Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 18-03-2012, 12:00 PM   #31
Stazza_Brendan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Do you still buy car magazines?

I usually get a Zoom bundle if im going on a plane trip or car trip somewhere.
ZF - Optioned interior - Hardlid - Rapidsystems V4.5 kit - GTX3576R - Crow Cams Valve springs - 1000cc KPM injectors - 20" MC Racing Wheels - DashDaq/Cobalt Gauges - 4in dump/3.5in exhaust system - Shockworks Coilovers - 30mm Swaybar - Shockworks 4pot 355mm front brakes - GT R-spec rear brakes
CPV Tuned to 340rwkw
Stazza_Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2012, 12:05 PM   #32
sneaky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

*flame suit on*

i get street commodores subscription as a christmas present as there is bugger all else i can think of for people to buy me at christmas...
Old 18-03-2012, 03:28 PM   #33
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I used to buy Street Machine regularly...in fact did so since the eighties...but eventually stopped. Now it's a case of "only if there's something really interesting".
I also got a little sick of feature cars that were proudly stated as being "Australias fastest/most powerful street registered!!!!!" or similar claims, and it's something like a tubbed, wheelie-barred, full chassied methanol fuelled supercharged big block LJ Torana...which has number plates on it...which wouldn't get five feet past the end of the driveway if it ever dared venture off it's trailer.
It all got a little too unrealistic and the cars were obviously mostly trailer queens that never got driven, apart from one or two very notable examples that actually got used.

The price we pay for magazines in Oz is also a downer...British magazines are subjected to markups of a couple of hundred percent, American ones similarly so, which is odd when you consider their dollar is worth a lot less than ours.
Even a lot of Australian magazines have a price that has you checking to see that they aren't maybe printed on gold leaf typeset by hand by monks in a Tibetan monastery and bound in finest spit-softened leather...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2012, 03:49 PM   #34
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Just subscribed to Horsepower E Magazine 7 or 8 issues a year for $36 delivered come's in a dvd format opens in pdf style, easy to store good value .. and my Cortys in this Months issue End blatant plug you owe me Ash ( and it is Aussie made )

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2012, 08:02 PM   #35
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

[QUOTE=Bossxr8]Wheels and Motor.

Have every issue of AMC but now that Paul Govers on board QUOTE]

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2012, 08:04 PM   #36
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Street Machine and Street Commodores.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2012, 08:26 PM   #37
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Not really, but an American magazine caught my eye, its called "Diesel Power" and its the first car mag I've bought for a long time.

I used to have craploads of street ford's mags, I left them all at work for the boys to read not too interested anymore.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2012, 08:33 PM   #38
TS50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I got Modern Motor (now Motor) since Jan 1978 till 2010
I just think they lost their way, the last 3 or 4 years I got it, I thought it lost its relevance. So in the end I voted with my wallet
I but an occasional mag, any of them if there is a story that intrests me
but these days they are few and far between
Old 18-03-2012, 08:38 PM   #39
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've bought one or two when I was working shift. Barely touched them. I just hate reading lol
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2012, 09:00 PM   #40
Streets
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I used to buy Street Fords before it turned into Wog-Built XY GT Fakers Digest
Streets is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2012, 09:23 PM   #41
Uncle Niceguy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if i see a mag i like i'll save the $10 and read it on the spot in the store
Uncle Niceguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2012, 09:32 PM   #42
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I buy lots of magazines. I always read them while at work.

In the US I was buying them everyday because they're more interesting then the Aussie ones.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2012, 09:42 PM   #43
calais
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In the late 90's Australian automobile journalism went south. I've never purchased a Wheels or Motor magazine since.

If you read a Modern Motor mag from the 80's and then read a current issue of Motor you will find the current issue smacks of bs, speculative speech, over-zealous and biased 'assessments' whereas the 80's issue will be chock full of useful tabulated data, important observations and seriously indepth assessments of a vehicles strengths and weaknesses.

I find that these days, the marketing departments have just been making such publications a bunch of over duplicated wildly innaccurate examples of masturbatory journalism.

The internet is much the same, but at least you arent throwing such large quantities of cash down the drain in order to separate the wheat from the chaff.
calais is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2012, 11:24 PM   #44
4.0i OHC
Computer Torque Control

I still buy Unique Cars almost every month. I used to buy Wheels semi-regularly up to about 5 or so years ago, when some reviews started to seem like Holden advertorials (take a look at the original Epica review). I never bought WRX Monthly Motor, as I always found (since around the year 2000) their writing style to be rather unprofessional and bias clearly evident (with the exception of one or two contributors).
I do enjoy reading my father's Wheels and Modern Motor back issues (IMO Modern Motor went south as soon as they dropped 'Modern' from their name). I never had an interest in magazines like 'Street Machine', but sometimes buy Pommy mags such as CAR (although the high markup prevents this from being a monthly occurrence).
4.0i OHC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2012, 11:54 PM   #45
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Have every issue of AMC but now that Paul Govers on board i'm starting to hate it now, he is just going to taint it with his pro Holden rubbish. The thing I loved about it was that there was no bias, just a love of australian muscle cars. Not anymore.
Used to buy every issue of AMC from the start until the last issue, when wondering why the latest few issues were pretty hopeless, realised then that Joe Kenwright who wrote those informative articles had gone, and Paul gover was now there. Interestingly, a similar situation happened some years ago at Carsguide when Paul Gover joined, Joe Kenwright left that publication.

Noticed a new AMC issue yesterday in the newsagents, with Brock #1 on the cover (of course), needless to say I didnt even pick it up to see what was inside.

Gave up on Wheels and Motor many years ago, so theres no motoring magazines bought anymore.
Silver Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2012, 02:51 AM   #46
EF ECTIV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I buy street fords every month and Perth street car every issue (4 per year), then occasionally street commos or street machine depending on content....

1998 EL XR8 S2, Oxford, Manual, tickford kit
Project

2013 G6ET

Stock daily

2022 Patrol TiL
Stock daily
EF ECTIV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2012, 03:50 PM   #47
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Only buy AMC now, got em all but even now, I find i'm not reading them cover to cover straight away.

Used to buy Mustang Unlimited all the time when I had a 'Stang, that was the best one at the time.

Was never big on SM, only bought it if something looked good. Wheel/Motor I used to buy all the time but gave up about 10 years ago, just bough it if something was of interest but now I don't even bother at all.
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2012, 04:14 PM   #48
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Wheels and Motor.

Have every issue of AMC but now that Paul Govers on board i'm starting to hate it now, he is just going to taint it with his pro Holden rubbish. The thing I loved about it was that there was no bias, just a love of australian muscle cars. Not anymore.

Used to buy Street Machine but sick of the constant one tonners and Toranas. Too much Holden.
I threw out all my Wheels/motor that I had from about 1998, only kept the ones with good Ford articles.

I have all the AMC's bar the first, which is annoying, its still the best mag out there but I agree, devo that Gover and the other knuckle heads are running it.

I get Unique Cars which is good for a read, used to get Just Cars but their website is so good theres no point buying the mag.

If I am bored ClassicFord and Retro Ford get brought aswell. Maybe Evo et al if I am going through an airport. The UK classic car mags are very good too, same with Octane.

Never brought a SM though.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2012, 06:04 PM   #49
marcyeo

I buy the odd Motor or Wheels mag when it interests me. I think magazines review cars better than individual reviews on the internet, I guess mainly better journalism and they're more expressive. It also provides me reading material when on the plane/bed/dunny, and I like the comparisons magazines have that you don't always find on the internet..

OLD
2010 FPV F6 FG - Herrod CAI, Pedders extreme XA's, Whiteline fr & rear swaybars, PWR stepped IC, injectors, turbo dump pipe with Venom cat, Herrod piping kit = 350rwkw
marcyeo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2012, 08:39 PM   #50
G6E Turbo 2

NO , I'm sick of seeing Holdens on the front cover every other month
and glowing reviews of Mark IIIIIIIIIII Commodores that are somehow different to one from last month And the poor reviews Ford get along with COTY being a joke these days
G6E Turbo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2012, 10:45 PM   #51
falcon01
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I buy wheels every month some months I wonder why but It gives me something to do while sitting on the throne
Extractors, 100cpi Cat, Xr6T Exhaust, White Line 27mm Front Sway Bar, Territory Intake Pipe, Tinted Windows, Bpt Thermostat K&N Air Filter, Dba Sloted SS Front &Rear, Bendix Ultimate Brake Pads Front & Rear, Monroe Gt Shocks Front and Rear, Slim Weathershields,Xr Springs F/R, Driving Lights, Fairmount external trim, Fairmount Clock, Genric
Tune, Underdrives, 4.11 Diff/Lsd, SS Growler

To Come,
Custom Tune,
Workshop Build
falcon01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2012, 11:20 PM   #52
mrghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I used to get around 6-7 different mags a month. I stopped 2.5 years ago when our lad was born I will get a new one here and there but street fords had lost its way too many XW/Y and BA onwards as nice as those cars are they are NOT the only fords made.
Old 24-03-2012, 12:20 PM   #53
GTENVY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Only time I buy a car mag is when i fly which is anywhere up to 6 times a year. I usually buy Street Fords and AMC or if there is some decent info in a Motor or a Wheels I may buy it.

Live, Love, RACE

SOLD: AU III XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a
cars are to be driven, ornaments are to be looked at. the two should never be confused.
GTENVY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2012, 01:43 PM   #54
XP6
Formerly ST170ish

what do you guys think of the Gasoline mag?
XP6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2012, 08:34 AM   #55
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XP6
I dont mind it but prefer cruzin

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2012, 11:27 AM   #56
Sta Arhidia Mou

Just AMC and Unique Cars and maybe the odd Street Fords.

Wheels/Motor is only good for toilet paper.
Sta Arhidia Mou is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2012, 12:52 PM   #57
GreenMachine
Mopar/No Car

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Sensational write up about drum brakes. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XP6
I write a regular column for them now, so I guess I'm biased... I think they have the mix of great street cars and interesting stories spot on. I lost interest in Street Machine when it became totally focused on Summernats-Top-10 style cars. I take their editorial line that says "if you want to see street cars, go to a local show", but that misses the point. Most cars in SM these days are at such an elite level, guys like us can't even aspire to them...

'72 Plymouth Scamp
'80 Courier
'13 Kawasaki ZX14-R
'13 Berlina
'92 Suzuki DR650

If you don't fight - You lose
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2012, 12:56 PM   #58
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

I still buy Australian Muscle Car and Street Machine. I will grab another mag if it catches my eye or has a friends car in it, but generally it is just those two.
Old 25-03-2012, 01:14 PM   #59
Shaggzy
"BMX_datto"

I get street machine every month and most months my old girl drops around an Australian street rodding and rodders journal when its out
Old 26-03-2012, 11:10 PM   #60
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

Australian Classic Car
Australian Muscle Car
Unique Cars (the articles are getting better)
Just Cars
Classic and Sports Car (UK)
Throroughbred and Classic Cars (NZ)
Restored Cars
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post