where's the adaptive cruise, keyless entry, xenon's, front parking sensors, auto park, led tail lights, sunroof, etc.
warpsp33d is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2012, 05:40 PM   #53
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP
I'll make a prediction for you......

No one will give a rats @$$ about a 4 cyl falcon....even if it is turboed and was advertised. The buying public have moved on from Falcon....period. It will be flogging a dead horse...

Seems everyone wants either small to medium cars with all the options or SUV's.....end of story.
Spot on. Commodore is heading in the same direction. Small cars and SUV's are people's preferred choices now.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:23 PM   #54
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6 Concorde
Spot on. Commodore is heading in the same direction. Small cars and SUV's are people's preferred choices now.
Commodore appears to be where Falcon was with sales 18-24 months ago and yes, I realise that the refreshed
VF Commodore will soon be here and that many may be holding off but there's no real guarantee that's the case.
Either way, I'd say Ford is being prudent, watching the market before announcing its post 2016 big car plan..

After all, there's still another 3.5 years to go and by then big cars sales may speak for themselves..
Old 10-06-2012, 06:32 PM   #55
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyf6
They had a 2 page write-up on it in the Carsguide that came with the Townsville Bulliten about a month ago.
Giving the media cars to test drive is the bear min .At least Ford did that much. But they have done jack since!!
Old 10-06-2012, 06:37 PM   #56
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Giving the media cars to test drive is the bear min .At least Ford did that much. But they have done jack since!!
I don't know that Ford has too many Ecoboost engines, Valencia is currently supplying
the USA with 2.0 EBs for new Escape, Edge, Explorer, and soon to be released Fusion.
I doubt that supply will improve until US plants are up and running early next year..
Old 10-06-2012, 07:11 PM   #57
jixel 78

SUVs are a marketing scam. My mate just bought a Subaru Tribeca, it uses more fuel than my Sportwagon(heaps more) has 255/55/R18 inch tyres on it(WTF that`ll hurt when it needs new skins) and cant fit the gear my Commodore can. Territories are the same. Whats the go? They handle like EFs and look like UFOs. Mate, I cant understand it. Ive had customers come in and say`Bloody hell this thing is killing me in fuel,tyres,rego and insurance`with regard to Territories, Captiva/Kluger/CR-V/Tribeca/CX-9 theyre all tanks with massive tyres and even bigger maintenance schedules. I`d buy a little/medium hatch or even a diesel Hyundai i40/Mazda 6 over these things.And theyre killing Falcon/Commodore,but are more expensive to run. Bloody shocking. It`d also help if they didnt look so crook as well. That is all.
jixel 78 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2012, 07:31 PM   #58
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jixel 78
SUVs are a marketing scam. My mate just bought a Subaru Tribeca, it uses more fuel than my Sportwagon(heaps more) has 255/55/R18 inch tyres on it(WTF that`ll hurt when it needs new skins) and cant fit the gear my Commodore can. Territories are the same. Whats the go? They handle like EFs and look like UFOs. Mate, I cant understand it. Ive had customers come in and say`Bloody hell this thing is killing me in fuel,tyres,rego and insurance`with regard to Territories, Captiva/Kluger/CR-V/Tribeca/CX-9 theyre all tanks with massive tyres and even bigger maintenance schedules. I`d buy a little/medium hatch or even a diesel Hyundai i40/Mazda 6 over these things.And theyre killing Falcon/Commodore,but are more expensive to run. Bloody shocking. It`d also help if they didnt look so crook as well. That is all.
I just spent two weeks with a rental SV6 Sportwagon and I can tell you that thing was every bit as hungry as my friends SZ RWD Territory I-6.

Diesel territory gives same fuel economy as one of our fleet's 2.0 Auto Focus
Old 10-06-2012, 07:52 PM   #59
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jixel 78
My company's SZ TX diesel Territory is very economical. It surpasses the VE wagon for payload capacity and craps all over the VE for fuel economy. I believe my dad is averaging mid 8's city driving in it. Futher to that driving position and vision are very good.

Many folk do complain about fuel consumption in their petrol SUV's, no doubt about it. Mazda CX-9 especially, it averages mid to high teens fuel consumption city driving. Mate of mine works for Mazda, apparently customers come in fuming and absolutely furious the fuel usage doesn't get anywhere near the sticker value.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:59 PM   #60
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6 Concorde
Many folk do complain about fuel consumption in their petrol SUV's, no doubt about it. Mazda CX-9 especially, it averages mid to high teens fuel consumption city driving. Mate of mine works for Mazda, apparently customers come in fuming and absolutely furious the fuel usage doesn't get anywhere near the sticker value.
Basically the 3.7 litre version of the V6 that goes in the US Explorer, you can imagine what their fuel mileage is like.
No thanks, it's diesel in SUV and Ranger for me every time without question..

Amazing how SY AWD Territory has Urban of 17.4 l/100 and yet the very similar CX-9 claims 15.4,
the Mazda stretches the truth, I think both are as thirsty as an SS Commodore..20 l/100 km

Last edited by jpd80; 10-06-2012 at 08:04 PM.