Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-03-2010, 12:05 PM   #31
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor
How about VW groups W12 ;)

Similar size to a V6 but with 12 cylinders :

That engine still makes my head explode, I can't comprehend the concept of a W motor or even how it works.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2010, 12:23 PM   #32
gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
That engine still makes my head explode, I can't comprehend the concept of a W motor or even how it works.
The "W" is a bit of a misnomer and probably causes peoples' confusion. Think of the W12 as a normal V12 engine ie two inline 6 engines connected at the crank. The only difference is that VW didn't use two inline 6 engines, they used two VR6 engines.

So what's a VR6 engine? It's a very, very narrow angled V6 engine. On a normal V6 you have two separate cylinder heads. Now imagine a normal "V" angle is 90 degrees. What happens when you start reducing this angle? At 45 degree, say, you'd still have two separate cylinder heads but if you reduce the angle further the cylinder heads will eventually touch. So VW basically just made a very, very narrow V6 engine that had both its cylinder heads connected into one.

Hope that made sense...

Otherwise:
VR6 Engine

and

W12 Engines
gunner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2010, 12:25 PM   #33
Kamshaaft
Broken eBay Starter Motor

The conrods come in at slightly shallower angles for the lower banks of cylinders and IIRC the two cylinders that are paired together fire at different points in the firing cycle. It's a neat piece of engineering to get it to run as well as they have, but it's still bound to be less smooth than the Barra, or a Jag V12, or etc.

I don't know what the firing order is though. I'd hate to have to put a new dizzy in, as everything would be in Italian. If it came from VW in German, I might be safe.
Kamshaaft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2010, 06:55 PM   #34
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamshaaft
The conrods come in at slightly shallower angles for the lower banks of cylinders and IIRC the two cylinders that are paired together fire at different points in the firing cycle. It's a neat piece of engineering to get it to run as well as they have, but it's still bound to be less smooth than the Barra, or a Jag V12, or etc.

I don't know what the firing order is though. I'd hate to have to put a new dizzy in, as everything would be in Italian. If it came from VW in German, I might be safe.

Its german for a start, and as if it is going to have a dizzy.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:19 PM   #35
CPOCSM

Here is an Alfa with a straight 8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UyChWMbl_A

Bloody awesome noise!!
CPOCSM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2010, 07:29 PM   #36
Kamshaaft
Broken eBay Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
Its german for a start, and as if it is going to have a dizzy.
You got me.
Figure of speech.
Kamshaaft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2010, 07:32 PM   #37
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Probably a bit late in the thread for this, but anyway.
The car that Duston Hoffman was rabbiting on about in "rainman" was a straight 8
1949 Buick Roadmaster. Straight 8. Fireball 8.
Old 12-03-2010, 08:41 PM   #38
joolz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My Grandfather used to work on them years ago and were common for breaking cranks as they were so long.
joolz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2010, 08:44 PM   #39
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

With the breaking crank issues, couldn't you just make them out of a stronger material? I'd imagine it'd be a similar issue the 20B rotory engine has, they have problems with snapping their eccentric shaft when you start hitting certain power/torque figures which can be resolved by spending up on better quality stuff.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2010, 09:04 PM   #40
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
I was just thinking the other day, we've got an I6 right? Why don't we have I8s? Obviously it isn't just going to be as easy as slap on an extra 2 cylinders but how come we don't have them?

I'm guessing it would be a tad bit too long, but would it offer any benefit over a V configuration?
I must be getting bloody old, because it used to be common knowledge why the V8, but for the youngsters: the longer the crankshaft the more prone it is to whip at high revs. Not an unknown phenomenon even in today's supa dupa I6's. Having said that, common knowledge in auto circles is usually baseless.

Last edited by Wally; 12-03-2010 at 09:14 PM.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2010, 09:14 PM   #41
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
With the breaking crank issues, couldn't you just make them out of a stronger material? I'd imagine it'd be a similar issue the 20B rotory engine has, they have problems with snapping their eccentric shaft when you start hitting certain power/torque figures which can be resolved by spending up on better quality stuff.
Well, I'm sure back in the day when straight 8's were all the rage they could have made the cranks out of a stronger material, if it existed then and if the know how existed along with it.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2010, 09:44 PM   #42
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by melon466
5 cylinder is the best balanced engine you can get
Far from it, they have terrible NVH.
I-6, V12 and horizontally opposed engines are the best balanced engines.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2010, 06:36 AM   #43
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmo20btt
From what I remember straight eights had a common problem of breaking cranks, that is one of the reasons v8s replaced them.

thats not entierly true, braking cranks isnt a real issue this can be adressed with adding extra main bearings but the reason was simply real estate, to get cubic inches you need bore size X stroke so to get the size engine you eaither had a really long bonnet or went wit ha V configuration

theres still plenty of healthy straight 8's arround in the nostalgia seen

pitty classics.com are such tools about posting images on other forums perhaps if they did more people would see the image and follow it through to find more and they would get more traffic :

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2010, 03:19 PM   #44
buggo
[BU66OS]

Quote:
Originally Posted by melon466
5 cylinder is the best balanced engine you can get
XR5 owner/fanboy?

BA XR8 Manual
buggo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2010, 11:46 AM   #45
Quicksand
Lucky, lucky bastard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPOCSM
Here is an Alfa with a straight 8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UyChWMbl_A

Bloody awesome noise!!
That sounds HOT AS!!!
Old 15-03-2010, 12:13 PM   #46
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lofty
What I want to know is, is it theoretically possible to design a V8 crank to replicate the balance factors of a straight 8? In case that makes no sense, consider that you can make a parallel twin sound and feel like a 90 deg V twin by phasing the big end journals 90 deg apart. Yamaha did it with the TDM and TRX. So why wouldn't the reverse be possible, giving the character of a straight motor with the benefits of a V?
There's a bit of that stuff in the last Australian Muscle Cars magazine about the old F5000 engines. relating to how the angle of the big ends and crank were made in them.

as for straight 8's, it helps when you have a bonnet longer than half the car's length, like a Cord or Dusenburg. :
Old 15-03-2010, 06:50 PM   #47
[CaSeY]
Starter Motor

who cares about a straight 8, how bout barra v12 with 2 turbos
[CaSeY] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2010, 07:11 PM   #48
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
What I want to know is, is it theoretically possible to design a V8 crank to replicate the balance factors of a straight 8? In case that makes no sense, consider that you can make a parallel twin sound and feel like a 90 deg V twin by phasing the big end journals 90 deg apart. Yamaha did it with the TDM and TRX. So why wouldn't the reverse be possible, giving the character of a straight motor with the benefits of a V?
What you're suggesting is a flat plane crank, beautiful balance
and no counter weights required on the crank...

Sounds like two four cylinders, check out the Ferrari:...LINK
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2010, 07:12 PM   #49
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

Quote:
who cares about a straight 8, how bout barra v12 with 2 turbos
Waaaaay ahead of you mate - already got one in the works. The hardest part is finding the money to fabricate the crank and the passenger side head (manifolds are on the other side)

Should have about 700kw (960hp) when done but its a loooong way off.
If you buy a rubbish car, what you are saying is "I have no interest in cars." If you have no interest in cars, you have no interest in driving, and if you have no interest in something, it means you're no good at it, which means you must have your driving license taken away.
388cube_edxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2010, 07:16 PM   #50
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 388cube_edxr8
Waaaaay ahead of you mate - already got one in the works. The hardest part is finding the money to fabricate the crank and the passenger side head (manifolds are on the other side)

Should have about 700kw (960hp) when done but its a loooong way off.
what lol have you got a link to a build thread or something or are you joking
256rwkw

BA manual Typhoon
Fully optioned, 340rwkw@16psi (thanks Bluepower)!

The old ride....
AU Fairmont, cammed beast, R.I.P you made my p plate years bearable!
150.8rwkw courtesy BPR
Stattic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2010, 09:40 PM   #51
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

Nah mate serious but suffering from a severe lack of funds. I need to spend more time at work and less time in the shed.
If you buy a rubbish car, what you are saying is "I have no interest in cars." If you have no interest in cars, you have no interest in driving, and if you have no interest in something, it means you're no good at it, which means you must have your driving license taken away.
388cube_edxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2010, 10:21 PM   #52
Saraco

Quote:
And YAMAHA have done it again! The new R1(2010 MODEL) is an inline 4cyl but has a 90 degree i.e. two plane crank (all other inline 4cylinders have a single plane 180 degree crank) this thing is the most V8 like sounding inline 4 I have ever heard! Sounds even more V8 like than a V4!
Saraco is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2010, 06:06 AM   #53
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

a mate of mine owns Pauls Old Skool Only, he's currently doign a hart transplant on an old Buick

theres plenty more here if you are interested http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/album.php?aid=197364&id=334269315675

http://oldskoolonly.com/default1.htm%20index1.htm

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2010, 11:54 AM   #54
lofty
Rusticating

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent article on AU Power window installation. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yeti
a mate of mine owns Pauls Old Skool Only, he's currently doign a hart transplant on an old Buick
http://oldskoolonly.com/default1.htm%20index1.htm
Meaning what, replacing the I8 with a V8? If so, what's happening to the oldie?

Territory SYII RWD, BFII RTV tray
lofty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2010, 11:58 AM   #55
lofty
Rusticating

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent article on AU Power window installation. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 388cube_edxr8
Waaaaay ahead of you mate - already got one in the works. The hardest part is finding the money to fabricate the crank and the passenger side head (manifolds are on the other side).
Casting up a V12 block no biggie then?

Territory SYII RWD, BFII RTV tray
lofty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post