Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-07-2009, 03:04 PM   #31
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

This is great news for Ford, and more than anything, it should do wanders for resale. Something ford really need.
Old 11-07-2009, 03:19 PM   #32
ltd
Force Fed Fords

I feel vindicated. When I first saw my car in the showroom I literally was mesmerised, and I then had a week of sleepless nights trying to rationalise the purchase of it. Couple of days later I took it home, as it became a "can you afford it? Can you afford to live without it?" type moment. Now, having owned my car for 7 months now I must say I'm not at all disappointed. I still get that tingly feeling in the gentlemans area everytime I give it a bootful. Wonderful car which really does deserve to have a waiting list to get in (a bit like paris hilton).

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2009, 03:39 PM   #33
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
I still think they should drop that ugly XT, or make it look a bit less boring.
The XT has its place as a fleet hack, Ford did the emission and fuel economy changes to get more fleet changes...while not as profitable it does help spread the R&D costs.

The only negative out of all of this is the lack of stock Ford has. The Falcons sales numbers are lower then what they should be. The utes should be much higher and if they had the stock of the Holdens it would have done extreemly well in June. Hopefully these sales keep going and Ford can up-balance in the next few months.
Old 11-07-2009, 06:16 PM   #34
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My old man got a xr6 turbo silver in June, found it almost impossible to get what he wanted. There were hardly a car per dealer in stock, he wanted black, have been none in stock at dealers for months! He's wrapped with what he did get though!

EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2009, 08:53 PM   #35
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
The XT has its place as a fleet hack, Ford did the emission and fuel economy changes to get more fleet changes...while not as profitable it does help spread the R&D costs.
Is it not more profitable if they didn't give XT it's own unique front bumper and
rear light design??

My point was more to do with it's very conservative styling which actually
doesn't do the whole range any good.
The sole chrome lip above the grill ruins the car's flow. Either add some more
chrome to balance it out or remove it altogether.
The rims: They failed on the alloy's design and further ruins the car's overall
look.
It's these little things that cost nothing that make a big difference to the
car's general appearance.

It's as if they made it look cheap on purpose.
Old 11-07-2009, 09:14 PM   #36
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
The only negative out of all of this is the lack of stock Ford has. The Falcons sales numbers are lower then what they should be. The utes should be much higher and if they had the stock of the Holdens it would have done extreemly well in June. Hopefully these sales keep going and Ford can up-balance in the next few months.
Yes it can be a negative but they would be happy as pig in poo at FORD to have cars on order with none in stock .... way better option that what happened (still happening?) at Holden with massive overstocks which eats profits quickly.

At the end of the day, the number 1 priority for them is to be profitable ... not just to sell more cars than everyone else. Anyone can sell anything at any quantity if you are prepared to loose. Being number 2, then 1 would be on the agenda somewhere but not in preference to a healthy bottom line along with consistent production.

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2009, 11:20 PM   #37
BlueOvalPrint

Glad I got my 06/09 build G6ET on 30 June, cant imagine having to wait 2 to 3 months more to enjoy driving it. Keep up the top work Marin!!!
BlueOvalPrint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2009, 11:39 PM   #38
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was in the same boat, picked my 06/09 build G6ET up on 27th June. Only waited 5 days for it and that was because I had to go to Melbourne to get it.

You have to love dealers that are prepared to keep a lot of stock
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2009, 11:49 PM   #39
BlueOvalPrint

I think Rapid and I are among the luckiest members on the forum - both got our Velvet/Cashmere G6ETs through Etheridge Ford 3 days apart (Hi Anrdew, still LOVING IT!!!) Well worth the early morning flight from Canberra and quick drive back from Melbourne.

Last edited by BlueOvalPrint; 11-07-2009 at 11:52 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-07-2009, 11:59 PM   #40
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

There are still G6E Turbos in dealer stock.. The difference between Ford Stock and Dealerstock is something that the media make no comment on. Its easy for Ford to say they cant supply stock, but thats to dealers. It doesnt mean dealers dont have stock, and to say theres NO G6E Turbos around is a lie, as there are a few still in dealer land.

Its a shame Ford didnt ramp up May / June production to allow for the influx of sales with the invesment allowance, they definately arent that bright when it comes to predicting market demand and being ready for it... I reckon Ford could easily sell another 1000 cars per month if they actually had Ranger, Fiesta, and Falcons on the floor and available.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2009, 12:00 AM   #41
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueOvalPrint
I think Rapid and I are among the luckiest members on the forum - both got our Velvet/Cashmere G6ETs through Etheridge Ford 3 days apart (Hi Anrdew, still LOVING IT!!!) Well worth the early morning flight from Canberra and quick drive back from Melbourne.
you could have done the trip to geelong so i could have taken it for a spin

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2009, 12:10 AM   #42
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDManual
He's wrapped with what he did get though!

I bet he is. Verrry Niiiice!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2009, 12:35 AM   #43
BlueOvalPrint

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason[98.EL]
you could have done the trip to geelong so i could have taken it for a spin

Jason

Yes Jason but I wanted to get away from Swine Flu Central before any new Underbelly action started lol...

Cheers!
Dean
Old 12-07-2009, 12:10 PM   #44
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Is it not more profitable if they didn't give XT it's own unique front bumper and
rear light design??

My point was more to do with it's very conservative styling which actually
doesn't do the whole range any good.
The sole chrome lip above the grill ruins the car's flow. Either add some more
chrome to balance it out or remove it altogether.
The rims: They failed on the alloy's design and further ruins the car's overall
look.
It's these little things that cost nothing that make a big difference to the
car's general appearance.

It's as if they made it look cheap on purpose.
I'm betting the XT will be quietly dropped for the 2011MY and they will push fleets toward the diesel Mondeo and G6's and bog standard XR6's.

Also, having this super-duper waiting list for turbos is all well and good to given an indication of demand, but like hell people in this day and age are going to wait until September to get their hands on one. They'll go elsewhere; only the blue-bloods who know what they are and really want one will wait.
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2009, 12:39 PM   #45
500SEC

Great news that this new guy is running the FOMOCO show.

I'll be wanting to order a G6ET at some point, dpending on where i end up living, and won't mind waiting. Afterall, it means resales will hold up.

My only gripe with the basic XR6, and Falcon generally, is that there is too much dark grey in the interior. The pale leather option of the G6E changes all that, and turns it into a 'must-have' buying proposition.

Hope Ford provide more interior colour options in the future. My basic BFII ute has nice dual colour scheme and simple (but stylish) dash design which make it a nice place to pass the time.

Remember the XE? It had the option of a burnt orange for the interior, which (as an early teen) I thought was pretty funky.

BRING BACK INTERIOR COLOURS !!
500SEC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2009, 01:01 PM   #46
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfiipursuit
Its a shame Ford didnt ramp up May / June production to allow for the influx of sales with the invesment allowance, they definately arent that bright when it comes to predicting market demand and being ready for it...
I dont want to be rude, but couldn't DIS agree with you more if I tried!! Ford was the only company that saw the down turn and adjusted before it happened & didn't end up with "aged" inventory like others. No-one saw June coming, NO-ONE. Others just got a bit lucky to have extra stock leftover from not seeing the down turn..
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2009, 01:57 PM   #47
imugli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Also, having this super-duper waiting list for turbos is all well and good to given an indication of demand, but like hell people in this day and age are going to wait until September to get their hands on one. They'll go elsewhere; only the blue-bloods who know what they are and really want one will wait.
I think this actually works in Ford's favour.

Simple supply and demand dictates that Ford are now in a position, if the lists get too long, to either raise production to meet demand, or play with pricing to reduce demand and STILL make money, thus pushing the car into premium-ish territory, where waiting lists are acceptable to customers who understand they are getting a quality product.

I agree that the XT could go the way of the dodo for this very reason...

Only problem I see with this would be the question of whether Badge Snobs would be willing to shop a BMW 3 against a G6ET...

Last edited by imugli; 12-07-2009 at 02:03 PM.
imugli is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2009, 02:36 PM   #48
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
rear light design??
Well if the XT stands out from the rest of the range thats good. At the end of the day its a budget FG. Most buying the car would hope it is reliable. For looks the G6 or XR6 is there and it looks like a proper step up. It might be the reason why Ford are selling the higher models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by auslandau
Yes it can be a negative but they would be happy as pig in poo at FORD to have cars on order with none in stock .... way better option that what happened (still happening?) at Holden with massive overstocks which eats profits quickly.

At the end of the day, the number 1 priority for them is to be profitable ... not just to sell more cars than everyone else. Anyone can sell anything at any quantity if you are prepared to loose. Being number 2, then 1 would be on the agenda somewhere but not in preference to a healthy bottom line along with consistent production.
I probably should have worded my post better, as it was more the only bad thing you could see. But nothing wrong with their result and I agree with your post.

Also posters for the ramping up of production comment the entire process isn't like a switch, but a lengthy process full of o/t in getting the people and times right. Not to mention getting new employees in and they may require training.
Old 12-07-2009, 02:44 PM   #49
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

From what my insider has said to me

they are looking at putting on another 20 - 30 people in the Geelong engine plant so they can up the amount of engines put out

from what he was saying they need people in the main engine plant as well as the turbo fitting area in an attempt to keep up with the G6ET engine requirements alone that doesnt include the XR6T or the turbo ute

yes i have put in a resume at Ford so i hope that i may get into fulltime work soon

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2009, 04:25 PM   #50
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's tops that private buyers have really moved away from XTs/base models and are spending a little more on the better models, especially the XRs and G6E(T)s.

I have only seen a few XTs, with many, many XRs and G6Es. I love the look of them.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2009, 06:34 PM   #51
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason[98.EL]
from what he was saying they need people in the main engine plant as well as the turbo fitting area in an attempt to keep up with the G6ET engine requirements alone that doesnt include the XR6T or the turbo ute

Jason
Sorry that's wrong...............

It's the same engine on all of those models - no difference. The difference is which car the assembly plant fit it to !!

They won't hire more people, any additional capacity will be made up with OT..
Fordman1 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2009, 01:05 AM   #52
ED Classic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT69
The price difference between XT and XR6 isn't big enough. People spending their own money dont want something they see the local council getting around in. When $5000 extra gets them in to something alot nicer.

Also, being a 'fleet queen' also means theres no value in them. Why would anyone want to spend their own money on a car thats going to be worth nothing in 12 months time when government departments start selling off their cars?

Ah if its bringing buyers to Ford, And Ford are happy selling at the price then its found its market IMO.
ED Classic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2009, 08:49 AM   #53
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia
Can well imagine the XR's being good sellers. Very nice looking car.

And they have targetted the XR6 in a lot of advertising over the last couple of months with pictures of the front and a price that makes it hard to resist. Which reflects in its share of FG's sold.

You also see a lot of FG's on the road these days. So they must be selling well.
I have only seen a handful of FGs that arent XRs up here in Cairns.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2009, 10:55 PM   #54
mickvc1
G6 EGAS

Quote:
Well if the XT stands out from the rest of the range thats good. At the end of the day its a budget FG. Most buying the car would hope it is reliable. For looks the G6 or XR6 is there and it looks like a proper step up. It might be the reason why Ford are selling the higher models.

I probably should have worded my post better, as it was more the only bad thing you could see. But nothing wrong with their result and I agree with your post.

Also posters for the ramping up of production comment the entire process isn't like a switch, but a lengthy process full of o/t in getting the people and times right. Not to mention getting new employees in and they may require training.
Dont forget the supply chain needs to be able to ramp up again to support Ford, they have been downsizing for so long, shedding workers, now with this turn around they need to re invest in increasing capacity and being able to support increased demand, its not just Ford that has to ramp up
mickvc1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2009, 01:22 AM   #55
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickvc1
Dont forget the supply chain needs to be able to ramp up again to support Ford, they have been downsizing for so long, shedding workers, now with this turn around they need to re invest in increasing capacity and being able to support increased demand, its not just Ford that has to ramp up
That's true and you make a good point. But I have more inside knowledge on the Ford production line so I didn't go into the supplier.