Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Who failed their driving test
Passed first time ( or course! ) 177 68.34%
Failed once 61 23.55%
Failed twice 17 6.56%
Finally bribed the examiner $100 4 1.54%
Voters: 259. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-12-2008, 01:06 PM   #31
jord070
XC wagons

i passed first time, and i hit a bin while reversing! i couldnt believe this, (this was only a few months ago too),

I also went 68km's in a 60zone, but i was slowing down, so he turned a blind eye.
jord070 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2008, 01:22 PM   #32
bloggs24
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

only practised in the car bout 3 time and fudged the rest of the hours before doing my test. done everything perfect, reverse parallel park, 3 point turn etc but failed because i was indicating to close to the turn.

went for a 2nd try a month later with no practice, screwed everything up, touched the curb reverse parking and didnt indicated when i came out of it, to try again, almost done a full u turn for the 3 point turn, got nervous because it started raining and my wipers a crap, then gunned it to beat a red light, but i passed, all because this time i was indicating nice and early.
bloggs24 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2008, 01:22 PM   #33
Debzilla_108
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i passed first time 100% no mistakes

only had 1 driving lesson....was pretty proud of myself seeing as the first time i got in a car in a car park i SLAMMED on the brakes coz there was a car coming the other way.and i freaked out... my dad nearly had to peel his face off the dash hahaha funny when you look back at it now really lol

"When there's nowhere left to turn...........turn right!"
Debzilla_108 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2008, 02:07 PM   #34
burnz
VFII SS UTE

allthou i past first go, a lot of ppl failed due to liverpool RTA having a hidden stop sign
on the exit from the RTA ground's.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2008, 02:19 PM   #35
bloggs24
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

we have a stop sign like that at our dubbo rta aswell.
bloggs24 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2008, 02:32 PM   #36
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ive aced the writen / computer tests every time, but my first drivign test I failed for not giving way on a right turn and driving to slow for trafic flow (I was packing darkys the whole time) then when I went for my MR I still cant work out what he failed me for, he gave me the sheet and explaind why he was failing me but I cant work it out as I didnt do what he said I did, 7 days later next attempet same assessor same driving, cleen sheet I still cant work it out and I went in a big red truck with lights on it too and that didnt help go figure LOL

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2008, 02:37 PM   #37
WILDB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I failed my written test for my L's the first time but passed my practical driving test for my P's on my first attempt - I did get one cross though for being in 4th gear doing 80km/h on the motorway instead of 5th. (Back when the Sunshine MWY was only 1 lane each way). Funnily enough I managed to keep all of my points while I was on my P's too.
WILDB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2008, 02:40 PM   #38
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Failed first time due to "skidding" and going too fast around roundabout. In a freakin LASER!! They were just crappy tyres that squeeled when going around. Have to say I still "skid" around roundabouts though in a FR now

Passed second go despite Laser overheating and wanting to roll over and die ie.cut out on me
sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2008, 02:43 PM   #39
bd737

Failed my car license first time as the bloke had to put his brakes on - reckons I couldn't cross the intersection in time which was BS.

I did my open HR (crashbox) test the other day and all the points I had off (1/4 points off for 'wrong gear for speed', 1/4 off for 'doesn't change gear at correct time' and 1/4 off for 'palming steering' were literally in the last 30 seconds of the test, pulling up to the depot - he said the entire 35 previous minutes were flawless.

I went round the last two corners in high-range fifth, palming the steering. e

Just shows you don't get complacent towards the end - it's not over until you're parked up and engine off!
Old 10-12-2008, 02:56 PM   #40
james22
With da Warlords

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
allthou i past first go, a lot of ppl failed due to liverpool RTA having a hidden stop sign
on the exit from the RTA ground's.
Similiar story in orange. There is no stop sign but a solid white line instead. It means the same thing however, and catches nearly everyone out their first time. Except for me lol mate warned me about it. :

For Sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain.

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

XR50T Ute - 300rwkw (give or take depending on the day)
james22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2008, 03:04 PM   #41
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Passed my C & HR licenses the first time. My C test went for bout 40 minutes and the tester seemed ****ed off that he couldn't Fail me, HR test lasted about 15 Minutes and the tester seemed happy that i new what i was doing.
Old 10-12-2008, 03:09 PM   #42
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR-CHIEF
damn i hope the QT blokes down here are like that!
i'm going for mine tomorrow, wish me luck

Good luck!

Just think, it's the only time in your life you'll need to do everything by the books!

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2008, 03:11 PM   #43
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

passed all tests 1st go
Old 10-12-2008, 03:11 PM   #44
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by james22
Similiar story in orange. There is no stop sign but a solid white line instead. It means the same thing however, and catches nearly everyone out their first time. Except for me lol mate warned me about it. :
Ours have turning lanes in the exit...
And a 5 way roundabout, i failed the first time because of this, my instructor told me to go by 'exit points' for indicating so i did and failed... but the second time i did the opposite and he wanted to fail me, seems the rules arent so clear with that one. I still want to know the legit answer.

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2008, 03:13 PM   #45
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i failed the theory test once but passed first go on practical.

i was tested by a police officer (due to no rta office). I had to take my dad's isuzu ute (four cylinder gutless, ugly). i did hill start perfectly, but he didn't ask me to do a parallel park (cool). in a 60 zone i got passed by a semi, the cop wanted his license plate and asked if i could catch up to him. i floored it, but dad's isuzu didn't respond (too gutless to accelerate up a slight hill) so i said 'no, can't catch up'. the cop wrote down the license plate on his arm.

Last edited by aussie muscle; 10-12-2008 at 03:17 PM. Reason: add
aussie muscle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2008, 03:27 PM   #46
BlackLS
yum

Passed first go. Afterwards I was told I needed to accelerate more briskly... Ok not a problem!

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2008, 03:31 PM   #47
honer
Back to N/A land

Failed my first go, was very nervous...

Failed to give way on a round about...

Passed second time though (Test was only about 3 minutes long as well !)
honer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2008, 03:57 PM   #48
Angry Beaver
Beaver fever

I failed the first time for speeding. Whoops. Not only that I was told that they fail a certain amount every week and to not go on fridays. Guess what it was on a friday.
Old 10-12-2008, 04:02 PM   #49
TOM-CAT
F-14 TomCat

Hah, nice thread choice :P

Both of my older brothers passed first time i failed twice :(
First time i was just ultra nervous, hands were sweaty and i was pretty much shaking. I have no problems with driving, i had been doing it for years on the farm, but when im in the test im horrible haha! was at a round about, and someone was indicating to exit, so i started to go and they didnt exit, i failed to realise this and almost had an accident (luckily instructor had his foot on the break lol).
Second time was kind of frustrating, but fair. i had done my test, passed, and on the way back to the license centre treated a stop sign as give way :( i swore it was give way, turns out i was wrong lol.

Third time lucky
TOM-CAT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2008, 04:14 PM   #50
RogueDriver

I passed the test for my car licence first time even though I was so nervous I couldn't remember any of it after I'd finished.
Failed my first HR test because I turned left at a set of lights and failed to give way to a car turning right into the same road. It was 50/50 as to whether or not I had failed to give way since the car performed an illegal lane change which caused him to have to slow down for me but oh well. Passed the 2nd one with flying colours.
Then I somehow managed to pass my MC test first time, even though we spent 2 hours prior to it just messing around and I kept screwing up. I missed gears, stalled it (not even on a hill ) and couldn't reverse the B-Double to save my life (despite being able to do it perfectly the day before). I still have no idea how I managed to pass the test with a near perfect score :
RogueDriver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2008, 04:27 PM   #51
Black F6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Went through a red light and still passed ha ha, was stuck behind a truck turning left at lights, one car in front of him, so they start taking off, i follow by the time the truck had turned, i couldnt see the lights, apparently it was red ha, still passed me though
10.25@138mph FG XR6T (new toy) (Nizpro)
Black F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2008, 04:37 PM   #52
john3136

Failed 1st time.

Car was stopped in the middle of the road in front of me (side street, no traffic lights, crossings etc, car was not parked or parking).

I stopped our car and waited.
Waited some more.
Waited a bit more.

Decided to go around (slowly) as the car was obviously not planning on moving anytime soon.
Tester decided that going around was too dangerous: instant fail.

Tester then gets out of the car and verbally abuses the stopped car. (It was some people from non English speaking background, probably neither of them had a license).

I can't remember if I went around the stopped car then back to HQ or whether I swapped and the instructor did it. Whoever did it went around the car (like I was failed for doing), cos that car was not moving anywhere !
john3136 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2008, 04:37 PM   #53
xy500
Constant annoyance

i failed first time as when i took my test i had to wait a while to turn right, some loser behind me decided he couldn't wait and mounted the curb to drive around the left of me, he happened to do this just as i got a clear path and so the instructor 'intervened' with the hand brake. saying he thought we would roll backwards into him???? passed the second time though, but only just!
xy500 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2008, 04:43 PM   #54
SilverMustang
Was Red Territory

failed first time....the one arm out the window and rushing to beat a train didnt help to much
1967 Mustang Coupe
1955 Thunderbird (Project)

Previous cars:
Audi Q5, BMW X5, Territory Ghia Turbo, BA GT
SilverMustang is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2008, 04:47 PM   #55
Antwon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I passed first time, got 96%, failed to look in mirror before braking everytime, and failed to check for emergency vehicles before entering an intersection. So glad a passed, because if i failed i would have to wait 2 weeks to try again and wouldnt have my ps now.
Antwon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2008, 04:49 PM   #56
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

Passed them all first time, Learners, Ps, HR, all first go, next one I go for I'll probably fail knowing my luck, as that will be the most expensive.
Old 10-12-2008, 06:02 PM   #57
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

I failed the first time because I didn't use the handbrake while doing my 3 point turn.
WTF???
I did the test at Five Dock RTA (for those of you that are familliar with the area), and the 3 point turn is the last thing you do before stopping back outside the RTA. It means you have to reverse towards a stormwater canal, and there is massive camber on the road, so you feel like you're going to go backwards into the drain.

I would have been fine had the woman not dived for the handbrake and reefed it on.
Frightened the hell out of me because of course I was already nervous as hell and wasn't expecting that.
So I stalled the car, and then rolled backwards before finishing the turn.
I parked the car and went to get out, but I had never had to remove the keys from the ignition (driving instructor's car) and didn't know how to. I didn't have my phone or any way of contacting the instructor, who was inside, without going in, and when the assessor heard that I couldn't remove the keys and I was asking him for help, she told me it was a good thing I failed for the handbrake, because I would have failed for not securing the car.
The second time, the male assessor said afterwards that the only thing I lost a point for was that I rolled into an intersection on a green light to turn right (had to wait for the arrow).
He said I should have stopped behind the line, even though I had a green light and no arrow, and then moved forward into the intersection. He admitted that people rarely do it, so he hadn't failed me for it.

When I did the HR driving test, I did the competency based assessment, which is basically an 8 hour drive. About 2 hours in we went to get lunch, then we drove out to Chipping Norton to help a friend of his that had become stuck in a loading dock in a semi, and then back to the bus depot again.
He said he had no hesitation in passing me, and the next day I got the new licence.

Dad says I should get a HC licence. Not for any practical reason, just to be able to say I have one. I think not. That requires another 2 exams because I can't step up that far from the HR in one go.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2008, 06:22 PM   #58
kristianvanek

i am a first timer, both times, had to do an auto test as my manual car died the day before the test, then did it in a manual about 1 year later (sh i still drove my manual car thou)
kristianvanek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2008, 06:36 PM   #59
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Failed the learners test 4 times, then read the book and passed. Got the p's the first go, with 3 or 4 "instant fails" (meaningless crap anyway). Passed by the grace of god, she justified them with saying that it was the best gear shifting she'd ever seen, and I was very confident. Hey, thats ok with me!
Jack91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2008, 07:24 PM   #60
iCat
doof doof doof doof

just passed - almost failed due to, um, speeding ...... apparently vicroads leniency is greater than that of our speed cameras lol

i think there was a warning in there for me somewhere
iCat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post