Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-06-2010, 05:39 PM   #31
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlewy86
i45 could be a real hit. Saw a couple on a tow truck obviously heading for the magic mile and thought Mercedes had released a new CLS.
I was going to mention that, the TV add looks pretty slick!
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2010, 05:47 PM   #32
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
I was going to mention that, the TV add looks pretty slick!
Hyundai is becoming a power house in terms of cars. It is little wonder why Toyota are scared of them.

Their new designs, however... That ix35 is ugly, and the new Sonata isn't that much better.

Good month for Falcon, I just hope Territory and Ute can pull Ford above 5500 for the month.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2010, 05:50 PM   #33
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hyundai is a good buy at the moment for the future, their cars are feature packed, high quality and offer good value, and in 5 years time when you trade it in or sell, their image would have improved to the point where the market would give it Toyota levels of resale.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2010, 05:55 PM   #34
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
Hyundai is a good buy at the moment for the future, their cars are feature packed, high quality and offer good value, and in 5 years time when you trade it in or sell, their image would have improved to the point where the market would give it Toyota levels of resale.
Hearts and minds still need to be changed. I think it will take longer than five years to get the Toyota buyers (and me) to consider switching to a Hyundai. That being said, I drove a Mate's i30 Wagon last week, and was quite impressed. I still wouldn't buy one, but I won't buy another Toyota either.
Old 03-06-2010, 06:00 PM   #35
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
Hearts and minds still need to be changed. I think it will take longer than five years to get the Toyota buyers (and me) to consider switching to a Hyundai. That being said, I drove a Mate's i30 Wagon last week, and was quite impressed. I still wouldn't buy one, but I won't buy another Toyota either.
Spot on, car purchases are just as much emotional as they are rational. No matter how good Hyundais are, its going to take a while to get people think of them in that way.

I think that Australia in 2015 will be viewing Hyundais in a much better light than what we view them now in 2010. But maybe im being a bit overzealous in suggesting they would be at Toyota level.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2010, 06:49 PM   #36
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...257737001D3586

Private buyers flock to showrooms

Quote:
Record May as SUV sales jump 29 per cent, despite easing of business demand

3 June 2010

By RON HAMMERTON

THE Australian new-vehicle industry posted record May sales of 89,218 units as private buyers helped to drive up volumes by 18.3 per cent over the same month last year, eclipsing the previous best May, in 2008, by 578 vehicles.

Sport utility vehicles (SUVs) again led the charge, up 28.9 per cent, with sales of the family friendly compact and medium off-roaders both climbing more than 30 per cent.

Year to date, the Australian market is up 19.9 per cent and on track to comfortably smash back through the million-unit mark by December 31.

Mitsubishi was a winner in May, with sales of its Lancer small car doubling from 1188 units in May last year to 2368 last month, helping the Adelaide-based importer to a whopping 46.4 per cent overall sales gain for the month.

Sales of its SUVs, the Outlander and Pajero, leaped by 80 and 57 per cent respectively.

Toyota retained its crown with 17,832 sales – up 15.2 per cent on May last year, buoyed by a 52.6 per cent jump in Prado SUV sales, making it the nation’s top-selling SUV in May, and a 45 per cent gain in Camry volumes, thanks partly to incremental volume from the new hybrid variant.

However, second-placed Holden edged closer, its 11,381 sales in May representing a 24.2 per cent year-on-year gain – the best of the top three players.

Holden’s gain was largely driven by its Korean imports, with sales of its hot-selling Captiva doubling to 1411 units – trouncing Ford’s Territory (1056 vehicles) – and Cruze small car (2484) having its best month.

Aided by a 33 per cent rise in sales of its Fiesta light car, Ford increased its monthly volume by 6.9 per cent, to 9022 units, but nevertheless lost a little more ground to the market leaders.

The battle of the importers in May was won by Mazda, which came fourth overall with 6928 sales (up 14.5 per cent), beating rising star Hyundai’s 6378 units (up 23.2 per cent).

So far this year, however, Hyundai sales have risen 55.5 per cent, even though its new i45 mid-sizer is yet to make a significant mark and the i20 light car is still to come.

Nissan and Mitsubishi are locked in their own battle for sixth place this year, and despite Mitsubishi’s sterling sales lift last month, it still could not catch Nissan, which rode a 26.9 per cent sales increase to 5814 units, driven by improved demand for its small fry – Dualis (up 270 per cent) and Micra (up 58.4 per cent) – and X-Trail compact SUV (up 86.7 per cent).

Subaru - whose 3610 units (up 21.8 per cent) was a May record for the company - pipped long-time rival Honda (3508 vehicles, up 10 per cent), thanks to fresh models in the Subaru line-up compared with the ageing range in Honda showrooms.

Subaru and Honda, however, may have to start looking over their shoulder, as top German importer Volkswagen is fast approaching, up 27.6 per cent in May to 3332 units.

Australia’s top-selling car again was Holden’s Commodore (3899), ahead of Toyota’s HiLux (3665) and Ford’s Falcon, which crept back up the leader board with a 14.5 per cent gain in volume, to 3258 units for the month.

Despite a commendable 45 per cent sales increase over May 2009, Toyota’s locally made Camry’s 1966 sales was only good enough to just squeak into the top 10, trailing vehicles such as the Mazda3, Holden Cruze, Hyundai i30, Mitsubshi Lancer and Nissan Navara.

Federal Chamber of Automotive Industries (FCAI) CEO Andrew McKellar said the May market showed that the industry was maintaining strong sales momentum.

“It is encouraging to note that private buyers have returned in larger numbers during May taking over some of the momentum that business buyers have provided over the past year,” he said.

Business demand for light commercial vehicles fell 2.1 per cent in May, reflecting the demise of the federal governments tax depreciation incentives for businesses that were in play at this time last year.

Overall, vehicle sales to businesses were up 4.9 per cent – well behind gains of 27.2 per cent in private sales, 17.8 per cent by government and 128 per cent by rental companies.

Year to date, Toyota sales are up 18.4 per cent, Holden has gained 24.6 per cent and Ford has lifted 8.1 per cent.
Top 10 brands May 2010:
1. Toyota 17,832
2. Holden 11,381
3. Ford 9022
4. Mazda 6928
5. Hyundai 6378
6. Nissan 5814
7. Mitsubishi 5742
8. Subaru 3610
9. Honda 3501
10. Volkswagen 3332
Old 03-06-2010, 06:50 PM   #37
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
Spot on, car purchases are just as much emotional as they are rational. No matter how good Hyundais are, its going to take a while to get people think of them in that way.

I think that Australia in 2015 will be viewing Hyundais in a much better light than what we view them now in 2010. But maybe im being a bit overzealous in suggesting they would be at Toyota level.
They don't have to.
It's Toyota that has to decide whether it wants to be a fleet player or move up market like Ford...
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2010, 06:54 PM   #38
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

http://www.caradvice.com.au/69661/ne...ures-may-2010/

Quote:
New Vehicle Sales Figures May 2010
By Alborz Fallah | June 3rd, 2010

Sales data for the month of May has been released by the Federal Chamber of Automotive Industries (FCAI) today and the news for the industry appears good on all fronts.

Last month saw 89,218 SUV, passenger and commercial vehicles sold, an increase of 18.3 per cent (13,777 vehicles) compared to May 2009. In fact it even beats the previous record for May (set in 2008) by 578 units.

“This is a record May result and shows the new vehicle market is maintaining a strong sales momentum, all vehicle segments increased during the month, demonstrating a genuine recovery in the marketplace,” FCAI Chief Executive Andrew McKellar said.

Those that thought SUVs would be a thing of the past by 2010 can skip over the following sentence. The SUV segment gained the most ground last month, up 28.9 per cent. Passenger cars managed a 19.4 percent increase.

“It is encouraging to note that private buyers have returned in larger numbers during May (up 27.2%) taking over some of the momentum that business buyers have provided over the past year,” Mr McKellar said.

The leaders were once again Toyota which sold 17,832 vehicles (20 percent marketshare), followed by Holden (11,381, 12.8 percent) and Ford (9,022 – 10.1 per cent).

So far this year Australians have bought 422,446 new vehicles, a massive increase of 19.9 percent over the same year-to-date period last year. Current trends predict another million-milestone year for the industry.

1 Toyota 17832
2 Holden 11381
3 Ford 9022
4 Mazda 6928
5 Hyundai 6378
6 Nissan 5814
7 Mitsubishi 5742
8 Subaru 3610
9 Honda 3508
10 Volkswagen 3332
11 Suzuki 2260
12 Kia 2034
13 Mercedes-Benz 2004
14 BMW 1501
15 Audi 1109
16 Great Wall 581
17 Jeep 563
18 Peugeot 524
19 Lexus 484
20 Land Rover 433
21 Volvo Car 407
22 Isuzu Ute 361
23 MINI 176
24 Citroen 160
25 Dodge 134
26 Skoda 119
27 Fiat 110
28 Proton 110
29 Chrysler 109
30 Renault 91
31 Ssangyong 86
32 Alfa Romeo 85
33 Jaguar 85
34 Porsche 72
35 Smart 15
36 Maserati 14
37 Aston Martin 13
38 Ferrari 7
39 Hummer 5
40 Lotus 5
41 Lamborghini 4
42 Bentley 3
43 Morgan 0
44 Rolls-Royce 0
45 Saab 0
Old 03-06-2010, 07:01 PM   #39
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
They don't have to.
It's Toyota that has to decide whether it wants to be a fleet player or move up market like Ford...
I know which way they're going John, and it isn't upmarket.

They're going to enter a war of attrition with Hyundai, that they may not win. Ford and to a lesser extent Holden should be insulated because of their niche products, but it is worrying that Ford is the Falcon car company. Their only shining light from the imports side is Fiesta, and that is because they have fought tooth and nail for every car. Focus is outclassed by the new Mazda3 and Golf, Mondeo is a great car, but it couldn't get arrested, and Ranger, although it has moved up, is still behind HiLux, Triton and Navara. Don't get me started on how they lost a 25 year contract with Australia post to Mercedes.

Holden should be worried. Ford are making a profit on their Operations locally, with smaller volumes, yet are catching up with Falcon, the new Territory is almost here, as is Coyote. The back end of 2010, and the beginning of 2011 is going to be interesting.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:01 PM   #40
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

What about the massive numbers of demos manufacturers are trying to entice dealers to register???
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2010, 08:02 PM   #41
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Territory 1056
Old 03-06-2010, 08:08 PM   #42
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Would it be fair to say the Cruze is stealing a lot of Commodore sales ?
Old 03-06-2010, 08:24 PM   #43
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs
Would it be fair to say the Cruze is stealing a lot of Commodore sales ?
Not really, small car segment is growing and Holden finally have a car that buyers like.
Focus and Mondeo may be great cars but buyers are staying away in droves.....
Old 03-06-2010, 09:26 PM   #44
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

While I'm happy with the Falcon sales, I just hope next month they don't slide downwards with all these cheap demos being registered. Really excited with the overall Ford sales thou, what a great result, well above Mazda which is great! Bring on the model breakdown.
Old 03-06-2010, 09:52 PM   #45
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
Don't get me started on how they lost a 25 year contract with Australia post to Mercedes.
That's a little harsh considering Oz Post wanted auto's and it's not available in the current model Transit, thus they never had a chance of keeping the business.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2010, 01:17 AM   #46
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

The first set of our graphical data is uploaded in the Tech area and can be found HERE

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2010, 09:28 AM   #47
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlewy86
i45 could be a real hit. Saw a couple on a tow truck obviously heading for the magic mile and thought Mercedes had released a new CLS.
Agree 100%. I've seen a few of them placed strategically in locked up carparks next to main roads and I thought it was a new mercedes too.

Quote: