Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-05-2009, 09:05 PM   #31
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
Got any proof?
Which one?
Old 04-05-2009, 09:10 PM   #32
Wally
XP Coupe

I'd like to see both Falcon and Commodore get together and promote the family sized sedan. While there is a natural tendancy to blame smaller cars for the bleed, there must also be a substantial number of people who switched to suburban tractors.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2009, 09:20 PM   #33
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Ive owned as many new holdens as new Fords and i can guarantee you their service is no better than Ford's, in fact my experience with holden's service makes Fords' look good in comparrison, toyota aint anything remarkable, neither is mazda either.. from my observations they're all pretty much the same unless overall, its a dealer by dealer thing, the only way to get outstanding service is go euro, but you pay for it...

My missus has her suzuki services done by a toyota dealer the service is better then I get at ford only marginally , But they do look for the problems you state not deny them before checking the car. Ford only seem to want to do oil changes probly because there is profit in it.

But the ads may get a few bums in new fords but the service and problems they will recieve will drive them out . To be in the same position as before .
I personally think that the majority of toyota buyers are ex ford and holden onwers fed up with the bs.

Also if you took the commo's and captiva goverment sales out, how many would they actually sell .
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2009, 09:23 PM   #34
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappy84
My missus has her suzuki services done by a toyota dealer the service is better then I get at ford only marginally , But they do look for the problems you state not deny them before checking the car. Ford only seem to want to do oil changes probly because there is profit in it.

But the ads may get a few bums in new fords but the service and problems they will recieve will drive them out . To be in the same position as before .
I personally think that the majority of toyota buyers are ex ford and holden onwers fed up with the bs
I think Toyota sell more cars because their range suits the average customer better now.
As for large family sedans well the SUV has largely killed off the "family sedan". SUV's are just too practicle.

Old 04-05-2009, 09:26 PM   #35
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

But ford and holden sell suv's but not that many.

Now i think about what does toyota have that ford and holden do not have a direct competitor for.
Old 04-05-2009, 09:29 PM   #36
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:

I personally think that the majority of toyota buyers are ex ford and holden onwers fed up with the bs
I must be charmed, because I had/have zip complaints about Ford or Holden service.
Old 04-05-2009, 09:30 PM   #37
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaxr6t
I would have to agree completely with this statement - how many people that had brake shudder on BA-BF's that had it band aided by the dealer do we know of.... I persobnally know of five cases of this and amazingly they seem to know how to fix it once the warranty has run its course. the dealers servicing the cars unfortunately mostly are crap, this destroys the ownership experience.
Since when are brakes covered under warranty?
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2009, 09:31 PM   #38
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
But ford and holden sell suv's but not that many
Come out to the western suburbs in Brissie and you'll see loads of Lexus, Mitsi,Toyota, BMW, Porsche, etc vans.
Old 04-05-2009, 09:32 PM   #39
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
I think Toyota sell more cars because their range suits the average customer better now.
As for large family sedans well the SUV has largely killed off the "family sedan". SUV's are just too practicle.
I thought Ford had a pretty good range.

You have the Fiesta as a light car(Best in Class apparently), the Focus (small), Mondeo (medium), Falcon (large) and The Territory (SUV).

Toyota have marketed well, but how they could call the 'new Corolla' (at the time) 'Hot'. It has no shape.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2009, 09:36 PM   #40
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
I'd like to see both Falcon and Commodore get together and promote the family sized sedan. While there is a natural tendancy to blame smaller cars for the bleed, there must also be a substantial number of people who switched to suburban tractors.
Why not Toyota as well?
The Aurion is also a choice for prospective buyers.

Holden are focusing on $$ now with their stimulus package thing.

I hope Ford really push the car itself (as they have Vs Toyota). I like the Fiesta's new line. 'Best in Class. Enough Said.' If people can't understand that, then Kevin Rudd's 'Education Revolution' is going as well as everything else he has proposed.

Anyway, it's dog eat dog. People know that large sedans are there.

Would you rather save a few grand, or have the superior car?

Yes, I know that money is tight, but if you're prepared to spend that much on one car, a little extra on a superior one makes good sense to me.

Don't snap my undies.
Old 04-05-2009, 09:39 PM   #41
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
I thought Ford had a pretty good range.

You have the Fiesta as a light car(Best in Class apparently), the Focus (small), Mondeo (medium), Falcon (large) and The Territory (SUV).

Toyota have marketed well, but how they could call the 'new Corolla' (at the time) 'Hot'. It has no shape.

They do have a good range . So there is no excuse .
Also the threads for the american fords we have been getting saying quality is now higher then toyota,honda and all of a sudden ford has the best selling car in the country .
Old 04-05-2009, 09:54 PM   #42
imugli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

People buy Toyota's because 20 years down the track they're still driving their fridge / freezer on wheels, nothing has gone wrong with it, it still gets good (but not as good as they think) economy and still gets them from a to b as well as it did the day they drove it off the lot.

Ford in America have been pushing the quality thing for the last couple of years now - every year more features are added and quality is better.

Can someone that works at Ford Oz confirm if such a campaign exists at Broadie or Geelong and if not, speculate as to why not? If so, why aren't we hearing about it?
imugli is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2009, 10:28 PM   #43
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by imugli
People buy Toyota's because 20 years down the track they're still driving their fridge / freezer on wheels, nothing has gone wrong with it, it still gets good (but not as good as they think) economy and still gets them from a to b as well as it did the day they drove it off the lot.

Ford in America have been pushing the quality thing for the last couple of years now - every year more features are added and quality is better.

Can someone that works at Ford Oz confirm if such a campaign exists at Broadie or Geelong and if not, speculate as to why not? If so, why aren't we hearing about it?
Didn't Ford use Audi's quality benchmarks to help them produce a better product in the FG Falcon?
That's a start...

Don't snap my undies.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:31 PM   #44
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by imugli

I dont expect a car to not have any problems after 20 years an i doubt a toyota could even accomplish that .
But in the first 50 thousand kilometres of day to day driving i do and not a major problem for 200 thousand .
Can anyone name any other product stereo/tv or even a house that you expect there to be problems in the warranty period and its ok if there is . Why are cars so special .
The truth of it is they are not, nothing sours buying a new car quicker then having to get somthing fixed .

Example if i bought a tv say lg and had to send it back to get fixed under warranty my next one will not be a lg, if it has no issues my next will be a lg.
It is simple . Toyota has done this and is reaping the rewards all over the world.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:56 PM   #45
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

I'm not sure if this should form part of the topic & I'm sure this has been raised before, but what's going on with Ford & 888 in the V8Supercars. Their most successful team (6 wins from 6 this season, current champions & the last 3 consecutive Bathurst wins) is running around with a pig where the Ford badge should be. It's an absolute joke; whoever's let this happen should have their head on the chopping block!
R-Design is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2009, 11:17 PM   #46
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I still can't believe anyone would bring their car to the dealer to get serviced.. You guys & gals must have too much money to throw around. Dealer services are nothing short of a big fat rip off!! Fine yourself a local shop & you'll be better of.
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2009, 11:19 PM   #47
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss315
I'm not sure if this should form part of the topic & I'm sure this has been raised before, but what's going on with Ford & 888 in the V8Supercars. Their most successful team (6 wins from 6 this season, current champions & the last 3 consecutive Bathurst wins) is running around with a pig where the Ford badge should be. It's an absolute joke; whoever's let this happen should have their head on the chopping block!
Been discussed and debated many times before, but Ford only sponsor two factory teams now (from reduced funding) and FPR and SBR are the only two to have factory backing. There are many reasons (a search should explain it all).
But I'll just mention that Holden have been reducing funding as well, they just did it in a smarter way then how Ford went about it.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:21 PM   #48
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
I still can't believe anyone would bring their car to the dealer to get serviced.. You guys & gals must have too much money to throw around. Dealer services are nothing short of a big fat rip off!! Fine yourself a local shop & you'll be better of.
Taking a new car to some places can void warranty.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2009, 01:11 AM   #49
fordfreak22
Starter Motor

I believe that your local mechanic is the best person to look after your car. My mechanic let's his customers be in his workshop and explains everything that he is doing to your car so your there to see what he does, and if I have a question for him about the car he'll answer me truthfully. Also he services and repairs a lot of taxis so when it comes to falcon's he's an absolute genius. They are also half the price than ford service dept.

He has shown me falcon cab's that have come in with the kay's gone back to zero still with the original engine and he told me that with the commo's and toyota's he changes engines between 350,000k's and 400,000 k's. so you can tell the durability of the falcon engine and these are car's that run 24hrs a day.

Also with all brand's service dept.'s if you have no idea about cars you will get ripped off for e.g. they'll come up to you and say we found this and this and it will cost you this and people just say okay like they don't have a choice.
fordfreak22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2009, 02:09 AM   #50
OZQUAD44
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Seems to me that ford have done a top job with the FG its about time they did a bit of bragging.

What annoys me the most about car advertising is the layers of allegiances publications have with brands, newspapers are particularly bad for it. For example , This weekends local rag had a write up on the new festiva and one paragraph into the story the writer spends the next two waffling on about the potential new holden Cruze. I thought the article was all about the ford but it seems no ford article in that publication can be complete without a put down to ford or some reference to a holden. I didn't read the rest of the article because I couldn't be bothered. I wonder how many other readers have trouble deciphering if its all about cash for comment or all about the car?

I would have to agree with the after sales, I'm on my third dealer since moving from interstate. After two ordinary experiences, It has taken me three goes to find one I'm finally happy with. (even if they are more expensive than the non affiliated competition).

As for the LPG add, I wish Ford would put LPG injection on their e gas models. It is well overdue, and despite selling umpteen thousand E gas cars in australia, I bet the competition will beat them to that punch and that will be a crying shame.
OZQUAD44 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2009, 06:55 PM   #51
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZQUAD44
Seems to me that ford have done a top job with the FG its about time they did a bit of bragging.
Email Ford and tell them that they need to target the advertising. Praise the new ad which succesfully compares running costs and fuel economy of the FG versus the smaller Toyota's. I did.

Quote:
This weekends local rag had a write up on the new festiva.
Fiesta!

Quote:
As for the LPG add, I wish Ford would put LPG injection on their e gas models. It is well overdue, and despite selling umpteen thousand E gas cars in australia, I bet the competition will beat them to that punch and that will be a crying shame.
Ford have sold 85,000 E-gas Falcons since they launched in the AU. If not for the whole copyright thing which stopped the Vallia/Boral Vapour system being installed a few years ago, we would have it now.

My thinking is that the DSI contract would've been up for renewal around then. The delay allowed Ford to see the GMHolden SVI system didn't really cost Ford many sales. So, instead of becoming / reasserting leadership, it was just cheaper to keep on keeping on. As opposed to introducing a better box and LPG system. Thanks Gorman...

I expect that the 4spd auto contract to DSI which expires June 2010 will mean we keep the current, outdated mixer system until then. I hope otherwise.

NB I do like the sound of 200kW/420Nm LPG with 11L/100km economy.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2009, 07:25 PM   #52
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Quote:
This weekends local rag had a write up on the new festiva and one paragraph into the story the writer spends the next two waffling on about the potential new holden Cruze.
I'd buy a new Cruze over a Festiva.

I'd buy a Fiesta over both of them hands down.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:00 PM   #53
OZQUAD44
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

OK OK I got it, FIESTA.

Festiva, Fiesta, Flora, Fauna, whatever, there all the same to me. Gimme a break fellas, I hardy fit the hot hatch demographic given that I drive a 5.4 litre "dinosaur" remember.

I call him Donkasaurus..... well I do now.
OZQUAD44 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2009, 12:17 AM   #54
500SEC

I think Ford should stir the pot by reverting to the old-style advertising of the 1970s when television viewers witnessed (for example) direct comparisons between the Ford, Holden and Chrysler. Ie, slalom tests between witches hats (XC v HZ v Cortina etc...). Not suggesting they dust off the witches hats, but might be a good idea for Ford to visibly and expressly trumpet its advantages over Holden and Toyota. What have they got to lose? They should stir the pot and make people aware of how much better FG is over VE and Aurion.
500SEC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2009, 12:39 AM   #55
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"What do the experts have to say about the FG Falcon Range?"

"First and only range of Australian built and designed cars to have a five-star ANCAP safety rating.
New benchmarks in interior quality.
The best transmission package of any car in its class, used by some of Europe's 'top cars'.
An engine that produces class-leading torque, and lots of power, while providing excellent fuel economy."

What do our competitors have to say?

"Nothing. They're busy searching for the answers."

You don't need to.

The answer is Ford Falcon and the G-Series.

(just a little idea)

Don't snap my undies.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:47 AM   #56
Paxton
Cobblers!

To borrow something from Ford.

"Now more than ever, Falcon is the answer."

That slogan from the XD/XE Days, still rings true today. Falcon still has class leading fuel economy, power, and ride.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2009, 01:12 AM   #57
motorcycles4eva
love the xa's

another way they can show reliability and economy is line up their opposition/ do brake jobs until the engine's give in/ measure the km's done in one spot/ then they can also state how fuel efficient that all was..
it may not sound like the best way to prove it but im sure i'll enjoy it..

lol..
as for the adds.. i wonder how toyota feels in comparison..they're basically taking the micky out of them arent they?
motorcycles4eva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2009, 01:13 AM   #58
motorcycles4eva
love the xa's

(i don't know how to delete this empty space)
motorcycles4eva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2009, 10:39 AM   #59
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Being Devil's advocate (and not having a dig) BUT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
"What do the experts have to say about the FG Falcon Range?"

"First and only range of Australian built and designed cars
Dirty words these days
Quote:
to have a five-star ANCAP safety rating.
Holden VE Commodore acheived 5 star ANCAP late last year.

Quote:
New benchmarks in interior quality.
Old benchmarks from the AU-BF days sting repeat buyers, likewise quality reminds repeat buyers of the likely (dismal) experience with Ford after sales service.

Quote:
The best transmission package of any car in its class, used by some of Europe's 'top cars'.
(for $2k extra)
Quote:
An engine that produces class-leading torque, and lots of power, while providing excellent fuel economy."

What do our competitors have to say?

"Nothing. They're busy searching for the answers."

You don't need to.

The answer is Ford Falcon and the G-Series.

(just a little idea)
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2009, 03:33 PM   #60
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au
Being Devil's advocate (and not having a dig) BUT:

Dirty words these days Holden VE Commodore acheived 5 star ANCAP late last year.

Old benchmarks from the AU-BF days sting repeat buyers, likewise quality reminds repeat buyers of the likely (dismal) experience with Ford after sales service.

(for $2k extra)
I thought ONLY the Omega reached it?
Hence why I used the word, "range"

Don't snap my undies.