Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 24-01-2008, 07:17 PM   #31
XCSEDAN
i'm baaaack....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff EL 4.0
I thought it was 15% but i just checked the bottle and its says: 15% Nitro(im going to 20% next bottle ) 67% Metho 10% Castor Oil 8% Synthetic Oil
what engine are you running? force? OS? etc
try mixing your own fuel. that way you can make, say 500ml at a time to get the mixture how you want, careful not to go too high though because it will start to detonate.
we used to mix up 80% nitro and 20% oil for pylon racing. engines never used to last but god damn did they rev. :evil3:
ever heard a .46AX spinning at 20,000rpm? need to do some port work to them, but god damn that motor went, needed to do the liner after 15 flights though... still worth it.
XCSEDAN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2008, 07:30 PM   #32
Geoff EL 4.0
Is Ford, Is Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCSEDAN
what engine are you running? force? OS? etc
try mixing your own fuel. that way you can make, say 500ml at a time to get the mixture how you want, careful not to go too high though because it will start to detonate.
we used to mix up 80% nitro and 20% oil for pylon racing. engines never used to last but god damn did they rev. :evil3:
ever heard a .46AX spinning at 20,000rpm? need to do some port work to them, but god damn that motor went, needed to do the liner after 15 flights though... still worth it.
20,000rpm? thats not much. My .28 will rev to 30,000rpm no problems. Its from kyosho, and its not a bored out .26. 80% nitro sounds interesting lol, I think ill stick to buying race fuel from kyosho.ever seen a .28 kyosho engine with its conrod sticking out the side? it was in a inferno ST(the head wasnt done up tight enough) one second RRRRRRRRRR then click click click. Sorry no pics i didnt have a camera phone then and it was about 4 months ago.I was dragging him in my giga , he would win on take off but when i hit 3rd gear i would go straight past him, that thing flewww to. itd be like putting a 302 into a cortina...
Old 24-01-2008, 07:48 PM   #33
Uncle Raggy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campo81
Got any pics of the sprinter and speedcar mate?
Just the Lowndes car and he sprintcar at the moment. Speedcar to come once it's finished in a few months

Uncle Raggy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2008, 07:50 PM   #34
Geoff EL 4.0
Is Ford, Is Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleraggy
Just the Lowndes car and he sprintcar at the moment. Speedcar to come once it's finished in a few months

They look like so much fun! and money...are they hard to control?
Old 24-01-2008, 07:55 PM   #35
XCSEDAN
i'm baaaack....

Quote:
20,000rpm? thats not much. My .28 will rev to 30,000rpm no problems. Its from kyosho, and its not a bored out .26. 80% nitro sounds interesting lol, I think ill stick to buying race fuel from kyosho.ever seen a .28 kyosho engine with its conrod sticking out the side? it was in a inferno ST(the head wasnt done up tight enough) one second RRRRRRRRRR then click click click. Sorry no pics i didnt have a camera phone then and it was about 4 months ago.I was dragging him in my giga , he would win on take off but when i hit 3rd gear i would go straight past him, that thing flewww to. itd be like putting a 302 into a cortina...
ahh your used to a motor that revs that hard, with an 11x7 you are lucky to get an AX to rev past 14000rpm and thats REALLY screaming, this motor used to idle at 1600rpm and sound like it was going to cut out.... god damn it was a screaming motor, only good from 10000rpm up though, any load on it before that and it'd really struggle. (ie no steep climbs) also gotta remember im talking bout an aeroplane engines ;)
Old 24-01-2008, 08:00 PM   #36
Geoff EL 4.0
Is Ford, Is Good

Quote:
ahh your used to a motor that revs that hard, with an 11x7 you are lucky to get an AX to rev past 14000rpm and thats REALLY screaming, this motor used to idle at 1600rpm and sound like it was going to cut out.... god damn it was a screaming motor, only good from 10000rpm up though, any load on it before that and it'd really struggle. (ie no steep climbs) also gotta remember im talking bout an aeroplane engines ;)
I used to have a aeroplane, .46 os max, built it ran the motor in, never flew it though...i sold it. not sure how much that used to rev to as it was my first experience with nitro engines.
Old 24-01-2008, 08:08 PM   #37
Kryton

must say i have a few RC's laying around.
Traxxas S-maxx - modded, 4WD, 2 speed, Fantom FR.18 (43000RPM), Fantom Works Tuned pipe etc etc
Losi LST 2 - Stock
Axial Crawler - Losi Claws, Rooster etc (only got to get me on the rocks while i make......
Custom Clod Crawler - 2 years build so far. incorporating some of the latest tech (at the time), just chasing beadlocks and it should be complete.
Dominator Extreme - FULL alloy - sold
Twister CP 3D - Kitted - sold. cant fly and value my life.
CEN CT4S - fast but crap so it was sacrificed into a wall - R.I.Pieces
probably a couple of others over the years i cant think of at the moment.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2008, 08:08 PM   #38
Campo81

How'd ya make the sprinters mate?
Campo81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2008, 07:08 AM   #39
Uncle Raggy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
They look like so much fun! and money...are they hard to control?
The sprintcar was pretty easy, because it was SLOW : which is only because I was running the garden variety - pardon the pun - whipper snipper motor. The Lowndes car on the other hand is an animal! Especially when the tyres are cold. I haven't had it on a track before, I've mainly run it on basket ball courts near home. Absolute ball tearer. It wouldn't be as quick as your nitro cars though, but it's big and I'd hate to get hit by it :evil3:
Old 25-01-2008, 07:38 AM   #40
Uncle Raggy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campo81
How'd ya make the sprinters mate?
I spent a day at Sid Moore's workshop measuring a car, then I got to work. I'm a pattern maker by trade so I made moulds for all the fibreglass parts as well as the tyre moulds. I had the frame welded up by a fabricator at work. I did all the cutting and bending, he did the welds. This was in the days before I had a welder of my own. So once I was close to complete I took the car to Luddenham (when the photo with the other cars in the background was taken) only to be told the cage was too high, so I couldn't run with them once I'd finished. If I measured a real car, and made the height 1/4 of that, how could it be too high??? : But it was outside their rulebook so that was the end of that! : I still finished the car, and ran it on the football oval near home.

As far as the speedcar goes, there is no class for them. As far as I'm aware this is the first speedcar of this scale, so I'm making my own rules!!!! I'm using measurements from a car in Perth so it will be as close to 100% exact, engine will be a 50cc water cooled Polini replica (read cheaper Chinese copy ) and most of the other bits and pieces will be taken from the sprint car.
Old 25-01-2008, 01:24 PM   #41
Geoff EL 4.0
Is Ford, Is Good

sounds good, are you going to take some vids when its all running??
Old 25-01-2008, 02:02 PM   #42
adrianb

Yeah - was at a BMX track (Park Orchard in Melbourne). A mob of us used to go there every weekend for a bit of bashing and stuff. Theres an off-road track now in sunshine that races (1/8 buggies, 1/8 truggies and 1/8 monster trucks) once a month. I was doing sunshine, bendigo and shepparton but it all got a bit too time consuming so i gave it up during winter last year.

I've seen websites devoted to 1/4 scale sprint cars - those things look amazing!
Old 25-01-2008, 02:18 PM   #43
Uncle Raggy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
sounds good, are you going to take some vids when its all running??
Definitely! I'm aiming to finish it by Easter, so fingers crossed there will be some photo's and video's then

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianb
I've seen websites devoted to 1/4 scale sprint cars - those things look amazing!
Luddenham in Sydney has 1/4 scale cars that run the last Sunday of every month, and I believe they are also running the second Sunday of the month now as well. I'm going out there this weekend to chase up a wheel that is long over due on delivery, if I think of it I'll take the camera

1/5 scale cars run at Helles Park in Moorebank, but I'm not sure which Sunday of the month it is.
Old 25-01-2008, 11:48 PM   #44
M&Ms
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianb
Here's an action shot of mine doing backflips one day (without a body on it)

It looks like a Tamiya Nitrage 5.2. Am I correct??

I've got the Truck version (TNX 5.2, .32 engine). After 3 weeks, the crank pin sheared off and the piston and con rod went through the block. Bought a second, brand new motor off ebay to replace, and last tuesday the clutch bell bearings collapsed, causing the pinion to eat up the spur gear (Both steel mind you), destroyimg the whole clutch and flywheel assembly along the way, and snapping the end of the crank shaft off. Two motors in 2 months, each worth $349. Not happy!!! I just bought a crank shaft ($117) which should arrive next Tuesday, and new clutch, flywheel, and spur assemblies. Hopefully I can rebuild the thing to run again.

All's good when they're running, I've estimated mine to be doing between 70-80 km/h, and it sounds awesome. Can't wait till I get it up and running again. I'll post up some pics of the car tomorrow and take some pics of the aftermath of tuesday's bearing collapse.

I'm running 25% nitro, premixed fuel, called Massive mods HB444, which I've been very happy with. Would like to hear what others are running
M&Ms is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2008, 12:36 AM   #45
Geoff EL 4.0
Is Ford, Is Good

Premixed called cool power 15% nitro going to 20% on next bottle :evil3: .
Old 27-01-2008, 10:32 AM   #46
cowboy
Cowboy

My housemate has a Traxxax Revo, the thing can't be killed. First time I drove it went end for end into mates Hilux at about 50km, no damage at all, just bounced off and sat on it's roof idling angrily. Man does it go, going to do some videos soon of it in a drag with my Tornado and his Pursuit.

I wouldn't mind one of the Gigas with the twin engines.
1930 Pontiac Landaulet
1932 Pontiac V8 sedan
1935 Pontiac sedan
1937 Pontiac 8 sedan
1948 Pontiac silver streak
1949 Ford F3 pickup
1953 Pontiac Chieftain
1955 Austin Champ
1957 Dodge Power Wagon
1967 Jeep Gladiator
1975 TD Cortina
1978 F100 4x4
2006 GU Patrol ute
cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2008, 10:44 AM   #47
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've got an Losi-LST2 that I bash around.

Heres a short vid of when I was bashing around and running it in -> http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=JSgHkNYODV0

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2008, 10:50 AM   #48
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How much would that ute set you back? I wouldn't mind one of them for christmas
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2008, 12:40 PM   #49
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

OMFG i cant beleive the sizes of some of these cars. Ive had to but sold them both, id love to get another one though they are so much fun
Old 27-01-2008, 06:26 PM   #50
Geoff EL 4.0
Is Ford, Is Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy

I wouldn't mind one of the Gigas with the twin engines.
My Pop has one of them, its the 2 .26 engines its goes pretty hard, fun to do wheelies with . but its pain to get them running the same tune, when my .28 dies im going to buy 2 .28 and run twins. but thats along way off seeing as though i thrash my engine and this is how it looks.
.28ci Dirty cause i wiped it with a rag as i had alotttt of fuel in there because it was siezed and i had to put alot of fuel to get it to turn over as it hadnt been run for about 4 months and i didnt even turn it over..

Old 27-01-2008, 06:31 PM   #51
Geoff EL 4.0
Is Ford, Is Good

Quote:
Do you have any pics? what kind of motor was it?what is its max rev?
cheersss
Old 27-01-2008, 07:03 PM   #52
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've always read about the engines siezing if left unused. One thing I don't understand? I had a Novarossi 12R .12cc engine that wasn't run since 1999. I fired it up in 2003 without an issue. I also had and still have a Novarossi 15R .15cc that hadn't been fired since 1999. Fired it up in 2007 without a problem. Both engines were in car I'd raced since 1996. My LST2 hasn't been fired in a few months now but it'll be fine. I'm sure off it.

My question? Do you 100% run them out of fuel before storing them? If not? I believe the issue isn't as prominent in engines that have been run 100% dry of their fuel.

Old 27-01-2008, 07:19 PM   #53
Geoff EL 4.0
Is Ford, Is Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenx
I've always read about the engines siezing if left unused. One thing I don't understand? I had a Novarossi 12R .12cc engine that wasn't run since 1999. I fired it up in 2003 without an issue. I also had and still have a Novarossi 15R .15cc that hadn't been fired since 1999. Fired it up in 2007 without a problem. Both engines were in car I'd raced since 1996. My LST2 hasn't been fired in a few months now but it'll be fine. I'm sure off it.

My question? Do you 100% run them out of fuel before storing them? If not? I believe the issue isn't as prominent in engines that have been run 100% dry of their fuel.
After each run i disconnected the fuel lines set it at half throttle and put the glow starter in and pull it untill it stops firing then one more.I pulled it once and then it got stuck and i had to use the flywheel to get it back the other way, and i had fuel in there to, i dont know why but it just happened and i thought it was because it wasnt lubricated and not moved for 2-3months
Old 27-01-2008, 07:38 PM   #54
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hmm. I'm not sure whats going on there then.

Old 27-01-2008, 07:43 PM   #55
Geoff EL 4.0
Is Ford, Is Good

Quote:
Hmm. I'm not sure whats going on there then.
well it runs now and is almost running 100% as you can see if those 3 vids on page 2, i still need to tune it perfectly, but because im going to 20% theres on point spending time tuning it for 15% when ill have to retune for 20%....i like tuning it though
Old 28-01-2008, 12:28 AM   #56
XCSEDAN
i'm baaaack....

Quote:
Do you have any pics? what kind of motor was it?what is its max rev?
cheersss
46AX mate, nah no pics, would turn above 20,000rpm but it used to get really hot above that.

Quote:

the engines seize because the bearings rust due to the methanol and nitro corroding the hardened coating.
when i store a motor i NEVER run it dry, why do you ask? BECAUSE THE OIL IS IN THE DAMN FUEL!!! so say your turning a motor over at... 2000rpm, when it runs out of fuel it runs out of oil too. extreme wear on every moving compent on the inside. (end journal(s), main journals, rings/piston, liner etc)
now what i do with mine is, i run them close to empty, then leave take the head off, and heat the engine up in the oven to 50*c (thus evaporating all methanol and nitro).
i then poor oil over the piston, then i put the head back on, and put oil down the carby and turn the engine over by hand until i can feel the oil working its way in.

Last edited by XCSEDAN; 28-01-2008 at 12:35 AM.
Old 28-01-2008, 12:33 AM   #57
Geoff EL 4.0
Is Ford, Is Good

Quote:
46AX mate, nah no pics, would turn above 20,000rpm but it used to get really hot above that.
what was that motor that would just hit 14,000rpm?
Old 28-01-2008, 12:41 AM   #58
XCSEDAN
i'm baaaack....

Quote:
what was that motor that would just hit 14,000rpm?
standard one would turn to 14000 with an 11x7 if you REALLY pushed it (i'm talking full throttle vertical dive here for say 300 feet?), this had a lot of porting done, compression raised, a custom race pipe and it needed a certain prop too (it used to change pitch as the rpm/load varied due to its crappy english engineering hahaha)
this engine was STRICTLY for pylon only. and like i said needed a rebuild every 15 flights MAX.
was a really touchy engine, was a bit of fun to screw round with though.

next time we will do an ervine.

i've just pulled up the stock AX page for you to look at ;)
http://www.osengines.com/engines/osmg0547.html
the website says they do more then 14000rpm but geez... can't see it happening unless you were running a 9x5 or similar.
Old 28-01-2008, 12:51 AM   #59
Geoff EL 4.0
Is Ford, Is Good

Quote:

the engines seize because the bearings rust due to the methanol and nitro corroding the hardened coating.
when i store a motor i NEVER run it dry, why do you ask? BECAUSE THE OIL IS IN THE DAMN FUEL!!! so say your turning a motor over at... 2000rpm, when it runs out of fuel it runs out of oil too. extreme wear on every moving compent on the inside. (end journal(s), main journals, rings/piston, liner etc)
now what i do with mine is, i run them close to empty, then leave take the head off, and heat the engine up in the oven to 50*c (thus evaporating all methanol and nitro).
i then poor oil over the piston, then i put the head back on, and put oil down the carby and turn the engine over by hand until i can feel the oil working its way in.
Well if you have a look at my piston and sleeve pics there is nothing wrong with them and i have been doing that techneque the whole time i have had this car, when its running i give it a good thrashing .
Old 28-01-2008, 12:52 AM   #60
^kicker^

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleraggy
Definitely! I'm aiming to finish it by Easter, so fingers crossed there will be some photo's and video's then
Mate, DEFFINATLEY get pics + vids up. would love to see them.
If you know of any websites with the speedway RC's (especially ones for sale), let me know

Thanks.
Rob.
^kicker^ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post