Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-05-2009, 09:47 AM   #31
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Kangaroos do not compete with sheep for what the is to eat,
So spake the learned boffin who'd studied long the kangaroo,
They're harmless, helpful little chaps who live on nettles, burrs & scraps,
You'll never,never see a 'roo competing with the poor old ewe.

They told me thus when first I came to join th' bloomin' grazin' game,
Their dirty, theivin', stealin' coots, that gobbles everything with roots...........

And every one I sees I shoots.
Their hides make quite attractive boots.

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2009, 11:42 AM   #32
Gabbs
Curry in a hurry

They are damn stupid animals. Haven't hit one yet touch wood but coming back from the pinnacles down the brand sitting at 110 and I see a roo standing on the side of the rd. I hit the anchors and slowed right down as I went past and it just stared at me.
Gabbs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2009, 11:48 AM   #33
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnedout
Kangaroos do not compete with sheep for what the is to eat,
So spake the learned boffin who'd studied long the kangaroo,
They're harmless, helpful little chaps who live on nettles, burrs & scraps,
You'll never,never see a 'roo competing with the poor old ewe.

They told me thus when first I came to join th' bloomin' grazin' game,
Their dirty, theivin', stealin' coots, that gobbles everything with roots...........

And every one I sees I shoots.
Their hides make quite attractive boots.
I hear you there! i'm from the bush and hate the stupid things...
Old 09-05-2009, 03:31 PM   #34
stupa

Damn, looks like someone needs a friendly nudge bar. Ive got one of these puppies on my commodore and its been backed into, taken out a few roo's yet the only thing that left a dent in it was a towbar.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Falcon-(13).jpg (60.0 KB, 83 views)
stupa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2009, 03:48 PM   #35
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

I see the bloody things every night and there's a few general rules I've come to realise that help minimise actually running into them.

1 - Roos are stupid and slow to think and react

2 - A stationary roo will tend to stay stationary until you are at least along side it and by then you're already past it.

3 - A roo in motion will stay in motion and no matter which way you try to go round it, that's the way it'll jump at the last second so the best thing to do is like they say in NASCAR ; "aim for where it is and it'll be gone by the time you get there"

4 - Whenever possible run straight up the middle of the road so you have room left or right should you have to take evasive action.

5 - A roo sitting on the road will turn AT YOU when spooked 9 times out of 10.

6 -I don't care what anyone says, these things work and will help keep the roos at bay.

For those of you that say, " hold on, you had them on the NF and still hit one", it was a blind corner and the roo came up a bank from behind trees so didn't see or hear me coming and I was committed to the turn when it appeared so there was nothing I could do......... and I did only say they help not that they were a guaranteed cure, lol.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2009, 03:51 PM   #36
stupa

the electric ones seem to work, but from what ive heard and seen the wind opperated ones are useless if your doing more than 100
Old 09-05-2009, 04:23 PM   #37
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stupa
the electric ones seem to work, but from what ive heard and seen the wind opperated ones are useless if your doing more than 100
They start working at about 60kph and stop working at about 120-130kph and if you're going 130 on roo infested roads you deserve to hit something IMO.

As for the Shu-Roo, you can keep 'em. I've seen too many embedded in crumpled metal and plastic. They were designed for Deer in North America not roos in Australia so put out such an intense burst that they scramble a roos brain and it don't know which way is up so it runs around in circles till it runs into something or you get by. I'll keep my money and spend my $2 on passive whistlers which I recon do damn near as good a job. Bottom line though, is that no matter which way you go you still have to drive defensively and not barrel down the road like you have a forcefield around you.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Old 09-05-2009, 07:08 PM   #38
stupa

at the end of the day a good solid bullbar is the way to go. just make sure its legal otherwise you may get targeted by the cops.
Old 09-05-2009, 07:13 PM   #39
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I love posting this pic

Pursuit hitting a Roo. Can't remember the speed, but he was just getting up to some.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2009, 07:17 PM   #40
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Geez Louise!!! A roo did that? Sheesh. I really don't like those oversized rats!
Old 09-05-2009, 07:18 PM   #41
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushbasher
As for the Shu-Roo, you can keep 'em. I've seen too many embedded in crumpled metal and plastic. They were designed for Deer in North America not roos in Australia so put out such an intense burst that they scramble a roos brain and it don't know which way is up so it runs around in circles till it runs into something or you get by.
However, have you ever hit a North American Deer?

Its claimed that the human ear cannot hear the Shu-roo... yet i can hear it plain as day... and its really annoying!!
Old 09-05-2009, 07:19 PM   #42
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEPRINT
Its claimed that the human ear cannot hear the Shu-roo... yet i can hear it plain as day... and its really annoying!!
Maybe your part skippy!
Old 09-05-2009, 07:22 PM   #43
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

He put shoo roos on the ute when he got it back from the repairers. As soon as you've heard them, you never stop hearing them. Lost count how many times I hear them in suburban shopping center car parks. Well I guess you never know when a roo will jump out :

They have a very mistakable sound.
Old 09-05-2009, 07:26 PM   #44
NC1183
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I can hear the poxy things as-well.

We set up the sine-wave generator and oscilloscope in physic's at high school and then started at the bottom of the human hearing range and went all the way to the top and beyond and i could still hear it at around 23 500Hz+

2005 FPV BF Super Pursuit

The new toy (now sold)
The SP

The old ute (sold)
www.aufalcon.com/nc1183

Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6T
If you look closely you can see the remains of a Hyundai excel that’s been sucked into the intake.
about the pic of 'CHOP YA' F6
NC1183 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2009, 07:52 PM   #45
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stupa
at the end of the day a good solid bullbar is the way to go. just make sure its legal otherwise you may get targeted by the cops.
A good solid bullbar is great as long as you don't mind the understeer, scrubbing tyres out and killing your front end bushes etc. prematurely. If you want to keep your handling and at least a semblance of the cars look and lines go for a poly Smartbar.

Bushbasher

MINE- AUII Forte

Old 09-05-2009, 07:52 PM   #46
kempster1

Wait until you hit a cow, Kangaroos are no longer a problem
kempster1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2009, 08:20 PM   #47
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
I love posting this pic

Pursuit hitting a Roo. Can't remember the speed, but he was just getting up to some.
Lucky it wasnt the bling mobile Bucky : he would have stripes on his face.

That is some serious damage though.
Old 09-05-2009, 09:03 PM   #48
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
Lucky it wasnt the bling mobile Bucky : he would have stripes on his face.
Skid marks?
Old 10-05-2009, 01:11 AM   #49
arlester

I can hear the Shu Roos aswell. One of the worst sounds in the world and feels like it goes straight through the middle of your head.
arlester is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2009, 01:33 AM   #50
sossy
Starter Motor

"6 -I don't care what anyone says, these things work and will help keep the roos at bay."

Agreed, I drive through Kangaroo infested roads every night, and I always have them on my car, and never see the little buggars, or at least they are bounding off into the bush as I approach

Every time I drive someone elses car without the whistlers (even for just one night) they are drawn to the car like a magnet

3 years bush driving, and the only two nights I've nearly hit a roo are the two nights driving a car without the whistlers. That's more than enough proof for me that they're worth the $20

Glen
sossy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2009, 08:05 AM   #51
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arlester
I can hear the Shu Roos aswell. One of the worst sounds in the world and feels like it goes straight through the middle of your head.
If it does that to you imagine what it must do to a roo,lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sossy
3 years bush driving, and the only two nights I've nearly hit a roo are the two nights driving a car without the whistlers. That's more than enough proof for me that they're worth the $20
$20!!, you're being ripped off, I pay $2 a pack for what you see in the pic above and buy them 10 at a time so I've got spares for when they get knocked off by birds, bats and stones etc. Actually, at the moment my local cheapie dollar shop has a bin full of them at $1.90 a pack.

Bushbasher

MINE- AUII Forte

Old 10-05-2009, 04:17 PM   #52
Froudey
Banned

Quote:

I think everyone can, i hate shu roos with a passion for that fact along.
Froudey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2009, 09:32 PM   #53
stupa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushbasher
A good solid bullbar is great as long as you don't mind the understeer, scrubbing tyres out and killing your front end bushes etc. prematurely. If you want to keep your handling and at least a semblance of the cars look and lines go for a poly Smartbar.
Bushbasher
Yeah, you do get a bit of extra wear and tear on the front end, just gotta beef it up a tad. and from what i've felt in the last 2 1/5 years of having a five poster hanging off the front of my ute is the handling doesn't really change, the bar scrapes a bit so no steep speed bumps and the front end gets a bit lite and fluffy at speeds you really shouldn't be doing on public roads anyway.
There are other spin off effects from having something like this as well. I've noticed less people cut me off, try to take me out and everyone driving neerby is just generally more curteous
Old 10-05-2009, 10:42 PM   #54
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Been there, done that - got the t-shirt! I think hitting a roo is a part of living in Australia. I do rate the Shoo Roos's though. Never hit one when I was living on the farm and had the SR's fitted. I did hit a wallaby on the weekend though :( Was towing a 7m yacht back to the in-laws property though so was not swerving. No damage this time.

The little plastic sonic whistles from Super Cheap/Repco seem to go ok though. Justwatch the speed when approaching creeks or other sources of water. The roos will hang around there and jump around pretty unexpectedly.

Take care on the open road people! Roo's don't understand 'look left, look right, look to the left again'!
Old 11-05-2009, 08:10 PM   #55
TURBOTAXI
Turbo Falcon Fiend

That police car hit was the worst. I will see if I can find it

Too many turbo toys......
2009 FG F6 Nitro LPI LPG 290rwkw on LPG.
2005 BAMKII XR6 Turbo with LPG (ex HWP 255,000k's and counting)
Honda 2001 CR500E Road registered CR500
Honda 1985 CR500 (the one with the arm ripping power)
DT200r regoed Hack
Yamaha IT/YZ 465 Vinduro rocket
Imported IT465 and 490 back up bikes
VF1000R mid 80's racer built by HMR
Honda CR480 Air cooled project road cafe racer.
T88 Turbo XT Falcon project with 351 Cleveland (mothballed)
Plus the rest.

TURBOTAXI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2009, 12:03 AM   #56
Froudey
Banned

Chuck up some pictures of Kangeroo / Cow / Wombat hits.
Old 14-05-2009, 07:05 PM   #57
Froudey
Banned

Got it back today and it looks tops.
Old 14-05-2009, 07:23 PM   #58
Froudey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemank
glad to hear your okay mate! and that doesnt look to bad...i tend to find that when the sun goes down, the roos seem to get more "adventurous"...anyways post up some pics when you get your ride back!!