Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 22-10-2007, 05:10 PM   #31
fmc351
let it burn

No parent should ever have to bury a child, and no parent should have to be the one to find them that way. Thats awful, poor bugger its an image he will never shake, ever. Most people who go through the loss of kids have to know it happened, imagine how etc, and that is horrific enough. This guy got to see it in every detail.

There are different ways you could read this article when looking at the context of this thread. The 'knockers' seem focused on feel sorry for the copper purely as a result of losing a child, and while I do, its not how I read it for the context of deserving respect. Its perspective.

I read it as, apart from the obvious tragedy, police are concerned for your safety, the government may not be, but Police usually are. They too feel the pain of losing someone close, or fear of, and they see the accidents every day that dont lead to death, but so easily could have. Then they see you speeding, hooning, etc.

When the copper is hard on you for breaking road rules, think tough love, not bullying. He is concerned for you, your passengers, but also the other people on or near the road, the innocent unsuspecting public. You may not like his/her approach, but recognise at least that they are coming from the right place. Safety is most likely his/her perspective, not 'party pooper'. They are trying to prevent a tragedy, not clean it up after the fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Terror
Why does the officer deserve any extra respect because his son died and he happened to be called to the scene?
You answered your own question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
Yet another Learner in a "safe" non-turbo, non-V8 powered vehicle that is probably not equipped with DSC... a tragic reminder that you don't need to be driving a performance car to lose control and further proof that the current solution clearly doesn't stop inexperienced drivers from tragically killing themselves and others.
With the lack of logic displayed by legislators, do you really want to draw more attention to those facts.

The result of getting your point across will not be a reversal of the current laws, just a tightening of them. Hows a Daewoo Getz sound as your first car? Think about it, thats how they work.
Old 22-10-2007, 05:43 PM   #32
TEaaron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don't get me wrong I sympathize for the guy.

But if this wasn't a cops son the head line would read somthing like.

YOUNG HOON DIES KILLS INNOCENT TEENAGER AND INJURES OTHER IN UNROAD WORTHY COMMODORE DOING EXCESSIVE SPEEDS THROUGH TRAFFIC

E32 740iL Leather, sound system, rollin' on 19's
Old 22-10-2007, 05:47 PM   #33
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEaaron
Don't get me wrong I sympathize for the guy.

But if this wasn't a cops son the head line would read somthing like.

YOUNG HOON DIES KILLS INNOCENT TEENAGER AND INJURES OTHER IN UNROAD WORTHY COMMODORE DOING EXCESSIVE SPEEDS THROUGH TRAFFIC
Youre right, but its not a Police bias. Its a media bias, the story as it is sells better than 'hoon'. One has nothing to do with the other, the story is the media responsibility, not Police.
Old 22-10-2007, 06:43 PM   #34
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

I feel sorry for the guy, it's a scenario which happens all too often in small communities as most people know each other.
A friend of mine lost her husband and brother in a single vehicle accident 10 yrs ago and she was first to find them amongst some scrub the next morning.
Shocking stuff and very nearly pushed her over the edge.
The one positive to come from the situation was that the community pulled together to support her and the children and they moved on.
I have lost many friends over the years to country road accidents and hated seeing the ambulance going out of town late on a Friday/Sat night because you cant help but wonder who it is this time.
Old 22-10-2007, 06:56 PM   #35
RIPGMH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Terrible way to find out, but in reality its the actual loss that's devastating. The majority of the people shot by police have a parent/s that would be going through similar emotions as this man. Pity him but not because he is a policeman.
Old 22-10-2007, 07:02 PM   #36
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

I feel sorry for anyone who has lost loved ones in tragic circumstances. It is a horror to deal with death. Police officers amongst other professions deal with death on a regular basis. On Sunday morning I not only had to attend the death of a 15 day old baby, I had to hold and inspect the deceased and deal with the grief of the family whilst doing my duties and deal with the afterwards that goes through your mind. Now add to that crap the fact this bloke has discovered that it is his own son who is deceased is beyond words. I really feel for him and I hope in the course of my duties I never have to go through the same situation.
Old 22-10-2007, 07:44 PM   #37
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc351
Youre right, but its not a Police bias. Its a media bias, the story as it is sells better than 'hoon'. One has nothing to do with the other, the story is the media responsibility, not Police.
And in this case the story was ' Police Officer come across dead Son in Crash', not 'Speeding morons kill themselves'!

I feel for this guy as a Father, not an Officer!

Further, but not attached to fmc351's thread, Most Police officers go through there career without the tragic events which come with stumbling upon a fatality, but they sign up knowing that it is a very likely possibility, fully aware of the rate of pay. We all have a job, and take the good with the bad!

Mike
Old 22-10-2007, 07:53 PM   #38
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum
I feel sorry for anyone who has lost loved ones in tragic circumstances. It is a horror to deal with death. Police officers amongst other professions deal with death on a regular basis. On Sunday morning I not only had to attend the death of a 15 day old baby, I had to hold and inspect the deceased and deal with the grief of the family whilst doing my duties and deal with the afterwards that goes through your mind. Now add to that crap the fact this bloke has discovered that it is his own son who is deceased is beyond words. I really feel for him and I hope in the course of my duties I never have to go through the same situation.

Hypothetically speaking, What beats me is the scenario where you find in two weeks that this very dad caused it! Its a weird weird world!

Love your work though Red!
Old 22-10-2007, 08:22 PM   #39
normxb
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Location: Sitting on the Dunny , Contemplating "What to do Next".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum
Redrum,
I can understand completely.

It's "very" hard on you guy's having to "do that knock on the door"

It's also soul destroying for the person "opening that door"

This fellow had "both" at the one time .

Norm

Keeping FORDS in the family

(Embarressment :yeees: , Son now has a "Camira" : )
"Look Right , Look Left , Look Right , BEFORE crossing Roads"
Old 22-10-2007, 08:22 PM   #40
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNM96
Hypothetically speaking, What beats me is the scenario where you find in two weeks that this very dad caused it! Its a weird weird world!

Love your work though Red!
So I was right all along when I was convinced that the pink elephant convinced my friend to hang himself (I lost a mate 2 years ago).

Your hypothetical is a little far-fetched.

Don't snap my undies.
Old 22-10-2007, 08:29 PM   #41
samftr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

poor bugger, too many shitbags around this country that have no idea what its like to be a respectable member of society.

I take my hat off to any emergency service worker. they are there and serve our country putting their lives on the line every day.

Felcen!
Old 22-10-2007, 08:29 PM   #42
la2or
Your Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPGMH
Terrible way to find out, but in reality its the actual loss that's devastating. The majority of the people shot by police have a parent/s that would be going through similar emotions as this man. Pity him but not because he is a policeman.
when police shoot people they usually deserve it imo.

like in maryborough that bikie stabbed and paralysed a guy at foodworks maryborough the cops should be allowed to shoot anyone wielding a knife openly and acting like a not once he started stabbing someone.
Old 22-10-2007, 08:37 PM   #43
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by la2or

like in maryborough that bikie stabbed and paralysed a guy at foodworks maryborough the cops should be allowed to shoot anyone wielding a knife openly and acting like a not once he started stabbing someone.
Apostrophes would make your posts a lot easier to read...

Also, whenever police pull the trigger, there is a review to ensure that the use of the firearm was justifiable. You can't just shoot...trigger happy cops are dangerous.

There is a reason why police now have pepper spray and truncheons.

Also, to shoot a man in a public place poses a risk to other people as a wayward bullet may harm other people.

The solution is not as simple as you would like...

Don't snap my undies.
Old 22-10-2007, 08:51 PM   #44
la2or
Your Hero

IT is simple.

of course they should have reviews they should have cameras and stuff recording.

But cops are made to use pepper spray and batons when really it would be best if they shot some people.

Like a kick or punch can be fatal if a career criminal (multiple convictions no doubt of him being guilty) is trying to attack them it would be ideal if the police were allowed to shoot them.
Old 22-10-2007, 09:23 PM   #45
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
And in this case the story was ' Police Officer come across dead Son in Crash', not 'Speeding morons kill themselves'!

I feel for this guy as a Father, not an Officer!
All those headlines are the media. Place blame where it belongs. The thread is why police deserve respect, not what is wrong with the media.

I feel for him as both.
Quote:
Further, but not attached to fmc351's thread, Most Police officers go through there career without the tragic events which come with stumbling upon a fatality, but they sign up knowing that it is a very likely possibility, fully aware of the rate of pay. We all have a job, and take the good with the bad!

Mike
They do take on the responsibility and everything that comes with it, and if you think they are unaware of that, youd be wrong. None of that changes the fact its a situation no-one should have to face, and most wont ever have to.

What does this mean for respect? They still choose to do the job. I hear you already, "yes, they choose it so its their choice". Very good, we all know that, maybe one of us is missing a point. I know it isnt me, I clearly see what youre saying as Ive just said it. But hey, Im prepared to listen and hear you if you have something better than just that, are you prepared to listen? You know really listen, have your view changed if proven wrong or do you look for excuses to justify missing the point?

You see it as they took the risk, its unfortunate but basically bad luck for them, they knew the risks and are paid for it.

I see them as people who see a bigger picture, and I applaud their commitment to society. I see people prepared to take a risk, a risk that is necessary for society, someone needs to take that risk, and they stand to do it. And cant be paid anywhere near enough for that.

Remember we're talking in generalisations here, just because you know or experienced one or two 'bad ones', does not equate to all. A more accurate generalisation is that most actually care. Id argue that a more likely truth is most people who 'remember' the 'bad ones', forget why, or worse, actually have no idea of what they themselves did to bring that on themselves.
Quote:
IT is simple.

of course they should have reviews they should have cameras and stuff recording.

But cops are made to use pepper spray and batons when really it would be best if they shot some people.

Like a kick or punch can be fatal if a career criminal (multiple convictions no doubt of him being guilty) is trying to attack them it would be ideal if the police were allowed to shoot them.
Speaking of missing the point.

The 'not as simple' remark was not simply Police should not or should shoot in the situation you described, just that thats not the only variable on officer on the spot must consider. The crime in question is not his only concern. There is the general public and less obvious repercussions of the officers actions.

As in, the bullet may miss, yet hit someone 50 meters away.
Old 22-10-2007, 09:23 PM   #46
RIPGMH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

You miss my point entirely, it doesn't matter if they deserve to be shot or if the person driving the car was at fault the fact is that a parent is losing their child.
Old 22-10-2007, 09:52 PM   #47
fordxrtfan

I just think it is an absolute tragedy that any parent (police or not) has to come accross their own child in any circumstance like this

Winter White
6 Speed Manual, Sunroof, Premium Audio System, Side Airbags, Bluetooth, DVD Satellite Navigation, Reverse Parking Sensor, Ipod/MP3 kit, Tinted windows, Brembos, Enkei RPO3 wheels
Phase 3 kit, installed & tuned by Autotech 332rwkw
!!FOR SALE!!
Old 23-10-2007, 12:20 AM   #48
banarcus
hmm eyebrows

Yep, nothing like rocking up to a job where old mate eyeballs are hanging out after his head exploded from a head on collision. Perhaps some of the doubters here could put their hands up for some educating and perhaps sign up with the SES who are not paid anything but volunteer their time. There are a couple of little boys posting here that may have kids in the future where their perpective on life changes for the better and perhaps then will understand this subject.
Old 23-10-2007, 06:28 AM   #49
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc351
I see them as people who see a bigger picture, and I applaud their commitment to society. I see people prepared to take a risk, a risk that is necessary for society, someone needs to take that risk, and they stand to do it. And cant be paid anywhere near enough for that.

Remember we're talking in generalisations here, just because you know or experienced one or two 'bad ones', does not equate to all. A more accurate generalisation is that most actually care. Id argue that a more likely truth is most people who 'remember' the 'bad ones', forget why, or worse, actually have no idea of what they themselves did to bring that on themselves.

exactly!!

can't believe the some of the comments in this thread. i've been caught by the police but never for something i didn't do. when i was younger i got upset but as you get older you get a little wiser. i also have a family now as well which does change the way you think as well.

some people carry on as though the world without law enforcement would be a better place.

also remember that police are just that as well - law enforcement! they don't make the laws. they are also a little leniant at times as well. i've driven past a cop holding a speed detection device on the wrong side of the limit a number of times and just been given a gesture instead of a 'pull over' signal.
Old 23-10-2007, 10:32 AM   #50
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
IT is simple.
i can think of 1 person who should be on the receiving end right now...
Old 23-10-2007, 11:51 AM   #51
Eaglexr

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,22623085-2,00.html

just saw this on news.com. what a horrible thing for that man to go through.

we've all bagged cops before, myself included, but this is an illustration of just how tough their job can be and why they at times seem to have very little tolerance.

what makes it a little worse is that his son's mates were breaking the law at the time by driving on L plates unsupervised.

Next time you have an altercation with a cop and he/she seems a little grumpy or whatever, just spare a thought for what some of them have to go through from time to time.

I realise its not just cops that have to deal with this type of thing though. A lot of ambo's must live in fear as well, wondering what they will find every time there's a call out.
Good on you for making light of that fact.
Everyone should respect police,I can't even fathom what that officer is going through.
This is a worst case scenario and goes to show that no matter how obscure your view is of police,they deal with the worst of situations the likes of which the rest of us could not even contemplate.
Old 23-10-2007, 02:49 PM   #52
la2or
Your Hero

I bet none you even own firearms or shot them you probably just watch michael moore and believe you are an authority on the matter.

A psycho with a knife is far more likely to hurt you than the stray bullet in the situation i gave.

a knife is more fatal than a bullet on average. 1/3 stabbed people die but 1/10 shot people die.
Old 23-10-2007, 03:19 PM   #53
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I bet none you even own firearms or shot them you probably just watch michael moore and believe you are an authority on the matter.

A psycho with a knife is far more likely to hurt you than the stray bullet in the situation i gave.

a knife is more fatal than a bullet on average. 1/3 stabbed people die but 1/10 shot people die.
Police don't play percentages. They say, "Is there a chance to hurt somebody with a stray bullet?"
If there is, they won't shoot.

I don't watch Michael Moore. I also make sense when I type.

The police don't shoot first and ask later; they try to resolve any conflicts peacefully. Shooting is a last-resort and not the first one, like you are suggesting.

Please don't bother arguing your point anymore...this is really going nowhere productive.

Don't snap my undies.
Old 23-10-2007, 06:05 PM   #54
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:

And this has what to do with topic ?
Closed Thread