Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-07-2009, 11:17 AM   #31
Fireblade
Wizard Member

You think your camry's bad, my 1.5yo F6 needs new suspension, bushes, engine mount, tailshaft coupling and a few other bits and peices, including a new climate control temp sensor, I don't think I will buy another FPV again.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:20 AM   #32
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6 FOON
You think your camry's bad, my 1.5yo F6 needs new suspension, bushes, engine mount, tailshaft coupling and a few other bits and peices, including a new climate control temp sensor, I don't think I will buy another FPV again.
I really don't think it fair to blame FPV for the tailshaft, engine mount or anything else related to the driveline considering the power you are putting out.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2009, 11:23 AM   #33
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Adelaide roads mate, Adelaide roads.........
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2009, 11:34 AM   #34
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
I really don't think it fair to blame FPV for the tailshaft, engine mount or anything else related to the driveline considering the power you are putting out.
Its so easy to see how car manufacturers get a percieved "bad rap" when people have a totally unrealistic expectation of them....

Old 09-07-2009, 11:48 AM   #35
Fireblade
Wizard Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
Your right on those two, the rest of it though shouldn't be worn out like it is. The car rides around like its a 20yo car, can't blame the power for destroying the suspension.

4Vman I don't have unrealistic expectations of my car, just expect things to last better, my XR6 is 4yo and is better condition.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:50 AM   #36
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Your right on those two, the rest of it though shouldn't be worn out like it is. The car rides around like its a 20yo car, can't blame the power for destroying the suspension.

4Vman I don't have unrealistic expectations of my car, just expect things to last better, my XR6 is 4yo and is better condition.
You can blame the SA govt and the SA RTA for those:
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2009, 12:05 PM   #37
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDfutura25
Now Trans clunks when putting into gear eg: P - R, N-D, N-R it clunks into gear as if there is heaps of pressure or like my falcons have if parked on a hill. There is a rattle when accelerating which the toyota guy said may be the engine mount or torsion bar thing.
Ahh the auto's. I remember having to get mine rebuilt. Lucky the guy I went to was the guy doing all the trans warranty stuff for the Toyota Dealership next door. He was not short of work. If you do stick with the Camry make sure the fluid is changed at low intervals (just like all auto's) that should keep it going.
Old 09-07-2009, 12:11 PM   #38
Fireblade
Wizard Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
You can blame the SA govt and the SA RTA for those:
Don't you think the SA govt already has enough to answer for haha, oh well was just having a rant. Only found out about it all yesterday.
Old 09-07-2009, 12:23 PM   #39
Crazed

Quote:
Probably my craziest idea yet, but after speaking with Esanda they said to find the car I want (XR6 if still there) get a figure on the camry and ring them and they will see if they will transfer any remaining balance onto the new loan. I just explained the situation with the car being back at toyota 3-4 times in 3-4 weeks and the current situation.

Do you have any idea of what the changeover will be yet? If its a lot it might scare you into keeping the Camry, if its not much it may be worth it.
Crazed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2009, 12:29 PM   #40
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

I'd never buy a Camry, but the missus' Prado is a great vehicle, I'd buy another one of those.
Mark351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2009, 12:42 PM   #41
Rob
Living the dream

When I was selling Jeeps, the amount of Toyota bashing we'd encounter was unbelievable. Ex toyota owners in droves were complaining that they'd bought what they thought was going to be the most reliable car of their lives, only to find out that the reputation seems to have been riding on the strength of Toyotas of olde - 60-series Landcruisers etc.

Also, Camry V6 vs XR6 is a strange choice, one is an econobox with no soul, the other has a pulse.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2009, 04:45 PM   #42
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Quote:
My over three year old F6 has 60,000km on it, has done numerous track days hard enough to do three sets of pads and a set of rotors and generally been the quickest or second quickest car on the day, has never had the bonnet lifted outside the 15,000km service intervals, has towed a caravan across Australia and has absolutely nothing wrong with it. I was thinking about going FG but I reckon I might have got a lucky build or something as it has been an ace and don't want to trade into new model problems so decided to keep it last week.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:06 PM   #43
HEMI POWER
N/A BOSS 390+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews
My over three year old F6 has 60,000km on it, has done numerous track days hard enough to do three sets of pads and a set of rotors and generally been the quickest or second quickest car on the day, has never had the bonnet lifted outside the 15,000km service intervals, has towed a caravan across Australia and has absolutely nothing wrong with it. I was thinking about going FG but I reckon I might have got a lucky build or something as it has been an ace and don't want to trade into new model problems so decided to keep it last week.
You must be one of the lucky ones.I have had many of headaches with my FPV from day one.I reckon if it was any-one else they would of driven it off a bridge. :
ALL AUSSIE MUSCLE
HEMI POWER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2009, 07:42 PM   #44
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
I need to vent and I appologise.

So as some would know I bought a camry over an XR6 :togo:.

Let me list the issues in the last 4 weeks of ownership if that.

Fog light not functioning when driving out of dealership
The bastards!!!!
It was likely burnt out from having been left on 24/7:-)
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2009, 08:01 PM   #45
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

It wouldn't be too surprising to have heard of these problems in a Falcon (or Commodore for that matter), but in a Camry, and it seems to be getting more frequent, more and more horror stories are coming out from Toyota drivers. At least Ford parts are cheap.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:17 PM   #46
iCat
doof doof doof doof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob
Camry V6 vs XR6 is a strange choice, one is an econobox with no soul, the other has a pulse.
brilliant quote!

good luck though, regardless of choice, your disappointment must be enormous.
iCat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2009, 09:06 PM   #47
CAMS290
trying to get a leg over
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
First off you should have bought a Ford!!
You won't like hearing this but 80,000 k's is alot, sorry but the kind of things you've experienced ive had with every new car ive owned at that kind of mileage.
I normally ditch leased cars at that mileage because they tend to start to get these issues and become a money pit.
You'll have to except its going to have niggling onging issues from time to time for the rest of its life im sorry to say, just because its a Toyota doesnt make it immune from aging.... Should the dealer be responsible for wear and tear? not really....
Want an issue free car? you'll have to buy a new or near new 1 with low k's.
Best of luck with it..
I disagree a little with you Norm, a lot is how they have been previously looked after.

We have got a 2003 VY2 Commodore wagon, bought it at a Government auction, had 110,000kays on it in 26 months ex Tabcorp vehicle, has done 155,000kays now.

Had only one fault since we got it and that was a buggered injector o'ring, still drives really well, no noises and vibrations, BUT it is looked after.

Serviced every 7,500 kays not the 15,000 that the manufacturer recommends, and that I believe is where some problems lye.

Modern cars have their service intervals pushed out to 15,000 kilometres to make them a more attractive proposition for fleet customers for their projected life of vehicle service costings.
When these vehicles are purchased by private people they tend to let them go over a already lengthy service interval, maybe 25,000 without a service.

It is similar with trucks, some European manufactures saying their trucks can do 60,000 kays when you use synthetic oil.......not for me, something has to give.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:17 PM   #48
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMS290
I disagree a little with you Norm, a lot is how they have been previously looked after.

We have got a 2003 VY2 Commodore wagon, bought it at a Government auction, had 110,000kays on it in 26 months ex Tabcorp vehicle, has done 155,000kays now.

Had only one fault since we got it and that was a buggered injector o'ring, still drives really well, no noises and vibrations, BUT it is looked after.

Serviced every 7,500 kays not the 15,000 that the manufacturer recommends, and that I believe is where some problems lye.

Modern cars have their service intervals pushed out to 15,000 kilometres to make them a more attractive proposition for fleet customers for their projected life of vehicle service costings.
When these vehicles are purchased by private people they tend to let them go over a already lengthy service interval, maybe 25,000 without a service.

It is similar with trucks, some European manufactures saying their trucks can do 60,000 kays when you use synthetic oil.......not for me, something has to give.
Cam, ive had allot of new cars, at the moment we've got 2 AU2 wagons at work, both around 100k's, both drive like rattle buckets, everything rattles and thuds, both have had multiple powersteering leaks, trans leaks, diff leaks, wheel bearing failures, nothing that failed or is failing could be attributed to poor care, i'm just convinced from 20 years of new cars that at around those K's they become money and maintenance pits...!

Old 10-07-2009, 10:03 PM   #49
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Well I was offered 14,000 for the camry by subaru, the shortfall would be 6000 as it stands today, the XR6 is gone (no surprise there) so for now the camry is staying.

I called and spoke to toyota, they said the head mechanic and dealer principle drove it, they also said yes it seems an uncommon thing to happen but it is not affecting drive ability so won't take it further.
Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2009, 10:34 PM   #50
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Cam, ive had allot of new cars, at the moment we've got 2 AU2 wagons at work, both around 100k's, both drive like rattle buckets, everything rattles and thuds, both have had multiple powersteering leaks, trans leaks, diff leaks, wheel bearing failures, nothing that failed or is failing could be attributed to poor care, i'm just convinced from 20 years of new cars that at around those K's they become money and maintenance pits...!
Beg to differ Norm. My T2 is near on 9 years old and not a rattle or a squeak to be heard.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2009, 10:35 PM   #51
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
Beg to differ Norm. My T2 is near on 9 years old and not a rattle or a squeak to be heard.
You're lucky, ive owned 4 of them now... all have the same issues....

Old 10-07-2009, 10:38 PM   #52
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Yeah i guess there is afew that will slip through the cracks but im surprised that this is the case as it isnt getting any older. Even if it does ill park it in the shed and buy something else
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 10-07-2009, 10:57 PM   #53
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
Yeah i guess there is a few that will slip through the cracks
Yours must of been one of them!
Most are the same as mine!!!

Old 10-07-2009, 11:48 PM   #54
Wally
XP Coupe

ED, rehashing your post:

Quote:
I need to vent and I appologise.

1.Fog light not functioning when driving out of dealership fixed
2. Inside drivers door handle broke 3 days after buying car (had to wind window down to get in and out) fixed
3.Vent clips fell off when touched. fixed
4.Now Trans clunks when putting into gear eg: P - R, N-D, N-R it clunks into gear
5. There is a rattle when accelerating which the toyota guy said may be the engine mount or torsion bar thing.
The plastic bits like door handle and vent clips would be raising a red flag to me. They are the kinds of things that indicate the car has been in an oven. Perhaps items 4 &5 are indicators too.

You obviously have a high expectation for the Toyota, and you wouldn't be Robinson Crusoe there. From experience rebuilding various engines and trannies, Toyota is certainly good quality... they have to be, given the high build numbers and financial exposure to any recalls.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2009, 01:34 PM   #55
Spanrz
Hmmmmmmm!!

Since when do Camry's have torsion bar suspensions rather than coil systems?

Did they re-engineer the Camry's?

Edit:
I know this is a bit earlier of a model, but the concept is there.
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=276024

Can't understand how a Rep picked up a "torsion bar" issue, when it's a piddly little thing, when the coil/shocker rubbers could be worn at the same time.

I was thinking they re-engineered the whole suspension, got rid of the coil systems and replaced it with a torsion bar system. Jeez, you had me going.

Last edited by Spanrz; 11-07-2009 at 01:45 PM. Reason: Extra Data
Spanrz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2009, 01:56 PM   #56
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Possibly another name for sway bar ??
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2009, 02:01 PM   #57
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Yours must of been one of them!
Most are the same as mine!!!
Its not fault free trust me im not sugar coating it but is still in VGC
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 11-07-2009, 03:32 PM   #58
ltd
Force Fed Fords

This has come up more often than not on various "warranties". A former colleague of mine has just successfully taken a blind manufacturing company to court over the terms "wear and tear" on a lifetime replacement warranty. In summary, the terms "wear and tear" do not mitigate the responsibility of the provider over the life of the warranty. It is both fair and reasonable for a complainant to expect repair, replacement or refund should the warrantor be unable to resolve the matter.

OP, I would definately take this matter further, but be prepared to go to another dealership or independent fully qualified mechanic (in your case an auto transmission shop) and then issue to the dealer the bill with a statement of claim.

Quote: