Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-02-2009, 09:36 AM   #31
Tobey
BF Ute...

Quote:
Originally Posted by james22
All points now come off your license immediatly. They closed the loophole about paying the fine quite some time ago. As soon as you get booked you now lose the points, regardless of when you pay your fine. So effectively, Your screwed mate
How recently has then happened? I don't think this can be the case at all because you are innocent until proven guilty and they cannot take any action until either you admit guilt (by paying the fine) or go to court and are proven guilty.

If this isn't the case then you will be fine. I got booked for 12 over on my reds and got 6 points, however i was due to get my greens a week later, so i got them and then paid the fine.

Then drove for two years with one point remaining and got my opens just recently.
Tobey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2009, 09:37 AM   #32
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
All points now come off your license immediatly. They closed the loophole about paying the fine quite some time ago. As soon as you get booked you now lose the points, regardless of when you pay your fine. So effectively, Your screwed mate

Hmmm...That's not correct....I got booked 3 weeks ago , still no points added on checking my points on the RTA website....so phoned them to check...Theyre added once the actual driver's been identified (if the driver wasn't the registered owner) and when the fine's is paid.
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2009, 09:41 AM   #33
james22
With da Warlords

Yes but when you pay the fine, it gets backdated to when the offence was commited.

So think about it..... Regardles of when you pay the fine, even if you try to "upgrade" your license, your screwed

For Sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain.

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

XR50T Ute - 300rwkw (give or take depending on the day)
james22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2009, 09:41 AM   #34
james22
With da Warlords

www.rta.nsw.gov.au - 132213 - ring them and ask, I'm soo sick of argueing like this

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

Old 25-02-2009, 09:44 AM   #35
3vXT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT0132
I can't see anywhere where he said he didn't want to "deal with the consequences" as you put it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by S_M_I_D_D_Y
so, some *** cop booked me today, 88 in a 50 zone, about 10 meters inside the 50 coming from a 100 zone. $621 and 4 points. anyway, i am on my green p's, have either 4 or 5 points remaining, and will be eligible to get my full license before i need to pay my fine. is it possible to get my blacks before i loose my points to avoid loosing my license? This is in NSW by the way
You have to look really hard to see it but this looks like someone trying to "avoid the consequences" to me.

It is a little off topic but when someone that hasn't had their licence for very long in the first place and has already collected a few points starts a thread about how to cheat the system to avoid losing their licence after getting caught again, this time doing 38 over in a 50 zone do you really expect people to show much sympathy?
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2009, 09:51 AM   #36
james22
With da Warlords

Hehehe, That part in red is a doozy lol. I know he won't be able to get full license. My mrs had to walk for 3 months, identical situation, except not speeding, but talking on the phone lol. Tried to upgrade the license but no go. You walk, you come back.

She even had to renew her P's first, because they expired while she was walking. And you can't upgrade an expired license either.

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

Old 25-02-2009, 09:58 AM   #37
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yes but when you pay the fine, it gets backdated to when the offence was commited.

So think about it..... Regardles of when you pay the fine, even if you try to "upgrade" your license, your screwed

Thats correct, once you pay the fine and then it's backdated., not as soon as you get booked
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
Old 25-02-2009, 11:50 AM   #38
xy500
Constant annoyance

Quote:
I can't believe the arrogance in this thread or if not arrogance the number of "do gooder saints" trotting out their "tut , tut naughty boy" criticisms of the OP.
and there's always someone who gets riled up when someone says to cop it on the chin, these threads are all too similar.
xy500 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2009, 12:05 PM   #39
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken2903
I'd write that off as catering to the masses or just proof that some RTA employees and some cops are a little stupid themselves.
I know its only a little thing but it just bugs me that something so simple can't be understood by so many people.

I keep telling my mates that people are generally pretty stupid but I keep waiting to be proved wrong. I think I must be the stupid one for waiting
This is intriguing as I always thought that was the case until I had an official letter sent to me stating I had 1 point left and if I was caught parking incorrectly, speeding or didn't vote I would lose that point and have the options of taking a licence suspension or keep 1 point for 12 months - good behaviour.

This had me a little confused, but figured if I really behaved I would be fine.

Received my letter 2 weeks ago saying thank you for paying my fines and all my points have been reallocated due to the time frame they were removed.

Quote:
Falcon Coupe Since when do speed zones go from 100 to 50 ?

It must have had an 70 or 80 zone in between.
Actually there are many areas up here (QLD) with 100 going to 40 with no warning in between.
Surprisingly there are even speed limit signs hidden by tree's so you actually have to try guessing what the sign said lol.

In regards to the OP all I can say is I doubt you will get away with it and nor should you to be honest. If majority can slow down prior to getting next to the speed limit sign then I am sure you could have, no matter what the truck in front of you was doing. Unless the sign was not able to be seen correctly I think you should just be paying it and dealing with the consequences like the rest of us that stuff up from time to time.
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2009, 12:28 PM   #40
GT450
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I suppose the points you lost earlier were for things you didn't do as well. Cop it sweet 38Kms over the limit on any licence in Vic is a month of at least . Nothing you can do , pay the fine and do the time.
GT 450
GT450 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2009, 12:39 PM   #41
ehast13
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote: Fiery
Actually there are many areas up here (QLD) with 100 going to 40 with no warning in between.
Surprisingly there are even speed limit signs hidden by tree's so you actually have to try guessing what the sign said lol.

Qld is not supposed to have a more than 30k difference between speed zones. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but usually a sign has been removed(i.e stolen), knocked down, obstructed etc.

The real fun starts when local councils argue with main roads about who should trim foliage from around street signs. On some main highways, there is an 'x' measurement from road shoulder that is dept transports' responsibility. Other councils have by-laws that limit their responisibility re street signs.

Often, councils are responsible but Dept Transport gets the dough when someone gets caught.

But I digress,

A 50 kay zone is usually pretty obvious. Usually...

For instance, it often looks different to a '90' (or 88) zone.

38k over the limit in a residential (not slightly slower main thoroughfare, not off ramp, not pit lane at indy etc) is a bit rich. Maybe you need to learn to slow down a bit. I have been booked a few times, but not nearly as many times as I sped. The fact that u are on your P's and were nearly 40 k over the limit and you refer to the copper as an A$$ (maybe he was an A$$, you didn't explain why he was), might indicate a need address your attitude.

Cop the fine, cop the loss of license, take a safe driving course etc. You should feel lucky that your car wasn't impounded.

Not meaning to insult you, just a kindly peice of advice.

I wish you many years of safe driving.
ehast13 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2009, 01:36 PM   #42
dave289
Banned

the op has asked a fair question. he has admitted what he has done and has never tried to get out of it. he is just concerned that he may loose his licence ,as we all would be, and is just asking more experienced drivers out there if he will get to keep his licence by waiting a while until he pays his fine as this may save his licence. when I started on my p's I got 12 points every year(ah the good old days) and remember loosing 10 points in one go. I feel sorry for the p platers these days, they have it preety tough,speed cameras, no points, three yaers on p's ,no turbos, no v8's,ect,ect. I dont know if you are able to keep your licence or not ,but if you can it is worth the shot. dont worry about all the whingers telling you to cop it on the chin,from your post it appears obviuos you were always pepared to do this but hoped by delaying it you may save your licence, if they had a chance to save their licence thay would also try. the guy is asking for advice not ridicule from all the PERFECT people out there. I wish you luck in saving your licence, I would hate to be on my P's these days.
dave289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2009, 01:38 PM   #43
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave289
the op has asked a fair question. he has admitted what he has done and has never tried to get out of it. he is just concerned that he may loose his licence ,as we all would be, and is just asking more experienced drivers out there if he will get to keep his licence by waiting a while until he pays his fine as this may save his licence. .

Ahhhhh.... someone has read the OP's request properly

Old 25-02-2009, 01:54 PM   #44
S_M_I_D_D_Y

thanks heaps to GT0132, dave289 and any others who have helped out.
S_M_I_D_D_Y is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2009, 01:59 PM   #45
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Don't know about NSW or if the laws has change but I did the same thing when I got my open licence. I lost all my points on the P's but payed the fine late after I got my open licence and it worked. Back then you got 4 points on your P's and when I got my open licence they got deducted from that. That paying by check that someone suggested is an old truckies trick it also works.
XBROO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2009, 02:35 PM   #46
_CRUZ_
Ford Owner

Good luck S_M_I_D_D_Y

id get my licence then pay the fine bro.
_CRUZ_ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2009, 02:44 PM   #47
GT450
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

RTA website staes 30+kmh over the speed limit 3 months licence suspension for all drivers.
GT450
GT450 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2009, 02:47 PM   #48
westoftown

i've recently returned from a road trip and did a substansial amount of driving in country NSW and just about everywhere if your on the higway going 100 and there's a town coming up there's always a sign that says: "50 ahead"

This is aimed to give you notice; THATS when you should be slowing down

but i dont live in country NSW so i could be wrong . . .

PS: i hope you save your licence!

Quote:
charcoal: one shade tuffer than gunmetal grey
westoftown is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2009, 05:08 PM   #49
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT450
RTA website staes 30+kmh over the speed limit 3 months licence suspension for all drivers.
If this is the case, I can't imagine that there is anyway around your problem. I think your gonna lose your licence regardless of when you pay the fine.

If your ring up the Department of Transport in your state, you'd be able to get a more accurate and reliable assessment of your situtation.
SM1DY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2009, 05:21 PM   #50
ehast13
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

To answer your question
Normally, I wouldn't like to give this advice but...
Contest the fine in court. Tick the 'I wish to contest this fine in a court of law' box and send it in. It will take up to 6 - 8 months to get a hearing. By this time you will have your Opens. Cop it sweet in court room. pay the fine (thy'll probably give you ninety days to pay it) and enjoy your ford.

I had to contest a fine once. I got a late notice to say that I hadn't payed my fine. They had me down as driving a silver commodore about 100km from where I lived. I have never owned a silver commie, but the fool copper wrote down the wrong rego number. The fine was a double demerit weekend (six points) but I was at work anyway. If I payed it I would lose my license. I contested it and the case went all day. The cops really didn't want to back down. I represented myself, lost (!) becasue the cop said he remembered me and my blue Volvo! The judge ordered that I pay the fine, but not lose the points as he found the police evidence to be entirely unstaisfactory (and that I had eveidence that I was at work at the time the fine was issued) and that he did not beleive I was driving the vehicle. I was given 12 months to pay the fine, no loss of points and the cops had to pay court costs (about $1100 as they had subpeoned 3 witnesses - a cop, a radar specailist and a 'time of day' expert'). I submitted my costs (a day off work for me and my boss, our lunch at the local restaurant, kilometric allowance etc - about $800) and they paid for it too.

I paid the fine off at 60 bucks a month thru SPER.

Anyhoo, Smiddy....

The point many here are trying to make is that you might deserve to lose your license. You were a long way over, you've already lost points and you complain about others speeding and then refer to the copper as an '***'. Others claim you are not trying to shift blame. If that is so, then please explain why the copper is an ***? What sane cop wouldn't fine a P plater who is exceeding the speed limit by nearly 80%? I wouldn't be too keen to see a P plater pulling 90 down my street....

I hope this incident has opened your eyes. I hope you get to keep your license and enjoy your Ford. Please pay more attention to road signs in future. A lot of them aren't fair, but we all have to abide by them.

Best of Luck
ehast13 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2009, 06:11 PM   #51
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBROO
Don't know about NSW or if the laws has change but I did the same thing when I got my open licence. I lost all my points on the P's but payed the fine late after I got my open licence and it worked. Back then you got 4 points on your P's and when I got my open licence they got deducted from that. That paying by check that someone suggested is an old truckies trick it also works.
Yes, this was the case. Not now though. There is now a Statutory Declaration on the back of the Licence Application Form to get your unrestricted licence (colloquially known as 'blacks') to say you have no outstanding traffic offences. That is, those that you have received but not finalised.

Another loophole closed. I think it was relatively recently - maybe in the 2003 amendments?

Be very careful about signing a stat dec saying you have no outstanding traffic fines - it is far to simple to cross check given you have already been notified and its against your licence/RTA customer number. Ask Marcus Einfeld about lying on a stat dec about traffic fines... you do time for that! If there is a stat dec on the unrestricted licence application - answer it truthfully.

The automatic 30km/h + over the limit disqualification will get you as soon as the fine is paid and the points hit regardless of licence type though.

I can also confirm paying extra in NSW no longer works either. SBS reported it on some show years ago, and months later the system was changed.
Old 25-02-2009, 06:13 PM   #52
Flaming Mo

Just as a point of interest, if a ticket was issued for speed only 10 metres inside a change of speed zone, then it was issued contrary to police guidelines and official policy and could be rendered invalid.

In the interests of accuracy and fairness to the public, the use of radar is governed by formal operator’s guidelines or Commissioner’s direction. These guidelines cover acceptable hill gradients for radar enforcement etc, as well as change of speed zones. For example, a speed camera can not be operated within 200 metres of a change of speed zone (school zones excepted). If it is established as fact that a ticket has been issued outside of the relevant guidelines / policy, a prosecution would not be pursued.

Other radar such as handheld and mobile are operated under similar policies (distances may vary from state to state). I completed a radar operator’s course in the mid 90’s and from memory at that time the minimum distance was 150 metres. No doubt distances can be the subject of dispute.

In this particular case, I would think one of two things has happened. Either

1. the police officer has issued the ticket incorrectly in contravention of service policy.

or

2. The OP’s speed was detected more than 10 metres inside of the change of speed zone.
Flaming Mo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2009, 06:33 PM   #53
S_M_I_D_D_Y

ok, i was booked by a unmarked car traveling the opposite direction, and he turned around OUTSIDE the 50 area, however didn't pull me over until a few hundred meters up the road because of traffic holding him up. so at a guess i am going to say he checked my speed within 200m of the sign? anyway, screw it, looks like i am going to just have to cop it sweet. thanks guys. also, i was under the impression that 30-45 they MAY take your license depending on circumstances, and over 45 was instantly suspended. and, this was not in a suburban street like some have made out, it was on a highway, nothing but trees either side. if i got booked 40 over in a quiet side street i would have no problem at all with this, would expect worse penalties
S_M_I_D_D_Y is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2009, 07:01 PM   #54
devilcv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Firstly: over 30 over is a 3 month loss of license. this is before the points are taken into account. if the points put you over, then an additional loss of license occurs.
The loophole in NSW of delaying payment until you get more points or the 3 years expire and the points are returned has also been closed. I have used that loophole myslef, and my daughter has used it. however the loophole is now closed. last person who I advised on the loophole ended up losing his license based, on at the time of the offence the points loss put him over 12.

Other loopholes with relation to interstate offences are still working though.
devilcv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2009, 07:09 PM   #55
jornsmith
jornsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT450
GT450
This is correct. I was caught 38kph over the limit while overtaking(stupid i know) and lost my licence for 3 months and i am on my full licence. So it does not matter what licence you have at the moment or when you actually pay the fine either. When you go to apply for you full licence it actually asks you if you have a pending infringement(which yours would be because you have not paid it) and therefore would not allow you to get your licence. You could try and get it and not state that you have an outstanding infingement, but that too in itself would be breaking the law by providing false information or fraud or whatever and could land you in even more strife.
So to cut it short you lose your licence for at least 3 months and have 4 demerit points but could be longer because your a p plater.
Old 25-02-2009, 09:32 PM   #56
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
Since when do speed zones go from 100 to 50 ?

It must have had an 70 or 80 zone in between.

i was thinking the same thing myself, there are a few exits with yellow recommended speed signs (usually 80) and then 50/60 signs a little bit further down so the driver has ample warning and has no reason to still be doing 100
Stattic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2009, 09:42 PM   #57
xy500
Constant annoyance

Quote:
Ahhhhh.... someone has read the OP's request properly
his request was advice how to avoid the penalty, which is loss of license.
if your going to help people avoid the penalties for breaking laws what is the point of having the laws?
he's obviously got an attitude problem and think he's above the law and thinks he deserves some sort of input on how he should be penalised. Once again laws are useless if people decide their own penalties.
I don't know why any of you give out this advice publicly in the first place, and even moreso for a cocky p plater.
When i was a p plater, i got a fine for speeding too. I payed it and didnt call the cop an ***, he's just doing his job. Learnt my lesson, speeding is expensive, time to learn yours.
Old 25-02-2009, 11:07 PM   #58
3vXT

Based on what he's said about the situation i think he deserves to catch the bus for a while but...

to play devils advocate (though i'm sure he's not quiet that evil ) its not like he's come on here being a jerk to anyone. I won't comment about his attitude in other areas because i don't know the guy but he has been polite to everyone on here from what i can see. He's acknowledged the people that have answered his question and ignored the ones (me included) that haven't. I don't think i'd be nearly as nice if i were in his position.

Last edited by 3vXT; 25-02-2009 at 11:13 PM.
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2009, 08:07 AM   #59
dave289
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by xy500
his request was advice how to avoid the penalty, which is loss of license.
if your going to help people avoid the penalties for breaking laws what is the point of having the laws?
he's obviously got an attitude problem and think he's above the law and thinks he deserves some sort of input on how he should be penalised. Once again laws are useless if people decide their own penalties.
I don't know why any of you give out this advice publicly in the first place, and even moreso for a cocky p plater.
When i was a p plater, i got a fine for speeding too. I payed it and didnt call the cop an ***, he's just doing his job. Learnt my lesson, speeding is expensive, time to learn yours.
when I was a p plater I got fined too and thought the copper was an ****, even if he was not, It is natural to think that way after getting fined. you sound like a sour old whinger with nothing decent to add, good on ya.
dave289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2009, 09:28 AM   #60
xy500
Constant annoyance

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave289
when I was a p plater I got fined too and thought the copper was an ****, even if he was not, It is natural to think that way after getting fined. you sound like a sour old whinger with nothing decent to add, good on ya.
the same could be said for you