Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-01-2011, 02:47 AM   #31
FgNewbie
Australia

geckoGT, don't know about the new Minis but I'll never forget a ride in a Cooper S in 1970. (No idea if it was stock or not). It was like a slot car on rails. Felt like I was sitting on them too. The adrenaline was pumping and the eyes were bulging. I've never been in another car that could match the speed on the same set of bends.... and I tried hard.

I drive a Passat occassionally, DSG is an interesting animal.

Danny, whatever you end up with... I'm jealous too. Enjoy
FgNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2011, 03:41 AM   #32
GULL
TuRbO

Smile

Man you cant go wrong with the rs megane,i had the model before with the big bum the F1 ,only 30 came to oz and it was a machine,the new rs is better yet again,test drove 1 few weeks back,very very nice machine,i do like the rs focus better but the extra $15 000 is not worth it.Most people not all dont get it,a hot hatch done right like the megane,golf,and the focus will eat most 6's and some 8's around a track in the right hands,sure the straights the hatch will try and keep up but on the twisties hatch is long gone.I bought my xr6t because i wanted the full on bang in a straight line,and the back side out around corners,when im over that i will go back to a renault megane
GULL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2011, 11:36 AM   #33
ltd
Force Fed Fords

You can cancel your contract no problems. The question is however, will you have to pay compensation?
Have a look at the terms of the contract you signed and if it has exclusion clauses regarding delays of delivery, then you'll need to enlist the services of a solicitor to argue about reasonability of delays. In this case you may lose your deposit.

If it doesn't mention delays then you can ask for a refund as they (VW) have frustrated the contract based on their failure of delivery. Speak to the sales rep who sold it to you. If no joy there, speak to the dealer principal.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2011, 12:25 PM   #34
bigsta
Making superman jealous

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

How have you gone danny?

I loved the VWs about 10 years ago i went out with this chick who had a VW GTI i loved that car it flew....

As other have said read your contract, than call the dealer explaining the delay is unacceptable if no joy contact the dept of fair trading in your state.

Another out of the box option is if there is such a huge wait list for the car new orders may be pushed back to 2012 so maybe a june delivery would appeal to someone else and you can sell your contract.

Years ago a friend of mine was offered $100k above the new car price for a Mercedes coupe there was a 2 year wait for, he had ordered early so only had to wait a few months.

2006 SY Territory Ghia AWD in ego with roof mount DVD, tints, 7 seats, iPod input

2005 Crewman Cross 8 with 350 cubic inches, AWD, black on black rims on black leather, tints and polished racks
NEW TOY Bayliner 185, inboard 3L 4 cylinder pushing us along at 50MPH whenever i get a chance

I love Aussie cars and are gonna really miss them soon.......
bigsta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2011, 01:11 PM   #35
Spudz27
Call me Spud

We ordered a VW caddy maxi with DSG. Dealer said December delivery, then it was jan, then mar and finally was delivered in April 10. Must be normal for VW to push back their delivery dates.
Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2011, 01:33 PM   #36
Fled74
The Thread Killa

Did they give a reason for the delays?

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Fled74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2011, 03:50 PM   #37
Dusty1
Giddy up!

Order in on a Mondeo Titanium wagon, 13 December.
Delivery date late May 2011.
Yep, five months. I've now got to take out another lease to cover the wait.

I'd have a chat to the dealer and explain what you want and why. Most of them are pretty reasonable. And wait time to me is reasonable.

My deposit was $500, and across the five months its $100 a month, and it could cost you more than $500 to get a solicitor involved if the dealer gets his back up. $500 is a lot of cash to me, but I'd weigh up how much of a pain in backside it would be to fight them, and possibly get a solicitor involved. Might be cheaper to forgo it, or offer to go halves and get half the deposit back and they get the other half.
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2011, 07:13 PM   #38
Carby

If there is a genuine lead time of 5 months they probably couldn't give a stuff if you cancel the order.

As an alternate have you read about the $42K Alfa Romeo Guilietta? 174kw and 340nm of torque from a 1750 cc Turbo 4 banger sounds like good fun, looks great and being an Alfa they will be fairly rare animals on the road..............
Carby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2011, 07:30 PM   #39
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny
Hey all,

Long shory stort, I've pretty much 85% decided to cancel my order on the Golf R.

Wait is too long, Performance of the manuals compared to DSG is a little Ho Hum, and I want something more hardcore.

Still not interested in 70+ for an RS Focus, am looking at taking a Megane Renaultsport 250 Cup Trophee off the showroom floor.

Now, Question is, The VW contract I signed promised a March delivery. That deivery is now been postponed until June, and some guys on the VW forums are already getting calls to postpone again to august.

They have broken the ETA time promise I signed for. Now can I get my deposit back if I cancel based on this? My Golf hasn't even recieved a build date as yet.

Cheers all

-Dan
I don't know why you have to wait so long. A guy I work with in Canberra walked into the local VW dealership and bought a White Golf R with 19" black wheels off the showroom floor. It has eveything you wanted, and he walked in, handed over the money and drove away same day.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2011, 07:42 PM   #40
fg_nitro

Read your contract. The last time i purchased a car it was 1500 dollar cancellation fee or 3 percent of the sale price (whatever is higher)
Did you read the contract you signed?
fg_nitro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2011, 10:55 PM   #41
Spanrz
Hmmmmmmm!!

I know, when people come to work and buy machines, they make sure "in writing", that there is something like the words of : "subject to......".
We have a lot of people buy machines with "subject to inspection / delivery date / finance" etc etc.

Meaning sale will go ahead (from the customers point of view) if that "subject to...." is met.

I have bought a car brand new before, but the car we wanted was in stock and could be delivered in 2 days, as we picked it up from the dealer.

However, I haven't come across the possibilty of putting the words in writing for a new car, that if the approx delivery date (say a grace of 2 weeks) wasn't met, deal is off.
Can you say in writing "subject to a March Delivery"? Or "subject to a delivery prior to April"??
Spanrz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2011, 11:00 PM   #42
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanrz
I know, when people come to work and buy machines, they make sure "in writing", that there is something like the words of : "subject to......".
We have a lot of people buy machines with "subject to inspection / delivery date / finance" etc etc.

Meaning sale will go ahead (from the customers point of view) if that "subject to...." is met.

I have bought a car brand new before, but the car we wanted was in stock and could be delivered in 2 days, as we picked it up from the dealer.

However, I haven't come across the possibilty of putting the words in writing for a new car, that if the approx delivery date (say a grace of 2 weeks) wasn't met, deal is off.
Can you say in writing "subject to a March Delivery"? Or "subject to a delivery prior to April"??

Normally a car contract will say 'subject to finance', well if your buying it that way.
Old 24-01-2011, 11:14 PM   #43
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just looked at my old VW "New Vehicle Retail Buyers Order" form dated 8/3/07 and it states
Quote:
"The customer acknowledges Dealer will not be liable for any delay in delivery"
Couldn't find any mention of delivery dates or possibility for cancelling based on not meeting this date anywhere on the document. Took 4 months from order to keys in my hand.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2011, 11:27 PM   #44
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

A cancellation fee sounds about right.

Im a fan of the Megane both old & new. A friend of mine raced a Clio in the Eastern Creek endurance race. He is a long time Honda fan & mechanic who normally races a DC5R Integra in improved production. He reckoned that his improved K20 mill still had the edge over the Renault unit but that handling wise his modified Honda wouldn't see which way the modified Renault went. They are that good (& the turbo mill in the Meganes negate any perceived lack of grunt or twist).

I've always liked the Renaultsports and you are right about them being 90% of an RS for 60% of the price. Look how hard Ford had to work to catch it. An R26, I'd have that any day.

It's a shame that a tweaked GTi won't do it for you as importers are selling Sirroco R's (which are FWD only). While you are comparing stock dsg v manual times, remember that the ABT tweaks should substantially change those times.

I don't need to tell you (or Gecko GT) how good a properly developed FWD hatch can go. My Honda DC2R is now 10 years old and I still think that it is okay on the road & track, although no where near the newer gen cars (its lap times on handling tracks (Winton & Wakefield) can keep an F6 or FPV GT honest on tracks where more power is required (P.I., Sandown, Calder) the FPVs and HSV get away but with 3 times the capacity and double the power you would expect as much. How I'd love to try the newer gen Yokohama Advans on it's wheels (part of the problem is that I am limited to 16" wheels & the super duper Bridgestones/Michelins/Yokohama/Continentals only seem to start at 17").*

Needless to say if I was looking at a hot hatch today a Renault would be at the top of the queue.
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2011, 11:58 PM   #45
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Coincidence, I saw a Megane RS today, hot

Makes me wonder, do we really need much more room when the mini is up for replacement? I could get the Megane RS for the same sort of money the Mini Countryman S is likely to cost us.
Old 25-01-2011, 12:31 AM   #46
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudz27
Must be normal for VW to push back their delivery dates.
How do Ford compare? When I ordered a BA, I was given one approx date when I paid my deposit, a month was added a week later, and then a month before it was due, another month added.

OTOH, when I bought my mkV GTI, I was told 8months, and thats exactly when it came.

Nevertheless, that many months is simply not acceptable in this day and age, and VW make me laugh when they say they plan to be the biggest car maker. You cant be the biggest if you cant get the stock out of your factory quickly.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2011, 01:50 AM   #47
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craiginmackay
Isn't it obvious?

They have never driven one so don't actually know what they are on about!

That and the little willy thing!
What about just not being interested in that style of car? But just because I'm not interested in riced-up girly cars, doesn't mean I am wrong for not liking them, any car can be made to go fast, irrespective of its size. The biggest killer for me, though...the prices quoted on here. $50k+ what the??? It just confirms that you don't get much car for the money either. So I like them even less now. Call it "never driven one," "willy size," anything you want to defend what you like.....
Mustang 5.0 or hatchback? Hmmmm....
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2011, 09:08 AM   #48
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
What about just not being interested in that style of car? But just because I'm not interested in riced-up girly cars, doesn't mean I am wrong for not liking them, any car can be made to go fast, irrespective of its size. The biggest killer for me, though...the prices quoted on here. $50k+ what the??? It just confirms that you don't get much car for the money either. So I like them even less now. Call it "never driven one," "willy size," anything you want to defend what you like.....
Mustang 5.0 or hatchback? Hmmmm....
don't forget the prices quoted are landed in aus. we pay a fair bit more for our cars over here. not sure you'd get a 5.0 mustang brand new for 50k.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2011, 10:20 AM   #49
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

I heartily endorse anyone not getting a volkswagen.
Old 25-01-2011, 10:40 AM   #50
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

Danny; as mentioned simply refer to the VACC contract of sale.

9. Delays in Delivery
(1) The seller shall make every reasonable effort to make the Purchase Vehicle available for delivery on or before the delivery date stated in this Contract. Where delivery is delayed more than 14 days the Purchaser may terminate this Contract by notifying the seller in writing, unless the delay is caused by the Purchaser.

Let me make it clear that if your contract stipulates no estimated delivery date (the copy you signed and have a dealer authority signature on it as well) you can walk away a free man with your deposit back in your wallet. Otherwise if it stipulates March 2011 arrival, I'm afraid to notify you that you are waiting until April 14/15 until you can exit the contract without penalty.

Whilst dealers do not want to lose business, you need to speak to them about your concerns. Perhaps mention this to your sales person and if he doesn't handle it correctly, ask to speak to the Sales Manager. If he does not want to help, refer to General Sales Manager or Dealer Principal. Generally, if you refer it to Volkswagen Australia they will most likely refer it back to the dealer via the Dealer Principal or General Sales Manager.

My last thought is referring to the two demonstrator Golf R's that I have found on carsales.com.au at dealers in Melbourne. One has 1500km, the other 5000km. One priced $55k d/a and the other $54,288. I would have reason to believe that Volkswagen's demonstrator rebates are not to the tune of $5k so if the initial price mentioned of $58k incurred a $2000-$2500 jump for the DSG box, the dealer is most likely to do whatever they can to keep the DSG price under LCT for you in order to keep your business rather than lose it altogether.

Anyway, hope this information has helped.

Cheerio
Old 25-01-2011, 11:27 AM   #51
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
don't forget the prices quoted are landed in aus. we pay a fair bit more for our cars over here. not sure you'd get a 5.0 mustang brand new for 50k.
Mustang delivered in Aus and converted is $120k +, that makes $60k for a hot hatch really good value considering it will dust off the stang in anything but a straight line, carry the same amount of people, does it all on less fuel and has more creature comforts.

Why is it on these threads we constantly have to tolerate anti sport hatch comments? I bet if I jumped on here and said I think F series are a waste of time and money as well as only for those that have an inferiority complex (not what I actually think, just an example of my point), I would be shouted down pretty quick. Yet people that appreciate smaller performance cars constantly have to put up with these attitudes, regardless of if they are relevant to the topic or not.

The OP never asked for any comments on the merits of hot hatches in comparison to other vehicle types.

Last edited by geckoGT; 25-01-2011 at 11:35 AM.
geckoGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2011, 10:40 PM   #52
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have you been able to get out of the contract Danny?

I have previously gotten out of a signed car contract due to my disapproval of the finance, and can confirm that I do have a mate who has gotten out of a VW Golf GTI contract due to the excessive waiting periods that kept on extending with the previous generation Golf. Many Fiesta owners, who ordered a MK7, experienced delays and a few were able to get out of the contract without any issues. Then again, I'm talking about a $22,000 car, no Golf R!

Good luck with it matey, I hope you can get the Megane as it looks like a bloody hoot of a car.
Old 26-01-2011, 12:03 AM   #53
Danny
GT4.

OK!

Well today has been hectic.

I read the contract, and in particular the clause that SCUD outlined, and realised that I had a genuine right to cancel the contract. The contract stated ETA March 30 2011, so I rang VW this morning and let them know that I required a vehicle before June, and that I would have to cancel. All I had to do was send an email in writing to the sales manager outlining my intent to cancel, and lo and behold, they canceled, and I got my deposit back. Result.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeckoGT
Coincidence, I saw a Megane RS today, hot Makes me wonder, do we really need much more room when the mini is up for replacement? I could get the Megane RS for the same sort of money the Mini Countryman S is likely to cost us.
I reccommend it highly Gecko, wonderful car. How do I know? Because yesterday afternoon, I test drove one, and fell head over heels for a brand new, fully optioned silver 250 Cup Trophee that was in the holding yard still with its stickers, and plastic wrap around the seats and pedals.

As soon as I saw her, I knew, this was MY vehicle. The salesman matched the price I had specified in the morning over the phone (a VERY good price for a fully optioned 250), and I signed for her there and then pending cancellation of the VeeDub order.

So everyone, I am the owner of another RS Vehicle. She will be sharing the garage with the F6 and the XR6T. Am very happy with the purchase. And WOW, what a gun of a car she is to drive.

American Chev guy, $50k for a hatch here is quite reasonable when you consider what these cars do. Remember we used to have to pay over $100k for the F250 when they were here. We are raped by too many taxes on import cars. That's why you baulk at the price of my Renault.

I wanna say big thanks to Mark300 and especially spoolman for your advice and support over PM. Cheers heaps guys, so much appreciated.

Anyway, should be picking up the Meggy next week after they rip her out of her plastic wrap

-Dan
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2011, 12:17 AM   #54
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Congratulations. Good to hear that it all worked out, and you got a car you really wanted. Now go out and enjoy.
04redxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2011, 01:35 AM   #55
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

pr1ck. i still have to wait 3 months for mine :P
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2011, 07:15 AM   #56
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son
pr1ck. i still have to wait 3 months for mine :P
Mate there is still an assload of fully optioned ones in stock!
Old 26-01-2011, 07:25 AM   #57
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Nice choice, given a free budget id still go the focus rs but the megane is very nice aswell. Both cars will deliver a similar experience though, got pics since it's a straight pickup?

As for DSG...big deal imo, so you go a tad quicker, you should know that it just doesn't give the same rewarding drive as the traditional manual. And if people keep on taking the easy way out the beloved stick shift will meet it's end soon enough.

Pics....? Hehe

Edit. Saw the above once tis stupid iPad decided it wanted to work
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane

Last edited by Polyal; 26-01-2011 at 07:30 AM.
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2011, 12:57 PM   #58
dave289
Banned

60 grand for a vw golf. unbelievable...
dave289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2011, 01:15 PM   #59
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave289
Not really, it and the other cars mentioned in this thread are all full of tech, quick, reliable and look great...and they are brand new.

Danny, you were not interested in the Clio Gordini? I think its just a sticker pack over the Clio Cup but it looks great, and is $10k cheaper. Pity about the interior though, the Megane looks great inside.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2011, 02:48 PM   #60
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave289
59,500 is what I got it for, and why I'd it a surprise for you? They are quite large, in DSG form are almost as quick as a G6E or FPV, and they come with much more like front and rear sensors reverse cam, proper satnav with touch screen and HDD, an FACTORY sunroof and xenon headlights... There's much more too. Mine was supposed to be $73k but I bargained a few stealers and got an amazing price.

Polyal, definitely wasn't interested in the 200. After owning a 182 cup, I knew there wasn't much further Renault could go with the feel of the old 182. The 197 and 200 are Great but they feel heavier, and much slower than the 182. And I guess I never saw them as being worth the $45k ask when most don't even come with leather or xenon headlights.