Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-06-2010, 04:32 PM   #31
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt

EA to EL, EA got the big upgrade...well EAII did with the new 4sp. Egine upgrades (and engine trials). The I6 had a few different options but that was with tickford being formed. EB got the V8. Ed was just refinement. EF and EL were really just outside upgrades.A/C also came standard.

AU - well IRS is a big one, VCT, complete new body, engine upgrades and weight savings. 5 different 6's 2 different V8's.

I have to sort of go against you there and i say sort of

my 98 el has alot of parts that are also on the 98 au one biggy is the head and if icansay so what a mongrell to get a good cam for it ( hence me going to a standard e-series head)
the rest i wuld agree with 100%

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2010, 05:52 PM   #32
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason[98.EL]
I have to sort of go against you there and i say sort of

my 98 el has alot of parts that are also on the 98 au one biggy is the head and if icansay so what a mongrell to get a good cam for it ( hence me going to a standard e-series head)
the rest i wuld agree with 100%

Jason
lol, I was trying to point out that hasn't really been that big of a difference with what Ford has done from when the Falcon was first built here. Unfortunately they have lost the wagon and LWB. But gained the Terri so its a fair trade off IMO.
Old 27-06-2010, 05:55 PM   #33
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I know what you were trying to point out but someone has to be the devils advocote here lol

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2010, 06:27 PM   #34
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
EF and EL were really just outside upgrades.A/C also came standard.
EF gave us a standard drivers airbag, and the option of a passanger (EF-2)

Engine wise, the EF got coil packs, and also had the sepintine belt set up, removing the clutch fan and using thermo fans.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2010, 08:29 PM   #35
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
The VE update comming up is visually no more then new bumpers. The most we will see with the FG over the nex few years will be the same. Sheetmetal changes are too costly.
I'm not talking about the update coming this year, I'm talking about the Zeta refresh at the end of its cycle in 2012 which is what this thread is about...

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2010, 08:43 PM   #36
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
I'm not talking about the update coming this year, I'm talking about the Zeta refresh at the end of its cycle in 2012 which is what this thread is about...
Yes, and its at its 4th year refresh now, 2012 will the the FG's 4th year...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2010, 10:00 PM   #37
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

There's some minor cosmetic updates to FG next year in line with introduction of ecoboost.
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2010, 11:06 PM   #38
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
Yes, and its at its 4th year refresh now, 2012 will the the FG's 4th year...
GM Holden are on record as stating that they are no longer utilising the 'standard' 10 year platform cycle for the Commodore and that Commodore generations from VE onwards will be on 6 year cycles. Meaning the VE will fall due for replacement around 2012. Whether this is the much talked about 'VF' update or a new top hat remains to be seen. Ford will need some updates up the FG's sleeve to combat this.

Holden have not stated that they have abandoned the 6 year cycle for something else; this does not mean they have done so anyway and kept it quiet due to GM's financial problems, but unless we're told otherwise it should be assumed that the VE won't have as long a lifespan as its predecessors.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2010, 11:36 PM   #39
Bossxr8
Peter Car

With no money to spend I don't know wether Holden will be able to keep to those 6 year cycles.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2010, 11:49 PM   #40
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

They announced the 6 year cycles at launch; the basic architecture was supposed to last 12 years and after 6 a new top hat. I dont know if theyre still on a 6 year plan, but its nothing like what was originally planned anymore. VF was supposed to be launched 2008.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2010, 12:10 AM   #41
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPFS1
There's some minor cosmetic updates to FG next year in line with introduction of ecoboost.
They better give the XT a bit of a makeover. In my book it's the worst looking standard Falcon ever.
Old 28-06-2010, 12:24 AM   #42
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
They better give the XT a bit of a makeover. In my book it's the worst looking standard Falcon ever.
That is where I disagree.. I think the FG XT looks just fine for a base model..

And how can you go past that grill on AU Series I as the worst ever base model?
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2010, 12:25 AM   #43
block58
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
*cough* AU1 Forte *cough*
block58 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2010, 12:26 AM   #44
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPFS1
When you say minor are you talking plastic only or is there minor sheet metal too??
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2010, 01:06 AM   #45
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
That is where I disagree.. I think the FG XT looks just fine for a base model..
You're entitled to your opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
And how can you go past that grill on AU Series I as the worst ever base model?
Yes, I considered that.
The FG XT is not only been made to look very bland, but has a couple of things that appear to be purposely included to make it look not only bland, but also very bad.
For instance, it's not sharing it's rear lights with any other model, so why go to the trouble of making it's butt look that bad?
The grille's chrome brow/strip puts the whole front-end out of balance. It was made like this to make it look appealing in some way but again, it's going against the grain. Either have a full surround chrome grill (for some balance with lights), of fully colour-coded.

The AU's fan grill isn't out of sync with the car's design cues. But importantly, the difference between it and the other AU models wasn't that much. I preferred that grill to the Futura's.

It's all subjective anyway, my opinion of the FG XT hasn't changed one bit.