Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-02-2015, 04:21 PM   #31
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Default Re: Factory tours at Broadmeadows?

Maybe towards the end they may do it?
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 22-02-2015, 04:40 PM   #32
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I reckon it'd be awesome if you bought an XR8 you got a tour as it was built. Be pretty awesome to see it going down the line...
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2015, 10:14 PM   #33
CQB-241
Car tragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
I reckon it'd be awesome if you bought an XR8 you got a tour as it was built. Be pretty awesome to see it going down the line...
That's what my dealer was working on, hard part not being able to get a definite date. The news that tours have been stopped only just came through to him. Both of us quite disappointed....always wanted to see Broadmeadows in action, and what better way than with my own car on the line.

One of my dad's business associates/friends had been a junior exec with Ford in the 60s and walked an '67 XR Falcon down the line....that thing was phenomenally tight and had Fairmont seats and front discs with a 221 and slusher. More recently I had the pleasure of owning a '06 TTG that had been walked down the line by it's 1st owner, another employee; was beautifully built and painted and loaded as well as being a AWD 6-speed auto 7 seater.

From all accounts the FGX XR8s seem to be screwed together very nicely and would be great to see the process in action. Probably nice for those going the work to know their efforts are appreciated though I'm sure a few are on-line here and can see that.
CQB-241 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2015, 10:23 PM   #34
bionic2006xr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wish someone gets to walk a FGX down the line and photo document it the entire build and later put it in a book. I would buy a copy. I remember when I burchased my BF in 2006 on the ford website you could register and they would send you some build photos I had my dealer enquire about this but unfortunately it was sort lived if it happened at all. I was somewhat disappointed to say the least.

Cheers Ryan
bionic2006xr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2015, 09:23 AM   #35
I6DOHC

Was hoping to do this in mid-April this year, but not sounding like there is much hope. Reckon it'd be great to give the line workers some kudos for their efforts.

What also would be really great would be to hear from the PD guys that have poured their heart/souls into the Falcon over the years, and see the proving grounds as well.

Would love to ask them what they did with their DI prototype of the I6.........reckon I could find a space for that somewhere.
I6DOHC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-02-2015, 11:22 AM   #36
DrSnooper

Our club (NSW FPV & Tickford) did a factory tour in 2012 prior to the now no more FPV Open Day. Was a great day, best thing was at the end of the line when the teams were using rubber mallets / hammers / tools to get the alignment of the panels with a bang here and a bang there....

Previously owned:
2008 FG GT Lightning Strike - No 149;
2012 FG GT MK2 Rspec Auto Vixen - No 46 of 350;
1974 XB GS Burnt Orange.

Vice President - NSW Falcon GT Owners Club;

Combined Ford Clubs Delegate for NSW Falcon GT Owners Club;
GT Nationals Delegate for NSW GT Falcon Owners Club.
GT Nationals Judge - Modern Era.
DrSnooper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2015, 08:45 PM   #37
partsguy
Fan of torque steer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSnooper View Post
Our club (NSW FPV & Tickford) did a factory tour in 2012 prior to the now no more FPV Open Day. Was a great day, best thing was at the end of the line when the teams were using rubber mallets / hammers / tools to get the alignment of the panels with a bang here and a bang there....
I was lucky enough to go through yesterday with most of the parts managers from around Australia.
Thankfully the tour train was broken and we had to walk through, best tour yet, we got plenty of time to stand and watch, take heaps of photos and really get a good hard look for a change.
It was pretty emotional, you really get a feel for the amount of pride that the remaining assembly line workers put into the job, really feel for these dedicated employees.
Yep, the mallets were out at the end of line!
2015 LZ Focus ST, Frozen white with tech pack. Mountune intercooler, intake, Mountune sports cat, Mountune cat-back and Cobb stage 3 tune. FSwerks short shift and the best performance upgrade yet - Michelin Pilot Sport 4's. Quaife LSD.
partsguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2015, 09:03 PM   #38
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by partsguy View Post
Yep, the mallets were out at the end of line!
Hmm is that normal practice for car assemblies or just a falcon thing?
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2015, 09:03 PM   #39
partsguy
Fan of torque steer

Normal. It's just fine adjustment of the strikers
2015 LZ Focus ST, Frozen white with tech pack. Mountune intercooler, intake, Mountune sports cat, Mountune cat-back and Cobb stage 3 tune. FSwerks short shift and the best performance upgrade yet - Michelin Pilot Sport 4's. Quaife LSD.
partsguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2015, 10:10 PM   #40
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSnooper View Post
If you think thats rough, watch the Aventador video where they repair the carbon fibre defects at the factory.

Skip to 14m mark
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7JcuINGdBc
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post